New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Post by starthief » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:58 am

I have a Meanwell PSU and no significant noise issues with the Mimeophon.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:12 am

NoLegs wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:52 pm
ZPO + Stereo Dipole through the Mimeophone.

Very nice. I have a Mimeo and ZPO on the way so this is getting me in the mood!

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm

starthief wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:58 am
I have a Meanwell PSU and no significant noise issues with the Mimeophon.
They make more a lot of models. Again, I know nothing other than certain power supplies don't fit great with digital modules.

I'd bet a Malekko board or an Intellijel board would do just fine in there.
THUMPR BC SC

vnsc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vnsc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm

donrock wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:41 am
Does anyone else get audible clicks when gating Flip and Hold?
Indeed. I've actually narrowed down the conditions for this to happen, and MN tech told me it was "normal." Fairly unfortunate as that means complex patches with basic functions aren't really feasible for audio that isn't super noisy. I thought I would post this here because if this goes unresolved it will probably be a deciding factor for many of its usability.

mimeo_bugs.wav

Basic piano splice from MG > flip engaged > sporadically hitting hold, which you can hear blip again and again. Around 30 seconds i engage hold, then toggle flip on off - the clicking sound is flip on/off.
(note: poor gain staging for quick recording; noise floor is my fault. out from mimeo>mixer/interface>logic)
Using MN 104 skiff, current firmware, etc.

Wanna try?
HOLD BLIPS:
1. Engage flip, then toggle hold on and off with an incoming stream of audio. Other parameters do not matter - ever time you turn HOLD on while FLIP is engaged it "blips". Also, the blip seems to only be on hold ON, not hold off.
FLIP GLITCH:
2. Engage hold. Similarly, anytime you flip while the buffer is held, there is an audible click which goes into the feedback path.
These both happen with manual button triggers and CV.

It would be interesting to hear others thoughts / if this is actually 100% repeatable. Additionally, I scanned through a few mimeo YT videos and I did hear the hold do the "blip" a couple times with similar conditions listed above.

So yeah. This is one of the most amazing delays I've ever used but I haven't decided how much of a deal breaker this is yet. seems to make subtle ambient works pretty unfeasible, but I've suffered worse from lesser gear before so :despair:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://vaultofstars.com
Music, art, photography, design, words

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:46 am

vnsc wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm
donrock wrote:
Indeed. I've actually narrowed down the conditions for this to happen, and MN tech told me it was "normal." Fairly unfortunate as that means complex patches with basic functions aren't really feasible for audio that isn't super noisy. I thought I would post this here because if this goes unresolved it will probably be a deciding factor for many of its usability.

mimeo_bugs.wav
Thanks for sharing this, (potentional Mimeophone buyer here.)
Auch, that's a pretty nasty click, especially if you want to do these subtle ambient works.
It's a bit sad to see this is considered "normal" by MN tech. I kind of understand that instantly flipping may cause a spike/click but I hope this can be fixed with a future update, was there any mention of that when you contacted MN?

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:35 am

vnsc wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm
donrock wrote:

mimeo_bugs.wav
Those clicks sound exactly like mine sounded - but I am unable to reproduce them at the moment, which is weird. Maybe it has to do with which module the MP is receiving clocks from?
What are you using to clock flip & hold?

vnsc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vnsc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:51 pm

donrock wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:35 am

Those clicks sound exactly like mine sounded - but I am unable to reproduce them at the moment, which is weird. Maybe it has to do with which module the MP is receiving clocks from?
What are you using to clock flip & hold?

In that recording I think it was clocked from morphagenes end of signal gate, however I did some more testing last night and this happens regardless of clock input. :s And no mention was made of any fix.
http://vaultofstars.com
Music, art, photography, design, words

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Playing with inputless Mimeophon feedback:

combathook
Learning to Wiggle

Post by combathook » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:08 am

Just picked up a Mimeophon and I'm open to requests if anyone wants some demo sounds.

Yarin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yarin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 pm

hi everyone, anyone experiencing something like this?

I read the thread but I still don't know how to understand if this (much!) noise is the standard character of the module or if there's something wrong.. it also clicks and cracks and pops and all that kind of things when I'm modulating the mix level..

maybe I'm doing something wrong but if this is normal, this thing is actually unusable for every kind of quieter music..

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Yarin wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 pm
hi everyone, anyone experiencing something like this?

I read the thread but I still don't know how to understand if this (much!) noise is the standard character of the module or if there's something wrong.. it also clicks and cracks and pops and all that kind of things when I'm modulating the mix level..

maybe I'm doing something wrong but if this is normal, this thing is actually unusable for every kind of quieter music..
I don't remember having pops like that from mine. Is it possible that the pops are audio stored in the buffer? In other words the pop was recording when plugging something in and is just playing it back?

Otherwise you might just want to reach out to MN.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04 pm

It's hard to judge noise from YouTube videos, and to tell what's going on not really knowing anything about your gain staging etc. But those pops are definitely not typical.

Yarin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yarin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:09 pm

thanks for the replies.. I wrote an email to make noise with the video and some audio files, let's see what they say..

Yarin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yarin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:52 pm

For the sake of knowledge:

"The behavior that you have shown is common with input signals that are of a lower amplitude,
harmonically simple or dynamic in volume.

The input signal is being mixed with the module's noise floor and then being amplified later in the signal path.
If the input signal is not amplified before the Mimeophon's input and the module's gain settings are not adjusted to accommodate,
this noise will be more present at the output."

not a word about the clicks on the mix knob..

so.. I'm a little bit confused.. Eurorack without harmonically simple signals and without dynamic variations? I think I'm missing something..

I just think that it would be better for people to know these details before they buy something that's not actually so cheap, so keep in mind that mimeophon is amazing as long as you don't do quieter tracks..

they also adviced I should consider to look at other modules that could better fit my needs, I'll definitely mind about that

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Hello, here's one of my last patch where Mimeophon is the main sound source.

bobbcorr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bobbcorr » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:37 am

This really is wonderful - would you be able to share the description of the rack that produced it or perhaps describe the patch? I'm especially curious to see how Just Friends, Hermod, OD-301 etc play a role here alongside Mimeophon.

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:45 am

bobbcorr wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:37 am
This really is wonderful - would you be able to share the description of the rack that produced it or perhaps describe the patch? I'm especially curious to see how Just Friends, Hermod, OD-301 etc play a role here alongside Mimeophon.
Thank you, of course here’s the patch from YT :
Mimeophon is the main sound source in this patch.

ER-301 manage different samples and delays for each :

- Rings drone
- Field recording
- 4 x Mimeophon loops

Additional voices by :

- JF in sound mode with JF enveloppes
- 1st Mangrove controlled and modulated by Batumi
- 2nd Mangrove sequenced by Hermod modulated by Zadar + JF
- Verbos Harmonic oscillator into Meng Qi DPLPG gated by Hermod

All of these into Clouds then Mimeophon

- 2 other voices of Verbos HO controlled by Batumi into 2HP Verb

jonpines
Common Wiggler

Post by jonpines » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:27 am

Yunsnare wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:45 am
bobbcorr wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:37 am
Thank you, of course here’s the patch from YT :
Mimeophon is the main sound source in this patch.

ER-301 manage different samples and delays for each :

- Rings drone
- Field recording
- 4 x Mimeophon loops

Additional voices by :

- JF in sound mode with JF enveloppes
- 1st Mangrove controlled and modulated by Batumi
- 2nd Mangrove sequenced by Hermod modulated by Zadar + JF
- Verbos Harmonic oscillator into Meng Qi DPLPG gated by Hermod

All of these into Clouds then Mimeophon

- 2 other voices of Verbos HO controlled by Batumi into 2HP Verb

Lovely, thanks for sharing. I've been stuck in a small apartment for a month now... Nice to see some green and listen to some enjoyable sounds.

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:44 am

[/quote]
Lovely, thanks for sharing. I've been stuck in a small apartment for a month now... Nice to see some green and listen to some enjoyable sounds.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot. A lot of my videos are including green because it resourcing me ;) Courage for this bad period.

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Hello, here's a last patch where Mimeophon is used in a more classical way.
ER-301 is the sound source as a generative machine, additional voices from Mangrove and Rings. Modulation by Zadar, Batumi and Just friends.

IntervoxOptima
Common Wiggler

Post by IntervoxOptima » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:38 am

Regarding audible clicks or pops generating from the Mimeophon- I'm finding I'm getting these when Im switching between zones 0 and 1. I can't tell if it's being generated by the zone switching itself or noise in the signal from the LED lights switching color. Either way in this particular instance it's an unwanted occurrence for the ambient/60s psychedelic phasing and warbly flange effects I'm making :hmm:

My cases are 2 X's Intellijel 7u 84hp which come with Meanwell power supplies.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Kind of sick of my Mimeophon at this point. It's by far the noisiest module in my system. Clicks when switching zones, engaging flip, and the skew is just to wonky to use if you want to dial in a specific stereo ratio.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Hmmm. I'm still having no noise issues with mine, and it doesn't click when switching zones unless I modulate very quickly (which doesn't seem to have any benefit since it waits until the current zone has reached the end before it switches).

It does click on Flip sometimes, particularly if I trigger it rapidly, though at audio rate it just sort of adds an extra buzz to the proceedings.

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:55 pm

I just received mine and it sounds great. Definitely not a standard delay / end of a chain effect. It can do so much. I’m really impressed.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Fri May 01, 2020 6:59 am

I had hoped MN had fixed the noise issues with this module. It's an issue - especially when using Mimeophon on multiple tracks individually - the noise accumulates. If you then bounce all those tracks to one track and then again run that track through Mimeophon the noise level becomes really high. In my opinion the noise in this level narrows down the options of use for this module. And yes I am gain staging properly and have discussed the issue with MN, who says there's nothing to do. A shame as it's an awesome module apart from this.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”