Rabid Elephant - Portal Kick

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sat May 25, 2019 6:52 pm

PM33AUD wrote: Yea, PM/email me a few house tunes that have 'really good' kicks to your ear. We'll add it to our testing playlist. My house library is kinda lacking anyways.
Any early Villalobos stuff...particularly, Lugom-ix, logohitz, MDMA, 808 the bass queen
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat May 25, 2019 11:46 pm

Carrousel wrote:
PM33AUD wrote: Yea, PM/email me a few house tunes that have 'really good' kicks to your ear. We'll add it to our testing playlist. My house library is kinda lacking anyways.
Any early Villalobos stuff...particularly, Lugom-ix, logohitz, MDMA, 808 the bass queen
808 The Bass Queen is a nice kick. 808 The Bassqueen (Extended Loop) is very nice.

In the case of your examples I'd just ask that it can do Jomox kicks.

Actually I was going to suggest later Villalobos stuff which is much more subtle and interesting, like this:

[video][/video]

and this

[video][/video]

and this, which I think is most likely Tobias Freund's 808, but it is a great sounding 808 kick, plus I just wanted to post the track because I love it.

[video][/video]

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 26, 2019 2:21 am

dry house kicks? melchior is the man i'd say:

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

rozzo's nice too (don't know him PM33AUD? tsüri isch ihm...kingstyle dj):

[video][/video]

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 am

slumberjack wrote:dry house kicks? melchior is the man i'd say:
I'm a big fan of Thomas Melchior, but more for hihats and spiritual lines. I don't think those first two tracks I posted are dry house kicks at all. They have awesome envelopes and subharmonics.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 26, 2019 3:27 am

dubonaire wrote:
I'm a big fan of Thomas Melchior, but more for hihats and spiritual lines. I don't think those first two tracks I posted are dry house kicks at all. They have awesome envelopes and subharmonics.
especially as with james turells installations: you pov is what makes the light shine in different colors. i barely know anybody who's sound is more sec than hims tbh. ymmv - but before this goes OT: have a nice day dub!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun May 26, 2019 4:53 am

slumberjack wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
especially as with james turells installations: you pov is what makes the light shine in different colors. i barely know anybody who's sound is more sec than hims tbh. ymmv - but before this goes OT: have a nice day dub!
sent you a PM.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sun May 26, 2019 6:55 am

I love that we're talking music now - so much easier! 

I'll give these a whirl but at a quick listen, yea, these wont be a problem on Portal. The kick did start from a place of dance/techno since that's where we had the biggest issues getting a decent kick 'designed.' So I think these types of kicks are not a problem for this widget. Of course they will sound a little different - or a lot - depending how closely you are listening and/or how fixated you are on duplicating another sound, but as I mentioned before, all of our testing in musical context ends up being ‘tune to make it fit the song's functional role for the kick' and so we have the freedom to give it a new character, which was a major part of our process.

When we started, we had thought long and hard about what a kick is actually for and we uncovered several things from our study. This idea came up where the low-end - more than any other frequency space - has a more low-level lizard-brain type of interaction with the human. When the bass is heavy and powerful, the lizard brain seems to become activated. Me Lizard Move. And the lizard is more attached to motor movements (or at least it's more of a hard-wired process). Violator kicks we call them. These force movement rather than (caringly, yet passionately) asking the human to move.

Of course, there is a time and place for heavy low-end. I personally cannot listen to bangers all the time - and of the duo of us, I’m def the more heavy-handed/harder banger type guy. They can be too serious, it's too draining, and hey, nobody even asked me to move yet here I am moving. Wait a second… fuck you! haha

But I've found when you take the lizard on a walk for 15 minutes, they are happy and they wont bother 'you.' Our favourite DJs and song-writers understand this principle - even in a place where violation is maybe why people go. This principle to only get rough/heavy after you are suitably pleased, willing, and ready. This seems to be where the mind and firmware merge in a mutually beneficial way and each is caring enough not to cause distraction. You remember these times.  Or at least I do.

But yea, this is just a kick module not an orgone accumulator so I'll save the rest of the story for our Journey writeups! And also still work work to get that last 10% so I should get to!

j259
Common Wiggler

Post by j259 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:09 am

I personally don’t like heavy low end and hard kicks in electronic or acoustic music because they often screw with the momentum of the song at above moderate tempo or otherwise call attention to themselves. While it is true that some songs are built around a kick sound, most songs sound better with percussion in a supportive role, and a beauty of modular is to find more subtle and interrelated sounds not possible in fixed architecture synthesizers.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sun May 26, 2019 10:41 am

Even I'm a big fan of Melchior Production his kicks sound super weak. But his music doesn't ask for a banger kick so it's all good. Problem is more about mixing but it is an other subject.

What I found very hard to get is a great sounding attack.

Low end is easy to get (sinewave) from patching or with a dedicated kick drum.
Getting great low end in a context of a track is more related to mixing once again.

Even with my bld I always fight with the attack. When I say attack I mean the top frequencies, above 1khz or so.
It is really hard to get it right. Very easy to have not enough or too much of it.

There is a low pass filter, but I wish there is more control on volume. Sometimes I don't want to filter these frequencies, just need more or less.
More I can do it using Q. But less... Hmm gotta use an EQ. So it is made on the post production.

There will never have enough controls on a kick drum module. Ahah!

And all these tracks are great but you can do these kinda kicks already. I hope (and I'm sure of it) that Rabid Elephant guys will bring way more on the table.

Really curious and full of hope for this dedicated kick drum module.

Will get my life easier Ahah.

Cheers,

J.
Last edited by Jaypee on Sun May 26, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 26, 2019 10:48 am

maybe you listen to some stimming b-sides (especially b2's), he sometimes also uses 'weak' kicks but perfectly balanced in the mix.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun May 26, 2019 11:36 am

played with this at sb a couple times. its very impressive. i think jomox is still the king of subby techno kicks, but the portal sits in a different territory. it has a nice natural sound that seems like it will sit well in a mix. the thud is warm but not muddy. most exciting to me is what im hoping to achieve through the membrane/s+h/modulation, it seems like you will get very lively natural variations that have previously been difficult to achieve with sequenced kicks

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 26, 2019 2:45 pm

the first tune in this set a was listening to before has by coincidence a very (let's call it) hollow dance-mania style kick drum in use. if i recall it correctly i think it's kassem mosse (sorry to lazy to dig):

http://soundcloud.com/thecrates/dj-knut ... l-02092017

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 pm

As long as you get somewhere near to that Theo Parrish/Moodymann warm fuzzy thud...

[video][/video]
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Such a deep album. The deepest. This track is like an ABC lesson in funky minimalism.
Multi Grooves wrote:As long as you get somewhere near to that Theo Parrish/Moodymann warm fuzzy thud...

[video][/video]

snm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snm » Tue May 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Will those blue knobs be on the production units?

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm

I'll PM some kicks over, most of the kicks posted already i would say my normal rack can easily do, I guess i'm desiring a module that can also push more towards a disco kick (a real kick sounds maybe from Linndrum era) although analog.

[video][/video]

This is what i can't get done on my rack this depth of punch without sounding zappy. Yeah i know this is a fully produced kick from top producer awesome track but the rest of the examples were kind of territory it think euro can do but trying to achieve a kick like this in euro is a headache (for me atm).

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:58 am

TemplarK wrote:I'll PM some kicks over, most of the kicks posted already i would say my normal rack can easily do, I guess i'm desiring a module that can also push more towards a disco kick (a real kick sounds maybe from Linndrum era) although analog.
This is what I came to say as well. Something that can approach this style of kick in euro i'd be all over.
Last edited by insoul8 on Thu May 30, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chrisj » Thu May 30, 2019 6:18 am

That's why I went for the Moog DFAM just for kick alone, and this Portal Kick is about the only thing I've heard (at least on the few demos) that also gets into that zone. I get very frustrated with modular and drum-box kicks unless they're a whole animal to themselves like the Blue Lantern Asteroid one. I'm really eager to see where this one goes. Wouldn't want to pay more than I did for the DFAM, but it seems to get just as effective as the DFAM with each having their own specialties.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Thu May 30, 2019 7:32 am

snm wrote:Will those blue knobs be on the production units?
Nah, this was a prototype and those were resin printed knobs. They will be very close in shape/feel (mr. hannes gave his seal of approval on the latest geometry) but precision machined of aluminum by Kilo with milled indicator and filled line. They will be anodised black, other colours as we see fit, though likely not on this module. They will be quite nice on the final units and future modules.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:04 am

PM33AUD wrote:They will be very close in shape/feel (mr. hannes gave his seal of approval on the latest geometry) but precision machined of aluminum by Kilo with milled indicator and filled line...
Now see, when people complain about the MSRP of RE's products, the response should be a lengthy report of all the pricey customizations like these that are put into your products.

Most people don't have any sense of how much more labor and detail goes into an RE product compared to most eurorack.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 am

[video][/video]

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:58 am

Multi Grooves wrote:As long as you get somewhere near to that Theo Parrish/Moodymann warm fuzzy thud...

[video][/video]
that type of kick is then more a problem of the listening situation in a homestudio me thinks ;)

i personally would rate the immediacy to get GOOD sounds MUCH higher than the last 7% of sound.
plus to have a wide enough range of good sounds *within* that given immediacy.
Thats eurorack, imho.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am

OT:
the disco kick mentioned above:
is that not a DMX ? (which were the ones to do that type of sound ? )
agree: this type of kicks have something to it that just fits right for the ear for many types of Music

edit:
TemplarK wrote: I guess i'm desiring a module that can also push more towards a disco kick (a real kick sounds maybe from Linndrum era) although analog.

[video][/video]
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Yeah the kick from that remix is maybe a DMX, kind of similar thing to a linndrum very tight short punchy kick, great for patterns that are more complex than 4/4, the more complex the pattern the shorter and punchier you usually want the kick.

I'm sure if your designing the circuits especially for kicks you can get similar analog sounds in the way of punch and length?

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 am

Funky40 wrote:

[video][/video]
that type of kick is then more a problem of the listening situation in a homestudio me thinks ;)

i personally would rate the immediacy to get GOOD sounds MUCH higher than the last 7% of sound.
plus to have a wide enough range of good sounds *within* that given immediacy.
Thats eurorack, imho.
Cool. I'll txt the boys from Detroit and tell them they've been getting it all wrong...

:tu:
Last edited by Multi Grooves on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”