Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1288
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:22 am
Location: DC

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Hovercraft » Mon May 18, 2020 2:02 pm

dbeats wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm
I just got my Lubadh installed and I'm halfway through the manual. I really enjoy the fact that so far the module is almost 100% self-explanatory and intuitive for basic operation. So far, very nice!

But now I'm trying to use the Capacitive Tape Reel. And my first impression was, it must be disabled by default. But it's enabled by default, mine also. Problem is, there's not much happening here when touching the plate in a normal way. When I keep pressing rather intense, the playhead eventually starts to slow down and finally stops after like 10 seconds. Upon release there is a delay of about 2 seconds until the deck starts playing again. And, sometimes when I slow down the speed and then release, it keeps slowing down for like 2 seconds before speeding up again - rather not what I would expect.

I tried to increase the sensivity and gave it 4 full turns cw in the end, but the behaviour didn't seem to change at all. I wonder how many turns this trim pot allows. Could someone maybe compare this with his module?
My Lubadh reels respond immediately to a firm (but not intense) touch, and immediately begin speeding up after removing my finger. It sounds like the slew on yours is set much too high. Hopefully there's a trimmer to adjust, but I'm sure Jason will straighten you out.

pelang
Common Wiggler
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:30 pm
Location: switzerland
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by pelang » Mon May 18, 2020 2:31 pm

dbeats wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm
I tried to increase the sensivity and gave it 4 full turns cw in the end, but the behaviour didn't seem to change at all. I wonder how many turns this trim pot allows. Could someone maybe compare this with his module?
its a multiturn trimmer...you can go much higher....you hear a "click" when you reach the end

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by James_Fredrickson » Mon May 18, 2020 2:32 pm

dbeats wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm
I just got my Lubadh installed and I'm halfway through the manual. I really enjoy the fact that so far the module is almost 100% self-explanatory and intuitive for basic operation. So far, very nice!

But now I'm trying to use the Capacitive Tape Reel. And my first impression was, it must be disabled by default. But it's enabled by default, mine also. Problem is, there's not much happening here when touching the plate in a normal way. When I keep pressing rather intense, the playhead eventually starts to slow down and finally stops after like 10 seconds. Upon release there is a delay of about 2 seconds until the deck starts playing again. And, sometimes when I slow down the speed and then release, it keeps slowing down for like 2 seconds before speeding up again - rather not what I would expect.

I tried to increase the sensivity and gave it 4 full turns cw in the end, but the behaviour didn't seem to change at all. I wonder how many turns this trim pot allows. Could someone maybe compare this with his module?
Adjusting the trimmer ccw will decrease sensistivity.
Temp, humidity, and if the module is screwed in too tightly can all affect the performance of the touchplate.

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by dbeats » Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm

Thanks for all those fast and helpful replies!

I carefully turned the trimmer all the way cw, dunno, 10+ full turns or so, until I heard that little "click". Problem is, nothing seems to have changed. But I just watched the official 2h video from minute 35 on, and the behaviour in the demo looks quite similar to mine, quite unresponsive and slew. So in the end, maybe it's a feature and not a bug? I come from a Vestax VCI world, maybe I had totally wrong expectations :)

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by James_Fredrickson » Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm

dbeats wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Thanks for all those fast and helpful replies!

I carefully turned the trimmer all the way cw, dunno, 10+ full turns or so, until I heard that little "click". Problem is, nothing seems to have changed. But I just watched the official 2h video from minute 35 on, and the behaviour in the demo looks quite similar to mine, quite unresponsive and slew. So in the end, maybe it's a feature and not a bug? I come from a Vestax VCI world, maybe I had totally wrong expectations :)
Turn Counterclockwise if you want to decrease sensitivity.

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by dbeats » Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 am

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm
Turn Counterclockwise if you want to decrease sensitivity.
Thanks for pointing out again. However, I surely wanted to increase sensivity. My English is not perfect, maybe there is a misunderstanding.

Anyway, this touch plate feature is probably the least important for me, I didn't even know about when buying the module. The way it actually works for me I could as well disable it and leave it unused. Nonetheless, thanks for all your help!

User avatar
rd45
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:21 am

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by rd45 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:41 am

Sharing a quick sketch that I made on Lúbadh last night...



The arpeggiated beat is from Moog Model 15 emulator on my phone, I laid that down first then dubbed over it a couple of times from the other reel. Voice sample comes from a radio programme last night on BBC R3 about Noh theatre.

The levels are too low - sorry about that, it's my fault. There's also some noise, and I don't know yet if that's my fault. The module lends itself very easily to a low-fi / saturated / tape-decay aesthetic, which I happen to like.

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by James_Fredrickson » Tue May 19, 2020 12:31 pm

dbeats wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 am
James_Fredrickson wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm
Turn Counterclockwise if you want to decrease sensitivity.
Thanks for pointing out again. However, I surely wanted to increase sensivity. My English is not perfect, maybe there is a misunderstanding.

Anyway, this touch plate feature is probably the least important for me, I didn't even know about when buying the module. The way it actually works for me I could as well disable it and leave it unused. Nonetheless, thanks for all your help!
Apparently your English is better than mine! You're right, I'm wrong. I somehow misread your comments, my bad :doh:

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by James_Fredrickson » Tue May 19, 2020 5:01 pm



The Lubadh can make super CREAMY all analog delays. Here I'm running the Impulse Command through the Lubadh acting as a delay line with cv control over delay time, feedback, and wet/dry balance.

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by dbeats » Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am

Among my first baby steps with the Lubadh is the attempt to record a simple short precise loop on one recorder, just 4 seconds or 8 simple bars at 120 bpm. I tried this with both trigger methods Latching & Momentary, using Metron or Trigger Riot for clocking and an oscilloscope for visual approval. Both methods lead to the same exact result: a short loop that seems to be about 25ms longer or slower than the original 8 bar content when played at original 1x speed. So after 4 loops without retriggering (=16 seconds) the loop is about 100ms out of sync. Moreover, when retriggering, when I use the CLK OUT with timing 8, for example, I can see and hear that the generated clocks more and more lag behind my system clock. Only the very first clock out, at the beginning of the loop immediately when retriggering, is in sync with my system clock.

What do you think, is this normal? Is it a calibration issue maybe? Or is this the normal tolerance for a modular looper?

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 7016
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by MindMachine » Sun May 24, 2020 5:27 pm

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:01 pm


The Lubadh can make super CREAMY all analog delays. Here I'm running the Impulse Command through the Lubadh acting as a delay line with cv control over delay time, feedback, and wet/dry balance.
Not my particular cup of tea but that is impressive. Nice gear too.
The Lubadh is rising on my wish list.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by James_Fredrickson » Sun May 24, 2020 10:07 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:27 pm
James_Fredrickson wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:01 pm


The Lubadh can make super CREAMY all analog delays. Here I'm running the Impulse Command through the Lubadh acting as a delay line with cv control over delay time, feedback, and wet/dry balance.
Not my particular cup of tea but that is impressive. Nice gear too.
The Lubadh is rising on my wish list.
Thank you! I feel like Lubadh has incredible potential for many genres.

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by dbeats » Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 am

dbeats wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am
...A short loop that seems to be about 25ms longer or slower than the original 8 bar content when played at original 1x speed. So after 4 loops without retriggering (=16 seconds) the loop is about 100ms out of sync. Moreover, when retriggering, when I use the CLK OUT with timing 8, for example, I can see and hear that the generated clocks more and more lag behind my system clock.
Sorry to quote myself. But I further investigated this: The ~25ms offset per loop seems to be a constant, also when recording longer loops like 128 bars. The first loop sounds to be in sync, but then it sounds as if the end of the first loop is cut too late, so when the second loop starts there is already a noticeable delay. I want to believe it's me and not the module, but in direct comparison the loops of my Morphagene and Bitbox stay in sync for ages without re-clocking, especially Bitbox.

Next I'll see if Instruo can help me with this or maybe even find a bugfix.

User avatar
scragz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by scragz » Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am

dbeats wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 am
dbeats wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am
...A short loop that seems to be about 25ms longer or slower than the original 8 bar content when played at original 1x speed. So after 4 loops without retriggering (=16 seconds) the loop is about 100ms out of sync. Moreover, when retriggering, when I use the CLK OUT with timing 8, for example, I can see and hear that the generated clocks more and more lag behind my system clock.
Sorry to quote myself. But I further investigated this: The ~25ms offset per loop seems to be a constant, also when recording longer loops like 128 bars. The first loop sounds to be in sync, but then it sounds as if the end of the first loop is cut too late, so when the second loop starts there is already a noticeable delay. I want to believe it's me and not the module, but in direct comparison the loops of my Morphagene and Bitbox stay in sync for ages without re-clocking, especially Bitbox.

Next I'll see if Instruo can help me with this or maybe even find a bugfix.
Please update with what Instruo says. I experience the same problems with syncing and have been working around it by always using the retrigger.

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by dbeats » Mon May 25, 2020 11:08 am

scragz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am
dbeats wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 am
Next I'll see if Instruo can help me with this or maybe even find a bugfix.
Please update with what Instruo says. I experience the same problems with syncing and have been working around it by always using the retrigger.
Happy to do so. Jason already replied, and we are in exchange of more details and possible solution ideas. It seems that there is a recording intro/outro of additional ~20ms that leads to the offset and that adds up with each repeat of the loop when not retriggering.

User avatar
akavalve
Common Wiggler
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:47 am
Location: Boston

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by akavalve » Wed May 27, 2020 9:48 am

akavalve wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:12 am
The clock output seems to recalculate when 'start' is adjusted. It would be great if it stayed steady if the 'length' stayed the same so you could sweep the start point but maintain steady clock out. Maybe I'm missing something?
Answering here for the record in case anyone else has the same question.

I got a response back from Jason (really great guy btw).
Basically this is currently expected behavior.
There are plans for future firmware updates to implement a potential work around to maintain clock during start point adjustments.
No timeline for the update especially with all the Covid related stresses but it's on his radar.

obakegaku
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by obakegaku » Sun May 31, 2020 7:11 am

mgoodson wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:52 pm
i'm curious if you can get a tape-loop-like texture out of this if you continually overdub?
Sorry it's taken so long to get back you and thanks for listening to the tracks!
The analogue limiting when overdubbing in the decay mode is a great way to create tape style textures.

Experimenting with the amplitude of your sound source while recording/ overdubbing will also produce nice results. Bit of light fm on the way in will give you a nice tape warble later down the line too.

It's a solid looper for conventional applications, but has loads to offer experimentally too!

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 11044
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun May 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Would you care expanding over the experimental parts? I really wanted to try it, but opted for the Morphagene for now. Contrary to what other people have said I think the tape concept that both are built upon is a valid comparison, and the way I see it the Lubadh offers such a nicer interface, it's so simple to understand, and looks so playable. I think I'd be missing out on the splices, that's why I had to try tje Morphagene, but that option to fade in either tape head is super nice here.

What other aspects do you like? I'm so curious I really wanna get onr as well at some point soon.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

obakegaku
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by obakegaku » Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm

Hey! A lot of ground to cover, so I'll assume you've watched the Instruo vid and just give you some of my own less covered bits.

1) Feedback! The unit can create really gnarly feedback on its own which you can record then run through overruns of delay and reverb!

2) the clock outs! Using the clock multiplier and time modifier you can create burst style gates to drive sequencers envelopes etc.

3) automated / generative loops! Using the Decay mode have CV trigger record / erease for constantly evolving or regeneration of your source audio. Self patching also works great with this!

4) sequenced tape speed! Using an unquantised sequencer you can 'tune steps to the quantized tape speeds for octave and playback jumps. I use rene2 for this.

5) not quite granularised sequencing! Record a reel and set the 'start' at 12oclock and length to a very short and send random or sequenced CV to have your loop jump around with varying lengths. Bounce and repeats at different speeds for complex but musical overdubs from the simplest source audio.

Hope that's enough for you to puzzle over for the time being. I've only had Lub since January and keen to keep peeling away and post vids when I can.

Here was the burst idea last night :

obakegaku
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by obakegaku » Sun May 31, 2020 4:07 pm

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:01 pm


The Lubadh can make super CREAMY all analog delays. Here I'm running the Impulse Command through the Lubadh acting as a delay line with cv control over delay time, feedback, and wet/dry balance.
:sb: :sb: :sb:
Really enjoyed this, thanks!

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by James_Fredrickson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:20 pm

obakegaku wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm
Hey! A lot of ground to cover, so I'll assume you've watched the Instruo vid and just give you some of my own less covered bits.

1) Feedback! The unit can create really gnarly feedback on its own which you can record then run through overruns of delay and reverb!

2) the clock outs! Using the clock multiplier and time modifier you can create burst style gates to drive sequencers envelopes etc.

3) automated / generative loops! Using the Decay mode have CV trigger record / erease for constantly evolving or regeneration of your source audio. Self patching also works great with this!

4) sequenced tape speed! Using an unquantised sequencer you can 'tune steps to the quantized tape speeds for octave and playback jumps. I use rene2 for this.

5) not quite granularised sequencing! Record a reel and set the 'start' at 12oclock and length to a very short and send random or sequenced CV to have your loop jump around with varying lengths. Bounce and repeats at different speeds for complex but musical overdubs from the simplest source audio.

Hope that's enough for you to puzzle over for the time being. I've only had Lub since January and keen to keep peeling away and post vids when I can.

Here was the burst idea last night :
Thank you for the compliment.

Your post and vid have inspired me to try some new Lubadh routings. Great ideas here :hail:

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 11044
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:07 am

obakegaku wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm
Hope that's enough for you to puzzle over for the time being. I've only had Lub since January and keen to keep peeling away and post vids when I can.
Thank you for the thorough answer. What are you usually using the Aux In/Out for?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
cyclyk
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:33 am

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by cyclyk » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:10 am

obakegaku wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm
Hey! A lot of ground to cover, so I'll assume you've watched the Instruo vid and just give you some of my own less covered bits.

1) Feedback! The unit can create really gnarly feedback on its own which you can record then run through overruns of delay and reverb!

2) the clock outs! Using the clock multiplier and time modifier you can create burst style gates to drive sequencers envelopes etc.

3) automated / generative loops! Using the Decay mode have CV trigger record / erease for constantly evolving or regeneration of your source audio. Self patching also works great with this!

4) sequenced tape speed! Using an unquantised sequencer you can 'tune steps to the quantized tape speeds for octave and playback jumps. I use rene2 for this.

5) not quite granularised sequencing! Record a reel and set the 'start' at 12oclock and length to a very short and send random or sequenced CV to have your loop jump around with varying lengths. Bounce and repeats at different speeds for complex but musical overdubs from the simplest source audio.

Hope that's enough for you to puzzle over for the time being. I've only had Lub since January and keen to keep peeling away and post vids when I can.

Here was the burst idea last night :
Thank you for this clever one, I must think of following you on instagram.

obakegaku
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by obakegaku » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:34 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:07 am
obakegaku wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm
Hope that's enough for you to puzzle over for the time being. I've only had Lub since January and keen to keep peeling away and post vids when I can.
Thank you for the thorough answer. What are you usually using the Aux In/Out for?
Hi!

Couple of good uses for these.
1)when you want to record one audio source to both reels. You can even use the fader (CV control also) to determine which pieces of audio you want to go where.
Touch the reels played or use the setting button to fast track dysyncing in playback for organic phasing.

2)simple one but as an extra vca for your audio input or output. You can do this manually with the gain knobs too but again discrepancies in amplitude really add character to your loops if your after that tapey sound. This works particularly works well with the Decay mode too.

3) probably the most important, capturing the multiple approaches to feedback delay and reverb. Patch the out of one reel into the aux in, and use aux out as your final output. Attenuate your input and output pots to taste. Depending on your patch, the faders can allow you to decide on wet/dry options for master output!
My go to is overdubbing a delay, reoverdub a reverb etc. Jason covers a lot of this in the video. I reccomend revisiting the pitch shifting tape delay section for getting the most out of this

psynary
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:40 pm
Location: NZ
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by psynary » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:15 am

just wanted to share immediate impressions on the Lubadh. Possible the most inspirational module I've encountered since accumulating my rack. Play a few notes, start bouncing between the reels....instant Eno. It delivers the textures and the hands on playability i've been looking for since stumbling into modular. Can't imagine anything getting closer to the reality of a twin reel to reel setup, minus the recording studio, half a mile of tape and multiple microphone stands.


Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”