Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by cackland » Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:43 pm
I'm very disappointed in this module so far for the following reasons.

1.) Erase button doesn't always work. I sometimes have to press multiple times to enable.
2.) Second channel will randomly slow down to standstill for no reason and with nothing touching capacitive face plate.
3.) Sometimes audio will remain in buffer after erase.

Has anyone with this module experienced any of these issues? For such an expensive module, I'm really let down :/
I'm assuming you've reached out to Jason prior to expressing your disappointment here? Sounds like those kinds of things can easily be fixed.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Wed May 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Pretty sure the erase function is a double press of the erase button - is that not working for you?

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler

Post by James_Fredrickson » Wed May 06, 2020 8:27 pm

The erase works sometimes. Unfortunately the random slow downs (now both channels) render the unit unusable. I tried flashing the latest firmware twice. I also tried switching off the capacitive faceplate to no avail. I think I got a lemon. However, it seems like some other wigglers couldn't get the loops to sync. I didn't get that far but if this is true, I don't really see the point of having a looper that doesn't, uh.. loop.

Thank you for the reply.

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler

Post by James_Fredrickson » Wed May 06, 2020 8:31 pm

cackland wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm
James_Fredrickson wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:43 pm
I'm very disappointed in this module so far for the following reasons.

1.) Erase button doesn't always work. I sometimes have to press multiple times to enable.
2.) Second channel will randomly slow down to standstill for no reason and with nothing touching capacitive face plate.
3.) Sometimes audio will remain in buffer after erase.

Has anyone with this module experienced any of these issues? For such an expensive module, I'm really let down :/
I'm assuming you've reached out to Jason prior to expressing your disappointment here? Sounds like those kinds of things can easily be fixed.
I've sent an email through the Instruo website, thank you! Just waiting for a reply. I'll likely just exchange or return the module from the shop I purchased it from.

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler

Post by James_Fredrickson » Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Quick update to faulty module:

Jason has responded to email and confirmed faulty module.
Phenomenal customer service from Jason. He was very professional and understanding.

I hope everyone enjoys their Lubadh and makes awesome sounds with it.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Thu May 07, 2020 3:32 pm

1.) Erase button doesn't always work.

I hade the same issue at the beginning. However, I found by releasing the buttom quick enough will do the trick. ( I guess this could be adjusted with software)

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Fri May 08, 2020 7:00 am

Just came across your messages here, there'd be the complete Lubadh manual out any day now, but in the meantime here's a quick note on the erase button:

The erase button can be used as a shift button (for punch in record). Therefore there is a timer on the button so a quick press will erase, but holding it for a little longer is protected to prevent accidental erasing when performing punched in recordings.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 am

My Lubadh is responding not only by the touch capacitive faceplate but as well by touching the speed pots or when a cable touching the pots. (I turned the adjustment screw all the way CCW). Probably will switch it off as it is difficult to adjust the speed then : )

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Fri May 08, 2020 8:58 am

Ray Finkle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ray Finkle » Fri May 08, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks for the heads up on the manual 😀

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Fri May 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi!

Is there a mode to play the Lubadh as you would do with Mimeophon in "synth mode"? I guess it would need a microrate input as well, right?
I'm pondering which one would be more interesting and this aspect may tilt the balance.

obakegaku
Learning to Wiggle

Post by obakegaku » Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Hey Lubers, my new album Halation released today. 10 tracks all with the Instruō Lúbadh at its core. I’ll leave the Spotify link here, but it’s also on YouTube, iTunes etc too. Enjoy!

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Wed May 13, 2020 11:10 am

hirnlego wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:41 pm
Hi!

Is there a mode to play the Lubadh as you would do with Mimeophon in "synth mode"? I guess it would need a microrate input as well, right?
I'm pondering which one would be more interesting and this aspect may tilt the balance.
That or there would need to be a mode that makes the speed CV V/oct.

I've got both. I use the Mimeophone for delay...never occurred to me to use it as a looper but for clocked stuff it could be good at that in the higher zones. Gotta give that a try.

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Wed May 13, 2020 11:12 am

The clock output seems to recalculate when 'start' is adjusted. It would be great if it stayed steady if the 'length' stayed the same so you could sweep the start point but maintain steady clock out. Maybe I'm missing something?

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Fri May 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Ive had This looper for about a week. Its beautiful a work of art really. I went thinking that it would do something which it didnt (thats on me) but i feel like maybe it could do that particular thing with a hefty firmware update.

I had the peculiar notion that you could save several loops on a reel and flip between them (like the tape on OP-1) but that is not possible. Since we already have two modes one shot and trigger, maybe a tape mode could be added?

Basically we have 9 minutes of tape to record to (on each reel?) so recording a 1 minute loop will leave you with 8 minutes. When the Lubadh plays it plays the loop you recorded, if you record again it will overdub that 1 minute loop. Pressing erase + record will make a new loop after the 1 minute loop, this loop is 30 second (so now you have 7 minutes and 30 seconds of tape left to record). If you want to switch back to the first loop, you use the start knob. I would love a feature like this and I personally feel like it is within reach.

Imo this would make Lubadh a super cool module, create a drum track with different Beats on one reel and a synth riffs on the other, flip between them for some variation.

Not sure how to solve clock though.

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler

Post by James_Fredrickson » Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm

pelang wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 am

My Lubadh is responding not only by the touch capacitive faceplate but as well by touching the speed pots or when a cable touching the pots. (I turned the adjustment screw all the way CCW). Probably will switch it off as it is difficult to adjust the speed then : )
Have you had any success in turning off the capacitive faceplate? I just got my replacement and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I switched off the plate and yet it still responds to touch!?

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Sat May 16, 2020 4:38 am

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm
pelang wrote:

Have you had any success in turning off the capacitive faceplate? I just got my replacement and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I switched off the plate and yet it still responds to touch!?
no, not yet. But keep in mind the switch is not on the side but on the bottom.

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler

Post by James_Fredrickson » Sat May 16, 2020 11:31 am

pelang wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:38 am
James_Fredrickson wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm
pelang wrote:

no, not yet. But keep in mind the switch is not on the side but on the bottom.
Yes, that's the switch for the capacitive faceplate

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Johnnyfive » Sat May 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Michaalhell wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:37 pm
Ive had This looper for about a week. Its beautiful a work of art really. I went thinking that it would do something which it didnt (thats on me) but i feel like maybe it could do that particular thing with a hefty firmware update.

I had the peculiar notion that you could save several loops on a reel and flip between them (like the tape on OP-1) but that is not possible. Since we already have two modes one shot and trigger, maybe a tape mode could be added?

Basically we have 9 minutes of tape to record to (on each reel?) so recording a 1 minute loop will leave you with 8 minutes. When the Lubadh plays it plays the loop you recorded, if you record again it will overdub that 1 minute loop. Pressing erase + record will make a new loop after the 1 minute loop, this loop is 30 second (so now you have 7 minutes and 30 seconds of tape left to record). If you want to switch back to the first loop, you use the start knob. I would love a feature like this and I personally feel like it is within reach.

Imo this would make Lubadh a super cool module, create a drum track with different Beats on one reel and a synth riffs on the other, flip between them for some variation.

Not sure how to solve clock though.
sounds like you just described the Morphagene! (although you'd need two to achieve what you described)

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler

Post by James_Fredrickson » Sat May 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Faulty module SOLVED. If anyone else cannot get the capacitive faceplate to turn off follow these instructions given to me by Jason:
1.) Capture something to a buffer.
2.) Play it back at audible speed.
3.) Stall it with the cap touch.
4.) Change switch position to off and the speed should pick back up to defined pot speed position and cap touch should no longer function.

This procedure worked for me thanks to Jason.

Cheers

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Sun May 17, 2020 3:07 am

Did you get any solution on distortion when aux fader in the middle?

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Sun May 17, 2020 6:38 am

macio wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:07 am
Did you get any solution on distortion when aux fader in the middle?
no. It doesn't really matter where the fader is. The aux input "distorts" the signal minimal. It's more dominant on sinus, bells, ebow sounds and using good headphones for listening. Using the regular inputs, the signal is nicely colored but different from the aux. It depends as well on the input settings, frequency and the strength of the signal.
I hope the first unit I had is back by Instruo (I replaced it with my shop) so they can have a look what's wrong with it.
My replacement is doing the same thing but much less dominant which is good.
For supercritical stuff, I use a matrix mixer as a workaround. The Looper is not perfect, but I do like that thing a lot ! I made up my mind and accept it as it's character. Overall very happy with this looper.

mgoodson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgoodson » Sun May 17, 2020 2:48 pm

obakegaku wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm
Hey Lubers, my new album Halation released today. 10 tracks all with the Instruō Lúbadh at its core. I’ll leave the Spotify link here, but it’s also on YouTube, iTunes etc too. Enjoy!

nice! what was your process like? i just ordered one.

mgoodson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgoodson » Sun May 17, 2020 2:52 pm

i'm curious if you can get a tape-loop-like texture out of this if you continually overdub?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm

I just got my Lubadh installed and I'm halfway through the manual. I really enjoy the fact that so far the module is almost 100% self-explanatory and intuitive for basic operation. So far, very nice!

But now I'm trying to use the Capacitive Tape Reel. And my first impression was, it must be disabled by default. But it's enabled by default, mine also. Problem is, there's not much happening here when touching the plate in a normal way. When I keep pressing rather intense, the playhead eventually starts to slow down and finally stops after like 10 seconds. Upon release there is a delay of about 2 seconds until the deck starts playing again. And, sometimes when I slow down the speed and then release, it keeps slowing down for like 2 seconds before speeding up again - rather not what I would expect.

I tried to increase the sensivity and gave it 4 full turns cw in the end, but the behaviour didn't seem to change at all. I wonder how many turns this trim pot allows. Could someone maybe compare this with his module?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”