MakeNoise Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MakeNoise Mimeophon

Post by viroxx » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 am

I encourage everyone who is suffering from clicks to write to Make Noise. If we all let them know that we're having a problem with the module It'll convince them to offer us some kind of solution.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 am

Pretty sure their stance is ‘it is what it is’. Probably not something that can be fixed with firmware is my guess. You just have to decide if you can live with the noise and glitches or move on. I chose to move on to other modules. It’s not worth it to me to try and fix the issues after recording or end up getting frustrated when I can’t.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:24 am

exper wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 am
Pretty sure their stance is ‘it is what it is’. Probably not something that can be fixed with firmware is my guess.
I doubt this couldn't be fixed with a firmware update, both Erbeverb and Morphagene got updates for very similar issue's (reduced noise floor on Erbeverb and reduced noisefloor on Morphagene + an option to alter the gene smooth windowing to suppress clicks even more), but I'm afraid you're right and they'll just say "it is what it is" :confused:
I just wish Make Noise would be a little more clear about this, this thread is 35 pages long now, and the amount of people complaining about this is staggering.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 am

exper wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 am
Pretty sure their stance is ‘it is what it is’. Probably not something that can be fixed with firmware is my guess. You just have to decide if you can live with the noise and glitches or move on. I chose to move on to other modules. It’s not worth it to me to try and fix the issues after recording or end up getting frustrated when I can’t.
'It is what it is' means not giving a **** about us.
If we let this go then we give out the message that it's ok to release a faulty module that clicks, we're telling manufacturers we will give them our money and be silent if we realise the module doesn't work like it should.

I don't want to move on because A. This module sounds great and I want it fixed.
B. We shouldn't let this pass, we spent hard earned money, this is modular, its a boutique luxury niche and it means both our problems and our praise should be heard by the manufacturers.
C. By reaching out to Make Noise and letting them know the scale of the problem Make Noise will benefit from this as well, by proving that they listen and care about their customers, by understanding that they need to upgrade their quality control and not release unusable modules like this!

Remember, they can't exist without us, we are the customers, the power is on our hands. Fight for Mimeophon!

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:35 am

In my case I just wanted it gone, and the experience made me decide not to buy anymore MN. Plenty of great modules out there that are flawless and taken care of with firmware updates. So maybe when they start seeing sales hits from people not buying modules they’ll be a little more concerned about customer issues instead of making videos about how noise is good. :)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sugarwolf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sugarwolf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:39 am

Mine exhibits this behavior also hopefully they address it with an update.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:55 am

Just tried to replicate your issue with a clocked Mimeophon from Pams and turning the rate knob like that, couldnt hear anything at all.

Faulty unit perhaps?

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:55 am
Just tried to replicate your issue with a clocked Mimeophon from Pams and turning the rate knob like that, couldnt hear anything at all.

Faulty unit perhaps?
The current theory is that newer mimeophons suffer from this problem and older ones don't.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 am

I don't know if that's the case. I had one of the first ones as soon as it was released. Still noisy and glitchy.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:37 am

I reached out to Make Noise with another lengthy email detailing the situation we have here. Will update once I hear back.

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:45 am

Good to know. I will definitely hold on till the issue is solved. I already feel like a beta tester with Lúbadh and W//

Dedal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dedal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 am

I decided to check on my own and it turned out that unit can not read the normally incoming from Pam`s clock at all, now I don't even know what to do, have any of you noticed problems at high or low speeds? my only works at x1-x3 rate of Pam gates, then it lose sync.... ((((
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:48 am

exper wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:35 am
In my case I just wanted it gone, and the experience made me decide not to buy anymore MN. Plenty of great modules out there that are flawless and taken care of with firmware updates. So maybe when they start seeing sales hits from people not buying modules they’ll be a little more concerned about customer issues instead of making videos about how noise is good. :)
Agreed.
Last edited by DaShmoop on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rd45
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rd45 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 am

DaShmoop wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:48 am
care more about their profit than doing the right thing by this small and passionate community that has propped them up.
pls remember that a non-trivial subset of this small & passionate community is having no problem with their Mimeophon at all, and would heartily recommend it to anyone

not trying to be smug here - i'm sorry that you're having problems with it - you should feel free to spend or not spend money on MN modules, as you like - but remember that you're not speaking for everyone

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 am

rd45 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 am
pls remember that a non-trivial subset of this small & passionate community is having no problem with their Mimeophon at all, and would heartily recommend it to anyone

not trying to be smug here - i'm sorry that you're having problems with it - you should feel free to spend or not spend money on MN modules, as you like - but remember that you're not speaking for everyone
While this sentiment is understandable, it doesn't make me any more confident to purchase it, as it still seems like a roll of the dice.

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 am

22tape wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 am
rd45 wrote:

While this sentiment is understandable, it doesn't make me any more confident to purchase it, as it still seems like a roll of the dice.
Buying any module is a roll of the dice. But if you sort by ‘most popular’ on MG then Mimeophon is in the Top 20. That has to give you a bit of confidence surely.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 am

Raindeer wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 am
22tape wrote:
rd45 wrote:

Buying any module is a roll of the dice. But if you sort by ‘most popular’ on MG then Mimeophon is in the Top 20. That has to give you a bit of confidence surely.
But I don't have money falling out of my ass and I'd need to sell a couple of modules to afford the Mimeophon in the first place. To me, it's not worth the risk.

And no, Modulargrid popularity contests do nothing for me. Especially with the zombie-like brand loyalty that happens within the community.

And I don't think buying any module is a roll of the dice. I'd have no problems buying other Makenoise modules that, you know, don't have provable noise issues.

skinpop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skinpop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 pm

I also get the clicks. Its not too bad but it makes me paranoid and I think it's unacceptable to not fix or acknowledge the issue. It kinda ruins the fun when I have to think twice about using heavy modulation or even just twisting the knob quickly.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Raindeer wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 am
22tape wrote:
rd45 wrote:

Popularity doesn't always equate a good module. Second, there are many people who say they have no issue, but it's entirely dependent on what sounds they make and how much noise they tolerate. I remember a few years ago having a conversation on here where a member was arguing that a certain module was perfectly fine for him. I stumbled upon his Soundcloud account, and all of the uploads were massively distorted power noise tracks. ;)

But also, I can name countless modules where upon discovery of a defect, I've been refunded, send replacements, had firmware updates, etc. It's those responses that keep me loyal to brands.

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 pm

In my case, they replied immediately after my initial mail very politely, suggesting that they seem interested in solving that issue. Being a 100% certain that this is not a power issue in my case, I now had to record this clicks/pops and high noise floor via Video and send it to them. Will keep you updated.

Never had a problem with any of my other MN modules (morphagene, qpas, maths, story) and don't think that any sort of vitriol is appropriate at this stage, from either side of the fence. Neither are so many people too dumb to check their power supply nor are MN a bad company purposely selling low quality gear. Calm down ! :D

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm

rd45 wrote:
DaShmoop wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:48 am
care more about their profit than doing the right thing by this small and passionate community that has propped them up.

If you read through the thread you can see that an alarming amount of people have this issue and it hasn't been properly acknowledged.
Last edited by DaShmoop on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:05 pm

Mimeophon is my favorite delay module I've ever used (and I've tried several). I haven't experienced any trouble with it, but I'm very curious about what seems to be a lot of complaints.

I wonder how many reports Make Noise has actually gotten (compared to how many they've sold), and how many they've considered to be defects vs. normal behavior.

I do think gain staging is important. The signal-to-noise ratio gets noticeably worse with quiet signals and more post-effect amplification, as one should expect. For mine, I consider the ratio completely acceptable at typical input levels. But perhaps there's variance between models or between installations.

I don't think perception and expectations account for all of it. Yes, I make noisy music -- but I have tested Mimeophon with clean and simple signals too. And in peoples' examples of noise and glitches, the artifacts are certainly obvious.

For what it's worth, my serial number is 919 and I'm still running its original v67 firmware (the current version is v70). My environment is not ideal -- I have a MDLRCASE with their branded busboards and 2x Meanwell RT65B, and probably not very clean AC power. There are plenty of electronic gadgets nearby that generate noise that can be picked up by unshielded audio cables. There are lots of digital modules in my case, and the total draw on the -12V rail is higher than rated for the PSUs (but within safe current range and rated power values). But I don't have any problems with Mimeophon.

Pagoda-100
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pagoda-100 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm

I haven't noticed the issue on mine but now I'm sure i will if I go "looking for it"...
That said I love that module! it's just so fun and 99% of the time it just makes things better. I'm no pro so take that for what it's worth but I sure as @#%& wouldn't go as far as to avoid Make Noise modules because of this... I remember being put off when I first started messing with modular because of the UI but as soon as I started to figure things out and took advantage of the content they publish I went all in. I do have other brands but MN for me is a solid brand across the board...

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 pm

The problem that I am having with it is a frequent clicking/popping occurring throughout playback, which becomes more frequent as soon as one applies some modulation. According to the guys from MN, some of this can apparently be traced back when flipping the signal inside the buffer at a particularly fast rate due to zero crossing (please correct me on the technical terms, I'm by no means an expert). However, these artifacts appear for me when doing all kinds of (slow) modulation to it, which is what makes me worried something is faulty with my unit. Also, I bought the module last week.

Apparently, the noise that I am experiencing is by design, however.

makenoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by makenoise » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Hello everybody,

We want the Mimeophon and all our instruments to be the best we can make them, and for them to bring you as much joy in using them as possible. We hear your concerns and we want to do what we can to address them.

We’re a small company of twelve people, made up of artists and musicians. We are passionate and dedicated to the creation of instruments that we hope are inspirational. We spent over a year developing and testing the Mimeophon. You should always feel free to e-mail us at technical@makenoisemusic.com and we will do whatever we can to help you. However we cannot guarantee that the behaviors discussed in this forum thread will ever be changed, or even that it is possible for us to do so. If you feel that the sonic behavior of your Mimeophon makes it unusable for your practice, we recommend returning it to the store you bought it from.

The Mimeophon, as a “color audio repeater,” is intended to alter the sound that passes through it, in many cases drastically. That has been its design focus from the beginning. It is not and never will be a “clean delay.” Delay lines, like filters, are a matter of flavor - an identical patch on the Mimeophon and Echophon, for example, will sound very different from each other.

That, of course, does not mean that we want the Mimeophon to “sound bad” or otherwise frustrate.

Fast modulation of the delay time on simple sounds like sine waves is near-guaranteed to cause some discontinuities that manifest as “clicks.” We worked hard during the Mimeophon’s development to minimize the chances of this happening. It’s possible that we could do even better, and we are willing to try. If you have a Eurorack delay module that you trust to undergo heavy modulation on sine-based material without causing any clicks, please let us know via an e-mail to technical@makenoisemusic.com so that we can acquire one and further assess whether this would be achievable on the Mimeophon.

Thanks,

Make Noise

Return to “Eurorack Modules”