Introducing Chainsaw - 4hp polyphonic supersaw oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Mon May 27, 2019 11:47 pm

So.. more audio demos? :D

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 am

Hey everyone - we're hard at work on a hardware revision for this module (still going to be 4hp and have all the aforementioned features), but here's something to listen to in the meantime :cat:

[video][/video]

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:53 am

Xssory wrote:Hey everyone - we're hard at work on a hardware revision for this module (still going to be 4hp and have all the aforementioned features), but here's something to listen to in the meantime :cat:

[video][/video]
That's a most amazing demo, probably one of the more convincing (for me, at least) ones you guys have done.

What's with the hardware revision, if I may ask?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:14 am

Talk about old school ;)

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:30 pm

@versipellis - it's a combination of a few things, reducing noise on some of the inputs (very important for some of the alternate firmware ideas we have for this hardware) and a small UX change with the jacks. We will post a demo as soon as we have a new prototype!

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Sounds great. Really looking forward to picking this up. Any updates on a release date?

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:25 am

Xssory wrote:@versipellis - it's a combination of a few things, reducing noise on some of the inputs (very important for some of the alternate firmware ideas we have for this hardware) and a small UX change with the jacks. We will post a demo as soon as we have a new prototype!
You got me at alternate firmware ;) I'm beyond excited - what are you guys thinking?

mgallagher641
Common Wiggler

Post by mgallagher641 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 am

Sounds cool. Reminds me of stuff I used to do with my Nord Modular G2, stacking up a load of saws.

myenik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by myenik » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:54 pm

We've been radio silent for a while, but it's because we're hard at work! I just wanted to post a quick update to let anyone who's interested know that we're going to assemble the next batch of prototypes this upcoming weekend and test them out. There could always be some new issues since we've added a bit more to the module and split everything onto two PCBs but either this prototype or the next one should be the last. We're also currently pursuing quotes so we should have a price soon!

Here are the new boards and test panels:
You got me at alternate firmware wink I'm beyond excited - what are you guys thinking?
The device has stereo audio-rate inputs as well as outputs, so we've been playing around with ideas that include stereo reverb, stereo delay, and even a basic 4hp digital VCO (audio rate FM, sin -> triangle -> square waveshape, that sort of thing). So it's nothing we're ready to announce or be official about but we're definitely hoping to be able to use the same panel for several different 4hp modules, and possibly just sell the panels on our site individually in case anyone wants to swap out the firmware themselves. But I'm still working on the bootloader as we speak so that gives you an idea of how far along these ideas are haha... Much further out than the chainsaw module + firmware which are getting pretty close to done!

edit: fixed a typo

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:05 am

Looks great! I’m glad you added a couple inputs. Is the new “detune” the old “spread”? Is there a way to do PWM and move between saw and square at the same time?
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Footkerchief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Footkerchief » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:26 am

I dig the new layout!

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:52 pm

New layout looks cool. Happy to see more inputs as well. Really looking forward to this!

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Is the new “detune” the old “spread”? Is there a way to do PWM and move between saw and square at the same time?
Yes we are calling spread "detune" now because the module is stereo, and we didn't want any confusion with stereo spread in this case (the detune control is how far the saw or square waves get pulled up and down from the central pitch)

There is no PWM control on the Chainsaw, but now you can CV between saw and square, CV wave detune and CV FM all at the same time, even on chords!

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:36 pm

In really excited about this module
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 pm

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 track=454051406 size=large bgcol=333333 linkcol=ffffff tracklist=false artwork=small]

Here is some more audio while we wrap up the final details before production!
This is a single chainsaw voice sequenced by a Metropolis + some quantized square LFOs for a sort of "lead and chord" sound. The chainsaw is fed through a stereo filter and reverb in an ER-301, and kick is from a Peaks with some Tiptop 808 hats - no other post production was added.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 am

Xssory wrote:[bandcamp width=100% height=120 track=454051406 size=large bgcol=333333 linkcol=ffffff tracklist=false artwork=small]

Here is some more audio while we wrap up the final details before production!
This is a single chainsaw voice sequenced by a Metropolis + some quantized square LFOs for a sort of "lead and chord" sound. The chainsaw is fed through a stereo filter and reverb in an ER-301, and kick is from a Peaks with some Tiptop 808 hats - no other post production was added.
This is nice! By single voice, you mean solo mode?

Have you guys nailed down a price point, distributors, and release date?

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am

The latest prototype looks and sounds nice. How do the chord vs solo modes work now that the switch is gone? Is it as simple as only patching in one 1/v oct jack versus all three?

myenik wrote:
The device has stereo audio-rate inputs as well as outputs, so we've been playing around with ideas that include stereo reverb, stereo delay, and even a basic 4hp digital VCO (audio rate FM, sin -> triangle -> square waveshape, that sort of thing). So it's nothing we're ready to announce or be official about but we're definitely hoping to be able to use the same panel for several different 4hp modules, and possibly just sell the panels on our site individually in case anyone wants to swap out the firmware themselves. But I'm still working on the bootloader as we speak so that gives you an idea of how far along these ideas are haha... Much further out than the chainsaw module + firmware which are getting pretty close to done!

Nice idea, hope there is room for a sync input on the digital VCO while still keeping FM.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Is it as simple as only patching in one 1/v oct jack versus all three?
It is indeed - normalization detection on all three v/o inputs :)

This allows for duophonic operation as well

WarpHead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WarpHead » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:33 am

This is extremely high on my *need* list.

Been looking for a poly osc for chord duties with O&C and Harmonaig. Digital that tracks well and 4hp AND stereo... :hyper:

I'm figuring with saws and squares I have enough harmonic content to shape the timbre, as I'm not looking to always be in full 90s trance mode.

So three questions:
-any chance for a more subdued demo in chords mode (ie non-trance), to see the module flew its more lushy/ambient texture applications?

- any update on your quotes from the manufacturer? Would love to be in early on this. Have already picked out its spot in my main case.

- where are you guys located (and when) and where will you be shipping from?

Thanks.
Terribly excited for this!!

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
We need 22 condoms and a time machine.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:24 am

Hello all,

We are excited to announce the final feature set of the Chainsaw! Here is an image of the manual to check out:

And a quick video run down of how some of these features work (input detection for the three voices and CV over detune with chords):

[video][/video]

We've been quoting with our manufacturer and it looks like the price is going to sit somewhere around $269 - $279. We will update everyone with a final price when we nail down every last detail with them. In the meantime we took @WarpHead's advice and recorded a few samples that move away from the "trance zone", we hope this gives a peek into the many ways this oscillator can be used in your patches!

[bandcamp width=400 height=241 album=3457578627 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 artwork=small]
Last edited by Xssory on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks for the update. This looks great and the price sounds right. One other question -- can this run in mono mode for those of us not using stereo systems?

Also, what's the module in the lower right hand of the demo that you're using to arpeggiate the chainsaw?
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:22 pm

can this run in mono mode for those of us not using stereo systems?
Yep! If you use just one of the outputs, you are still hearing all of the waveforms, just a slightly different mix of them (less of the waveforms panned to the other output). The 1st bandcamp clip above is just one output of the Chainsaw straight into the mono input of the Erbe Verb for reference
what's the module in the lower right hand of the demo that you're using to arpeggiate the chainsaw?
That's the XIIO by Doboz - it's a super fun performable sequencer :) Highly recommend building one. I brought it into that rack on a whim and not I think it's gonna stay full time- perfect compliment to the Chainsaw

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Are there any plans to have a "press-and-hold-encoder to reset pitch" functionality? I've moved away from the newer Noise Engineering modules because I gig in dark clubs with my rack, and, as a klutz, my hands are always bumping into the pitch encoders. Even at 1 cent/step, it ends up drifting over time.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Are there any plans to have a "press-and-hold-encoder to reset pitch" functionality?
Yes! It has exactly this functionality - long press returns to C1 (32.7 Hz). Pitch is also saved between power cycles regardless.

Apologies for leaving this out of the draft of the manual above - this is why we review before shipping :)

WarpHead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WarpHead » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:09 am

Great stuff! Thanks for taking me up on my suggestion of the demo!

I know this is putting the cart before the horse, but any plans/info on availability in Europe? Import tax from cali is murderous sometimes over here.
We need 22 condoms and a time machine.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”