Introducing Chainsaw - 4hp polyphonic supersaw oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:38 am

Xssory wrote:
Are there any plans to have a "press-and-hold-encoder to reset pitch" functionality?
Yes! It has exactly this functionality - long press returns to C1 (32.7 Hz). Pitch is also saved between power cycles regardless.

Apologies for leaving this out of the draft of the manual above - this is why we review before shipping :)
/Thank you so much/.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:34 am

Officially moving into production on this one! Should have a pretty accurate in stock date projection for you any day now :tu:

Thank you all so much for hanging in there with us and giving some clutch suggestions on the controls - we're incredibly excited to hear the sounds you make with this module :)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:58 am

I've been waiting for this for a while. I'm on the same boat as WarpHead, I mostly need this as an ambient oscillator so I'm really looking forward to getting this overseas. Any distribution yet?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:33 am

Xssory wrote:Officially moving into production on this one! Should have a pretty accurate in stock date projection for you any day now :tu:

Thank you all so much for hanging in there with us and giving some clutch suggestions on the controls - we're incredibly excited to hear the sounds you make with this module :)
Nice! Any updates qon pricing and distribution?

mahler007
Common Wiggler

Post by mahler007 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:25 pm

must... have... one... :moneyburn:

Mr. Roboto
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Roboto » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:13 am

Their website states that they already have some distributors in Europe and as you can see, Schneiders Laden has already another module from them in stock.
So I'm pretty sure they will become available in Europe soon after the release.

Btw.: can't wait any longer as well. :hyper:
Der Sägezahn, der Sägezahn, der hat's mir angetan.

Less talk, more action!

myenik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by myenik » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 am

Hey everyone, sorry for the radio silence, we've been busy and haven't had any terribly exciting updates since we started manufacturing a week or so ago. The chainsaw and navigator are both still in production, but I think the SMT assembly phase where the circuit boards are made begins today or next week! It's going to be pretty hard to promise a firm date until the manufacturing is a little further along, but unless something goes terribly wrong we should be able to start shipping them in around 4-6 weeks! Fingers crossed...
Nice! Any updates qon pricing and distribution?
The pricing is still estimated to be $269-$279 USD, we won't know for sure until the manufacturing is done and we know the final labor costs. But we're working hard to keep those low! If you're interested in this sort of thing, here's a photo of a module auto-calibrator I've been working on that connects to the chainsaw's debug port and inputs, and calibrates the module with the press of a button. Stuff like this is to help keep our costs low!

For distribution we hope to at least distribute through any retailers that carry the switchblade, but it's up to them if they also want to carry this module, and it will take time to work with them once we get the final modules done, so it will probably be a while before they reach distributors. We'll probably offer discounted international shipping for a while until we can get the module to distributors outside the US in case there are people who'd rather not wait.

We're just as excited as anyone to get these out and making music so we'll be sure to update here with any news and final prices/dates, and maybe some more demos in the mean time.

Thanks for hanging in there while we wrap up production!

edit: forgot to mention the shipping thing, added it above

myenik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by myenik » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:41 am

It's finally happening! We got all the parts, visited our manufacturer today, and everything is on track for us to get the first batch of chainsaw modules late next week!

We've updated our site so that you can see the price and other info, and also sign up to be notified when we have them ready to ship:
https://acidraintechnology.com/products/chainsaw

If you are interested in the module, it would be super helpful if you sign up to be notified so we can know how many shipping boxes we need to prepare and stuff so we can actually fulfill a ton of orders ASAP. We won't do anything shady with your email address, it just sends an auto-generated email to acidraintech@gmail.com that goes into a folder so we can count the orders and mass reply when it's ready. We'll also post more news here too.

Really excited to hear what you all make with it!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:30 am

:hyper:

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:28 pm

We are incredibly excited to announce that the first small batch of Chainsaws are finally in stock and available for immediate delivery:

https://acidraintechnology.com/products/chainsaw

We should receive the rest of our manufacturing run hot off the soldering irons in about a week from now. We will also have a few for sale at Knobcon in Chicago Sept 7-8, if you're attending please come visit us at our table!

We really really appreciate you all sticking with us through prototyping, testing and manufacturing this new module and can't wait to hear the music you make with it! Please post here or send us an audio sample at acidraintech@gmail.com :)

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:33 pm

Nice work guys. Thanks for the good news :)

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:12 am

Ordered. Looking forward to trying this with the Sinfonion
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 am

Any chance modules from either batch will reach your European retailers?

Mr. Roboto
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Roboto » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:40 am

batch wrote:Ordered. Looking forward to trying this with the Sinfonion
Would be great if you could post some impressions (or even better: sound demos) in this AND the Sinfonion thread as well. :hyper:
Der Sägezahn, der Sägezahn, der hat's mir angetan.

Less talk, more action!

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:17 am

this looks so good, and the demo sounds AMAZEbutts

ORDERED.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 pm

Arrived today and had a quick play. First impressions are very positive - seems like an awesome little, but phat sounding oscillator. Currently got it in my small case so haven’t tried it with the Sinfonion. Am using o_C for the 1V and running it through WMD/MMF.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Any chance modules from either batch will reach your European retailers?
We're just about to ship a few off to our buddy Tim at MIDI Amsterdam!

Also in celebration of this one being in stock, here's a collection of every sequencing module I could think of that could generate a triad of CV for the Chainsaw:

If I missed anything you can think of let us know here! Really excited to hear what y'all do with this module :)[/img]

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:49 pm

lol. ordered a Triad JUST for use with the Chainsy.

it sounds SO GOOD.

been playing with the FLXS into her, doing held note layers/chords.

FUN.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:59 pm

ordered a Triad JUST for use with the Chainsy
The Triad was actually the primary inspiration for the overall interface of the Chainsaw - why isn't there a compact, multi oscillator?
been playing with the FLXS into her, doing held note layers/chords
Can't believe I forgot this one in the screenshot!

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Xssory wrote: Also in celebration of this one being in stock, here's a collection of every sequencing module I could think of that could generate a triad of CV for the Chainsaw:

If I missed anything you can think of let us know here!
I was considering getting the Chainsaw to go with my Intellijel Tetrapad. I think they are a really ideal combo, the tetrapad can be programmed to do all kinds of chords. I'm downsizing, and this looks killer for the space.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:47 am

You forgot O&C (has a Tonnetz algo) and the ADDAC306 with which can control up to five voices with one CV input.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:16 pm

first patch sending two complementary double stop/chord CV from FLXS into Chainsaw, a third tempo synced saw up LFO from FLXS into the Chainsaw's Detune jack -

[video][/video]

had sat down to play with the Panharmonium, but DAYUUUUUUUUUUUUM the Chainsaw just sounds GOOD.

joebauer
Common Wiggler

Acid Rain Technology Chainsaw

Post by joebauer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Here's a little demo vid of the chainsaw I did:

[video][/video]

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:52 am

Thanks joebauer!

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:12 pm

Huge thanks to joebauer for the demo! It's been really exciting to see how all of you are using the Chainsaw - keep em coming!

Quick update on EU retailers - currently in stock at MIDI Amsterdam, should be in soon at Schneidersladen (package on it's way) and we're very close to having some available in the UK as well! Will update here when that's finalized

@Paranormal Patroler - can't believe I forgot O+C on that list, I even have one myself and use it this way :hmm:

@cg_funk - we were just in the Patchwerks showroom the other day playing with a Tetrapad and Chainsaw - my first time on a Tetra and found it to be a really compelling combo!

@behndy - awesome patch! Love hearing CV over detune, especially the stereo field effect it creates

Return to “Eurorack Modules”