Frap Tools USTA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

simonefabbri
Common Wiggler

Post by simonefabbri » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:20 am

not on current version 149, hopefully with the upcoming update together with other nice tricks!!!
Frap Tools - http://frap.tools

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:31 am

simonefabbri wrote:not on current version 149, hopefully with the upcoming update together with other nice tricks!!!
:sb: :sb: :sb:

Amazing! Can't wait, I'm seriously loving this thing, hoping to shoot some videos with it this week. :sb:

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:19 am

I know this is the same for all sequencers that have the ability to divide/multiply the rate of an external clock - but is there anyway for the little glitch at the start or reset (whilst the sequencer computes the rate of the external clock) to not happen when in 1/1 ratio mode? ie. a "pure" mode where the external clock rate is not calculated but where each pulse simply moves the sequencer on a step.

simonefabbri
Common Wiggler

Post by simonefabbri » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:27 am

Kirk Degiorgio wrote:I know this is the same for all sequencers that have the ability to divide/multiply the rate of an external clock - but is there anyway for the little glitch at the start or reset (whilst the sequencer computes the rate of the external clock) to not happen when in 1/1 ratio mode? ie. a "pure" mode where the external clock rate is not calculated but where each pulse simply moves the sequencer on a step.
1:1 is the best choice when using external divisions since the clock manages the movement from one stage to the other, assuming the stage has a length of 1. About the reset, it is by default not on real time but "at the end of the current stage". There is an option on menu for each track to set the behavior of the reset to happen when it receives the reset pulse, or when the stage actually ends. This option is selected by default so you can "book" the reset even by hand a bit before the end of the stages and it knows that at the end of the stage, it will reset in time.

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 am

On Instagram there is a story posted on their page about how the USTA can be used to sequence videos too........my ears are quite perked on learning more.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Look up LZX Industries stuff. It's most likely sequencing a module from that company. If so, it's not inherent to Usta, and could be sequenced by any sequencer.
Kirk Degiorgio wrote:I know this is the same for all sequencers that have the ability to divide/multiply the rate of an external clock - but is there anyway for the little glitch at the start or reset (whilst the sequencer computes the rate of the external clock) to not happen when in 1/1 ratio mode? ie. a "pure" mode where the external clock rate is not calculated but where each pulse simply moves the sequencer on a step.
I think this is how most PLAY inputs of sequencers work, but I could be mistaken. Never really messed with that input.
THUMPR BC SC

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:42 pm

I think this is how most PLAY inputs of sequencers work, but I could be mistaken. Never really messed with that input.[/quote]

yes, they have to calculate from at least two triggers to work out the correct rate so they can divide/mulitply - but looks like Simone has confirmed that having the 1:1 ratio avoids this as the clock moves the stages on in this mode. Good for me, I can divide the clock at source.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm

:doh: Got it
THUMPR BC SC

egon77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by egon77 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Crimesofthecrown wrote:On Instagram there is a story posted on their page about how the USTA can be used to sequence videos too........my ears are quite perked on learning more.

That was me sequencing the video stuff. Hawkfuzz is right. Not an USTA specific thing. I'm sending the sequence CV and gates through a CV->Midi convertor module, which is triggering the videos from my laptop. I usually use the teletype for it but since I got the USTA I'm going to be switching between them. Love this module!

Btw, (for Simone) I had one more tiny feature request that I think would be helpful. In Composition mode, it would be great if, when you turn the Navigation encoder, you could see the note/voltage info update on the display for each stage. At the moment, the display remains blank until you turn the stage encoder which can sometimes be confusing because you're not sure if you've incremented it or just refreshed it. Does that make sense?

Thanks for designing this amazing sequencer!

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:16 am

Here's a piece I just finished with USTA running everything. I fucking love this thing! :hail:

[video][/video] x

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:10 am

MossGarden wrote:Here's a piece I just finished with USTA running everything. I fucking love this thing! :hail:
Lovely piece. If you’d be willing to detail a bit about what all USTA is doing in it, I’d be interested to read about that. (I can see from the video that it’s directly sequencing a short melodic gesture.)

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:01 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
MossGarden wrote:Here's a piece I just finished with USTA running everything. I fucking love this thing! :hail:
Lovely piece. If you’d be willing to detail a bit about what all USTA is doing in it, I’d be interested to read about that. (I can see from the video that it’s directly sequencing a short melodic gesture.)
Thanks, track 1 is sequencing the wavetable chords from braids + instruo CsL as a sub bass on cva, cvb is going to rings with gate b ratcheting with probability settings in order to get more gate variation from the stage. Track 2 provides the main melody, also coming from instruo csl, pretty basic stage/gate setup there. I feel like I’m hardly using the module, it’s providing so much information over just one and a half tracks really. Superb.

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:42 pm

MossGarden wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
Thanks, track 1 is sequencing the wavetable chords from braids + instruo CsL as a sub bass on cva, cvb is going to rings with gate b ratcheting with probability settings in order to get more gate variation from the stage. Track 2 provides the main melody, also coming from instruo csl, pretty basic stage/gate setup there. I feel like I’m hardly using the module, it’s providing so much information over just one and a half tracks really. Superb.
Moss, do you write soundtracks? That piece sounds like it could score a film I'd like to see on basis of the music alone. It's just as addictive as "Stranger Things."

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:58 am

JM Midnight wrote:
MossGarden wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
Moss, do you write soundtracks? That piece sounds like it could score a film I'd like to see on basis of the music alone. It's just as addictive as "Stranger Things."
Thats awfully kind, thank you. Yes, i’ve done a bit of scoring before for a couple of BBC documentaries, just a few little ambient pieces. It’s the sort of work I’d like to do more of. :bananaguitar:

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:24 am

is it doable to have some kind of randomize function? for example on the stillson hammer mk2 you can randomize pitch and gate values to instanlty create new sequences.

or something similiar to the "math" function on the er-101?

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:45 am

BrokenBo wrote:is it doable to have some kind of randomize function? for example on the stillson hammer mk2 you can randomize pitch and gate values to instanlty create new sequences.

If you set all notes to c3, then maximise both green and blue CV layers across all stages, you basically have a randomised melody maker

simonefabbri
Common Wiggler

Post by simonefabbri » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:33 am

egon77 wrote: Btw, (for Simone) I had one more tiny feature request that I think would be helpful. In Composition mode, it would be great if, when you turn the Navigation encoder, you could see the note/voltage info update on the display for each stage. At the moment, the display remains blank until you turn the stage encoder which can sometimes be confusing because you're not sure if you've incremented it or just refreshed it. Does that make sense?
I'll keep note of this and check it if possible, that would be very helpful I totally agree!!!
Thanks for the feedback!!!

captainclams
Learning to Wiggle

Post by captainclams » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:53 am

I have been looking forward to Usta since its unveiling and finally had a chance to sit down with it this past weekend. Until now I've never really found a sequencer that has been so easy to program complex sequences easily in a way that I can only describe as very "playable."

Still feels like I'm only scratching the surface, but some of my favorite things have been creating out-of-phase sequences (so the different tracks have different "lengths", via stage length). From there, having these different out-of-phase tracks modulate each other's voices leads to wonderful shifting sequences.

Also, using one track's CV out to "build" LFOs that are synced to the clock. It reminds me a bit of Stages where you can define slew between CVs values. Store a different LFO shape in each pattern and you can swap between them in performance mode. Run this threw a slew limiter to take off the hard edges and voila.

Here's a few snippets from the weekend jams, all recorded live with just modular (270hp https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/m ... 1572266877) and some reverb from a Dreadox Hypnosis. Usta is controlling "all the things," more or less.

https://soundcloud.com/consolations/ups ... tification

https://soundcloud.com/consolations/dispirited-redoubt

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm

BrokenBo wrote:is it doable to have some kind of randomize function? for example on the stillson hammer mk2 you can randomize pitch and gate values to instanlty create new sequences.

I thought it did randomize. That's a favorite feature of the SHmk2.
THUMPR BC SC

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:41 am

I was under the impression it was able to randomize note values, gates, ratchets, etc...

From the manual:

The green layer is accessed by pressing the channel button a second
time: it controls the probability that USTA will shift the red value up or
down in a given bipolar range (see below, Blue CV Layer).
By default the knobs are at 0 (with no LEDs surrounding them): this
means that there is no chance that the note (or voltage) will change, so
USTA will stick to the value assigned in the red layer.
By turning the knobs clockwise you increase the chance that the
note will be replaced with another one, picked by a pool of values
whose range is defined by the blue layer (see Blue CV Layer). In this
mode, USTA tosses a coin at every stage with an index bigger than 0
and decides whether the stage will pick the defined value or shift it,
according to the variation index.
When 8 LEDs out of 16 are lit up, the chances are 50-50: the probability that the defined value will be played or not are the same. When all
the 16 LEDs are lit, it is certain that another note or value will be evaluated.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:01 am

yes you can randomize a current sequence. on the usta it means that it will then play a variation of the sequence you originally programmed. but it will randomize / play a variation every time it comes to the stages that have variation enabled.

but what i suggested it to randomize pitch and gate values (maybe even length) with one button combination to generate a completely new sequence instantly similiar to the possibilites with the stillson hammer or the math function on the er-101.

this could be a fine feature, especially for live performance.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 pm

Yes, by randomize I felt in the same vein as the SHmk2 where you could have a blank sequence and push a combo and then you'd have a sequence with all parameters randomized.
THUMPR BC SC

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:47 pm

So i'm suffering from an "out of brain-juice" sort of moment here, but i'm a bit confused by the 4*4 nature of the tracks. So there are 4 tracks, each with 2 CV and 2 gates, right? So in a meta-sense, how many 'voices' can I simultaneously control at any given moment? Like if I wanted to sequence a 'lead' VCO, a 'bass' VCO, a 'pad' VCO, a bass drum module, a snare module, and a hat module, am I good or am I in trouble? I'm just trying to figure out whether the 4*4 means you can be sequencing/sending out 2, 4 or 8 CVs and 2, 4, or 8 Gates at any given moment.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:19 pm

AbundantChoice wrote:So i'm suffering from an "out of brain-juice" sort of moment here, but i'm a bit confused by the 4*4 nature of the tracks. So there are 4 tracks, each with 2 CV and 2 gates, right? So in a meta-sense, how many 'voices' can I simultaneously control at any given moment? Like if I wanted to sequence a 'lead' VCO, a 'bass' VCO, a 'pad' VCO, a bass drum module, a snare module, and a hat module, am I good or am I in trouble? I'm just trying to figure out whether the 4*4 means you can be sequencing/sending out 2, 4 or 8 CVs and 2, 4, or 8 Gates at any given moment.
8 voices total are possible

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 am

AbundantChoice wrote:So i'm suffering from an "out of brain-juice" sort of moment here, but i'm a bit confused by the 4*4 nature of the tracks. So there are 4 tracks, each with 2 CV and 2 gates, right? So in a meta-sense, how many 'voices' can I simultaneously control at any given moment? Like if I wanted to sequence a 'lead' VCO, a 'bass' VCO, a 'pad' VCO, a bass drum module, a snare module, and a hat module, am I good or am I in trouble? I'm just trying to figure out whether the 4*4 means you can be sequencing/sending out 2, 4 or 8 CVs and 2, 4, or 8 Gates at any given moment.
You can, with some limitations.

Each track has a single track length, and stage length for each stage within that length. For example, if you set the track length to 8 stages, and have stages 1 and 4 set to 2 clock pulses, and the rest to a single clock pulse, you will be limited to that length and stage rhythm for all CV and Gate channels for that track.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”