New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Re: New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Post by r05c03 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Huh, well I will go ahead and write them.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:57 pm

For me, at the higher gain settings noise is sometimes audible, but not always. Using modular-level signals I get pretty much no noise.

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aintnopicnic » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:39 pm

r05c03 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 am
So, yeah any resolution to the noise issue? For me it seems like it happens at the input stage. I can hear the noise when an audio signal is fed into it and it disappears as the audio signal fades. I can hear it 100% dry and it decreases and fades as I go 100% wet. I have the audio input level set to it lowest setting.
100% normal behaviour on every unit.
MN knows about it.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Great. That's going to be how it is?
THUMPR BC SC

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:24 pm

That kinda sucks I hope they can fix that. It is fine in a complex mix, but when trying to do something sparse, the noise is quite audible. Defeats the purpose of such a lush beautiful delay.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Carci
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carci » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:12 am

Anyone else thinking of adding an analog stereo crossfader next to it to replace Mimeophon's dry/wet and get rid of that noise on the dry signal ?
FS : Doepfer MCV24 - Eowave Ringobug

Puscha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Puscha » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:07 am

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the noise that people are complaining about, but I love the noise that I get in Mimeophon at higher Repeat, Halo and Color settings it's so musical. I thought it was meant to be noisy, since it's made to be able to get sounds like from old effects units, which are actually much noisier. For those who have never tried analog delays or tape echos I could see how this may be annoying, but it can really be used in interesting, creative ways. Repeats, Halo and Color interact in really interesting ways with complex internal feedback routing that can get noisy, but it never gets harsh, which is actually pretty amazing for a delay. Maybe not for everyone, but I really don't think it's a flaw, and it's one of the features that I love about it! One of my favourite things to do is to crank Repeat, Halo and Color, let the feedback build up and then turn both Halo and Color down to 12 o'clock. Makes for quite a dramatic shift.

Here's a track that I recorded recently that features Mimeophon noise quite prominently and deliberately:

Only sound sources are two Mangroves and a Verbos Harmonic Oscillator, using Morphagene for granular, pitch-shifting delay and Mimeophon as an end of chain, polyrhythmic delay.

Mimeophon does some really interesting things depending on what you're running through it. Try sending simple gated melodies or sparse percussion through it in different zones and play with Repeats, Halo and Color, then do the same with longer, fuller sounds and multiple voices. Some really really good and often surprising sounds come out of it.

Here's one more track that is only the Harmonic Oscillator going through Sisters before Mimeophon, not as noisy as the last but demonstrates how dynamic this effect can be with little work (no post effects were added at all, I'll add):

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 am

So, yeah, I heard back from MN. The message is below. This is fine, a bit of a bummer, but workable, and I am not one to whine about imperfect gear, but I am frustrated about the "it is all about your gain staging / dynamic nature of signal". What does that mean? I understand about noise associated feeding module line level signals, but I am experiencing noise with Rings through a LPF directly into Mimeophon. Have any of you figured out a signal path that reduces this inherent noise? What are some of your work arounds pre or post recording?

"Thank you for writing and thank you for the recording of your Mimeophon.

The behavior that you have described and captured is normal.
Some of the electronic components that give the Mimeophon its unique functionality

and audio processing power can also add a more "digital" character noise to the module's noise floor.
The noise floor can be heard in the module's output signal when processing highly dynamic or quieter source material

and it will also be amplified further down the line, if you amplify the output of the Mimeophon.

Optimizing your patch’s gain staging can reduce the amplitude of this noise

and you might try different gain settings on the module's input as shown in the module manual, pg.19:
http://makenoisemusic.com/content/manua ... manual.pdf
Or in the following video:

The Mimeophon's Color parameter will accentuate the noise as you have described at its upper levels,

and can be adjusted counter-clockwise to de-accentuate this sound."

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:17 am

r05c03 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 am
Optimizing your patch’s gain staging can reduce the amplitude of this noise
Well, yes -- if you feed Mimeophon a quiet signal and then have to boost the signal afterwards, you're boosting the noise that much more.

But if you feed it the loudest possible signal that won't distort it, you may not have to boost the noise.

Boosting the noise may not always be 100% avoidable, if you've got dynamic material with quiet parts and you're using compression etc.
r05c03 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 am
The Mimeophon's Color parameter will accentuate the noise as you have described at its upper levels,
The thing is though, Color doesn't affect the dry signal, but the dry signal does have noise added. Some people are suggesting keeping Mimeophon at 100% wet and using an external crossfader for a wet/dry mix.

If the module only introduced noise to the wet signal (and could be filtered with Color) that would be a different, and less concerning issue.

And then the noise is gated when the input level falls below some threshold, so quiet, dynamic material kind of makes the issue worse.

I love Mimeophon, and the noise issues are not even close to bad enough to stop me from using it -- but I've come to recognize that those issues are real and present in pretty much every unit, rather than random defects like I once assumed.

pablowdadon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pablowdadon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 am

Sell me your mimeophon, i’ll love to play with that unwanted noise!!! :D

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:18 pm

So what are some good cross fader options?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:33 pm

r05c03 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:18 pm
Probably any of them that have CV control. I've personally used a few:

- Warps of course has effects and a TZPM oscillator built in too

- WMD/SSF Blender is compact, and can crossfade (or just attenuate) two things manually and another with CV. It had a bit of bleed, but not a lot.

- Cold Mac can crossfade, and has several other analog utilities under a unified, if sometimes confusing, whole. One of many cool things about it is you can crosspan (left input fades from left to right output while right input fades from right to left input, with a single control).

- Disting has a perfectly fine crossfade algo. I've been using it quite a bit on the EX.

I also have a Planar 2 arriving next week, lots of crossfading/mixing/panning options there.

Blinds can crossfade, WMD Axys and Happy Nerding Dual XFade both look interesting, Doepfer has several crossfaders...

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Happy Nerding Dual X-fade is definitely the most VC crossfader bang for HP buck

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:11 pm

r05c03 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:18 pm
I went for WMD Axys for cross fading and have no regrets.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:17 am

WMD Axis, if you know you´ll deal with stereo signals anyway.
I have one directly beside the mimi. ( but not to dry/wet mix the mimi :lol: )

Agreed, HN 2x Crossfade might be the best bang for the buck and overall the most flexible one. Its even on a small footprint ( 4hp).
For stereo you just could patch a manual CV source from your 3xMIA ( guessing that everybody has some 3xMIAs ;) )

i was so far never pissed by any noise inconveniences with the Mimiphone.
but thats cause i would not use the mimi for convetional delay duties or then to create some underlying "noise" (read: Music) floor anyway
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:31 pm

I am considering a Mimeophon, but would like to better understand other innovative delays. Which others should I be studying for comparison?

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 am

Has anybody else noticed extreme voltage sensitivity?
I was playing with Mimeophon as oscillator, but I was puzzled by the pitch behaving as it was being very slowly modulated (about a half note in range.) Then I discovered, that the tempo of this modulation responded to the Y output of a marbles clone sitting next to it (and sharing no connections at all). I then moved the marbles, and the modulation went away.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 am

Xtheunknown wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:31 pm
I am considering a Mimeophon, but would like to better understand other innovative delays. Which others should I be studying for comparison?
Just look at delays on modular grid
THUMPR BC SC

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 am

Xtheunknown wrote:
Mimeophon is unique in terms of character. Feature-wise maybe Chronoblob comes closest, since it gives you a choice between pitch-shifting delay time changes or crossfaded changes. But there are a lot of cool delays out there and it's very much a personal choice...
LDT wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 am
Has anybody else noticed extreme voltage sensitivity?
I was playing with Mimeophon as oscillator, but I was puzzled by the pitch behaving as it was being very slowly modulated (about a half note in range.) Then I discovered, that the tempo of this modulation responded to the Y output of a marbles clone sitting next to it (and sharing no connections at all). I then moved the marbles, and the modulation went away.
I've got mine sitting next to a factory Marbles right now and don't have that issue (or anything like it, after having moved it around in my case a few times).

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Xtheunknown wrote:
there is no other like the mimi.
other delays which are great for "creative" work are:
chronoblobb, DLD, Prism, maybe also the erica black stereo delay, and the echophone. (thats the ones i know, at least )

The DLD is entirely different than the mimi, but nevertheless in my opinion "somehow" comparable to some degree,
with its clockdivision sheme, and how you´d jump around in the buffer ( at least when a loop is set to freeze / ohhh, can´t comment what is if loop is not on :oops: )
The DLD can also be brought into resonator territory. The dLD is also entirely its own thing like the mimi is, AND: in fact very clean sounding.
i´ve never read about any complaints.

if Queen Mom from England would be into patching with eurorack, i´m shure she would have nominated Dan from 4ms for knighthood, thats how far he went with the electronics in the DLD.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

toumpouris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toumpouris » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:25 pm

I also noticed the clicks today, have no idea if they sound based on specific settings.
Reading the thread, my patch was completely different, full feedback, micro cv from quantiser, cv in colour, skew on.
Sounds like a digital artefact, tiny click, hope there is a fix.

discreet-cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by discreet-cowboy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:38 pm

I think Walker has explained perfectly here that the noise isn’t an “issue”

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:14 pm

Once it was confirmed they didn't think whatever artifacts were being discussed here were a big deal, this is exactly what I imagined they felt.

It makes sense for them. They're into experimental musical theory and promote finding beauty in dirt often.
THUMPR BC SC

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm

maybe they're even called "make noise" for a reason... ;)

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Well. I prefer to add the grit and noise myself... when I want it. This is why I ultimately sold my Mimeophon. Same with the Erbeverbe. I have a lot of other effect modules that do not add a drop of unwanted noise, hum or digital interference sounds to the output.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

Return to “Eurorack Modules”