Tiptop Audio / itijik collab - CV Softeners!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

How many would you have in your arsenal?

27%
57%
16%
Too many to count.
No votes

Total votes: 37

itijik
Three eyed monster

Tiptop Audio / itijik collab - CV Softeners!

Post by itijik » Wed May 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi guys!
I'm collaborating with Gur from TipTop Audio to design this new product, and would like to gauge interest. Please comment and let us know what you think!

This is a game changer IMO. It's a slim, low cost slew limiter adapter! The working name is CV Softeners, and they do exact that...soften those sharp rising and falling edges of your control signals! Even those with WALLS of synth and plenty of slewing options will want some for quick results and ease of use. Part of a toolkit that every eurorack user should have in their arsenal. The secret weapons of patch masters!

What can they do?
- CV Softeners smooth out your signals and eliminates distracting clicks. Hear the full potential of your sounds with little additional cost!
- CV Softeners help you customize your patches inline. Save space and money!
- CV Softeners are a quick solution for common problems with little compromise. Get full range of control without additional modules!
- CV Softeners transform all of your pulse outputs to decay envelopes. You can add a simple attack and release to your gates as well!
- Re-imagine your compact modulars...Change the shape of your system with CV Softeners!

Below is a quick functional demo of the initial prototype. The new design features a jack and plug to make patching even easier! A trimmer has been added as well for speed adjustment within a given range. Multiple ranges will be available.

DEMO VID:
Last edited by itijik on Wed May 08, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Very cool - it wasn't clear to me from your description that these are outside the rack (placed between patch cables) which makes a pretty big (positive) difference in my interest. I put 5 for the poll but realistically I would probably want 2-3 of them.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Wed May 08, 2019 1:32 pm

What is so 'game changing' about this invention of yours? Looks basically just like a capacitor combined with a resistor, or what is known as a passive low-pass filter aka slew limiter?

I find the name "CV softener" and corresponding hype to be slightly disturbing.

I still might find this little 0HP thing handy in a pinch, however.

itijik
Three eyed monster

Post by itijik » Wed May 08, 2019 1:33 pm

hinterlands303 wrote:Very cool - it wasn't clear to me from your description that these are outside the rack (placed between patch cables) which makes a pretty big (positive) difference in my interest. I put 5 for the poll but realistically I would probably want 2-3 of them.
Thanks! :sb:

itijik
Three eyed monster

Post by itijik » Wed May 08, 2019 1:37 pm

cg_funk wrote:What is so 'game changing' about this invention of yours? Looks basically just like a capacitor combined with a resistor, or what is known as a passive low-pass filter aka slew limiter?

In practice they are definitely a game changer, especially when used in numbers.

Yeah marketing is necessary, but really this is a no BS product. Its a passive slew, but it will be done very well. :guinness:

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Wed May 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Are you going to make CV Sharpeners too?

chuckleone
Common Wiggler

Post by chuckleone » Wed May 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Pretty cool idea!

I have a small system so I would definitely like to have some of these.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Wed May 08, 2019 1:53 pm

itijik wrote:
cg_funk wrote:What is so 'game changing' about this invention of yours? Looks basically just like a capacitor combined with a resistor, or what is known as a passive low-pass filter aka slew limiter?

In practice they are definitely a game changer, especially when used in numbers.

Yeah marketing is necessary, but really this is a no BS product. Its a passive slew, but it will be done very well. :guinness:
Honestly, just call it a passive slew limiter and lose the BS hype. You do everything you can in your description to avoid calling it a passive slew, which is very misleading if you ask me!

Frankly, the way you wrote that copy makes it seem like you personally invented an entirely new form of passive module called a "CV softener" that turns "pulse outputs into decay envelopes". Something new and game-changing in modular! ha ha ha ha ah ah ah ah ah ahahfuahahajdfhajsfhkjdsfh;dafshlkadsf
:deadbanana:

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed May 08, 2019 1:54 pm

I could definitely see buying 1 or more of these, depending on the price.

PS, just try and ignore the haters...
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Wed May 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Zymos wrote:I could definitely see buying 1 or more of these, depending on the price.

PS, just try and ignore the haters...
actually.. the module is just fine. Very useful even. Slews are fantastic to have around. No hate here for that.

But I do 100% hate your marketing style. It's the type of thing that get's under my skin really bad. sorry! Just be honest with us about what you are selling.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed May 08, 2019 2:00 pm

In my opinion, anything that label's itself as a 'game changer', isn't.

Let the market decide if it's a 'game changer' or not.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed May 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Seems like a cool idea. I'm probably good for slews myself if I just remember I can use spare Stages segments for that, though.

I think instead of a CV Softener, some folks are looking for an Ax Grinder.

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Wed May 08, 2019 2:13 pm

and just this morning i thought about finally building me some passive slew modules ... as 1u tiles in 2hp each. Reason was precisely because i often use gate signals to modulate parameters and need to soften them a bit. And such tiles could even be used 'floating' instead of properly mounted.

didn't consider such tiles to be a big issue, but i am glad to hear it is actually a "game changer".

And such tiles can even be used 'floating' instead of properly mounted. Can't even claim it is very original, i just took the design from the Bastl Propust.

itijik
Three eyed monster

Post by itijik » Wed May 08, 2019 2:19 pm

"I'm offended...you should give your product a boring name and stop trying to sell it to anyone but me" :hihi:

You may not appreciate the language, but there is definite value in the product. I've used them and have found them to be a "game changer" in my patching and how I view compact modular systems.

jmax313
Common Wiggler

Post by jmax313 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Woould buy a few! Looks super useful.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Wed May 08, 2019 2:33 pm

SHOES FOR INDUSTRY!!!!

I'll bite! You make'm I'll buy some if reasonably priced.
Last edited by Phitar on Wed May 08, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed May 08, 2019 2:36 pm

starthief wrote:Seems like a cool idea. I'm probably good for slews myself if I just remember I can use spare Stages segments for that, though.

I think instead of a CV Softener, some folks are looking for an Ax Grinder.
Oh yeah, Stages. Keep forgetting it's more than just 6 LFOs!

Still wouldn't mind one of these doodads though.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Wed May 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Cool idea. I could see my self using this, but it all depends on price.

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Wed May 08, 2019 2:53 pm

0HP adjustable passive slew? For the right price, I'd buy 2-5.

itijik
Three eyed monster

Post by itijik » Wed May 08, 2019 3:17 pm

cliffemu wrote:Are you going to make CV Sharpeners too?
Comparator? :hmm: :guinness:

itijik
Three eyed monster

Post by itijik » Wed May 08, 2019 3:30 pm

euromorcego wrote:and just this morning i thought about finally building me some passive slew modules ... as 1u tiles in 2hp each. Reason was precisely because i often use gate signals to modulate parameters and need to soften them a bit. And such tiles could even be used 'floating' instead of properly mounted.

didn't consider such tiles to be a big issue, but i am glad to hear it is actually a "game changer".

And such tiles can even be used 'floating' instead of properly mounted. Can't even claim it is very original, i just took the design from the Bastl Propust.
They will be nice and solid molded adapters! Also very small as to not clutter the wire spaghetti anymore than needed. When you add a low price we are planning, it's pretty hard to deny.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed May 08, 2019 3:43 pm

If reasonably priced they might be handy to have, good luck with the project!

I was just thinking :*: . . . consider making the packaging "LEGO" like or similar so that multiple softeners can be stuck together if desired? Would be nice for stereo and quad use etc.

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Wed May 08, 2019 3:46 pm

itijik wrote: They will be nice and solid molded adapters! Also very small as to not clutter the wire spaghetti anymore than needed. When you add a low price we are planning, it's pretty hard to deny.
very good! So please go ahead, i might buy some (i also have 1u multiples and still have a few stackcables, one does not exclude the other).

Nonetheless, why not just give it a fancy name (always good) and then tell people that it is a passive slew and that you have found them to be a "game changer" in your patching, nothing wrong with that.

Much better than this innuendo with lots of exclamation marks: "The secret weapons of patch masters!", "Get full range of control without additional modules!", "transform all of your pulse outputs to decay envelopes!".

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Wed May 08, 2019 3:49 pm

The amount of slew in the demo video is more like an inline AR envelope than the purported click-tamer. Still useful, but I hope with the trimmer you'll be able to get down to near-zero slew.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Wed May 08, 2019 4:09 pm

I guess I could make good use of maybe two of these to get rid of clicks from my two decay only envelopes in my system.
But shouldn't you add the possibility to vote for "none" in your poll if you really want to know how many people are interested in your product?
And: It would be great if the production units had rounded enclosures. For those who transport their systems patched the sharp edges of those enclosures might scratch the surfaces of modules. So IMHO you need to soften your softeners :hihi:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”