Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Johnnyfive
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Johnnyfive » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:05 pm

pinMode wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:29 am
Right now in the workshop we’re building modules flat-out to meet demand, but continual work on the Lubadh will be ongoing. As I type, a new method of dynamically adaptive crossfading is being worked on behind me! The goal is a method that will not only remove any of the clicks which can occur when scrubbing through the audio but may also allow some degree of control over the transitions so you can select the crossfade to suit the characteristics of the audio you happen to be working with.
There should be a first firmware update coming very soon. I’ve no doubt there will be many more exciting changes and improvements to come over time, we’ve been bouncing ideas around the workshop and with our beta testers. But with the module out in the wild now there are going to be suggestions and ways of working that I haven’t even considered!
We follow threads and discussions and are very much listening ;)
got mine yesterday and had a quick play - really really like it, exactly what I was after! looping is at the centre of my setup and i think this will be a really good step up from the DLD (for my needs anyway). very intuitive to use and the sound is really good. seems unfair to hit you with suggestions for additional features already, but one thought I had - it would be really nice to have a setting where the erase button will just remove the most recently recorded loop (like some guitar loop pedals have), and perhaps a longer press would erase the whole reel. not sure if it's possible (it would require an extra step of storage, if that makes sense), but would be really useful for my needs at least. having said that, in it's current state it's already great.

a note on clicking noises when modulating the start time - one thing that reduces clicking is to use stepped modulation (e.g. an lfo through a sample and hold).

obakegaku
Learning to Wiggle

Post by obakegaku » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:22 am

Recorded on my phone, but here's some tweaking from last night :cloud:

Innerself2007
Common Wiggler

Post by Innerself2007 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:44 am

The nice people from Instruo reached out to me about the bleed and noise issue I was getting from the aux output that I mentioned earlier in this thread and it looks like it might just be a calibration issue. Here is what Jason said
"It sounds like the outer range of the x-fader might need tweaked slightly.
The circuit implements a log curve to approximate equal power panning/fading. If the calibration is right on the border it can cause what I believe you are describing."

I will keep you all informed of the outcome but it sounds like it would be an easy fix. Top notch customer service from Instruo! :hail:

Innerself2007
Common Wiggler

Post by Innerself2007 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 am

Just to update everyone on the issue I was having with the Aux output, concerning noise and bleed. Jason reached out to me from Instruo with a fix just in case anyone runs into this.
There is a Bias trimmer on the back of the module that defines the cross points of the aux fader. I adjusted this trimmer and all my issues were resolved.
Again, excellent customer support. Jason is very responsive with quick answers to any questions you might have.
Really loving this module. I'm surprised this thread is as dead as it is. I also find that this is a great companion to the Arbar as well. Totally experimental city!

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Innerself2007 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 am
Just to update everyone on the issue I was having with the Aux output, concerning noise and bleed. Jason reached out to me from Instruo with a fix just in case anyone runs into this.
There is a Bias trimmer on the back of the module that defines the cross points of the aux fader. I adjusted this trimmer and all my issues were resolved.
Again, excellent customer support. Jason is very responsive with quick answers to any questions you might have.
Really loving this module. I'm surprised this thread is as dead as it is. I also find that this is a great companion to the Arbar as well. Totally experimental city!
I don't think too many are out in the wild.

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:01 pm

I caught one! :party:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gcheliotis
Common Wiggler

Post by gcheliotis » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:47 pm

I'm also hoping to see more discussion here as more units make it into people's hands. I think arbhar was released first and has garnered some attention, so it's possible it will overshadow lubadh somewhat... hope not, they're very different, but they're both samplers, so perhaps not the best move to release them so close to each other. Jason must be swamped with work between these two.

I'm personally more interested in the lubadh so far, the concept and interface speak to me more. Would love to see a comparison to the 4ms STS, which in my mind is the closest existing module in the market. I'm personally a little torn between the two. STS seems to lend itself more readily to timed one-shots and looks deceptively simple, but can cover some lubadh territory as well imo. I still need to wrap my head around some of lubadh's functions though... haven't quite understood what clk out is (is it end-of-cycle plus user-defined subdivisions?) and what it's useful for, or the aux in/out plus faders. I get what they do I think, talking more about musical applications.

Also hoping Jason will be able to provide options on the windowing with a firmware update. I would like to have the option to have anything from gaussian to trapezoidal smoothing in the module, depending on the material I'm using and what I'm using it for.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:55 pm

that clock out with divisions/mults is usefull to clock other stuff if you have I nice loop going. maybe beats or whatever.
I can imagine I will use that a lot
I'm sooo waiting on my lubadh but till it arrives I'll play with arbhar :sb:

ether
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ether » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:26 am

Man, the waiting for mine is killing me. :zombie:

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:19 am

fjoesz wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:55 pm
that clock out with divisions/mults is usefull to clock other stuff if you have I nice loop going. maybe beats or whatever.
I can imagine I will use that a lot
I'm sooo waiting on my lubadh but till it arrives I'll play with arbhar :sb:
Yes, I can confirm that the clock out works perfectly for syncing up a sequencer! :party:
The gate out on Arbhar also works great for this as well...

Johnnyfive
Common Wiggler

Post by Johnnyfive » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 am

gcheliotis wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:47 pm
I'm also hoping to see more discussion here as more units make it into people's hands.
thought i'd write up some impressions on the Lubadh. i've had it a few weeks now - haven't had loads of opportunity to play with it, but enough to have some thoughts. I use it as a pretty straight two channel looper for guitar, using footwsitches through a doepfer a-177-2 to turn record on and off. There’s no full manual out so there are some things I’m still unclear about, but generally it’s very hands on and easy to get started. This turned into a bit of an essay - apologies, but hopefully it’s useful given the lack of feedback out there around the module.

Interface:
Really great. The visual feedback of the loop (length, start, current location) is really useful, as well as looking great. Knobs feel good, and cv over everything is obv a plus. At first I though the capacitive touch plate was a little gimmicky, but it is quite nice for adding an interactive tactile element. The cv inputs for record work as expected with my footswitch setup.

Sound:
I know Instruo mentioned that the audio path is designed to be quite warm and saturate like a tape machine. It sounds really good - I haven't tried backing it off to get a super clean sound, and I’m curious to try this as the way I currently have it set up does colour the sound a bit (in a way I like, which is why I haven't tried to clean it up). Haven't listened critically to level of noise/hiss (this isn't an issue for me, as i tend to add it anyway), so can't comment there.

In use:
People have mentioned the issues around modulating the start time. To me, I'd expect it to sound odd if you're modulating the loop start with continuous cv. I've been sending stepped modulation to start (from a turing machine) and it works well (you will get the odd pop and click, but again that’s what I’d expect). Still getting to grips with the aux controls - as someone mentioned above, I understand what they do, but haven't worked out how I'd use them in a musical context yet. The delay mode sounds good, but I don't seem to be able to modulate the time for the delay mode (to get pitch effects). Could well be that I'm doing something wrong, but would be good to see the manual on this, or hear other people's experiences. I really like the fact that it saves the loops on power down and reloads them on startup, and it will be good to learn more about what the usb stick in the back does (is it like Morphagene SD card where you can load loops or transfer them to computer?). I had a quick play with the clock out, and it works as expected - should be handy for syncing other things up, or as an additional trigger source.

Compared to similar modules:
I previously used a 4MS DLD as my main looper (worth noting that obviously DLD does things that Lubadh can’t, and DLD is not explicitly designed as a looper, so I’m not knocking the DLD - I’ve even kept mine for now as it’s still great for delay stuff). For me, the Lubadh is much easier to use in pretty much every way. Ability to do one shot playback is great, and it’s much easier to change loop length and start time. Compared to the DLD, the visual feedback of the Lubadh really stands out. Ability to change pitch is obviously something that DLD doesn’t offer. Only thing I miss from DLD is the ability to toggle reverse with a gate - I need to explore to see if you can get something similar by sending a carefully tuned negative cv to the speed input (but I suspect it will slew through the speed, not sure!).

I also have a morphagene, which I’ve never really gelled with. The main thing I liked it for was pitch shifting and randomly modulating the slide, so that you can start playback at different bits of the loop. Lubadh does both of these things, so I’ll be getting rid of the morphagene. Lubadh doesn’t have anything like the morph control, but running one side into the other in delay mode should achieve something similar (until you get to high morph values)? Equally, Lubadh doesn’t have anything like the splice function in morphagene, but sequencing start time and length simultaneously will get you some of the way there. Definitely fair to say that I don't use morphagene to its full potential and as with the DLD I'm definitely not knocking it - it's a great module and people do amazing things with it, but I think the similarities between Lubadh and morphagene are worth pointing out (they're both based on tape machines, after all).

The other (final, I promise!) thing to say is that I was super impressed by all the little details not directly connected to the module - packaging was really nice, and providing screws in both black and gold (and with washers) was a really thoughtful touch.

So tl;dr is that I really like the Lubadh - people have been comparing Arbhar to Morphagene, but for my needs Lubadh and Morphagene is a more direct comparison. As a dual channel Eurorack looper, Lubadh is much more hands-on and intuitive than the DLD, and has more character to the sound. It definitely makes me want to buy more stuff from Instruo - partly based on my experience with the Lubadh, I’m planning to fill the gap where my Morphagene was with an Arbhar.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:43 pm

thanks for taking your time and give some feedback to us. Not much info's out there...

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:08 pm

Johnnyfive wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 am
gcheliotis wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:47 pm
I'm also hoping to see more discussion here as more units make it into people's hands.
thought i'd write up some impressions on the Lubadh. i've had it a few weeks now - haven't had loads of opportunity to play with it, but enough to have some thoughts. I use it as a pretty straight two channel looper for guitar, using footwsitches through a doepfer a-177-2 to turn record on and off. There’s no full manual out so there are some things I’m still unclear about, but generally it’s very hands on and easy to get started. This turned into a bit of an essay - apologies, but hopefully it’s useful given the lack of feedback out there around the module.

Interface:
Really great. The visual feedback of the loop (length, start, current location) is really useful, as well as looking great. Knobs feel good, and cv over everything is obv a plus. At first I though the capacitive touch plate was a little gimmicky, but it is quite nice for adding an interactive tactile element. The cv inputs for record work as expected with my footswitch setup.

Sound:
I know Instruo mentioned that the audio path is designed to be quite warm and saturate like a tape machine. It sounds really good - I haven't tried backing it off to get a super clean sound, and I’m curious to try this as the way I currently have it set up does colour the sound a bit (in a way I like, which is why I haven't tried to clean it up). Haven't listened critically to level of noise/hiss (this isn't an issue for me, as i tend to add it anyway), so can't comment there.

In use:
People have mentioned the issues around modulating the start time. To me, I'd expect it to sound odd if you're modulating the loop start with continuous cv. I've been sending stepped modulation to start (from a turing machine) and it works well (you will get the odd pop and click, but again that’s what I’d expect). Still getting to grips with the aux controls - as someone mentioned above, I understand what they do, but haven't worked out how I'd use them in a musical context yet. The delay mode sounds good, but I don't seem to be able to modulate the time for the delay mode (to get pitch effects). Could well be that I'm doing something wrong, but would be good to see the manual on this, or hear other people's experiences. I really like the fact that it saves the loops on power down and reloads them on startup, and it will be good to learn more about what the usb stick in the back does (is it like Morphagene SD card where you can load loops or transfer them to computer?). I had a quick play with the clock out, and it works as expected - should be handy for syncing other things up, or as an additional trigger source.

Compared to similar modules:
I previously used a 4MS DLD as my main looper (worth noting that obviously DLD does things that Lubadh can’t, and DLD is not explicitly designed as a looper, so I’m not knocking the DLD - I’ve even kept mine for now as it’s still great for delay stuff). For me, the Lubadh is much easier to use in pretty much every way. Ability to do one shot playback is great, and it’s much easier to change loop length and start time. Compared to the DLD, the visual feedback of the Lubadh really stands out. Ability to change pitch is obviously something that DLD doesn’t offer. Only thing I miss from DLD is the ability to toggle reverse with a gate - I need to explore to see if you can get something similar by sending a carefully tuned negative cv to the speed input (but I suspect it will slew through the speed, not sure!).

I also have a morphagene, which I’ve never really gelled with. The main thing I liked it for was pitch shifting and randomly modulating the slide, so that you can start playback at different bits of the loop. Lubadh does both of these things, so I’ll be getting rid of the morphagene. Lubadh doesn’t have anything like the morph control, but running one side into the other in delay mode should achieve something similar (until you get to high morph values)? Equally, Lubadh doesn’t have anything like the splice function in morphagene, but sequencing start time and length simultaneously will get you some of the way there. Definitely fair to say that I don't use morphagene to its full potential and as with the DLD I'm definitely not knocking it - it's a great module and people do amazing things with it, but I think the similarities between Lubadh and morphagene are worth pointing out (they're both based on tape machines, after all).

The other (final, I promise!) thing to say is that I was super impressed by all the little details not directly connected to the module - packaging was really nice, and providing screws in both black and gold (and with washers) was a really thoughtful touch.

So tl;dr is that I really like the Lubadh - people have been comparing Arbhar to Morphagene, but for my needs Lubadh and Morphagene is a more direct comparison. As a dual channel Eurorack looper, Lubadh is much more hands-on and intuitive than the DLD, and has more character to the sound. It definitely makes me want to buy more stuff from Instruo - partly based on my experience with the Lubadh, I’m planning to fill the gap where my Morphagene was with an Arbhar.
Thanks for the review.

One question though, how vital do you think the 2hp expander is with this module?

cyclyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cyclyk » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:14 am

Vital is a strong word but the expander (which comes with Lubadh) is a really great addition since you find on it "lenght" and "start" CV...

Other than that, pretty agree with the above review. I have encountered, one or two odd things but waiting for a complete manual to really understand all this complexe module. Visual feedback is a dream for me since I started making music with tapes, long time ago, love it! Great module Intruo and a very good friend with Arbarh! Great work!

Johnnyfive
Common Wiggler

Post by Johnnyfive » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:00 am

gringostar wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:08 pm
One question though, how vital do you think the 2hp expander is with this module?
I'd say pretty vital if you want to start modulating things. modulating start and length is where a lot of the interesting things happen - without the expander, you can only really modulate speed (and the aux sliders). i think the reason it's a separate expander isn't because it's designed to be optional, but more because Instruo wanted to give people flexibility in terms of which side of the main module they rack it. having said that, I assume that Lubadh will still work without the expander, but it would seem a waste to not use it considering it's included in the price and only takes up 2hp.

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:36 pm

“I need to explore to see if you can get something similar by sending a carefully tuned negative cv to the speed input (but I suspect it will slew through the speed, not sure!).”

The blue lead going into pitch cv is manually controlled by antumbra fade. I can’t remember what I did before the fade module but the basic pitch is being controlled start/stop/reverse using the fader.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:54 am

just arrived, now my arbhar lubadh dual awesomeness is complete! :sb:

I do think we need an update for the clickyness, especially when modulating start time

doesn't feel as smooth as the arbhar. don't get me wrong, having a LOT of fun, but without the clicks it would be interstellar

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 am

actually with cleaner sources or waveforms it's really messy with the clicks :confused:

I've read this imn this thread, but Is there any news on it?

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Can anyone comment on the depth of this module? I'd love to see a side/back view of the module if possible as well.
I'm trying to see if it can fit in an Erica synths Pico Case. I have a Mannequins W/ in a pico case right now (which only fits in certain sections of the case) and I'm trying to see if I could squeeze this looper in as well.

*** Actually, there's a video online that has both ludbah and arbhar in what appears to be the pico case.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:01 am

Modular grid says its 42 mm deep

cyclyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cyclyk » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:05 am

plainjanefrancis wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Can anyone comment on the depth of this module? I'd love to see a side/back view of the module if possible as well.
I'm trying to see if it can fit in an Erica synths Pico Case. I have a Mannequins W/ in a pico case right now (which only fits in certain sections of the case) and I'm trying to see if I could squeeze this looper in as well.

*** Actually, there's a video online that has both ludbah and arbhar in what appears to be the pico case.

I have mine in an intellijel palette case and it is just ok (no space left). If the Pico is less depth, it will be hmm.... I think the module is 42 mm.

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:24 pm

cyclyk wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:05 am
plainjanefrancis wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:48 pm

I have mine in an intellijel palette case and it is just ok (no space left). If the Pico is less depth, it will be hmm.... I think the module is 42 mm.

Perfect, the pico case actually has more depth than the palette but just in certain areas within the case. So it just depends on where the module lines up with the bus board.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:53 am

in the quick start guide there's mention of touch plate sensitivity trimmer screws
does anyone know which screws on the back are for the touchplate sensitivity?

stujay18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stujay18 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 am

Aaaaaaand thanks for nothing, folks, just ordered mine from control voltage. Will report back once (a) my Arbhar arrives from Detroit Modular, and (b) I can get these puppies side-by-side in my rack.

I was a Morphagene-returner. Found the file system/UI too frustrating. Though yes, people do accomplish amazing things with that module. Just wasn’t for me.

Ray Finkle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ray Finkle » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:12 am

fjoesz wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:53 am
in the quick start guide there's mention of touch plate sensitivity trimmer screws
does anyone know which screws on the back are for the touchplate sensitivity?
its on the front of the plate, on the bottom right of loop 2s length knob between its input knob. little gold thang.

just nicked this from someone's photo upthread
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”