MakeNoise Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Mimeophon

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm

X-Pan is a great Make Noise module to pair with it

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:53 pm

0netwo0netwo wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Thanks for the suggestion! That looks like exactly what I will need. Putting it on the list with the MN QPas which is so tempting right now.

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Jazz-Circuit wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:53 pm
0netwo0netwo wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Thanks for the suggestion! That looks like exactly what I will need. Putting it on the list with the MN QPas which is so tempting right now.

Gear lust is real and dangerous :razz: :help:

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:37 am

Just got a mimeophon and whenever skew is on and I turn the rate knob there is an audible clicky noisy sound, is this normal?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:20 am

I'd go through this thread. Search 'click' and you'll find some information.

Any video or audio would be helpful.
THUMPR BC SC

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 am

viroxx wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:37 am
Just got a mimeophon and whenever skew is on and I turn the rate knob there is an audible clicky noisy sound, is this normal?
No it’s not normal but depends what you’re doing.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am

Here is a video. I have an external clock connected (without an external clock running there are no clicks) and the clicks appear when changing the rate of the skew. It's like the clock pulse bleeds through the module or something

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 am

viroxx wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am
Here is a video. I have an external clock connected (without an external clock running there are no clicks) and the clicks appear when changing the rate of the skew. It's like the clock pulse bleeds through the module or something
This is the exact thing that my Mimeophon does and one of a few issues that is discussed in length in this thread. It's really a bummer.

What I've found is that the module only works reliably when nothing is being controlled via CV and you're not turning any of the knobs. Once you start modulating CV or knob turning, especially the rate knob, you can get those nasty click sounds. Not in every scenario but it's not reliable and I don't care to run an extensive battery of troubleshooting tests to figure out exactly which scenarios are safe for use and which are likely to have clicks. While it is a super unique combination of delay/looper/reverb with a badass front panel design and unique feature set, I can't trust it in a recording or live scenario. Even if I'm just jamming around at home it really throws me off when those pops happen. I'm selling mine to get a Lyra 8 and Clouds 2 (whenever it releases)

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 am

i have no problems with external clock coming from an SQ1. also be shure to have no swing or shuffle in your clock sender. that worked for me

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 pm

Granny wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 am
i have no problems with external clock coming from an SQ1. also be shure to have no swing or shuffle in your clock sender. that worked for me
It's not a problem in all mimeophons? Every unit has its own defects?
I'm sending a regular clock from Pam's new workout. Will try a different clock.

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm

viroxx wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 pm
Granny wrote:
I think it is a problem in all mimeophons but it's a function of more than just the quality of the clock input. I actually rarely use the clock input because I like things to be unsync'd and I get those clicks ALL the time.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 pm

DaShmoop wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm
viroxx wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 pm
Granny wrote:
I think it is a problem in all mimeophons but it's a function of more than just the quality of the clock input. I actually rarely use the clock input because I like things to be unsync'd and I get those clicks ALL the time.
Wow.. if this is how it is it's pretty disgraceful, its like selling us a faulty product.
I think a company that respects itself should solve those kind of problems before selling it to people, or maybe at least make it clear to people that this module has clicks and noise issues.
I know could look it up and read from users that the module has problems, but I think it should be mentioned in the module's official description and manual.
I was hoping to find some kind of fix, or maybe resolve it in an upcoming firmware.
Very disappointed.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:30 pm

I have experienced occasional clicks in the past while using the Mimeophon near the end of the chain. Not sure I can identify a pattern (with my particular module). I have noticed it a couple of times when there were clock/trigs sent to the Flip and/or Hold inputs. It had been racked next to a Disting MK4 primarily.

Another thought is whether it is power-related, or crosstalk related. I have racked it in a Mantis, a Palette, and currently it is in an FX Pod 48 with an analog mixer module, a WMD overseer, an FX Aid, and a Monsoon. I haven't noticed the clicks since putting it in this case about a month or so ago and trying various inputs w/ clocks etc. Not sure this is a 'fix', random luck, etc.

Anyone feel like they've troubleshooted the clicks away? And if so, how?

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm

ATW wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:30 pm
I have experienced occasional clicks in the past while using the Mimeophon near the end of the chain. Not sure I can identify a pattern (with my particular module). I have noticed it a couple of times when there were clock/trigs sent to the Flip and/or Hold inputs. It had been racked next to a Disting MK4 primarily.

Another thought is whether it is power-related, or crosstalk related. I have racked it in a Mantis, a Palette, and currently it is in an FX Pod 48 with an analog mixer module, a WMD overseer, an FX Aid, and a Monsoon. I haven't noticed the clicks since putting it in this case about a month or so ago and trying various inputs w/ clocks etc. Not sure this is a 'fix', random luck, etc.

You can get clicks with rapid zero crossings say if you are repeating a droning oscillator, could that be whats going on?

afaafa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by afaafa » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:51 pm

I had a similar issue recently: occasional random clicks when unmodulated and unclocked (not too objectionable), noticeable clicks when modulating the rate while clocked, and loud digital chirps when I cross the zero point of the rate knob with clocking and skew. These chirps show up in the 100% dry signal too. I returned mine and tried out a couple of others. It sounds as if there should be some crossfading between rates, and that crossfading was somehow switched off. They all had the same issue, so I assumed Mimeo wasn't getting along well with my power supply or neighboring modules.

But the display model in the store worked perfectly. No clicks or unexpected noises unless I do something obvious to cause them (like sending triggers to flip). I tried the display model in my case and it continued to work fine, so seemingly my case is not at fault. I ended up exchanging mine for the display model despite some wear because it works and sounds great. I've been using it happily for the past couple of weeks with no issues.

I may have gotten lucky and found one that works in my case, but I am left wondering if Make Noise did a hardware or firmware revision in the latest batch. To everyone who's having issues, did you buy yours recently?

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:54 pm

afaafa wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:51 pm
I had a similar issue recently: occasional random clicks when unmodulated and unclocked (not too objectionable), noticeable clicks when modulating the rate while clocked, and loud digital chirps when I cross the zero point of the rate knob with clocking and skew. These chirps show up in the 100% dry signal too. I returned mine and tried out a couple of others. It sounds as if there should be some crossfading between rates, and that crossfading was somehow switched off. They all had the same issue, so I assumed Mimeo wasn't getting along well with my power supply or neighboring modules.

But the display model in the store worked perfectly. No clicks or unexpected noises unless I do something obvious to cause them (like sending triggers to flip). I tried the display model in my case and it continued to work fine, so seemingly my case is not at fault. I ended up exchanging mine for the display model despite some wear because it works and sounds great. I've been using it happily for the past couple of weeks with no issues.

I may have gotten lucky and found one that works in my case, but I am left wondering if Make Noise did a hardware or firmware revision in the latest batch. To everyone who's having issues, did you buy yours recently?
So maybe not all Mimeophons suffer from this problem?
Mine is new, got it this month but it suffers from clicks. Tried different clocks and it doesn't solve the problem. Will try a different power supply.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:05 pm

i love this module. it finds its way into every patch. it can be really transformative to what's happening. not issues w/mine. it sounds great.

afaafa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by afaafa » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:10 pm

I should clarify, the display model was older than the others I tried. So the latest batch would be the one with issues.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 pm

boom blip wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm
ATW wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:30 pm

You can get clicks with rapid zero crossings say if you are repeating a droning oscillator, could that be whats going on?
Definitely possible. Going to test out some scenarios at some point, and listen back to a couple of recordings to see what's happening in the audio files.

axm311
Common Wiggler

Post by axm311 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:06 pm

I bought mine this month, and when I send a clock from Pam's New Workout and wiggle the rate knob (with or without skew engaged) I get those clicks.

I would like to write a longer review of my thoughts for prospective buyers but I agree with Ignatius in that it's a transformative module (I had an hour jam of just a very basic sequence through it with buffers building up) with some flaws that may or may not be dealbreakers for users and it's a little "buggy" in operations relative to other modules I have.

I would say this passage below from the manual is a little misleading given the above issue. Honestly although this is well documented in the thread already when I heard the noise when it is set to dry I almost put it up for sale immediately but then came up with so much crazy stuff jamming with it that I decided to try to work around it's flaws.

Maybe there is variation between units and I get similar noise from my Morphogene (which is ironic since they combine to be the foundation of a complete system) but who know it could be my PSU. I am using an Intellijel 104 HP case.
However, when the Mimeophon is being Clocked, a slew-less crossfade is implemented to achieve
instantaneous “switches” from one multiple or division to the next, leaving Rate modulation free from doppler effects..

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Interesting. Mine is very clicky indeed. I don’t modulate or clock it, only some manual tweaking. It’s quite annoying, but I didn’t consider it as an issue exactly, even though it’s definitely an issue for me when making music. Otherwise totally love the module.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:58 pm

viroxx wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am
I'm not getting anything like that.

But trying it led to some fun playing with using the clock output to trigger an LPG, with skew enabled, and then tweaking skew to get different rhythms that sync with the delay :D

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:23 pm

I do not get that effect when I tried. Clocked from Marbles. Powered by 7U.

I’ll keep trying.
THUMPR BC SC

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:56 am

I tried a couple of solutions and none of them worked:
I connected it to a different power supply.
I tried different clocks.
I tried a fast envelope instead of a droney sound.

The clicks appear when the mix is at a minimum too, so they also affect the dry signal.

In the video I demonstrate how the clicks also affect the dry signal, how they appear with and without skew, and how by increasing the repeats above 12 most of the clicks disappear.
But obviously I don't want to always use long repeats.
I'm a live perfomer and for me this is a deal breaker, I can't have those clicks coming out of big speakers, and also whats the point of having an option to modulate the rate yet render it unusable with those clicks?
An ideal solution would be to send it back to make noise and recieve a version that works without clicks, like some users have.
Obviously this doesn't affect all Mimeophons, looking at users experiences, so they *should* be able to replace our faulty modules.
I sent Make Noise an email. I wasn't expecting this from a big manufacturer like Make Noise, I feel scammed.

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:47 am

I recently bought a mimeophon from thomann and can, unfortunately, confirm the click/noise issues reported by other users :/. It happens in multiple different setups and occasions and is also a dealbreaker for me.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”