New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Re: New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Post by spilthyfred » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:40 am

jayrope
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by jayrope » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:17 am

ggillon wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 am
jayrope wrote:Got mine today.
• Signal in buffer doesn't pitch when on hold. What a pity (just for that feature I was looking again for a replacement of an early 90s digital delay which is a permanent companion to my live sets)!
Get an Echophon next to your mime ;) The echophon does it
True, but then i need to get a different pitch shifter on top. Is there any alternative firmwares? Can't find any.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:45 am

I kept confusing the clock input and output on Mimeophon, because the graphics just aren't that clear. (If there were arrows in and out, instead of just a line or a vague arrow on the end of a pulse train it would have helped.) But I like the look of the panel overall, more than the Grayscale ones.

The solution: Bananuts.
103977465_635637850496254_8219663719638671528_n.jpg
The red ones look pretty sharp on a black panel! But the "white" ones are silver, so it's almost a waste to replace regular hex nuts with them. Still, this makes it very clear at a glance which jacks are outputs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:27 am

starthief wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:45 am
Never knew these existed, very good solution! Do most / all modules use these types of nuts? I'm not at my modular so i can't check..

If all modules can use these there's a a lot of modules i think i will upgrade with those.. i have learned this module by now, but i can see myself doing a mistake if i don't use it for months.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:37 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:27 am
starthief wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:45 am
Never knew these existed, very good solution! Do most / all modules use these types of nuts? I'm not at my modular so i can't check..

If all modules can use these there's a a lot of modules i think i will upgrade with those.. i have learned this module by now, but i can see myself doing a mistake if i don't use it for months.
Most does. But not modules with the fat (Cliff?) sockets like Doepfer, Ladik and Expert Sleepers.

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 pm

I also have trouble remembering which is clock in and which is clock out

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:27 am
This seems to be the most common type of jack, but a few manufacturers use a plastic ring that is supposed to insulate the tip of the plug from the grounded panel when plugging them in, which makes the radius bigger.

Doepfer, Expert Sleepers, Ladik, Rabid Elephant, SynthTech, and Synthwerks all use the larger jacks. The ones on the Ladik switch in my photo are typical (and yeah, I think they are Cliff). Rabid Elephant jack nuts look just like Bananuts, but larger.
blaythe.steuer wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 pm
I also have trouble remembering which is clock in and which is clock out
Now that I have these replacement nuts on here, it occurs to me that another way to remember is that the outputs are on opposite corners (so the lower left jack is clock out).

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Good to know, thanks.

Gambeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Gambeat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Just bought mine, cant wait to find out what I can do with it!

hlprmnky
Common Wiggler

Post by hlprmnky » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 pm

I don’t know for sure about the clock out glyph on the Mimeophon, but the three-not-quite-concentric circles around the clock in is Make Noise-ish for “gate or trigger goes in here”, fairly consistently across all their modules.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 am

hlprmnky wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 pm
I don’t know for sure about the clock out glyph on the Mimeophon, but the three-not-quite-concentric circles around the clock in is Make Noise-ish for “gate or trigger goes in here”, fairly consistently across all their modules.
I don't think I noticed that... mostly because they are also labeled with text in every other case. (Though "tempo" I thought was a confusing label because I feel like it should be a CV for the internal clock for some reason.)

doubleohno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by doubleohno » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 am

Sold my main oscillators last week and only had the mimeophon as a voice for a week while waiting for my new modules. It’s so fun to use that way! The color control can get really gnarly when the mimeophon is self oscillating :)

Landless Farm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Landless Farm » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Brilliant brilliant module. I held off for years thinking I could do this stuff in the box well enough with Reaktor or Max. But Tom is on another level - the pitch and time decoupling / freedom is magical.

Only thoughts - I would be thrilled with I/O for the feedback path. I'm sure it was considered but damn!

Also I love the obfuscated ethereal panel design but hey, maybe not so much that vibe in the manual? Overall I will take it everywhere I go. Pairing it with a Monsoon as two sends or in series, just gorgeous.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:33 pm

Anyone have any fun patch examples or modulation recommendations..? I've had mine since it came out but it's been a bit "meh" for me, mostly using it when i need some slight reverb on stuff, it does a decent dub kind of reverberation.

I do crazy IDM'ish stuff, more than ambient or melodic, if that matters.

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:48 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:33 pm
Anyone have any fun patch examples or modulation recommendations..? I've had mine since it came out but it's been a bit "meh" for me, mostly using it when i need some slight reverb on stuff, it does a decent dub kind of reverberation.

I do crazy IDM'ish stuff, more than ambient or melodic, if that matters.
honestly sending it a clock and then plugging LFO or S&H in to zone alone is hours of fun. and it’s musical too. wogglebug and mimeophon make great friends. try stepped output into zone and burst in to hold. further steps from there could be woggle output in to color and smooth output in to halo.

there’s tons of potential variations on that as well. I also really like stepped S&H in to halo.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:51 pm

blaythe.steuer wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:48 pm

honestly sending it a clock and then plugging LFO or S&H in to zone alone is hours of fun. and it’s musical too. wogglebug and mimeophon make great friends. try stepped output into zone and burst in to hold. further steps from there could be woggle output in to color and smooth output in to halo.

there’s tons of potential variations on that as well. I also really like stepped S&H in to halo.
Thanks! Will experiment with that :)

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:56 pm

I usually take the stereo outputs into QPAS and modulate Mimeophon Color and QPAS (frequency or radiate controls). It makes a cool "space music" sound since the brightness/spread, stereo effects are always changing and evolving.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:15 pm

I like to use a periodic gate (say high four beats, low four beats) to alternate between a fast zone and a slow zone for instant rhythmic variation.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:16 pm

mosorensen wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:15 pm
I like to use a periodic gate (say high four beats, low four beats) to alternate between a fast zone and a slow zone for instant rhythmic variation.
Woah that's a really cool idea! :tu:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:18 pm

Yeah, some cool ideas, keep em coming :D

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by studioutopia » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:24 pm

jayrope wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:17 am
ggillon wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 am
jayrope wrote:Got mine today.
• Signal in buffer doesn't pitch when on hold. What a pity (just for that feature I was looking again for a replacement of an early 90s digital delay which is a permanent companion to my live sets)!
Get an Echophon next to your mime ;) The echophon does it
True, but then i need to get a different pitch shifter on top. Is there any alternative firmwares? Can't find any.
I doubt there would ever be alternative firmware. This is not Mutable - it's not open source. Like most commercial hardware, this is a proprietary piece of equipment - so it would be up to Make Noise and Tom Erbe from Soundhack to make any changes to Mimeophon.
They are good about updates - there was a firmware update recently. So I'd assume it just comes down to putting in a feature request.

Landless Farm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Landless Farm » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:44 pm

Re: @bemushroomed

Why not! Here's a quick patch

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Landless Farm wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:44 pm
Re: @bemushroomed
Why not! Here's a quick patch
Haha, cool patch, will try something like that! Thanks for taking the time!

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 am

So, yeah any resolution to the noise issue? For me it seems like it happens at the input stage. I can hear the noise when an audio signal is fed into it and it disappears as the audio signal fades. I can hear it 100% dry and it decreases and fades as I go 100% wet. I have the audio input level set to it lowest setting.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Did you email MN?

I'm confused if anyone has had any correspondence with MN about it. I'm sure someone has at this point. They've at the very least seen the talk in this thread at this point I'd imagine.
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “Eurorack Modules”