Frap Tools USTA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by Franktree » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:53 pm

New USTA owner and I'm having weird issues clocking it externally. I'm clocking from Pam just normally, nothing fancy. And when I use the ratio control (so it's multiplying the clock) the clock gets all weird, it's almost like there's an LFO controlling the clock, so that it speeds up and slows down (including momentarily pausing) continually. When I do the same thing, but with the internal clock--same exact settings, nothing changed except going from external to internal clock--it responds normally. I thought about just using USTA as my master clock, but as far as I can tell, there's no clock output. And besides, I'd rather use Pam as my master clock.

Is this something anyone else has run into? Am I doing something wrong somehow?

Here's a video of what's it's doing:

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:09 pm

Franktree wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:53 pm

That is weird.

I've never had that happen with USTA, and I only run it externally clocked from PNW. I really only ever use /2 and x2 of the PNW clock within USTA, so maybe it's an issue with faster clocks?

Have you tried changing the pulse width in PNW?
Are you running the latest firmware on USTA?

EDIT:
I know you said that it's a straight PNW clock, but, rewatching the vid, it really looks like USTA trying to sync with an irregular clock. It looks like it's trying to sync to a euclidean clock, or some other modded clock signal.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:37 pm

I have this issue at first with clocking and then it levels out. It usually takes less time if I stop and start again. It’s annoying but I’m sure I need to play with ppqn settings.
THUMPR BC SC

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:09 pm
Franktree wrote:

That is weird.

I've never had that happen with USTA, and I only run it externally clocked from PNW. I really only ever use /2 and x2 of the PNW clock within USTA, so maybe it's an issue with faster clocks?

EDIT:
I know you said that it's a straight PNW clock, but, rewatching the vid, it really looks like USTA trying to sync with an irregular clock. It looks like it's trying to sync to a euclidean clock, or some other modded clock signal.
Stupid user error. :doh: You were basically right. I had set the output of Pams I was using to a random wave instead of a pulse wave. Set to a pulse wave, works fine now!

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Franktree wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 pm
closedLoop wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:09 pm
Franktree wrote:

That is weird.

EDIT:
Stupid user error. :doh: You were basically right. I had set the output of Pams I was using to a random wave instead of a pulse wave. Set to a pulse wave, works fine now!
Glad you got that sorted!
Just to note, although there is no dedicated clock output on USTA, you can create a clock output if you have one of the gate tracks not in use. I often reserve one of the gate outs on track for as a clock output.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:14 pm

BaloErets wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Glad you got that sorted!
Just to note, although there is no dedicated clock output on USTA, you can create a clock output if you have one of the gate tracks not in use. I often reserve one of the gate outs on track for as a clock output.
That's a good point. Even if the stage lengths aren't 1, you can always set the racheting of each stage to the same number as the stage length, and get an even clock pulse.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:12 am

Franktree wrote:
New USTA owner and I'm having weird issues clocking it externally. I'm clocking from Pam just normally, nothing fancy. And when I use the ratio control (so it's multiplying the clock) the clock gets all weird, it's almost like there's an LFO controlling the clock, so that it speeds up and slows down (including momentarily pausing) continually. When I do the same thing, but with the internal clock--same exact settings, nothing changed except going from external to internal clock--it responds normally. I thought about just using USTA as my master clock, but as far as I can tell, there's no clock output. And besides, I'd rather use Pam as my master clock.

I find patching a x1 pams clock into Usta's clock input, then a second pams output set to 'ON' with usta's aux target set to Run4 gives the most stable behaviour. From here you can set timing ratios for each USTA track easily. I had timing issues with Pams early on, usta would need to play catchup to the clock for instance, or I'd need to ratio things in my head so that they locked together, since working this way it's been tight.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:14 pm

I also do the same as Mossgarden and it works great.

Only issue I've noticed is the BPM display on USTA is usually off my 1 compared BPM set on Pam's.

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks for the clocking advice, all! Looking forward to trying it out.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:19 pm

So I have really dived deep into the USTA now that i had a bit of vacation time, and I'm loving it more and more everyday. It's so playable and so fun to jam with.

While jamming this evening with Phase-shifting identical tracks somewhat in the Steve Reich domain, I thought it could be really cool if there was a way to phase-shift independent layers of a track. In it's current state, you hold down the track number and turn the main encoder to shift all layers of a stage, but imagine if you could hold down CVA and turn the encoder to phase-shift only the CVA layer while all the other layers don't move. Even cooler would be if you could hold down multiple buttons to phase-shift more than one layer, while ignoring others. So say you hold down CVA and the stage-length button while you turn the encoder, you phase-shift both CVA and the stage-length of that stage, but the others are ignored.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:34 pm

BaloErets wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:19 pm
So I have really dived deep into the USTA now that i had a bit of vacation time, and I'm loving it more and more everyday. It's so playable and so fun to jam with.

While jamming this evening with Phase-shifting identical tracks somewhat in the Steve Reich domain, I thought it could be really cool if there was a way to phase-shift independent layers of a track. In it's current state, you hold down the track number and turn the main encoder to shift all layers of a stage, but imagine if you could hold down CVA and turn the encoder to phase-shift only the CVA layer while all the other layers don't move. Even cooler would be if you could hold down multiple buttons to phase-shift more than one layer, while ignoring others. So say you hold down CVA and the stage-length button while you turn the encoder, you phase-shift both CVA and the stage-length of that stage, but the others are ignored.
:hail: Brilliant! This would be amazing!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”