Rabid Elephant - Portal Kick

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:As long as you get somewhere near to that Theo Parrish/Moodymann warm fuzzy thud...

[video][/video]
I love this album so much. I can get these kicks with my Jomox 999.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Good to see other fans of this style.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:Good to see other fans of this style.
That whole album is elegant and full of emotion. There is not a sound out of place yet it is full of space. So good.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:32 pm

I am DROOLING over this module. It seems like this will significantly streamline the production process.

I always feel like my kicks never quite cut through my mix properly, and I find it cumbersome to always have to layer in a transient. EQ modules aren't very common in euro, and even if I had one it would probably be permanently used for my kick. Same thing goes for the HP filter and saturation - to have all of this front loaded, and in an original thought out manner seems like a dream come true. Should make post production feel much cleaner.

A nice neat and original sounding kick. And if you really want a banger just layer in a little extra sub bass and have the best of both worlds!

Any idea at all as to when this might be ready for production? I have patience I promise, but maybe a little hint could help ease the pain.. :sadbanana:

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Theo Parrish: :hihi:

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:32 am

There are a few changes I'd like to do for the drum module so I have to see how long and where that all takes me still.

The quick of it is that i wasn't happy with it as a modular voice. In these examples here, for eg (and just think of kicks in electronic music in general), the kick is likely from a drum machine, then processed. It's static - set n forget. If that's the case, it doesn't need to be in a modular format and it becomes, maybe, a standalone box anybody could get at. So our context was not 'modulate it'; it was to create a kick we like (probably how most modules start off). They can be very different things to design for and I want to focus on the modulation component and make that musical too.

So we've been exploring the additional ranges of the module and what each CV does for what the module 'is.' We are hyper-aware of the ranging of our modules and that the sounds we have shouldn't be lost in control resolution but certain things are not ranged well enough.

Some things on the table: Redoing the EQ, DynaControl (we'd been formalising this alongside the drum development), superclean/saturation mode (it's already there just via jumper), CV fine-tuning, pitch range/tuning with possible expo, maybe even 1V/oct scaling.

I would like to have the module out next year. It is possible it could be finished up this year but lots of things would have to work out nicely. It takes a lot of patience to test what you've done in music and so those thing I don't like to rush (our ears seem to turn off when rushing stuff).

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:25 am

I'm looking very much forward to this module :)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:40 am

i like your thinking as expanding it in the true modular way. seems a while off, but to make it more unique than whats achievable in a quality drum machine, makes this well worth it to me to spend rack space on it. im excited to incorporate kick drums in a completely new way this will offer

if you are testing new things out, maybe an envelope follower output on the panel could very useful for immediacy of patching and modular interaction

as far as kick drum sound design things, ive found myself lately using liberally my kick drum eq to dull out a lot of high end, but then using other tools like a cwejman mbc3 or distressor to lift the transient back up... makes it warm and saturated but still punchy, sounds cool with those lp laser type kicks

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:17 am

damase wrote:as far as kick drum sound design things, ive found myself lately using liberally my kick drum eq to dull out a lot of high end, but then using other tools like a cwejman mbc3 or distressor to lift the transient back up... makes it warm and saturated but still punchy, sounds cool with those lp laser type kicks
Exactly. Right now our drum cannot reduce high end (we're also in the laboratory with our own 'colour' module) so this is spot on in our experience so far. The EQ will get quite a bit of rework :)

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:48 pm

PM33AUD wrote:So our context was not 'modulate it'; it was to create a kick we like (probably how most modules start off). They can be very different things to design for and I want to focus on the modulation component and make that musical too.
Musical modulation, my favorite thing. Everyone gets into modular for a different reason. For me personally, the ability to subtly modulate parameters during the creative process allows me to create much more expressive evolving music. It is very important to me for modulation to remain 'musical', as I am ultimately looking for an 'end product' that aligns with my musical endeavors.

It makes perfect sense to not rush these sorts of things. I think that the sample and hold implementation is fantastic by the way.
PM33AUD wrote:Some things on the table: Redoing the EQ, DynaControl (we'd been formalising this alongside the drum development)
What exactly is 'DynaControl'?

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 am

spilthyfred wrote:What exactly is 'DynaControl'?
Basically a fancy marketing term for 'playable macro VCA' :razz: that we want to start putting on our modules to control several things with some lower dimensionality input - like how a human would interface to a real instrument. :woah: Of course macro-isation can be overridden and it can still be used for other purposes in a more experimental vein but we thought it nice to start giving more user friendly 'inputs' to our modules. Actually, the HIT input normalisation + S&H scheme is a part of this ecosystem but we can take it a step further and give people really handy features in terms of how you 'hit' and also vary the dynamics from that same input or, if you like, separate non gated control signal(s). We will thoroughly document the DynaControl system and it's use cases and what we call 'user levels' which you can then select based on your musical goal at that patch time.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 am

whoops! double post.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm wondering if the new WMD Crater module changes the landscape for the release of Portal Kick.

Certainly, the Portal Kick will be an a different league than all the 808/909 kick modules out there. Crater, however, looks like a more direct competitor, with similar impetus and versatility.

Just wondering if either of you RE fellas have any thoughts.

Mark

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:27 pm

PM33AUD wrote:.
It's fascinating to read about your approach, goals, and attention to detail.

Whether or not I ever own one of these Kick modules, I wholeheartedly applaud the approach.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:26 pm

We kinda work in a bubble :D

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:40 am

Everything going on with this module seems fantastic

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 am

MARK27 wrote:I'm wondering if the new WMD Crater module changes the landscape for the release of Portal Kick.

Certainly, the Portal Kick will be an a different league than all the 808/909 kick modules out there. Crater, however, looks like a more direct competitor, with similar impetus and versatility.

Just wondering if either of you RE fellas have any thoughts.

Mark
Was just looking into this and it looks quite intriguing. I have a feeling both modules will have a very justified place in modular.

Its nice to see more sound design dedicated modules with unique approaches coming out these days.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:35 am

PM33AUD wrote:
damase wrote:as far as kick drum sound design things, ive found myself lately using liberally my kick drum eq to dull out a lot of high end, but then using other tools like a cwejman mbc3 or distressor to lift the transient back up... makes it warm and saturated but still punchy, sounds cool with those lp laser type kicks
Exactly. Right now our drum cannot reduce high end (we're also in the laboratory with our own 'colour' module) so this is spot on in our experience so far. The EQ will get quite a bit of rework :)
A high frequency limiter like Empirical Labs' Fatso?

halcyon
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Rabid Elephant - Portal Kick

Post by halcyon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Excited about the news!
https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... ch-23-2020
Seems Portal kick might be not that far away anymore :love:

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:52 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to see some demos.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Yeah, excited to hear the new version.

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:39 pm

In other news, this module has been the basis of the analogue section for the standalone groovebox we've been developing.
burying the lede a bit
whoosy boxes / zoomy panels

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm

rew_ wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:39 pm
In other news, this module has been the basis of the analogue section for the standalone groovebox we've been developing.
burying the lede a bit
They have talked about a drum machine in previous posts. I was kinda hoping we would see the drum machine sooner, but I can't complain with more RE modules.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:27 am

TheRosskonian wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm
rew_ wrote:
burying the lede a bit
They have talked about a drum machine in previous posts. I was kinda hoping we would see the drum machine sooner, but I can't complain with more RE modules.
But that is just it, the complaints were "more RE modules"... ;)

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 am

Multi Grooves wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:27 am
TheRosskonian wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm
rew_ wrote:
burying the lede a bit
But that is just it, the complaints were "more RE modules"... ;)
Lol! Fair enough. That's why I'm kinda bummed the drum machine/groovebox wasn't coming first. In the blog post, they mention wanting to get the drum module out by the end of this year, which means the drum machine/groovebox is that much farther behind.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”