MakeNoise Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Mimeophon

Post by Cpaf » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Granny wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:33 pm
My module has no problems in my opinion and it has Firmware V71 on it
The latest downloadable version on their website is V70
Don't want to get any hopes up, but wanted to mention it

It's definitely noisy, but at the right places :hihi:

IMG_4985 2.jpg
And now you made everyone tear their Mimeophon out and check for a vXX!

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:46 pm

I assume, but don’t know, that the Sharpie on the back would denote a hardware revision, not a firmware.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:01 pm

I am surprised that Make Noise has yet to add the Mimeophon to their expensive B&G Shared System Plus modular system as well as v2 of Rene.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:26 pm

The system is complete according to T. No more adjustments from what he said during QPAS talks.
THUMPR BC SC

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:35 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:39 am
it's also a little strange that the auto-ducking noise would be present on the dry output, if its function is to support Mimeophon's characteristic self-oscillation.

EXACTLY !!!!

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:55 am

Just checked back of my Mimeophon that I've had a few weeks, mine is also marked 71. Mine sounds exactly as I expected it to, no issues that I've noted.

rd45
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rd45 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:06 am

here's the back of mine - which sounds good to me

so i'm not sure there's necessarily a correlation with 70 or 71
mimeophon (2).jpg

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:24 am

I wish MN would just be transparent about this issue.

If there is a possible fix, I probably wouldn't have just sold mine.

dumbeat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dumbeat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:35 am

Is the dry signal running to the output after ad/da or clean?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:27 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:01 pm
I am surprised that Make Noise has yet to add the Mimeophon to their expensive B&G Shared System Plus modular system as well as v2 of Rene.
Somewhat off topic, but the B&G shared system does come with Rene 2 as far as I understand-- they stopped making Rene 1.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:59 pm

It is still in pre-order phase when i checked website retailers and no mention if v1 or v2 fore Rene. Would be a nice xmas gift to myself that and the ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe system. I would not have to buy Pamela, Squid Salmple, Rene or Maths either :-)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:41 am

I received mine yesterday evening. I played with it a couple hours mostly just creating droning sounds with internal feedback noises. Before I bought the module I thought the problems only occur quite rarely and in very specific situations, but in the short time i used the module, I managed to create some rather nasty sounding digital aftefacts a few times by just manually changing from longer zones to shorter ones with fast sweep (from zone 6 to 4 or from 7 to 5). It did not sound like a click caused by abruptly ending or starting sound, more like a glitch in processing. I also got some click sounds from reversing the playback, but that was much nicer sound and something that I managed to use to create rhythm into the droning sound.

A bit bummed if Makenoise is not going to put any effort to fixing this or maybe they have tried and it's just not possible. Jumping between zones is one of the most interesting ways to use the mimeophon in my mind. Probably still going to keep the module as other than the artefacts it sounds very nice and offers interesting possibilities for sound design.

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:45 am

Mr.Kus wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:41 am
I received mine yesterday evening. I played with it a couple hours mostly just creating droning sounds with internal feedback noises. Before I bought the module I thought the problems only occur quite rarely and in very specific situations, but in the short time i used the module, I managed to create some rather nasty sounding digital aftefacts a few times by just manually changing from longer zones to shorter ones with fast sweep (from zone 6 to 4 or from 7 to 5). It did not sound like a click caused by abruptly ending or starting sound, more like a glitch in processing. I also got some click sounds from reversing the playback, but that was much nicer sound and something that I managed to use to create rhythm into the droning sound.

A bit bummed if Makenoise is not going to put any effort to fixing this or maybe they have tried and it's just not possible. Jumping between zones is one of the most interesting ways to use the mimeophon in my mind. Probably still going to keep the module as other than the artefacts it sounds very nice and offers interesting possibilities for sound design.
I also have noticed pretty significant glitches/clicks when changing zones. Now that I'm thinking more about it I'm wondering if this happens only when moving towards lower zones. If that were the case a fix would probably be very simple on their end, just enable "tails" on higher order zones when exiting the zone. I'll have to run some tests.

Another thing I've noticed on one occasion was fairly significant distortion of the input signal even when the mix was 100% dry. I swapped the input signal between going through the Mimeophon with 100% dry mix and directly into the mixer and it was staggering how much distortion was occurring. perhaps my input signal was too hot. Will have to further explore this as well.

All that to say, I plan on keeping it despite some of the issues. It's a truly unique module. I'm still learning how it works under the hood so I can fully utilize it. Running drums through it absolutely rips and caused me to change my plans of getting rid of my drum modules after getting a Digitakt.

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 am

DaShmoop wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:45 am
Mr.Kus wrote:

I also have noticed pretty significant glitches/clicks when changing zones. Now that I'm thinking more about it I'm wondering if this happens only when moving towards lower zones. If that were the case a fix would probably be very simple on their end, just enable "tails" on higher order zones when exiting the zone. I'll have to run some tests.

Another thing I've noticed on one occasion was fairly significant distortion of the input signal even when the mix was 100% dry. I swapped the input signal between going through the Mimeophon with 100% dry mix and directly into the mixer and it was staggering how much distortion was occurring. perhaps my input signal was too hot. Will have to further explore this as well.

All that to say, I plan on keeping it despite some of the issues. It's a truly unique module. I'm still learning how it works under the hood so I can fully utilize it. Running drums through it absolutely rips and caused me to change my plans of getting rid of my drum modules after getting a Digitakt.
Nothing to stop you putting the Digitakt through it too!

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am

Raindeer wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 am
DaShmoop wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:45 am
Mr.Kus wrote:

Nothing to stop you putting the Digitakt through it too!
True! I should do that. I do like having the modular control element over drums though.

rd45
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rd45 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 am

Mr.Kus wrote:
I managed to create some rather nasty sounding digital aftefacts a few times by just manually changing from longer zones to shorter ones with fast sweep (from zone 6 to 4 or from 7 to 5). It did not sound like a click caused by abruptly ending or starting sound, more like a glitch in processing.
I think I can reproduce that? At least, I can sometimes get glitchy sounds out of it when coming fairly quickly from longer to shorter zones. Can be more or less glitchy - depends on what's in the buffer, and (I think?) what else I'm modulating at the point where the zone changes. The whitish-coloured and salmon-pink zones seem to be most impacted, and more so if rate and/or microrate are changing.

I'd liken it to a sudden knot of tangled sound that gets spat out in the middle of a more gradually-changing stream. TBH I'd been treating it as a not-undesirable side effect of the patch that I'm working on - but FWIW, I just tried with some less-aggressive modulation on rate/microrate, and the glitchiness seems to be reduced.

Feels more like a feature than a bug, though.

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 am

rd45 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 am
Mr.Kus wrote:
I managed to create some rather nasty sounding digital aftefacts a few times by just manually changing from longer zones to shorter ones with fast sweep (from zone 6 to 4 or from 7 to 5). It did not sound like a click caused by abruptly ending or starting sound, more like a glitch in processing.
I think I can reproduce that? At least, I can sometimes get glitchy sounds out of it when coming fairly quickly from longer to shorter zones. Can be more or less glitchy - depends on what's in the buffer, and (I think?) what else I'm modulating at the point where the zone changes. The whitish-coloured and salmon-pink zones seem to be most impacted, and more so if rate and/or microrate are changing.

I'd liken it to a sudden knot of tangled sound that gets spat out in the middle of a more gradually-changing stream. TBH I'd been treating it as a not-undesirable side effect of the patch that I'm working on - but FWIW, I just tried with some less-aggressive modulation on rate/microrate, and the glitchiness seems to be reduced.

I didn't have any modulation going on, only plugged cables were to the outputs. I just wiggled manually and the glitch sound was very noticeable, digital sound, a bit like skipping cd or a daw/vst that have run out of resources, not a nice click. Yesterday when I had a bit more going on, I did not get anything that nasty sounding.

rd45
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rd45 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:11 am

Mr.Kus wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 am
the glitch sound was very noticeable, digital sound, a bit like skipping cd or a daw/vst that have run out of resources
Yeah ok it's a different issue. I don't hear that.

But thanks anyway, because I like my patch a lot better now that I'm modulating rate & microrate more gently.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:32 am

I have been loving this module since I got it, probably one of my top 5!

And after reading through a lot of these comments I am thinking this is probably typical, but I just want to make sure: does anyone else get some clicking noises when gating flip sometimes. It seems to be easiest to get the clicks when self patching rate pulse out to flip in (like in the "back and forth to the future" patch example in the manual) or if you start gating flip quickly. It is probably the one thing that has started to bug me about the module sometimes :).
FS: Mutable Rings: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=238432

toumpouris
Common Wiggler

Post by toumpouris » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:44 am

Mr.Kus wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 am
rd45 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 am
Mr.Kus wrote:

I didn't have any modulation going on, only plugged cables were to the outputs. I just wiggled manually and the glitch sound was very noticeable, digital sound, a bit like skipping cd or a daw/vst that have run out of resources, not a nice click. Yesterday when I had a bit more going on, I did not get anything that nasty sounding.
I have the exact same problem as explained on the last post here, cd skipping etc. No modulation at all

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:28 pm

here's another fun thing to try: when Skew is active, whatever CV is patched into the Rate input adjusts Skew rather than Rate. so, an LFO ends up moving the left and right delay lines' times in inverse paths, which makes for some pretty tripped out spatial effects, especially if you're using it as a chorus in Zone 1 with some uRate modulation also applied :)

Rudloe
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Rudloe » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:02 pm

ModusOp wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:44 pm
Loving the extra spices thrown into this beauty! That Halo parameter sounded awesome, and I dig how you can just flip the repeats with the push of a button.

Admittedly, these black modules are messing with my OCD though and I wish more companies would start making black faceplate options, or that MN would offer some classic silver ones for sale. I think all of their black-only modules would look dope in the classic aluminum style! Not sure how they could pull it off with René though. :hmm:

Sweet avatar btw, mother misty.
yeh, its sooo annoying

toumpouris
Common Wiggler

Post by toumpouris » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:54 am

This is just Mimeophon as oscillator, controlled by Marbles:

Zifor
Common Wiggler

Post by Zifor » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:29 pm

The noise sounds like a psu problem. If you use a MN PSU is still noisy?
Maggots Gnawing Leppers Toes

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:19 am

I just got this module and I'm immediately happy with it. I'm not noticing noise yet with the way I have things set up, but I am a novice having just started putting together a couple cases this year to accompany my semi modular. So far it's giving me exactly what I was looking for. Any noise it may have isn't bothering or affecting me so far. I'm very happy with this purchase. Now I need to start thinking about an additional modular mixer that will allow me to pan things. I bet this module would pair well with the Bifold which I am seriously looking at for next year.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”