Frap Tools USTA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ipnoteca
cane morto

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by ipnoteca » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:57 am

anyone with a nord drum 2 and/or skipmin would be so kind to contact me for further discussion?
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:12 pm

In my second try of USTA, after I re-read some of the user manual, I gained much more control. It is a serious machine.

But as I started to grasp its design, I felt that one central aspect of it was ill-considered.

The 3-color, color-per-mode scheme is basically like the Mutable Instruments UI convention. Frap's deep red, green, and blue is like MI's bright green, orange, and red: the colors within the set is are mutually exclusive modes; and as higher level modes are traversed, the set changes function. Thus, like its set, the function of each color changes contextually. So far, so good. :)

In the USTA design, however, the same set of colors is recursed in the hierarchy of higher and lower level modes. For some reason, Frap Tools chose to color code the USTA layers red, green, and blue, then color code the set of modes within each layer to be the same red, green, and blue. Why? So there would be fewer colors to remember? If instead each of the two sets contained different colors, they would be unambiguous.

Anyway, it's done. Maybe I am misunderstanding the design. I will revisit it, of course. But that's how it looks to me; and to my mind it smacks of false optimization.

So... the music. :) Here again, USTA is the only sequencer I used; and again I used only two of its channels. You may not be able to make USTA run backwards, but you can make it jump around enough to obscure its patterns' evident beginning or direction. Session notes are at the track's webpage.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:37 pm

I like the color consistency just because I'm color blind and it's the first module I can think of that I know which color I'm looking at each time rather than figuring out an alternative method to identify what mode I'm using.

I like the track. The PH into the LxD sounds huge.
THUMPR BC SC

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:47 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:37 pm
I like the color consistency just because I'm color blind and it's the first module I can think of that I know which color I'm looking at each time rather than figuring out an alternative method to identify what mode I'm using.
Interesting! Although I don't specialize in accessibility in design, I have an interest in it. For some time now I have assumed that reliance on color coding or cues in design is risky (traffic signals aside, I guess). But if your color blindness is blue/yellow (I'm not asking; just saying), then at least the USTA design's colors would be clear to you.
hawkfuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:37 pm
I like the track. The PH into the LxD sounds huge.
Thank you very much. Yes... that was such a simple part of the patch, but it really delivered.

EDIT 2/25 21:00 ET: I just re-equalized this track to reduce some of the massive bass. :oops:
Last edited by synonymist on Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonefabbri
Common Wiggler

Post by simonefabbri » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:42 pm

Hello everybody,
I apologize if I haven’t replied to these messages yet. I don’t know why but I don’t get email notifications anymore, I have to check some settings probably, who knows...
I’ll try to reply to some questions in the next days: we still have some unreplied email to address and to find a way to finish the next USTA update. There are a lot of things requested that will be introduced in the next updates and we’re looking forward to work on these. March will hopefully be a good month - also cause we started the Brenso production today, so we’ll be a bit more “free” :)

I think some of you already wrote us with feature requests, and I kindly ask to continue doing so - getting so much feedbacks is fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for the patience!

Simone
Frap Tools - http://frap.tools

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Thing does a lot and is so fun to play. Thanks for making it.
THUMPR BC SC

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Following. Just bought one after hours of research. Looking forward to it!
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:45 am

Recent live performance with USTA running everything

100000bps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 100000bps » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:59 am

Got it, and man, it's a very good sequencer! love how clever the UI/UX is :-), Ratchets on the same step as slide is <3

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:38 am

Quick question to verify I'm not overlooking something. Is there a way to launch a pattern on multiple tracks at once? Like let's say I press a button and all the tracks start playing pattern number 3. Right now it feels like I have a collection of Ableton clips in different tracks and I can't launch them all at the same time through a scene launch button.

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am

Got it and already have some ideas for next features:

1. Possibility to preview values for stages without changing those values (now when I want to see what’s exactly going on I need to turn the knob - display then shows values for particular stage).

2. Improve phase shift - now I get additional gates per stage when I send positive cv to do phase shift.

3. Possibility to Set All/Shift All backwards (!) to quickly change i.e. Stage length for limited number of stages, then I can quickly set up sequence with particular length.

4. Unipolar variation range - for example to get 1 and at least one gate per ratchet (now it goes to zero gates because it’s bipolar)

5. More random tools would be nice to have - like skip or jumping while going through stages. Maybe it could be done in stage length view, with additional color when I press an encoder. Like green is skip, red is jump randomly. Then pushing stage length button would give me an access to variation chance and range (?)

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Send that to their site. This is a huge thread and not as easy to comb through. They have a suggestions section on their page for USTA. :tu:
THUMPR BC SC

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:50 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:59 pm
Send that to their site. This is a huge thread and not as easy to comb through. They have a suggestions section on their page for USTA. :tu:
Did it straight away. Posting here for discussion.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:02 am

macio wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am

2. Improve phase shift - now I get additional gates per stage when I send positive cv to do phase shift.
I've noticed this, but with my USTA, it only happens when I'm running off of the internal clock. I don't get a second trigger per stage when using an external clock, which in my case is PNW.

Are you using the most recent firmware? I have tried this since updating my USTA to 150. From the USTA firmware page:
"fixed an issue that occasionally creates an additional gate event at the end of a green gate stage while using external clock"
Interestingly, that sounds like the opposite of what I've observed.

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:03 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:02 am
macio wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am

I've noticed this, but with my USTA, it only happens when I'm running off of the internal clock. I don't get a second trigger per stage when using an external clock, which in my case is PNW.

Are you using the most recent firmware? I have tried this since updating my USTA to 150. From the USTA firmware page:
"fixed an issue that occasionally creates an additional gate event at the end of a green gate stage while using external clock"
Interestingly, that sounds like the opposite of what I've observed.
I have 150 firmware. Additional gates happen only for internal clock.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:48 pm

macio wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:03 pm
I have 150 firmware. Additional gates happen only for internal clock.
I usually use an external clock, so it hasn't been much of an issue. That should be a quick bug to squash for Frap Tools.

In my opinion, the phase shift is one of the best features of USTA.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:19 am

Two threads, identical titles:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 6&t=216875

Mods merge plz
Mabel encounters a peahen.

studioutopia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by studioutopia » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Graffie wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:38 am
Quick question to verify I'm not overlooking something. Is there a way to launch a pattern on multiple tracks at once? Like let's say I press a button and all the tracks start playing pattern number 3. Right now it feels like I have a collection of Ableton clips in different tracks and I can't launch them all at the same time through a scene launch button.
Graffie: Any further developments on this?

Just got my USTA last night. This is the first stumbling block.
There needs to be a way to change all patterns, all at once...
As an example - I have Track 1 with 16 - 16th note stages, track 2 with 8 16th note stage.
In performance mode I'd like to change from pattern 1 on both tracks to pattern 2:
- if I have track 1 selected and change to pattern 2, it starts pattern 2 for all tracks - immediately after the 16th stage of the current cycle of track 1
- if I have track 2 selected and change to pattern 2, it starts pattern 2 for all tracks - immediately after the 16th stage of the current cycle of track 2
This would be ideal. Otherwise it can't be performed live.

Maybe CV patternShift?......

I'm still trying to figure out the CV-controlled pattern shift - can't seem to get it to work and stay on a pattern.
I was assuming that it would function like this:
Three patterns in my track 1 - 3. Set the pattern loop to be 01/03.
Send 0V to CVA, it loops on pattern 1. Send 1V it loops on pattern 2. Send 2V it loops on pattern 3...
but I can't seem to get it to do that, it keeps jumping around to other loops.

With Song mode and Pattern loops - it seems like it's made to require a definitive number of patterns and then change to another pattern - when what I really want is to stay on a pattern until I give it a directive to change via CV.

Other than this (which may be my limited experience so far) - I am LOVING this sequencer. The control and options within a track are fantastic!

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Unfortunately I still haven’t found a way to do it. So I submitted the following feat request.

“Launch scene”
In performance mode: hold SET ALL and double tap an encoder for the first pattern and press another for the last pattern.
Result: the patterns on all the 4 tracks change

This way it’s only a small alteration on how the fast change pattern works (which got added at fw150).

edit:
solved
Last edited by Graffie on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

studioutopia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by studioutopia » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Graffie wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:55 pm
“Launch scene”
In performance mode: hold SET ALL and double tap an encoder for the first pattern and press another for the last pattern.
Result: the patterns on all the 4 tracks change
Perfect.
In addition to that - It would be great to have an option for CVA and CVB to be able to change patterns like this:
I find patternShift is not very useful - I just want to select an arbitrary pattern and stay there.
I'd prefer a CV-controlled patternBrowse"....
where 0v sets the next to pattern 1 (01/01) to 10v = pattern 32 (32/01) (or -5v = pattern 1 to +5v = pattern 32), regardless of what the pattern loop is set to - that way you can change the pattern remotely from another sequencer - ie. Ableton via MIDI>CV.
This would effectively do what "Launch Scene" would do - as you could set every track to use CVA for patternBrowse... OR....
set CVA to patternBrowse tracks 1-3, and CVB to change track 4!

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:15 pm

Ha that sounds useful indeed and would allow for a more "traditional" style of sequencing. I do see some limitations tho. For example if you want a few patterns to be played an x amount of times this will then quickly consume the 32 available patterns. And depending on the piece you're writing this could be limiting. For me personally this would be fine tho. So I think you should submit the idea.

studioutopia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by studioutopia » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Giovanni Grandi from Frap Tools just got back to me on the first request:
To set all the tracks to the new pattern, you can combine these two new features:
added fast change of first/last pattern settings in performance mode on
the selected track: hold SET ALL and push an encoder for the first pattern and another for the last pattern
added the cloning of first/last pattern settings, in performance mode, from the selected track to the others, by double-clicking SHIFT ALL

In order to launch the same pattern on all the tracks, you should:

enter Performance Mode;
hold Set All and push the desired pattern encoder twice;
double click Shift All.

In this way, at the end of the current pattern, all the tracks will set to the same new one.
This was already in 150, and listed in the updates here (it will be in the next Manual One update):
http://frap.tools/firmwares/
added the cloning of first/last pattern settings, in performance mode, from the selected track to the others, by double-clicking SHIFT ALL
The problem with this is that you need to change the current pattern or select a new pattern loop, and then double click SHIFT to copy that to all tracks - and if your current loop ends in 8 16th notes - you better click FAST.

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Haha was about to post the same but you beat me to it. Well glad it was something I overlooked!

100000bps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 100000bps » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 am

Feature request (sent to frap via website):

Since we have gate length & step length it should be possible to record full midi information and translate it correctly to sequencer.

What i'm talking about is Hermod / er101-102 recording, where you basically play free-form, unquantised melody (lets say on keystep) and it gets recorded and played as is + translated to the interface.

So essentially i'd like for USTA to write me what's needed to make my melody on it. Automatic gate lenghts, step lenghts, ties, pitch recording that records for a set amount of patterns.

How to do it easily (i think)? Pitch change adds new knob/step. holding pitch (key on a keyboard) fills up the step length & gate length. no action (key not pressed on a keyboard) fills up the remaining step length & adds new steps if necessary, until another pitch information comes in. Very fast presses add ratchets. Resolution is dependant on clock.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm

100000bps wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 am
How to do it easily (i think)? Pitch change adds new knob/step. holding pitch (key on a keyboard) fills up the step length & gate length. no action (key not pressed on a keyboard) fills up the remaining step length & adds new steps if necessary, until another pitch information comes in. Very fast presses add ratchets. Resolution is dependant on clock.
I haven't tried it, but there is a way to input into USTA with a keyboard that outputs gate pulses and CV. I'm pretty sure that isn't real-time, though. I think you enter a note, it records and advances a stage, you enter another note, it records and advances as stage...

I've submitted a few feature requests, and the response I've gotten to a few of them is that USTA's processor has a finite amount of memory. All processors have that, obviously, but the implication seemed to be that USTA was running near tolerance. What you're describing does sounds a bit processor-intensive, so I'm don't know how much that might limit that potential with everything else it's doing. I haven't looked into which processors USTA and ER101 are using, but it does seem like the ER101 might have a more robust processor.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”