Frap Tools USTA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

nulla_spes
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by nulla_spes » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:22 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 am
@Frap Tools, if you’re listening, a generate function to generate random cv / gate patterns would be fantastic.
I would imagine it’s not to difficult to implement.
We've got this noted down! The main concern so far is how to make it co-exists with the current features, and how to set the parameters for this random to happen (like, how to set the Variation Range and Index parameters in a not-too-cumbersome way). We'll keep working on that!
NaiveMelody wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 am
hawkfuzz wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:52 am
You can push two buttons at the same time to get both to mute. You can also mute CV and Gate signals of each track. There's a cheat sheet somewhere in this thread you can search for to help.
That's great, thanks very much! Will take a look.
In case it's needed, here is the official cheat sheet :tu:
Frap Tools – frap.tools

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:58 am

nulla_spes wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:22 am
NaiveMelody wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 am
hawkfuzz wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:52 am
You can push two buttons at the same time to get both to mute. You can also mute CV and Gate signals of each track. There's a cheat sheet somewhere in this thread you can search for to help.
That's great, thanks very much! Will take a look.
In case it's needed, here is the official cheat sheet :tu:

Thank you, I'm studying now :mrgreen:

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Someone mentioned the Usta sequencer is not recommended for sequencing polyphonic notes ( I assume, as long as the vco is not spitting polyphonic signals...)
I def. don’t see it specifically designed for sequencing drums.
Is it focused on traditional monophonic signals only?

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:54 pm

lmixl wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:14 pm
Someone mentioned the Usta sequencer is not recommended for sequencing polyphonic notes ( I assume, as long as the VCO is not splitting polyphonic signals...)
I disagree with that - assuming you are talking about CV controlled modular, and not MIDI. It does not sequence MIDI.
Each track has two CV outputs - both can be set to pitch output - which gives you two notes of polyphony/paraphony. They will follow the same quantization - ie. C Ionian. This means you can create a duophonic sequence per track. If you wanted - you could go so far as to create an 8-voice polyphonic sequence - using all four tracks. And this could also be truly polyphonic - as each pitch output can have its own gate as well - as opposed to a paraphonic setup where you only have one gate for all voices. The only concern would be... do you have enough oscillators, filters, envelopes and VCAs to actually do an 8-voice polyphonic sequence.
The most I've done with "true-polyphony" (with all components matching) in my experiments have been 2-voices - once with two Instruo triangle core VCOs, two filters in Korgasmatron II, two envelopes on Quadrax, and two channels of a Quad VCA. And then again - right now - using the two wavetable oscillators in Piston Honda MkIII, and the two halves of Bionic Lester MkIII for filters with the same envelopes and VCAs. It gives you a whole new appreciation for synths like the Prophet 6 - with 6 of everything under digital control, or Deckard's Dream with 8 ...just think of what is inside any analog polysynth. As much as I'd love to do 4-voice, I can't stomach buying that many of the same VCO and filter... That's why I have a Prophet Rev2.
For the most part, paraphonic (more than one VCO, with a single filter/Envelope/VCA) does the job.

I have also sequenced drums - using two tracks (4 gates total), and then using the four CV outputs for modulation.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:24 pm

lmixl wrote:
Someone mentioned the Usta sequencer is not recommended for sequencing polyphonic notes ( I assume, as long as the vco is not spitting polyphonic signals...)
It's brilliant at percussion sequencing actually, the ratcheting behaviour, probability, variable stage lengths per track make it a techno monster. Two CV's per track are also very useful for sound design, velocity, controlling envelope times per stage, then the stage loop function with the new pattern rotate functions make it really easy to get interesting drum sequencing thats superbly performable.

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm

MossGarden wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:24 pm
It's brilliant at percussion sequencing actually, the ratcheting behaviour, probability, variable stage lengths per track make it a techno monster. Two CV's per track are also very useful for sound design, velocity, controlling envelope times per stage, then the stage loop function with the new pattern rotate functions make it really easy to get interesting drum sequencing thats superbly performable.
Good heavens I have so much to learn. :eek:
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Holding Set and CV A/B locks that CV value for every stage - I'd there a way to set that so it toggles/latches rather than holding the combo down?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:33 pm

lmixl wrote:

Where did you see this?
THUMPR BC SC

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 pm

I watched Loopop’s presentation and at some point he mentions that thing. There is one comment from an user called Gaetan, where he asks him about it...no reply though.
I was just curious about his comment...because I do consider this module.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 am

Yes, I was thinking more about its GUI , the way the steps are layed out...personally, for drum steps I would prefer a linear/xox or matrix steps.
MossGarden wrote:
lmixl wrote:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:41 am

lmixl wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 pm
I watched Loopop’s presentation and at some point he mentions that thing. There is one comment from an user called Gaetan, where he asks him about it...no reply though.
I was just curious about his comment...because I do consider this module.
I just rewatched that part. It's not that you couldn't do polyphonic sequences. If you have 4 oscillators you can make chords if you want to make chords, however, remembering what each note is from each track isn't as easy as sequencer that allows you to make the chord on one screen like a piano roll. He's just speaking to a level of efficiency, not possibilities.

Most euro is monophonic so yes most sequencers are made for monophonic sequencing. If you're talking about using USTA to sequence a polyphonic synth that has CV in, that won't do anything but monophonic because it's one signal.
THUMPR BC SC

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:04 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:41 am

I just rewatched that part. It's not that you couldn't do polyphonic sequences. If you have 4 oscillators you can make chords if you want to make chords, however, remembering what each note is from each track isn't as easy as sequencer that allows you to make the chord on one screen like a piano roll. He's just speaking to a level of efficiency, not possibilities.
I don't find making polyphonic sequences hard with USTA. If there's two voices that can share gate and step length, you can just set to the "B" CV of that track to quantized CV, and it's very easy to swap back and forth between the CV tracks/channels. I find USTA's composition mode particularly useful for this, and very fluid, once you've gotten used to the workflow. It's just about as easy to jump between different tracks, if you need more than 2 voices, or if each voice must have different gate and step length.

It seems like the point here is that if you're used to the linear narrative layout of a DAW, USTA is going to take some time to get used to. Personally, if that's an issue, I wouldn't waste your time with a euro sequencer, I'd just get an interface so you can plug your computer into your modular.

For me, the USTA is the only euro sequencer that has the right balance of euro quirks, and DAW-like complexity.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 am

It's really not hard at all. I agree 100%. However, there's a allure to hardware that isn't met with the allure of adjusting to the workflow or limitations for a lot of people and I think Loopop was addressing that segment I suppose.

The USTA is more DAW oriented then I'm used to because I only use DAW for recording hardware, but after having USTA it's helped me understand how Ableton works a little bit better as far as separate tracks.
THUMPR BC SC

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:45 am

InsectInPixel wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm
MossGarden wrote:
Good heavens I have so much to learn. :eek:

Here's a quick example of USTA for sequencing percussion etc.. It's a quick acid like demo where i have kick snare and percussion with a bassline across two usta channels. It' a single pattern, with probability states adjusted to bring in fills at times etc, the hihat/perc voice is using the ratchetting feature against the gate of the bassline. Very complex patern permutations within a single usta pattern and I'm not really adjusting anything on it. The other half of usta could be doing something completely different.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm

nice bangin' lines there...how is the usta interface working for you when sequencing drum steps? Were you used with traditional xox linear sequences for drums ? How is the transition? How intuitive? I guess it is visual intuitive, after you learn the color codes on usta

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:57 pm

lmixl wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm
nice bangin' lines there...how is the usta interface working for you when sequencing drum steps? Were you used with traditional xox linear sequences for drums ? How is the transition? How intuitive? I guess it is visual intuitive, after you learn the color codes on usta
I find it pretty straight forward, I just imagine the interface as a clock face and I can visualise exactly where steps need to go. The three gate layers are super useful here, applying blue and green values on steps you’ve not actually placed an active gate on will allow events to happen with probability without losing the main groove you’ve manually programmed in. It’s just as flexible as anything else for rhythm I feel, yeah it approaches aspects of sequencing differently, but that is not a negative in my mind. You could make some seriously complex breakcore/idm sequences with it if you really want or just jam out like I did there, it took me maybe 5-10mins to get that pattern down, spent longer dialling in my csl and stereo dipole.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:30 pm

Great!

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:19 pm

One thing that I am having so much pleasure with the USTA is dedicating a track to drive the sequence of a sequential switch, mine being the WMD SSM. Having the stage length control over each switch of the matrix is godsend for me! And the CV outs non-quantized to feed external CV ins that are synced with the matrix changes... it's so much fun.

I'm usually using 2 tracks of USTA for musical sequencing duties, and the other 2 tracks to do more utilitarian duties, like I've described above, but I get so inspired sometimes that I could see the potential of having 2 USTAs; one dedicated to melody, and another that is all utilities.

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:28 am

Having multipliers bigger than 1:8 would be great. I don’t know why isn’t it the same as with divider which I think goes to 24:1

Skelecaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:40 pm

Hasn’t been much activity in here recently, how are people liking the module these days? Strongly considering one as my only in-rack sequencer, but hesitating due to cost. I don’t see many in racks on Instagram compared to NerdSeq or ER-101/102 sequencers.

Is there any chance of an expander module with more inputs?

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:09 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:40 pm
Hasn’t been much activity in here recently, how are people liking the module these days? Strongly considering one as my only in-rack sequencer, but hesitating due to cost. I don’t see many in racks on Instagram compared to NerdSeq or ER-101/102 sequencers.

USTA only just came back into stock, so that might be the reason for the lack of activity on the thread.

USTA's a serious option. Watch all the Frap Tools videos, they give a good sense of the potential. Each eurorack sequencer is a strong "opinion" about how to deal with time and events. For me, USTA is the best answer at the moment.

Skelecaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skelecaster » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 am

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:09 pm
Skelecaster wrote:

USTA only just came back into stock, so that might be the reason for the lack of activity on the thread.

USTA's a serious option. Watch all the Frap Tools videos, they give a good sense of the potential. Each eurorack sequencer is a strong "opinion" about how to deal with time and events. For me, USTA is the best answer at the moment.
I just ordered one yesterday, I’ve been watching videos on it since before last Xmas when the Loopop video came out and I really think it seems like the best sequencer to me by far. Seeing that Caterina Barbieri also seems to use/endorse it too also helped me make the leap. Can’t wait for it to arrive, I’ll definitely post about my experience with it after I‘ve used it for a while.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:15 am

Skelecaster wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 am
closedLoop wrote:
Skelecaster wrote:

I just ordered one yesterday, I’ve been watching videos on it since before last Xmas when the Loopop video came out and I really think it seems like the best sequencer to me by far. Seeing that Caterina Barbieri also seems to use/endorse it too also helped me make the leap. Can’t wait for it to arrive, I’ll definitely post about my experience with it after I‘ve used it for a while.
The Loopop video, Caterina's endorsement of it, and the principals and ergonomics of the design were key factors for me too. I've had mine since the day I went into self-isolation for the pandemic (March 11), and I'm still working from home, and still enamoured with this fantastic machine. It is easy to get lost in over-using/abusing the probability functionality. The workflow of setting 16 stages to select arbitrary notes in a particular scale, and then go to town changing the length of each stage has never ceased to be a source of inspiration and a limitless supply of happy accidents. I've tried a lot of sequencers and nothing compares to USTA, IMHO. I've almost stopped using Ableton and my MIDI-CV converters for melodic sequencing. I almost always compose with Push 2 for drums and percussion and USTA for everything melodic.
My modular is largely Instruō, Intellijel, and Frap - with a smattering of IME, Make Noise and Xaoc. I would have to say Frap Tools makes some of the best products I've ever used. I also have Falistri, 333, 321 and a starter CGM set of two channels, a group and master... and a Brenso on the way.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:19 pm

@Skelecaster

I don't know about an expander module.

It's a fine module and I wouldn't let IG determine your opinion. If it does what you want you should definitely get one and if it's not what you want there are some other amazing and deep options.

I've not looked into the ER-101/102 options much. Not that they don't seem great, just not what I'd want for a sequencer currently.

USTA hasn't been in circulation as long as the other two so give it time.
THUMPR BC SC

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:25 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:15 am
Skelecaster wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 am
closedLoop wrote:
Skelecaster wrote:

The Loopop video, Caterina's endorsement of it, and the principals and ergonomics of the design were key factors for me too. I've had mine since the day I went into self-isolation for the pandemic (March 11), and I'm still working from home, and still enamoured with this fantastic machine. It is easy to get lost in over-using/abusing the probability functionality. The workflow of setting 16 stages to select arbitrary notes in a particular scale, and then go to town changing the length of each stage has never ceased to be a source of inspiration and a limitless supply of happy accidents. I've tried a lot of sequencers and nothing compares to USTA, IMHO. I've almost stopped using Ableton and my MIDI-CV converters for melodic sequencing. I almost always compose with Push 2 for drums and percussion and USTA for everything melodic.
My modular is largely Instruō, Intellijel, and Frap - with a smattering of IME, Make Noise and Xaoc. I would have to say Frap Tools makes some of the best products I've ever used. I also have Falistri, 333, 321 and a starter CGM set of two channels, a group and master... and a Brenso on the way.
I went with Vector myself (with no regrets), but would say, every time I hear studioutopia's stuff on his SoundCloud channel, it's easy to hear how powerful and creative-flow inducing USTA can be. Check his SoundCloud out if you want to hear USTA in action. :sb:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”