New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:
sendepause wrote:Anybody else wondering what this square is? Looks like a led-window but is not in use.... Or am i missing something?
Hmmm, I've got serial #1332 and it appears to do nothing. The leds from the larger zone display window leak thru a little, which you can see on start-up and when changing zones, but moving the color knob does nothing.

A quick second read thru the manual finds nothing regarding this window. Anyone found the answer, because now I'm curious, we must be missing something obvious?
Color does nothing for me either, Zone does though.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:48 pm

ryjtyj wrote:...I've got the same bug:

1) Clock changes weirdly when engaging Hold.
2) Repeats is not shifting buffer window like in 4ms DLD (that would be awesome), but is changing rate. Worst case: you engage Hold - there is certain Rate, disengage Hold, add Repeats, engage Hold again - Rate is different!!!

What shocked me is that Make Noise tech support told me "This is normal behavior and is not a bug. The minute differences in repeat size that you have observed while Holding are more noticeable when juxtaposed with other rhythmic material" and "Hold does not operate like a typical looper pedal".
At the same time, I was told that "I can confirm these behaviors on Mimeophon here at our shop. We will keep this feedback in mind when working on any future development of the Mimeophon firmware."
After I've asked more precisely about whether it means it would be fixed, the answer was "I cannot make predictions about whether particular behaviors will be altered in the future."

Although I was told I can return the module to the shop it was bought at (which kinda proves it's not an intended by design thing), I do really want to use the module to it's full potential, and since there's nothing in the manual about that weird change in clock when engaging Hold (if it really was "normal behaviour" - it wouldn't be silenced), I beileve there is some "production hell" going on, and REALLY hope they'll find the time to make it work as everybody think the Hold option should behave in the normal syncing delay.

So is there ANYBODY who doesn't have that module behavior?
I've noticed the hold function doesn't "cleanly" jump to looping, if you're in the last zone with feedback up, and hit hold, you'd expect a seamless shift to typical hold behavior without any changes. What I've found is the loop changes generally, my guess has been either it chooses a new starting point in the buffer or changes the length and restarts.

It is a little frustrating as the info on this wasn't that "Hold does not operate like a typical looper pedal", it was engage hold and it holds the audio, more typical behavior.

From my perspective it's not so broken that it's unusable, but it would be much superior to have it function like a traditional looper.
Last edited by Ras Thavas on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lessmudmorepunch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lessmudmorepunch » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:12 pm

I wonder if it needs to reach the end of the zone you’re in before it stops the input so that, when it holds, it has a full buffer to loop. I’ll mess with mine later and see if this is true

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:
sendepause wrote:Anybody else wondering what this square is? Looks like a led-window but is not in use.... Or am i missing something?
Hmmm, I've got serial #1332 and it appears to do nothing. The leds from the larger zone display window leak thru a little, which you can see on start-up and when changing zones, but moving the color knob does nothing.

A quick second read thru the manual finds nothing regarding this window. Anyone found the answer, because now I'm curious, we must be missing something obvious?
If you scroll back to page 10 of this thread you will find a reply from Tony where he says there was never any LED.
I've no idea why MakeNoise made it look like there should be one, it's a very confusing design-choice.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:06 pm

mother misty wrote: If you scroll back to page 10 of this thread you will find a reply from Tony where he says there was never any LED.
I've no idea why MakeNoise made it look like there should be one, it's a very confusing design-choice.
Thanks, it is a confusing design choice, but that's good to know.

sendepause
Common Wiggler

Post by sendepause » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:06 pm

mother misty wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:

If you scroll back to page 10 of this thread you will find a reply from Tony where he says there was never any LED.
Thanx, I missed that. Good spy work ;-)

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:12 pm

I just got my mimeophon last night but wasn't able to quickly patch up some of the complaints about hold behavior. I am not familiar with what a looper is or how it should work.

I will say that manually engaging hold does have an apparent effect on the clock output based on the position of repeats. I was patching early this morning before work and it felt maybe cleanest with repeats set to maximum instead of minimum.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:04 pm

mother misty wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:

Tony? there is no Tony, man...it´s all Uli Behringer...and this is Mimeophon´s warp mode to be engaged when he is revealed as the company´s owner

behold his power! :hail:

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:05 am

I haven't found a lot of comparison between the Rainmaker and this new beast. What do you think the pros/cons are (besides HPs). I'm looking for a delay which can be both in creating textural sounds as well as more common rythmic delays.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:08 am

paranormind wrote:I haven't found a lot of comparison between the Rainmaker and this new beast.
They're not very similar.

Mimeophon is a simpler, more immediate, characterful single tap stereo delay. Rainmaker is a complex multitap delay plus a complex comb filter/resonator (which is really another multitap delay).

I find myself using Mimeophon for retro-ish high-feedback echoes, or to add a touch of space to a sound. Sometimes as a synth voice.

When I had Rainmaker, I used it mostly to make big ambient flooded resonator stuff, with the whole multitap delay section mostly just serving as a way to color that.

I let go of Rainmaker after several weeks because it felt like overkill, a distraction from everything else I wanted to do with the modular. At this particular moment I can't imagine letting go of Mimeophon, even with several delay plugins I like plus the SynthTech E520 coming up in a few months.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 pm

Both the pro and the con of rainmaker is control. You have a ton of control over a ton of parameters. If that level of control is useful and appealing to you, it's worth the HP. I found that level of control to be kinda off-putting, I had a really hard time finding sounds I liked from it (at least sounds that felt like they were worth the trouble and HP). I'm going to be selling it soon, I think.

For what I want, which is textural stuff and just normal delay things but with more color than I could get from a clean delay like DLD (never had much luck getting sane results out of the feedback loop on that thing), mimeophon does the job with a heck of a lot more immediacy and a fraction of the HP.

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:41 am

This totally makes sense, thanks for the feedback (no pun intended :lol: )

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 am

is anyone having issues with fluctuations of the delay rate?

I set up a patch to process a drum machine, with a specific rate that works with the rhythms, I do a recording, leave everything running, but when I come back the rate has shifted slightly and rhythms have gone wonky. It doesn't happen everytime but it has three times in the past two days. Nothing else in my small portable setup has shifted when this happened.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 am

Has anyone else had their Mimeophon freeze after clocking it externally? Mine every so often totally freezes only when clocked externally and the rate light goes solid red no matter how i turn the rate knob or zone knob or unplug the external clock. I'd say it happens at least once every couple of days for me.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:31 pm

indexofmetals wrote:is anyone having issues with fluctuations of the delay rate?

I set up a patch to process a drum machine, with a specific rate that works with the rhythms, I do a recording, leave everything running, but when I come back the rate has shifted slightly and rhythms have gone wonky. It doesn't happen everytime but it has three times in the past two days. Nothing else in my small portable setup has shifted when this happened.
Are you clocking the drum machine and module together?

If not, the nuance differences in time will shift.
THUMPR BC SC

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Mend wrote:
ignatius wrote:has anyone done a demo w/drums going into this thing? would love to hear just some basic kick snare hat getting mangled.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B31pU4Vhp1B/

Never posted anything Instagram here. Hope this works. Just a loop with noisy kicks > mimeophon (modulated a bunch by Planar 2).
thanks! only just checked back in on this thread. that's a savage sounding mangling. really interesting stuff going on. thanks a ton.

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
indexofmetals wrote:is anyone having issues with fluctuations of the delay rate?

Are you clocking the drum machine and module together?

If not, the nuance differences in time will shift.
the drum machine is outside of eurorack and coming in as a mono signal. I'm just setting the delay rate by ear. when i was using this approach with a magneto, I'd turn them both off, come back several days later and turn back on and it was just as I'd left it. no cv was into the mimeophon during the fluctuations.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 pm

is anybody finding their Mimeophon just a haiiiiiiiiiiir slightly delayed, or off-timed when its synced? my ears are really tuned to slight variations like this. Is there any sort of delay compensation setting on it? Didn't see anything in the manual

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:33 pm

indexofmetals wrote:the drum machine is outside of eurorack and coming in as a mono signal. I'm just setting the delay rate by ear. when i was using this approach with a magneto, I'd turn them both off, come back several days later and turn back on and it was just as I'd left it. no cv was into the mimeophon during the fluctuations.
Honestly, anytime you don't sync clocks and just rely on them to remain the same tempo, you're throwing the dice. I think it's actually a bit weird that your drum machine and Magneto happened to maintain such a similar clock rate.

Jerome
Common Wiggler

Post by Jerome » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:33 am

Your feelings about the Mimeophon as a sound on sound looper ? For layering pads style sounds , no rhythmic sync needed here. I use to own the 4MS DLD which was great at that. I now use the Magneto, great as well but very "colored" soundwise. My case is mostly Make Noise modules. Thanks !

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:21 am

Can anyone post a quick video of these settings on their Mimeophon? I'm trying to figure out if mine is having issues or not. When clocking it from an external source, I am getting a fair amount of crunch/artifacts/distortion with certain panel settings.

The settings would be as follows: i'm just feeding it a short enveloped triangle for simplicity- very simple pattern- external clock in ~100bpm 2 or 4 ppqn, zone 1 or all the way to the left, repeats all the way down, rate in the middle, no halo, no color. As i turn the rate clockwise to divide the incoming clock, i get a very crunchy/distorted sound. It gets even more pronounced as i turn repeats up. Since it is in zone 1, it could be some kind of flanging causing it as when i turn the zone up to 2, it stops. i am just curious if this is the same behavior others are having. Make Noise said they were not able to replicate it but I thought I would ask here.

Also, i am not able to reproduce this sound without an external clock. Could it be some kind of phase issue since the delay and original signal are in time? Anyway, thanks for the help.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:08 am

hurm. just saw that post. i'll try to reproduce it tomorrow?

first patch with Mimeo, running her into herself. i LIKE it.

[video][/video]
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:36 am

insoul8 wrote:Can anyone post a quick video of these settings on their Mimeophon? I'm trying to figure out if mine is having issues or not. When clocking it from an external source, I am getting a fair amount of crunch/artifacts/distortion with certain panel settings.

The settings would be as follows: i'm just feeding it a short enveloped triangle for simplicity- very simple pattern- external clock in ~100bpm 2 or 4 ppqn, zone 1 or all the way to the left, repeats all the way down, rate in the middle, no halo, no color. As i turn the rate clockwise to divide the incoming clock, i get a very crunchy/distorted sound. It gets even more pronounced as i turn repeats up. Since it is in zone 1, it could be some kind of flanging causing it as when i turn the zone up to 2, it stops. i am just curious if this is the same behavior others are having. Make Noise said they were not able to replicate it but I thought I would ask here.

Also, i am not able to reproduce this sound without an external clock. Could it be some kind of phase issue since the delay and original signal are in time? Anyway, thanks for the help.
you sure you're patching the clock into the correct input? :) sorrry had to ask

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 am

zerodivide wrote:
insoul8 wrote:Can anyone post a quick video of these settings on their Mimeophon? I'm trying to figure out if mine is having issues or not. When clocking it from an external source, I am getting a fair amount of crunch/artifacts/distortion with certain panel settings.

you sure you're patching the clock into the correct input? :) sorrry had to ask
Yes, definitely. :hihi:

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Any examples out there of the Mimeophon processing human voices?
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Return to “Eurorack Modules”