New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:24 am

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:Are there any other delay units that can be played in self oscillation ?
Most BBD delays can be played.
I use my Roland 572 this way. Keyboard. V into mod

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:55 pm

sendepause wrote:
cackland wrote:
The tomatek audio module to the left...? Couldn’t find anything on this. Only a bare Facebook page.

Any info?
Not so much actually. It's just like it says on the FB page: "We are a small eurorack company based in Amsterdam. We are currently busy prototyping and designing our very first few eurorack modules and accessories."

It's just one guy doing stuff. I got this from him as a present and is use it mostly as an aux sent to FX.
He also made a very nice filter. I know he just got a kid so not sure how busy he is with designing modules at the moment ;-)
Ok cool. Thanks for the info

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:45 pm

daluxer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daluxer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:32 am

if you are looking for some video & audio around the mimeophon. it's pretty neat

[video][/video]

VM
Common Wiggler

Post by VM » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:48 am

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:Are there any other delay units that can be played in self oscillation ?
Lyra-8 FX

I wouldn't count on being able to 'play' it, but it sounds good enough just doing it's own thing.
Current curator of Perth Ambient.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:11 am

For fun/science, here are the noise floors im getting with the mimeophon, with nothing patched to the mim.

First pic is the mixer, nothing patched, so base level noise

Second is mimeophon through mixer, mim full wet.

Last is mimeophon, through mixer, mim full dry.
[/img]

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:19 pm

has anyone done a demo w/drums going into this thing? would love to hear just some basic kick snare hat getting mangled.

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:33 pm

ignatius wrote:has anyone done a demo w/drums going into this thing? would love to hear just some basic kick snare hat getting mangled.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B31pU4Vhp1B/

Never posted anything Instagram here. Hope this works. Just a loop with noisy kicks > mimeophon (modulated a bunch by Planar 2).

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:30 am

daluxer wrote:if you are looking for some video & audio around the mimeophon. it's pretty neat

[video][/video]
This is absolutely stunning.

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Besfar wrote:For fun/science, here are the noise floors im getting with the mimeophon, with nothing patched to the mim.

First pic is the mixer, nothing patched, so base level noise

Second is mimeophon through mixer, mim full wet.

Last is mimeophon, through mixer, mim full dry.
[/img]
What is your impression of these results? Is the noise floor a problem in practice, in your opinion?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:35 pm

I see a similar spike at around 12kHz with mine. Going through my ES-6 with no added gain, it's averaging about -62dB at 100% wet, and -61dB at 100% dry.

For me this is not audible at normal monitoring levels; if I turn up my monitors enough to hear the noise, then HDmk3 or E352 plugged into Mimeophon's input are borderline dangerously loud.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 am

Xtheunknown wrote:
Well, its not a problem for noodling, as starthief says, you have to turn everything up really loud to hear it. In which case the noise is drowned out.

But, im having reservations with using the mim in studio work. Which is a shame, as it really is one of my favorite modules. Favorite in the fx category for sure.

With limiting and compression on a produced track, the noise of course gets louder, and i can clearly see the mimeophons "fingerprint" on everything that passes through it.

If anybody played the mim on a big PA, id like to hear your experience.

Really love this module, it would be a bit better if it was even white noise, this has a tone. The mimeotone :party:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:30 am

Seems to me it should be pretty easy to filter the noise with something like ReaFIR, Brusfri, Izotope RX7, etc. since there's a very distinct noise profile that doesn't change.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Thats true. Never tried rx, or any other audio restoration/fixing program, but they say its magic.
Can try, but first ill send my mastering guy some clips and see what he says. If he doesnt complain, then its no problem.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Besfar wrote:
...If anybody played the mim on a big PA, id like to hear your experience...
I've played three shows where Mimeophone and Morphagene were my key modules. Two of the shows had large PA's, and there were honestly no issues. The noise floor is low enough not to be an issue with some reverb from my fx chain, and the reverb of the space. Oh, I also had the Lyra 8--and that's a noisy sucker, but it was fine in the mix.

Recordings are more critical, but would strongly recommend RX as Starthief mentioned. I haven't used it on modular recordings, but used to use it all the time on film/video audio material and it worked wonders.

jsp549
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jsp549 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 pm

I want to bring back the issue of the Hold button.

https://soundcloud.com/delfano/mimeopho ... em/s-FRnDk

Here's some audio of my problem. I have the Mimeophon in zone 5, so it's basically working more like a looper than a delay.

The first two counts of "1,2,3,4" is the first delay playback of the phrase. After those first two counts I used a clocked gate to turn on hold, to make sure it was engaged perfectly on time.

The behavior I'm looking for is for hold to loop a section with the same duration as the original delay time, in this case, two bars (two counts of "1,2,3,4"). But as you can hear, once hold is engaged, there are many instances where the looping seems to get re triggered, almost arbitrarily. This doesn't occur in the linked example, but sometimes even the counts begin to get syncopated!

I'm also aware of the fact that once hold is engaged, the Repeats knob acts as a starting point parameter that allows you to scan through parts of the buffer beyond the original looped section. I've had no luck in achieving the results I'm looking for using it.

Anyone also have this problem? Or has anyone figured out how to get the behavior I'm looking for? Feel like the echophon did this pretty easily.

Sidenote: also engaging hold sometimes results in a click sound that is particularly strong in the bass frequencies. Anyone else have this issue? Is there any hope of this being fixed in later firmwares?

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 am

Hovercraft wrote:
I've played three shows where Mimeophone and Morphagene were my key modules. Two of the shows had large PA's, (...) .
Great, thanks.

Also, i did ask the mastering person about this issue, an he says that its no problem, and that noise floors up to -60 db is fine for analog equipment (well digital in this case, but still).
Quote: "this used to be the case with equipment in the 90s all the time, and we didnt throw 90s music away for that reason."

So thats nice. Ill still check out rx though, thanks for the tip :)

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 am

I also sometimes get a clicking sound when triggering hold. Also noise (as a separate issue, not when triggering hold), but not always, I still need to check my gain staging, but I never had similar noise issues with Morphagene or Clouds, for example (being digital / granular modules).

p@@@nts
Common Wiggler

Post by p@@@nts » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:43 am

jsp549 wrote:I want to bring back the issue of the Hold button.

Here's some audio of my problem. I have the Mimeophon in zone 5, so it's basically working more like a looper than a delay.

The first two counts of "1,2,3,4" is the first delay playback of the phrase. After those first two counts I used a clocked gate to turn on hold, to make sure it was engaged perfectly on time.

The behavior I'm looking for is for hold to loop a section with the same duration as the original delay time, in this case, two bars (two counts of "1,2,3,4"). But as you can hear, once hold is engaged, there are many instances where the looping seems to get re triggered, almost arbitrarily. This doesn't occur in the linked example, but sometimes even the counts begin to get syncopated!

I'm also aware of the fact that once hold is engaged, the Repeats knob acts as a starting point parameter that allows you to scan through parts of the buffer beyond the original looped section. I've had no luck in achieving the results I'm looking for using it.

Anyone also have this problem? Or has anyone figured out how to get the behavior I'm looking for? Feel like the echophon did this pretty easily.

Sidenote: also engaging hold sometimes results in a click sound that is particularly strong in the bass frequencies. Anyone else have this issue? Is there any hope of this being fixed in later firmwares?
plus one!

ryjtyj
1-Post Wiggler

Post by ryjtyj » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:32 am

p@@@nts wrote:
jsp549 wrote:I want to bring back the issue of the Hold button.

plus one!
I've got the same bug:

1) Clock changes weirdly when engaging Hold.
2) Repeats is not shifting buffer window like in 4ms DLD (that would be awesome), but is changing rate. Worst case: you engage Hold - there is certain Rate, disengage Hold, add Repeats, engage Hold again - Rate is different!!!

What shocked me is that Make Noise tech support told me "This is normal behavior and is not a bug. The minute differences in repeat size that you have observed while Holding are more noticeable when juxtaposed with other rhythmic material" and "Hold does not operate like a typical looper pedal".
At the same time, I was told that "I can confirm these behaviors on Mimeophon here at our shop. We will keep this feedback in mind when working on any future development of the Mimeophon firmware."
After I've asked more precisely about whether it means it would be fixed, the answer was "I cannot make predictions about whether particular behaviors will be altered in the future."

Although I was told I can return the module to the shop it was bought at (which kinda proves it's not an intended by design thing), I do really want to use the module to it's full potential, and since there's nothing in the manual about that weird change in clock when engaging Hold (if it really was "normal behaviour" - it wouldn't be silenced), I beileve there is some "production hell" going on, and REALLY hope they'll find the time to make it work as everybody think the Hold option should behave in the normal syncing delay.

So is there ANYBODY who doesn't have that module behavior?

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:21 am

Hello, first Mimeophon patch, really a great delay !

[video][/video]

sendepause
Common Wiggler

Post by sendepause » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:06 am

Anybody else wondering what this square is? Looks like a led-window but is not in use.... Or am i missing something?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:12 am

sendepause wrote:Anybody else wondering what this square is? Looks like a led-window but is not in use.... Or am i missing something?
Works for me. Changing the +/- pot in Zone changes its color (same color as the larger led). It also lights up in various colors when you turn on your modular.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:58 am

sendepause wrote:Anybody else wondering what this square is? Looks like a led-window but is not in use.... Or am i missing something?

I think it's the counterpart to the white square. That's the color control, so turning it CCW towards the unlit square means "dark" and towards the white square means "bright".

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Hmmm, I've got serial #1332 and it appears to do nothing. The leds from the larger zone display window leak thru a little, which you can see on start-up and when changing zones, but moving the color knob does nothing.

A quick second read thru the manual finds nothing regarding this window. Anyone found the answer, because now I'm curious, we must be missing something obvious?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”