Introducing Chainsaw - 4hp polyphonic supersaw oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Introducing Chainsaw - 4hp polyphonic supersaw oscillator

Post by BenA718 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:03 am

Hello Chainsaw owners!

I’m seriously considering getting a Solar 50 and started looking at more space-saving alternatives when I remembered the Chainsaw. This has made me think that perhaps I would be better off with 2 or 3 Chainsaws instead of a single Solar 50.

Performance aspects aside, the differences as I see them would be:
Easier and more stable tuning
6/9 voices vs 10
44/63 VCOs vs 50
Morphable waveforms vs just one
Ability to use different filters per stereo pair

I have plenty of sequencing and envelopes (NerdSeq, Subharmonicon, BeatStep Pro).

My questions for Chainsaw owners:
1 How capable is the Chainsaw for massive drone/ambient pads? Whilst not my ONLY reason for getting it, it is my major one
2 How close can I get to a CS-80 ish brass pad with the Chainsaw?
3 Is there anything else that would consider I look at as an alternative?

Thanks in advance!

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:41 pm

Following this thread and no answers hmm. Are people still happy with the chainsaw?
Can I hear some music you made with it?

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:08 pm

I still haven’t tried anything drony with it, so I cannot comment much on that.
I have it in my Palette case currently as the “only oscillator” with an Arpitecht/Triad combo and a bunch of utilities to try to control the whole thing. I’m trying to warp my head around these modules before they all rejoin my bigger case.
I think it’s a difficult module to integrate, it is small but “high maintenance” as it requires lots of utilities to make the best of it. I wouldn’t qualify the sound as massive, but I’m using it in mono at the moment, and it loses a lot of its girth in mono imho.
Personally I miss an exponential FM mode but this might not be a problem for many people, and at least it has linear FM.
So it might be only 4HP, but you will have to own a few modules to feed it 3 CV/O, then a stereo filter to make the best of it.
On the plus side, there are tons of ways to use it, and I think this is a slow burner module that will challenge me and keep me entertained for a long time!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:27 pm

I’m happy with it. I feed it chords from Vector. It’s not a flavor I want everyday, but when I do it’s perfect.

At 4HP, it’s not something I’m going to sell to free up space. As said above, it’s not really standalone- I don’t usually filter it, but you probably want a dual VCA and a couple of envelopes. Which most people are likely to have already.

I’m sure I have some tracks on SC or Bandcamp that use it, I’ll try to post some links.

But if the concept is at all appealing, go for it. It does what it is supposed to very well, and is small and relatively inexpensive.

troux
Common Wiggler

Post by troux » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 pm

I'm a big fan of it though I always end up accidentally using it in weird ways like as a drum or something. I think it fills a niche in Eurorack that's small but otherwise kind of empty, so for 4HP imho it's a great module.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:03 am

Thanks so much for all the replies, I have the uTune with an expander and ... well ok, might just show you my rack

I am thinking about selling one of my disting, as I dont really use it that much.

Really liked all the demos I heard, but I am afraid I will use it as mono as well with some octaves apart.

I got a third EG and the expander after the picture was taken
63181334516__BB40AAC2-3C78-45D0-B3FA-E7B2C350523C.jpg

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:50 pm

Howdy! Been a while since we've been really active on here but yesterday came across this really nice video featuring Chainsaw and Beads and thought I'd share :)

We love seeing what you're doing with our modules!

Ryan

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:04 pm

troux wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 pm
I'm a big fan of it though I always end up accidentally using it in weird ways like as a drum or something. I think it fills a niche in Eurorack that's small but otherwise kind of empty, so for 4HP imho it's a great module.
That reminds me that I actually used it on my last track as FX, lowest position of the tuning knob, plugged into an FXAid reverb while modulating its Sample Rate Reducer. Really cool sounding noisy/vocal ambiant effect, I won’t post here as it’s kind of OT, and it’s not at all what I got it for!

I spend another evening using it in mono on my palette case, with an LPG and a long reverb, alternating short and long gates. I noticed that I like most the sound around the 9 o'clock position on the two knobs. It’s fun but I miss a stereo mixer to take advantage of the stereo spread.

troux
Common Wiggler

Post by troux » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:04 pm
troux wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 pm
That reminds me that I actually used it on my last track as FX, lowest position of the tuning knob, plugged into an FXAid reverb while modulating its Sample Rate Reducer. Really cool sounding noisy/vocal ambiant effect, I won’t post here as it’s kind of OT, and it’s not at all what I got it for!

I spend another evening using it in mono on my palette case, with an LPG and a long reverb, alternating short and long gates. I noticed that I like most the sound around the 9 o'clock position on the two knobs. It’s fun but I miss a stereo mixer to take advantage of the stereo spread.
You're making me want to drop it in my rack with the QPAS, if I do I'll try and record some lush vibes and share em here.

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:22 am

Xssory wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:50 pm

Howdy! Been a while since we've been really active on here but yesterday came across this really nice video featuring Chainsaw and Beads and thought I'd share :)

We love seeing what you're doing with our modules!

Ryan
I really need to try this! :yay:

I love the sound of every video I watch with Chainsaw, but I feel like I’m not getting close to their quality yet.
I think it’s a module that is really easy to start playing with, it has only three parameters after all, but is surprisingly hard to master.

I suspect one of my issue is that I turn knobs way too much, and sometime all you need is a tiny minute of rotation to reach that sweet detuned spot.
My other difficulty is that you can throw in both chords and Detune to the mix. For someone like me, that quadruples up the possibilities to get something that sounds badly out of tune. :hihi:
I really like that tuning knob though, using the push to switch between quantised and unquantised is a genius idea imho.

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:56 pm

acidbob wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:41 pm
Following this thread and no answers hmm. Are people still happy with the chainsaw?
Can I hear some music you made with it?
I’ve finally uploaded something that uses my current Arpitecht-Chainsaw-through-Steve’s-MS22-FXAid-reverb patch, unfortunately I got carried away and ended up recording it in a fight with my AI Synthesis OTA VCF that rests in my DIY rack, and it is kind of stealing the show... Anyway jump at the comment near the end to ear the Chainsaw solo.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:52 am

This sounds great! What do I need to send three v/oct. signals to it? Aside from spending $$$ for an Arpitecht + Triad, say I have a Chainsaw and a MIDI keyboard (e.g., Waldorf kb37), and want to play a triad (e.g., C-major chord). What do I need? Will a Klavis Caltrans do it?

sbergen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sbergen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 am

studio460 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:52 am
This sounds great! What do I need to send three v/oct. signals to it? Aside from spending $$$ for an Arpitecht + Triad, say I have a Chainsaw and a MIDI keyboard (e.g., Waldorf kb37), and want to play a triad (e.g., C-major chord). What do I need? Will a Klavis Caltrans do it?
I like doing octaves and fifths with a Caltrans, but doing anything more harmonically rich (like a major triad), will give you a very specific sound, as all notes will be played with that same harmony.

An Expert Sleepers FH-2 can also give you polyphonic or paraphonic CV, if you want to play the chords (I love it as a do-it-all MIDI input module).

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks! I can actually play one note from my Waldorf kb37 keyboard (which has a v/oct. output built-in) and another note from my BeatStep Pro. So I would be able to play fifths or octaves. Is there is something (cheaper) that can output a third v/oct. at a specified interval? Would a precision-adder like a Doepfer A-185-2 do the trick?

troux
Common Wiggler

Post by troux » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:27 pm

studio460 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:10 pm
Thanks! I can actually play one note from my Waldorf kb37 keyboard (which has a v/oct. output built-in) and another note from my BeatStep Pro. So I would be able to play fifths or octaves. Is there is something (cheaper) that can output a third v/oct. at a specified interval? Would a precision-adder like a Doepfer A-185-2 do the trick?
I use a Monome Crow for this but you've gotta code.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:28 am

Thanks. But, shouldn't I be able to do this with an o_C (e.g., Harrington 1200-mode)? "This," being, sending a root-note from my Waldorf kb37 via its CV-pitch output, then having the o_C add two additional notes a certain amount of steps away from that note (i.e., to form a triad)? Then take three of the o_C's outputs and send them to the three v/oct-inputs on the Chainsaw?

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:18 am

I use my Instruo Harmonaigh for this purpose (send cvs to my Chainsaw) but wouldnt also Acid Curds from O&C do something useful too... ?

you can try both O&C programs by checking if the O&C seperate outputs give what you want one at the time (before buying a Chainsaw that is :goo: )

I love mine btw. it needs a few more modules to shine but its quite useful and i needed those other modules too anyway
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:47 am

mamonu wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:18 am
. . . you can try both O&C programs by checking if the O&C seperate outputs give what you want one at the time . . .
Yeah, I dunno. Not familiar with what o_C can do at all. I'll give it a shot when I get an o_C.
mamonu wrote:
. . . before buying a Chainsaw that is . . .
Too late! I bought it anyway—it just sounds too good.

af3ld
Learning to Wiggle

Post by af3ld » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:07 pm

studio460 wrote:
Toppobrillo Quantimator is an option

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:30 pm

mamonu wrote:
I love mine btw. it needs a few more modules to shine but its quite useful and i needed those other modules too anyway
That is very true, I bought Arpitecht, Triad, Links, Add2 during my Chainsaw quest. I love them all, and Arpitecht is now one of my favourite module and wouldn’t do without it (and so with Chainsaw).

Sysagent
Common Wiggler

Post by Sysagent » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Anyone managed to use this VCO with MI’s Stages to generate 3x CV inputs for it please and if so any advise prior to it arriving around this thanks?
"The Most Annoying Man In The World..."

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Sysagent wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:13 pm
Anyone managed to use this VCO with MI’s Stages to generate 3x CV inputs for it please and if so any advise prior to it arriving around this thanks?
I also own Stages (two of 'em), so I would also like to know this. I don't do a lot of chromatic pieces in modular, so I'm not eager to spend the cash on Arpitecht/Triad set-up, but I would like to play all three v/oct-inputs using simple triads. Still, I'm totally excited to use Chainsaw as my go-to fuzzy bassline instrument even if I have to play it monophonically at first.

Although I don't have three Javelins, this will be paired with the one Javelin I own for some quick monophonic compositions until I can find a cheap polyphonic solution. Again, this is an area with which I'm completely unfamiliar, but wouldn't I be able to mult the CV-pitch output from my kb37 then use two precision-adders to get the other two notes of a triad to play?

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:05 pm

af3ld wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:07 pm
studio460 wrote:
Toppobrillo Quantimator is an option
Hmmm . . . that seems perfect! I think? Thanks!

From the product description:

"There are 2 basic modes of operation, selected with the 'mode' button:
'chord' mode derives 3 musically interrelated control-voltages from a single input source. typically the 'root' would be at the first output and be the lowest note in the triad, but with the inclusion of inverted chords, the root can invert up the scale and become the 2nd or 3rd part of the triad."

That seems to do what I'm trying to do right? Send one CV-pitch value to the module, then have it generate two additional CV-pitch outputs at a certain interval apart from the root CV-pitch. I mean, if I'm understanding that correctly.
Last edited by studio460 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm

studio460 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:28 am
Thanks. But, shouldn't I be able to do this with an o_C (e.g., Harrington 1200-mode)? "This," being, sending a root-note from my Waldorf kb37 via its CV-pitch output, then having the o_C add two additional notes a certain amount of steps away from that note (i.e., to form a triad)? Then take three of the o_C's outputs and send them to the three v/oct-inputs on the Chainsaw?

I'm not an expert on Harrington 1200 but that should work. o_C is definitely a good tool for something like this because it can quantize... but you just have to think about if/how you want to input the CV for pitch2 or pitch3- will those be constant intervals from your "played" note, or do you want it sometimes to be an octave and sometimes to be a perfect fifth, or sometimes other values ? Do you want to play one oscialltor or all 3 (might need a buffered multi to keep pitch).

Or you could use something with multiple CVs out per step, like the Pressure Points or a Mini Horse.

A precision adder like the Doepfer A-185-2 Precision CV Adder, or Mutable Links / Kinks would let you change your spacing between voices

Sequential switches, especially ones with CV, would like the send different amount of CV to different oscillators at different times.

And logic, Euclidiean sequencers, etc etc.

Now, as often happens, we can list our favorite modules ad nauseam, but since the 4hp supersaw doesn't have a quantizer (at least I don't think it does) you are probably going to want to end up in a multichannel quantizer if you want to stay on pitch, unless you are only adding and subtracting consistent and perfect CV values using a Precision adde
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:11 pm

gentle_attack wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm
studio460 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:28 am

I'm not an expert on Harrington 1200 but that should work. o_C is definitely a good tool for something like this because it can quantize... but you just have to think about if/how you want to input the CV for pitch2 or pitch3- will those be constant intervals from your "played" note . . .
Thank you for that detailed reply! Yes, I would only want to generate the two other notes at a constant interval from the "played" note; i.e., I would simply like to play triads in a certain scale. My music theory is virtually nil, so maybe what I said isn't even correct.
Last edited by studio460 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”