MakeNoise Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Re: MakeNoise Mimeophon

Post by 1n » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 am

Mimeophon is one of the most playable instruments I have - up there with my fave guitar I've had for many years. If I were to reduce the number of modules, this would be last to go (reluctantly, and together with R*S Serge Resonant Equalizer).

Finding melodies and harmonies in slow-fading loops is a nice way to spend a spare hour or two. The Karplus tone generator is a great lead synth, and I use it a lot for melody lines.

It's also a good base for learning more about what delay and reverberation are and what they can do.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 am

1n wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 am
Mimeophon is one of the most playable instruments I have - up there with my fave guitar I've had for many years. If I were to reduce the number of modules, this would be last to go (reluctantly, and together with R*S Serge Resonant Equalizer).

Finding melodies and harmonies in slow-fading loops is a nice way to spend a spare hour or two. The Karplus tone generator is a great lead synth, and I use it a lot for melody lines.

It's also a good base for learning more about what delay and reverberation are and what they can do.

I agree with that! Such a good module.

Unrelated but what’s your fave resonant EQ use case / patch? Just got one and getting used to it...

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:14 pm

enno wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 am
1n wrote:

I agree with that! Such a good module.

Unrelated but what’s your fave resonant EQ use case / patch? Just got one and getting used to it...
- filter ping >
- percussion sample >
- voice sample/live vocal >
- self-patching feedback ... Todd Barton shows how:
- field recordings ... small sounds in, big sounds out

Anything, everything!

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:56 pm

Wanted to give an update on my situation. I have received a new unit from Thomann, which seems to work much better so far (although I still have some testing to do). While the older unit didn't react well in almost all situations, producing clicks even without any modulation present, the new unit only seems to have problems with simultaneously receiving a digital clock and (slow) modulation to the rate. This is not too much of a problem for me, and if this is the only problem present, I will for sure keep it. I will keep you updated

grrrwaaa
Common Wiggler

Post by grrrwaaa » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:36 pm

1n wrote:
Mimeophon is one of the most playable instruments I have - up there with my fave guitar I've had for many years. If I were to reduce the number of modules, this would be last to go (reluctantly, and together with R*S Serge Resonant Equalizer)
Also agree, it's been one of the most playable, diverse and explorable and rewarding modules I have.

I'm really curious, what other modules do folk here find as playable and explorable as Mimeophon?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:28 pm

4ms Ensemble Oscillator
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:28 pm

Really sucks that some units seems to be clickier than others so that you never know what you're gonna get (like Forrest Gump would say).
Mine is not clicky. Been enjoying it more lately, was kind of underwhelmed by it at first. I think it sounds more analog than something like my FXAid (which i love too though).

stumblefoot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stumblefoot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:01 am

1n wrote:

I love my Mimeophon but usually use it in lower zones. Can you elaborate on how you use it effectively for looping? I often find that at longer zones it just sort of gets noisy and discordant.

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:51 am

stumblefoot wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:01 am
1n wrote:

I love my Mimeophon but usually use it in lower zones. Can you elaborate on how you use it effectively for looping? I often find that at longer zones it just sort of gets noisy and discordant.
Try using Hold to freeze the most recently recorded audio and then, in one of the higher zones, you can use the Rate and Repeats knobs together to create a loop (Rate adjusts the repeat length and Repeats moves the start point).

Leaving Halo and Repeats high (without Hold) can for sure lead to things getting noisy and discordant... or I guess you may be feeding it something noisy and discordant to start with ;-)

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:03 am

Raindeer wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:51 am
stumblefoot wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:01 am
1n wrote:

Try using Hold to freeze the most recently recorded audio and then, in one of the higher zones, you can use the Rate and Repeats knobs together to create a loop (Rate adjusts the repeat length and Repeats moves the start point).

Leaving Halo and Repeats high (without Hold) can for sure lead to things getting noisy and discordant... or I guess you may be feeding it something noisy and discordant to start with ;-)
Also check where you have color set as this will be affect the loop sound..

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:07 am

^ all these things.

Keeping a stable rate of change of parameters per block of sound is part of it. Or make quick changes for noise flourishes.

I wrote MN asking about lag when using Color. Walker Farrell replied and said Color is embedded in the feedback path, so any changes need a few repeats to take full effect. The faster the modulation of Color and and the longer the Zone and Rate - the more obvious. "Inserting a filter in the feedback path in this way is a classic technique for dub and other styles." It all fell into place when he mentioned dub.

stumblefoot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stumblefoot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like I am really underutilizing the Hold function, so I'll have to spend some more time exploring that aspect of the module.

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:21 pm

i really love it a lot. Right now, I could spend days noodling around in the higher zones with slow modulation and that delicious reverb. However, although significantly less clicker than my previous unit, the clicks and pops keep appearing constantly without any recognizable cause. So far, the positives outweigh the negatives, and I am hoping the people at MN will be able to find a common cause for all these clicks in some of the newer unit, fixable by some firmware update. Back to noodling :hail: :hail: :hail:

Nikanj Bleepbloop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nikanj Bleepbloop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:21 am

I just received my first few modules, including the Mimeophon, and I felt as well I hear a lot of click, pop sounds and overall hiss/noise, but reading the manual (again) I checked the gain level (page 19 in the manual) and now I put it on -3DB, (I might have pressed the combi flip&hold several times unintentionally raising the gain levels :hmm: ) , I also reduced the color to around 3:00 max, and to me it seems this solved my clicking issue and noise. I also switched from directly output my modular into an external mixer to first go through my audio interface which has a PAD option to further tame down the volume. I love that module so far, learning still :P

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:08 am

h1ghfiv3 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:21 pm
i really love it a lot. Right now, I could spend days noodling around in the higher zones with slow modulation and that delicious reverb. However, although significantly less clicker than my previous unit, the clicks and pops keep appearing constantly without any recognizable cause. So far, the positives outweigh the negatives, and I am hoping the people at MN will be able to find a common cause for all these clicks in some of the newer unit, fixable by some firmware update. Back to noodling :hail: :hail: :hail:
Thanks so much for reporting back to the wigglers... It’s greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your music.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:48 am

I’m really tempted to pick up one of these but concerned about all these reports of clicking. Is it a minority of users who experience this / find it to be a problem?

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:23 am

I dont have issues with mine, fwiw

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:21 am

digable-me wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:48 am
I’m really tempted to pick up one of these but concerned about all these reports of clicking. Is it a minority of users who experience this / find it to be a problem?
If you have a noise/clicking issue with a module chances are you should:

- attenuate the input signal
- lower the feedback (repeats) or lower the tone of the feedback (color)

if after this you STILL have a problem, then maybe your module has an issue.

All the noise/hiss/clicks/clipping I had with my modules were me not respecting these rules. For example Erbe-verb is also sensitive to a signal that is too hot and will generate clicks/noise if you turn the input level/decay to the max.

That's normal and in the nature of modules with feedback.

grape tony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grape tony » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Little video of the 0-Ctrl, 0-Coast and Mimeophon today. Heavy Mimeo modulation!
:party:

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:28 pm

grape tony wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:01 pm
Little video of the 0-Ctrl, 0-Coast and Mimeophon today. Heavy Mimeo modulation!
:party:
Sounding super cool! :tu:

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:17 am

An update to my Mimeophon situation: After putting the module in another case with a different strip, the clicks seem to have completely disappeared. I am still a bit confused, because in my original case (rackbrute 6u), I was under 70% of the total power consumption capacity with mimeophon racked up, and have distributed the powers evenly among the two strips. Moreover, the same change did NOT work with the original unit I used to have, it produced clicks in all my three cases, even in an otherwise empty testcase.
Anyways, I am very happy now and glad that I've exchanged units. Can only recommend everyone trying out the mimeophon:)

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:20 am

h1ghfiv3 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:17 am
An update to my Mimeophon situation: After putting the module in another case with a different strip, the clicks seem to have completely disappeared. I am still a bit confused, because in my original case (rackbrute 6u), I was under 70% of the total power consumption capacity with mimeophon racked up, and have distributed the powers evenly among the two strips. Moreover, the same change did NOT work with the original unit I used to have, it produced clicks in all my three cases, even in an otherwise empty testcase.
Anyways, I am very happy now and glad that I've exchanged units. Can only recommend everyone trying out the mimeophon:)
Thanks so much for all your updates. This one is really interesting, and I hope that it helps Make Noise with their debugging efforts. What is your power source/rack?

keyofnight
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofnight » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 am

lol, I always come to this forum looking for inspiration to do cool things with my modular synth, or inspiration for how to complete my system, but most of the time… I just end up getting paranoid over whatever new controversy has sprung up in the last month or so. Now I'll have to try my best not to look for clicks and glitches from the Mimeophon that I've been in love with for 6 months.

So. I have a feeling that I've run into click sounds when processing simple signals like sine waves, and chocked those up to as what happens with any delay line when I modulate delay time. I've also run into clicks when changing zones, but this often depends on the signal I'm processing, and where the peaks fall in the buffer. (I run into this issue on my actual tape delay, and it's one of the reasons I get anxious using delay with my bass guitar: clicks and pops.) I also have a feeling that folks in this thread are running into power/grounding issues, which, to be fair, shouldn't be a problem these days. I would also never dismiss the possibility that folks have found a defect.

What bothers me, however, is this inevitable glitch hunt we end up doing in moments like these. We're all gonna be looking for clicks now, even if those clicks are part of delay, a part of making sounds with these modules. If we're not careful, then every digital delay will have to implement some way of stopping any and all clicks extreme prejudice, even if those clicks are supposed to be there, even if those clicks are part of what it means to process signals this way. Because otherwise, the folks on the forum will call it clicky/noisy because they read threads warning about clicks and pops.
"…an answer which cannot be expressed the question too cannot be expressed. […] If a question can be put at all, then it can also be answered." Wittgenstein, Tractatus, §6.52

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:22 am

keyofnight wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 am
What bothers me, however, is this inevitable glitch hunt we end up doing in moments like these. We're all gonna be looking for clicks now, even if those clicks are part of delay, a part of making sounds with these modules. If we're not careful, then every digital delay will have to implement some way of stopping any and all clicks extreme prejudice, even if those clicks are supposed to be there, even if those clicks are part of what it means to process signals this way. Because otherwise, the folks on the forum will call it clicky/noisy because they read threads warning about clicks and pops.
Thanks so much for sharing your perspective on the issue. I personally never thought of it this way, but it again reinforces the value of diversity of thought processes and opinions! You make a good point...

I hold a different point of view, which is that there is value in knowing about the strengths and limitations of a product before you buy it. It helps to reduce the likelihood of buyer's remorse and the odds of the hassle of returning a module that you don't like. I personally feel better buying a product knowing as much as possible about what I am getting into. One example is the triangle wave glitch on the Richter Oscillator. I bought the module in spite of knowing about the glitch and it remains one of my favorite analog VCOs in spite of the issue/characteristic (which really is minor). Another example is the multi-mode blend control on Clouds. It was very helpful for me personally to know that some users didn't like this design and why they were frustrated. I then worked through how I wanted to use the module over a few weeks and decided that this limitation wouldn't be an issue for me. It is now my single most important creative module and will never be leaving my rack. My wife and I go through the same process whenever we buy a new car, appliance, etc. No product is 'perfect', and learning from the experience of existing consumers, for me anyway, goes a long way toward buying with confidence.

During the last few weeks, I have been listening carefully to as many Youtube videos of the Mimeophon that I could find and also reached out to Cinematic Laboratory who does a lot of ambient music (Mimeophon is his favorite Eurorack module). I couldn't hear any glitches in the videos I listened to and Cinematic Laboratory reports that he has not experienced any of these kinds of issues. That is certainly not to say that other users have not (there is plenty of evidence for it in this thread), only to confirm that some users don't have issues and others do.

I am almost ready to send in my pre-order for Mimeophon. It does amazing things no other module can, along with many of the kinds of things you would expect from a traditional delay. But I will be buying it knowing about the issues reported by other users and the response from Make Noise. So if I experience clicks, etc. (which may be related to the base material and usage patterns, power supply, etc.) I won't feel that I didn't do my research and I won't be unpleasantly surprised if I do experience some of these issues.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope that you are having a great music journey with Eurorack!

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:41 am

Xtheunknown wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:22 am
keyofnight wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 am
Thanks so much for sharing your perspective on the issue. I personally never thought of it this way, but it again reinforces the value of diversity of thought processes and opinions! You make a good point...

I hold a different point of view, which is that there is value in knowing about the strengths and limitations of a product before you buy it. It helps to reduce the likelihood of buyer's remorse and the odds of the hassle of returning a module that you don't like. I personally feel better buying a product knowing as much as possible about what I am getting into.
These two comments sum it up for me. I always make some research about the module I want to buy. I have read about the issue on here, before buying the module. I still wanted to try it myself, because I liked what the module had to offer. And now I love the module and will keep it even though I get some clicks here and there, which I think are normal in those situations. I have also read on here that different powering options might create problems. I never had any problems with my 4ms Row Power 45, so that might be a good combination.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”