Frap Tools USTA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 am
Location: chicago
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by mattdennewitz » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:44 pm

is track muting supposed to be temporary, only while the key combination is held? or am i doing something incorrectly?
-m

wiggle hunt, global synth gear search: https://wigglehunt.com

closedLoop
Common Wiggler
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 am
Location: nyc

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by closedLoop » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:08 pm

neumedi wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:25 pm
I went with Vector myself (with no regrets), but would say, every time I hear studioutopia's stuff on his SoundCloud channel, it's easy to hear how powerful and creative-flow inducing USTA can be. Check his SoundCloud out if you want to hear USTA in action. :sb:
Vector is the only other sequencer I considered. Like USTA, there just wasn't that much info about Vector out there (at the time I grabbed USTA).

What tipped the scales for me (pun intended), was USTA's support for microtonal scales, and polymeter/polyrhythm. The stage length aspect of USTA really opens up possibilities that seem natural to me. Someone really did their homework

I also find UTSA's Buchla-inspired ring of encoders just really attractive. When I look at USTA, there's something that just makes me want to start sequencing with it.

Crankler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:37 pm
Location: Durham NC

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by Crankler » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:34 pm

I’m racking up a USTA tonight, and will hopefully be able to provide some activity on this thread in short order. I appreciate all the posts so far, I’ve been lurking regularly for the past few months.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by studioutopia » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Crankler wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:34 pm
I’m racking up a USTA tonight, and will hopefully be able to provide some activity on this thread in short order. I appreciate all the posts so far, I’ve been lurking regularly for the past few months.
Congratulations! Welcome to the club ;-)

Crankler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:37 pm
Location: Durham NC

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by Crankler » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks! I’m excited to explore this territory in modular. It’s been function generators and quantizers for generating melodies for the past two years.

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2014
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:21 pm

mattdennewitz wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:44 pm
is track muting supposed to be temporary, only while the key combination is held? or am i doing something incorrectly?
Mute continues

Only thing I can think of is you're using the HOLD function on GATE.

Have you consulted the CHEAT SHEET to make sure you're doing it correctly?
THUMPR BC SC

User avatar
mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 am
Location: chicago
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by mattdennewitz » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:38 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:21 pm
mattdennewitz wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:44 pm
is track muting supposed to be temporary, only while the key combination is held? or am i doing something incorrectly?
Mute continues

Only thing I can think of is you're using the HOLD function on GATE.

Have you consulted the CHEAT SHEET to make sure you're doing it correctly?
i must have been using the hold function on gates. thanks!
-m

wiggle hunt, global synth gear search: https://wigglehunt.com

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2014
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:32 am

NP.

It can be weird remembering the combos, but it gets easier.
THUMPR BC SC

Cpaf
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 am

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by Cpaf » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:42 am

Maybe an expansion, 2-4 hp or something with two additional CV ins and buttons for common functions to evade having to remember SO many button combos with no visual hints. Maybe also to evade having to remember All the colour meanings.

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2014
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:56 pm

There has to be I/O connectivity within the hardware. As of yet no mention has been made of an expander but I don't know how all the pin heads on the back of the module function...
THUMPR BC SC

closedLoop
Common Wiggler
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 am
Location: nyc

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by closedLoop » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:51 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:56 pm
There has to be I/O connectivity within the hardware. As of yet no mention has been made of an expander but I don't know how all the pin heads on the back of the module function...
If those are expansion headers, I would like to place my pre-order for an USTA expander that has 3x Clock and Reset inputs. For me, that would let USTA completely off the leash.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by peachesandbacon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:20 am

If there was an expander I’d love to see a midi out too!

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6818
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re:

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:45 am

Lokua wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:12 am
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:richc90, a significant portion of the cost of USTA must be those custom encoders with LED ring surrounds. They look cool, but how effective do they actually seem to be as a visual reference?
I'm not sure they're so "custom" .....

Image


The LED rings are deeply useful in the device I've posted above. But I've no idea how they're configured in that sequencer.

8-)
LOVE the MFT. I have two of them. Now if only they could do MIDI without a computer :cry:

Been wondering when that encoder style would show up in eurorack. Although, this one looks like they've broken the "ring" down into four quadrants, so it is unique AFAIK
They can operate without a computer. What's required is a device that Kenton makes which permits conversion of the USB I/O port on the MFT to the standard 5 pin MIDI DIN connector. The Kenton device is powered by a 9vdc wall wart, and the Kenton then provides power to the MFT via the MFT's USB port. So in summary, MFT plus Kenton = MFT without computer.

This is quite off topic so I'll send this to you via PM where any further discussion about this may take place. I'll also leave this posted here to ~resolve~ the question that was raised in this thread about needing a computer with the MFT.

Thank you, everyone. :)
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6818
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:08 am

Re; LED rings, they're around and have been for at least a few years now ... that manufacturer "VPME.DE" (fella named "Vlad") uses those in his Euro module sequencers and drum machines, has since three/four years.

LINK = https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... ection=asc

Looks like it's a visual thing we're going to need to become accustomed to....

"Will it go 'round in circles ... will it fly high like a bird up in the sky .. " (anyone? ... no?)








Billy Preston dammit



8-)
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

studioutopia
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by studioutopia » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:29 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:08 am
Re; LED rings, they're around and have been for at least a few years now ... that manufacturer "VPME.DE" (fella named "Vlad") uses those in his Euro module sequencers and drum machines, has since three/four years.

LINK = https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... ection=asc

Looks like it's a visual thing we're going to need to become accustomed to....

"Will it go 'round in circles ... will it fly high like a bird up in the sky .. " (anyone? ... no?)








Billy Preston dammit



8-)
Haha... Billy Preston. Cool!

Those LED ring encoders have been around a while... Nord Lead 3 had them in 2001.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by studioutopia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:08 am

Until now, I've been manually setting pattern cycles, or manually selecting patterns.
So I am giving it a go again with Song mode... one thing is frustrating the hell out of me:
How do you skip the playhead over to a different slot in the song (ie FFWD or REWIND)? The DAW equivalent of starting playback at 2:00 into the track, for instance.
Here is an example:
- I have four slots (1-4), each with a different pattern (1-4), each repeating 4 times.
- Whenever I press play on my master controller, the song resets and starts at slot 1 and progresses through.
- Now I want to preview the transition from slot 3 to slot 4, and after hearing that transition, I want to "rewind" back to slot 3 again, and hear that transition.
I can't stop playback - it will reset back to slot 1. So how do I tell USTA, "Go here"?
Does anyone else have a workflow for song mode?

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by BaloErets » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:52 am

studioutopia wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:08 am
Until now, I've been manually setting pattern cycles, or manually selecting patterns.
So I am giving it a go again with Song mode... one thing is frustrating the hell out of me:
How do you skip the playhead over to a different slot in the song (ie FFWD or REWIND)? The DAW equivalent of starting playback at 2:00 into the track, for instance.
Here is an example:
- I have four slots (1-4), each with a different pattern (1-4), each repeating 4 times.
- Whenever I press play on my master controller, the song resets and starts at slot 1 and progresses through.
- Now I want to preview the transition from slot 3 to slot 4, and after hearing that transition, I want to "rewind" back to slot 3 again, and hear that transition.
I can't stop playback - it will reset back to slot 1. So how do I tell USTA, "Go here"?
Does anyone else have a workflow for song mode?
You might want to look into Composition mode. From the manual;

If you push play while still being in Composition Mode, the sequence
will play after the one currently selected. This feature can be very useful
in case you want to hear portions of your sequence starting in other
stages than the first one: for this purpose, simply locate the playhead
at the stage before the one you want to hear first, and push play without
leaving the Composition Mode.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by studioutopia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:55 am

BaloErets wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:52 am
studioutopia wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:08 am
Until now, I've been manually setting pattern cycles, or manually selecting patterns.
So I am giving it a go again with Song mode... one thing is frustrating the hell out of me:
How do you skip the playhead over to a different slot in the song (ie FFWD or REWIND)? The DAW equivalent of starting playback at 2:00 into the track, for instance.
Here is an example:
- I have four slots (1-4), each with a different pattern (1-4), each repeating 4 times.
- Whenever I press play on my master controller, the song resets and starts at slot 1 and progresses through.
- Now I want to preview the transition from slot 3 to slot 4, and after hearing that transition, I want to "rewind" back to slot 3 again, and hear that transition.
I can't stop playback - it will reset back to slot 1. So how do I tell USTA, "Go here"?
Does anyone else have a workflow for song mode?
You might want to look into Composition mode. From the manual;

If you push play while still being in Composition Mode, the sequence
will play after the one currently selected. This feature can be very useful
in case you want to hear portions of your sequence starting in other
stages than the first one: for this purpose, simply locate the playhead
at the stage before the one you want to hear first, and push play without
leaving the Composition Mode.
Thanks... I'll give that a try! Never thought of using that while in Song mode.

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2014
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Oooof I still haven't touched Song mode really. So that'll be fun to get to master.
THUMPR BC SC

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by BaloErets » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 pm

After now having a couple of month using the USTA, I'm finding myself wanting to have a mode that is more conscious of the stages that are not being used in a pattern. For an example, I have a pattern that is using the first 12 stages. As it is currently, if I rotate the pattern, they offset no matter if the stage is active or not. I would love a mode that kind of freezes in place the stages that are not being used so I can keep my 12 steps and if I rotate the pattern once, the last active stage becomes the first active stage rather than the next stage that is inactive.
Last edited by BaloErets on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by BaloErets » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:31 pm

dbl post. My apologies.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by studioutopia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:36 pm

BaloErets wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 pm
After now having a couple of month using the USTA, I'm finding myself wanting to have a mode that is more conscious of the stages that are not being used in a pattern. For an example, I have a pattern that is using the first 12 stages. As it is currently, if I rotate the pattern, they offset no matter if the stage is active or not. I would love a mode that kind of freezes in place the stages that are not being used so I can keep my 12 steps and if I rotate the pattern once, the last active stage becomes the first active stage rather than the next stage that is inactive.
Submit that to frap!! I agree completely!
Half of the time I have several stages unused as I compose, and then pattern rotate functionality loses all usefulness.
It should be as though if the stage length is 0, then ignore that stage and pass all the values to the next stage, and so on.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 am
Location: nyc

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by closedLoop » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:01 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Submit that to frap!! I agree completely!
Half of the time I have several stages unused as I compose, and then pattern rotate functionality loses all usefulness.
It should be as though if the stage length is 0, then ignore that stage and pass all the values to the next stage, and so on.
Agreed, definitely submit this one. This would be a really smart, and potentially performative addition to USTA.

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by BaloErets » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:25 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:01 pm
studioutopia wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Submit that to frap!! I agree completely!
Half of the time I have several stages unused as I compose, and then pattern rotate functionality loses all usefulness.
It should be as though if the stage length is 0, then ignore that stage and pass all the values to the next stage, and so on.
Agreed, definitely submit this one. This would be a really smart, and potentially performative addition to USTA.
Send in the request! Fingers crossed :)

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2014
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:12 pm

I think I sent a request for this feature as well but can't recall.
THUMPR BC SC

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”