Xaoc Devices Sarajewo: Syncable Analog Delay Line SHIPPING NOW!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Devices Sarajewo: Syncable Analog Delay Line SHIPPING NOW!

Post by Carrousel » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:11 pm

Powerdwarf wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:42 pm
hi there. any opinions on this opinion? :] found it on fb discussion in euro thread. sounds smart, interesting what the owners think

I’m not fully sure what the poster means. It does irk me that they went with triplet time divisions in between the regular divisions - for my musical tastes dotted divisions would have been more use, but I don’t notice any atonal trails? Perhaps they mean with very short delay times as when attempting Karplus-strong synthesis; perhaps the chosen divisions don’t work well then? But surely you would want to use it unclocked in that instance? I’m just not sure what they mean.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Powerdwarf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Powerdwarf » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:35 pm

yeah I think he means that when you sync and change time rate it transfers in a non musical way i guess. heres end of the full reply of his

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Oh right, I can confidently say that’s utter rubbish then :lol: the Sarajewo sounds better than most other delays I’ve used when modulating time under synced conditions.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:45 pm

I get what he’s saying, but I like the sound - and his exaggerated comments about the sound are pretty ridiculous. Pretty insufferable.

Powerdwarf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Powerdwarf » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:54 pm

yeah but it doesnt mean we dont need to know things as it costs over 400 eur even though maybe he is overestimating his insights. i also think that sound comes first and sarajewo nails it in bbd department. but there are other things where a word from developers would be interesting to hear, on this thing for example

gregtronic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gregtronic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:38 pm

Also, with a little bit of effort he could certainly patch what he was looking for with the sarejewo. It's not a digital delay so he shouldn't be expecting things like that in the first place. Would be fun to see if you could make it track decently as a pitch delay using reaktor or max or something. Might have to try that.
WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi MKII

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:36 am

Carrousel wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:11 pm
Powerdwarf wrote:
hi there. any opinions on this opinion? :] found it on fb discussion in euro thread. sounds smart, interesting what the owners think

I’m not fully sure what the poster means. It does irk me that they went with triplet time divisions in between the regular divisions - for my musical tastes dotted divisions would have been more use, but I don’t notice any atonal trails? Perhaps they mean with very short delay times as when attempting Karplus-strong synthesis; perhaps the chosen divisions don’t work well then? But surely you would want to use it unclocked in that instance? I’m just not sure what they mean.
I think what he's referring to is that Xaoc could have made the delay time move in musical chunks as it's a bbd

If you look at the Chase Bliss Thermae (it's a pedal)
It does exactly what he's wanting. It has BBD chips inside, but you're able to select 3rd, 5th, Octave in either direction.

I have one and it's wonderful, however I do wish it was inside a eurorack module instead.

I've also been considering getting a Sarajevo, hoping I could use it in the same way as the Thermae, but looks like I definitely can't.

Xaoc, if you're reading, would it be possible to add a musical way to divide or times the delay to make them 3rds/5ths/Octave pitch shifting?

Powerdwarf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Powerdwarf » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:36 am
Carrousel wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:11 pm
Powerdwarf wrote:

I think what he's referring to is that Xaoc could have made the delay time move in musical chunks as it's a bbd

If you look at the Chase Bliss Thermae (it's a pedal)
It does exactly what he's wanting. It has BBD chips inside, but you're able to select 3rd, 5th, Octave in either direction.

I have one and it's wonderful, however I do wish it was inside a eurorack module instead.

I've also been considering getting a Sarajevo, hoping I could use it in the same way as the Thermae, but looks like I definitely can't.

Xaoc, if you're reading, would it be possible to add a musical way to divide or times the delay to make them 3rds/5ths/Octave pitch shifting?

yeah, exactly. looks like a killer pedal by the way :]

xaoc_tech
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xaoc_tech » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:05 am

But we already do. That post on Facebook is ridiculously confusing. Sarajewo offers multiplications and divisions of the tapped and externally synced tempo by using integer ratios + 2/3 and 3/2. This is a standard set of factors that is employed by countless other delays, as it offers musical relationships both harmonically and rhythmically. These numbers exactly yield perfect thirds, fifths, octaves etc, also when stacked (applied on a series of echos). Please, listen to the demo.

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 am

xaoc_tech wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:05 am
But we already do. That post on Facebook is ridiculously confusing. Sarajewo offers multiplications and divisions of the tapped and externally synced tempo by using integer ratios + 2/3 and 3/2. This is a standard set of factors that is employed by countless other delays, as it offers musical relationships both harmonically and rhythmically. These numbers exactly yield perfect thirds, fifths, octaves etc, also when stacked (applied on a series of echos). Please, listen to the demo.
That's amazing.
Thank you.

Sounds like that guy on the Facebook post is confused.

Will check out the demo for sure!

Is it possible to step through from 3rd to 5th to Octave via CV to achieve melodies?

xaoc_tech
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xaoc_tech » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:47 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 am
Is it possible to step through from 3rd to 5th to Octave via CV to achieve melodies?
Yes. But please keep in mind that Sarajewo is a delay, not a pitch shifter. The change of pitch is a side effect. It lasts only for the new length of the delay line after the change of delay time.

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:43 am

xaoc_tech wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:47 am
peachesandbacon wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 am
Yes. But please keep in mind that Sarajewo is a delay, not a pitch shifter. The change of pitch is a side effect. It lasts only for the new length of the delay line after the change of delay time.
Yup, I understand it's giving a pitch shifting effect due to the jump in delay time.

What would be the best way to modulate it to jump around those pitches?

Also would you mind saying what you're using as a sound source in this demo video?

Is it all Odessa?

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Post by Raymond » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:20 am

As of now this is only effect I'll be willing to put inside my rack. It just sounds and looks amazing.
New EP releasing on 10th may 2021 -->
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/raymond4/snowman

Morog Far
Common Wiggler

Post by Morog Far » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:10 pm

I explicitly love the pitch shifting from changing synced tempo! I mostly tend to send it an attenuated, slow, erratic LFO to let it skip between two or three brackets every once in a while. Sometimes so that it just changes the tempo very briefly before going back. Rarely larger steps than that, I like to do that manually when the momentum of the track calls for it.

Fastus
Better safe than sober

Post by Fastus » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:13 pm

A little first run-thru using the Sarajewo mainly as a feedback sound source with a little melodic sequence at the end. Hope this might be useful.
"If fame is a penthouse in Manhattan, you're living in a yurt in Mongolia" - C. Berton Irwin

NEWEST RELEASE: https://fastus.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/fastus
www.soundcloud.com/problivion

Powerdwarf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Powerdwarf » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:36 am

Fastus wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:13 pm
A little first run-thru using the Sarajewo mainly as a feedback sound source with a little melodic sequence at the end. Hope this might be useful.
thanks. Anyone else with demos? would be nice to hear more stuff from it

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:52 am

Fastus wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:13 pm
This is absolutely lovely, What's the sound source you're using in the melodic bit at the end?

Fastus
Better safe than sober

Post by Fastus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:07 am

Many thanks... It's an E370 in wavetable mode - periodically the Y-parameter is slowly swept by a PEG
"If fame is a penthouse in Manhattan, you're living in a yurt in Mongolia" - C. Berton Irwin

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Amazing.
That’s the super wideboy hp-wise right?

Fastus
Better safe than sober

Post by Fastus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 pm

Sure, but it contains 4 oscillators, not to mention a Suez-canal-clogging container ship full of added functionality - in fact I think it'd be an ideal start for a compact system, along with a Quad VCA or two.

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 pm

Fastus wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 pm
Sure, but it contains 4 oscillators, not to mention a Suez-canal-clogging container ship full of added functionality - in fact I think it'd be an ideal start for a compact system, along with a Quad VCA or two.
Maybe one day I'll pick one up.

What other modules in far less HP would achieve a sound like that?

Sarajewo ORDERED by the way!
very excited. I feel I can't own enough different delays, my favourite and most used effect BY FAR!

Powerdwarf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Powerdwarf » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:35 pm

peachesandbacon wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 pm
Fastus wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 pm
Maybe one day I'll pick one up.

What other modules in far less HP would achieve a sound like that?

Sarajewo ORDERED by the way!
very excited. I feel I can't own enough different delays, my favourite and most used effect BY FAR!
congrats, repeat the repeats!
Last edited by Powerdwarf on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Powerdwarf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Powerdwarf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:18 am

also one question, can it go to flangerish territory? is 20ms shortest time as indicated in manual is from t1 output or t3, which would mean that t1 is even shorter that that?

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:38 am

Powerdwarf wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:18 am
also one question, can it go to flangerish territory? is 20ms shortest time as indicated in manual is from t1 output or t3, which would mean that t1 is even shorter that that?
Happy to report back as soon as it arrives.

You can certainly do this sort of thing with Mimeophon, which is another fave delay.
Mimeophon will go so tight it's almost a chorus at times in Zone 1

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 am

haven't experimented with this, but yes, you can patch t1 output into the feedback in, that would result in the shortest delay path. I'm not sure if it goes short enough to go into flanger territory, though.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”