Introducing Chainsaw - 4hp polyphonic supersaw oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Re: Introducing Chainsaw - 4hp polyphonic supersaw oscillator

Post by mamonu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:13 pm

studio460 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 pm
Sysagent wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:13 pm
Anyone managed to use this VCO with MI’s Stages to generate 3x CV inputs for it please and if so any advise prior to it arriving around this thanks?
I also own Stages (two of 'em), so I would also like to know this. I don't do a lot of chromatic pieces in modular, so I'm not eager to spend the cash on Arpitecht/Triad set-up, but I would like to play all three v/oct-inputs using simple triads. Still, I'm totally excited to use Chainsaw as my go-to fuzzy bassline instrument even if I have to play it monophonically at first.

Although I don't have three Javelins, this will be paired with the one Javelin I own for some quick monophonic compositions until I can find a cheap polyphonic solution. Again, this is an area with which I'm completely unfamiliar, but wouldn't I be able to mult the CV-pitch output from my kb37 then use two precision-adders to get the other two notes of a triad to play?
since Chainsaw is stereo out i would think something like a stereo filter , one envelope and a stereo vca will do nicely.
However just one Javelin (ENV+VCA right) will do basically initially before going into stereo modules. And you will know if you like the sound and like to expand a bit more
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:17 pm

willing trade my braids for this.... thats a nice sound for a single module...

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:18 pm

mamonu wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:13 pm
. . . since Chainsaw is stereo out i would think something like a stereo filter , one envelope and a stereo vca will do nicely.
However just one Javelin (ENV+VCA right) will do basically initially before going into stereo modules. And you will know if you like the sound and like to expand a bit more
Ah, right. It's such an interesting module—doing something so simple, yet doing it exceedingly well with a clear, focused purpose. Yes, that all makes sense—thanks! I have several stereo-filters and VCAs, so this will be very fun to experiment with.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:36 pm

af3ld wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:07 pm
Toppobrillo Quantimator is an option . . .
As far as I can tell, this should do the trick—thanks! I just grabbed one off Reverb for $160. Even if it doesn't do what I think, it looks like a very interesting module!

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:52 pm

Sysagent wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:13 pm
Anyone managed to use this VCO with MI’s Stages to generate 3x CV inputs for it please and if so any advise prior to it arriving around this thanks?
You could use Stages’ orange mode on three outputs, but then that’d only give you a fixed chord with no way to transpose it.
You’d need at least 2 precision adders and a buff x3 mult to make it move. Send the 1v/O from the sequencer to the mult input, send the first mult output to chainsaw input 1, send the second mult output to the precision adder and add an offset from Stages’ orange mode, repeat the last step with third mult output using a different Stages segment, patch the two precision adder outputs to Chainsaw input #2 and #3, job done. :mrgreen:
That’s the reason why I got a Joranalogue Add2.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:22 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:52 pm
Thanks for posting all that info! So with a Joranalogue Add2, you only need the buffered multiple? Although I think I'm all set with the Toppobrillo Quantimator now (thanks again, af3ld!), how do you tell a precision-adder how much to "add?" I assume you send it a specific voltage?

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:50 pm

studio460 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:11 pm
gentle_attack wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm
studio460 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:28 am
Thanks. But, shouldn't I be able to do this with an o_C (e.g., Harrington 1200-mode)? "This," being, sending a root-note from my Waldorf kb37 via its CV-pitch output, then having the o_C add two additional notes a certain amount of steps away from that note (i.e., to form a triad)? Then take three of the o_C's outputs and send them to the three v/oct-inputs on the Chainsaw?

I'm not an expert on Harrington 1200 but that should work. o_C is definitely a good tool for something like this because it can quantize... but you just have to think about if/how you want to input the CV for pitch2 or pitch3- will those be constant intervals from your "played" note . . .
Thank you for that detailed reply! Yes, I would only want to generate the two other notes at a constant interval from the "played" note; i.e., I would simply like to play triads in a certain scale. My music theory is virtually nil, so maybe what I said isn't even correct.
You're making sense - this is a pretty basic application so shouldn't be too tough. The octave example is the easiest.

If your keyboard CV is outputting 0v which will create a C0 tone on oscillator 1
If you want Oscillator 2 to be C1, you need to add 1v to get your 1v/Oct Oscillator to play a C but higher octave. You could do that with an offset voltage, you will multi the Keyboard's 0v, then add to it offset's 1v using a precision adder, for a total of 1v, and then run that to Oscillator 2. Keyboard CV hitting Osc1, Keyboard CV + 1v hits Osc 2. You play D0 you get D0 and D1.

If you want to do a perfect fifth, you need to go up 7 semitones, so you need to add (7/12)*1v = 0.583v to get Oscillator 2 play a fifth. If you play a C on the keyboard, you get a C on Osc1 and a G on Osc2. Play a D on keyboard, D on Osc1 and A on Osc2, and so on.

The only rub with this set up is that you will hope your offset voltage can be fine tuned to the value you want (1v in example 1 or 0.583v in example 2), and don't bump that knob! The nice thing about Quantizers is that they can do some rounding, according to your wishes, so even if your offset is on 1.13v, you can set the quantizer to round that back down to 1v. According to your settings ("rules" basically) you can do all kinds of voltage math and logic to get complex Control Voltages... but then the Quantizer can lock that back down, according to your settings, to a specific scale, or even a few notes, to that the madness all comes back to the CV values, and therefore notes of the scale, that you want to be working wtih.

Now making "music' with this is a whole 'nother adventure, but purely from an intellectual "math as music" standpoint it is pretty interesting.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:34 pm

Wow! Thanks for that detailed reply! I think I understand a bit better. Again, this is all new to me, since I rarely considering doing anything chromatic in modular (I have a ton of fixed-architecture synths). Thanks again for the explanation—much appreciated!
Last edited by studio460 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:34 am

studio460 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:22 pm
how do you tell a precision-adder how much to "add?" I assume you send it a specific voltage?
That’s correct, you need a precise voltage source. You might struggle to use Stages’ sliders for that as they are not the most precise control source.

A precision adder doesn’t do anything more than adding two signals without a drop in voltage, so that it can be used to add two or more 1V/o signals without losing their original tuning. In the same way a buffered mult splits the signal without a drop. On the other hand using non buffered mults and mixers to do your adding might still work, but it could be a real struggle to stay in tune.
That’s the reason why Arpitecht+Triad is popular with Chainsaw as it gives you three quantised outputs which is a lot easier.

Sysagent
Common Wiggler

Post by Sysagent » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:04 am

Many thanks all for the replies, much appreciated as always!

Guess I am gonna have to get creative or use this VCO in mono mode only, as I literally have zero room anywhere rack wise or room wise to handle anymore Eurorack equipment or otherwise lol...

Infact I am removing Sono Abitus module to make way for the Chainsaw, as I can go direct from my beads into a mixer, which I have been using it primarily for.
"The Most Annoying Man In The World..."

dro
Common Wiggler

Post by dro » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 am

studio460 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:22 pm
Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:52 pm
Thanks for posting all that info! So with a Joranalogue Add2, you only need the buffered multiple? Although I think I'm all set with the Toppobrillo Quantimator now (thanks again, af3ld!), how do you tell a precision-adder how much to "add?" I assume you send it a specific voltage?
If you have the space for 6hp you should consider frap tools 333. It gives you three channels that can be used either as unity mixers or buffered multiples. It's precise enough to accurately add voltages for pitch sequencing too. Super useful utility! It's also only $99 which is likelier cheaper than buying a buffered multiple and an adder.

Sonic0boom
Common Wiggler

Post by Sonic0boom » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:21 am

If anyone is interesting in picking up a Chainsaw, i noticed that Perfect Circuit has them currently on sale for $235 which is a bit more than the usual 10% off.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:41 pm

dro wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 am
If you have the space for 6hp you should consider frap tools 333. It gives you three channels that can be used either as unity mixers or buffered multiples. It's precise enough to accurately add voltages for pitch sequencing too. Super useful utility! It's also only $99 which is likelier cheaper than buying a buffered multiple and an adder.
Thanks! Yup, a 333 is likely in my future when available. The 321s and 333s are so well designed and affordably priced, they sell out as soon as they're stocked. Will try to pick one up on the next run.

Sysagent
Common Wiggler

Post by Sysagent » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:11 pm

It’s good and I like it.

I have all three voices being triggered at once by the BeatStep Pro and I have managed this by using a mult into stages where the pitch CV is distributed to three CV inputs. Then I have left the sliders all in the same position to send CV to all three of the VCO inputs on the chainsaw (not true chords I know).

I am then running the output into Streams (levels being handled by Peaks ADSR) and then into a stereo VCA and finally into my mixer.

Not ideal I know, but until I work out how to make my room into a tardis it will have to suffice for the time being.

Sysagent
Common Wiggler

Post by Sysagent » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:15 pm

Infact on reflection (just thinking on this right now), I don’t even need to stick the CV inputs into stages, I could probably just mult it directly Into the Chainsaw lol...

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:34 pm

Got my Chainsaw and a Toppobrillo Quantimator—works great! Playing Lydian-mode (3) triads from the pitch CV-output on my kb37 through a WMD Javelin ADSR. This module has a really distinct sound: Big, fuzzy, and fun—it doesn't even need a filter to sound good; in fact, it sounds better without a filter.

The pre-programmed modes in the Quantimator make for instant-compositional ideas: Just laid down a Lydian-mode Chainsaw chord-progression, a Waldorf Quantum low-drone through my Source Audio Collider reverb/delay and a weird Blade Runner Prophet-6 lead through my Eventide Blackhole—whoa! You can make actual music with this thing!

I thought I was gonna make simple bass-lines with this—but no, it offers a whole palette of creative sounds!
Last edited by studio460 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 am, edited 10 times in total.

Sysagent
Common Wiggler

Post by Sysagent » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:10 am

Well you know I said I had no more room (in another thread I think)... I am building upwards.

Ordered an Arpitecht+Triad combo and some other Joranalogue modules in a Tip Top Happy Ending Case.

It is my 3rd Tip Top stacked on top of a Behringer three tier case for the Pro 1, etc lol.

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 am

I suspect Acid Rain Technology originally thought they’d piggy back on Triads’ sales but I bet they weren’t expecting driving Arpitecht’s sales up all on their own! :hihi:

I’m in love with my Arpitecht, probably my desert island module at the moment (if I’m allowed an additional voice that is!). For the last few weeks I’ve been using it in place of a sequencer in my small case, it’s so much fun. On the other hand, I wish it could drive the chords with its arpeggiator (and have an extra accent output, but eh, you can also achieve all these things with some fun creative patching).

afaafa
Common Wiggler

Post by afaafa » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:01 pm

Considering getting one of these, but I wish the detune knob had a larger range to play with. Ideally at the high end it would spread out to open fifths, maybe even octaves for huge pads. Then you could get some fun harmonic colors and THX effects.

Does anyone know if the firmware is editable, or if Acid Rain is open to feature requests?

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:09 pm

afaafa wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:01 pm
Does anyone know if the firmware is editable, or if Acid Rain is open to feature requests?
I’ve contacted them with one of my requests and Ryan came back to me and said that the update process sadly wasn’t user friendly enough for updates.
He did kindly suggested some other solutions to me. They seem like genuinely nice people, very enthusiastic and friendly.

lomma-kommun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lomma-kommun » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:49 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:09 pm
afaafa wrote:
I’ve contacted them with one of my requests and Ryan came back to me and said that the update process sadly wasn’t user friendly enough for updates.
He did kindly suggested some other solutions to me. They seem like genuinely nice people, very enthusiastic and friendly.

Bummer I hoped for an update with more waves on the“wawetable” knob.

But I still love mine

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:32 pm

Would love to see a Chainsaw Plus with 4 voices to pair with a Sinfonion.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
afaafa wrote:
Huh???
They released an update last March, it’s mentioned in this thread a couple pages back.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:46 pm

Zymos wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm
Kosmikos wrote:
afaafa wrote:
Huh???
They released an update last March, it’s mentioned in this thread a couple pages back.
Yeah, they also talked about alternative firmwares when they launched it; saying an alternate FM mode was in the works.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 pm

Yeah, this module is a bit on the pricey side, but wow—I can't say enough about it. Is it the saw-through-squarewave knob that's doing it, or what? I've got a unique sound from this that I can't easily replicate on an eight-voice poly or a 256-voice ROMpler. The detune knob is great. Plus its simplicity makes it even more impressive.

Sending a note/gate from my kb37 with the Quantimator creating a mode-specific triad is a real sonic treat. Kinda changed my whole approach to modular. Now I've been inspired to create actual chromatic pieces with my rack instead of just sound-effects. This module fills the "gap" between my keyboarded synths and my modular stuff. Great job, Acid Rain guys and gals!
Buyakasoundman wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:46 pm
Yeah, they also talked about alternative firmwares when they launched it; saying an alternate FM mode was in the works.
An FM-mode? That would be crazy!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”