Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by studioutopia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 am

The decay mode really does sound like generational loss from dubbing. I've been using this like crazy.

I have not experimented with wow and flutter, but I'm assuming the slew is going to get in the way of flutter... I'll experiment tomorrow.

Yes -using the Link switch you can get the right deck matching what the left deck is doing. Once you get a loop established, then you can "set it free" and then make subtle changes to widen the stereo image. I've been playing with this all night - setting a 1/4 note or 1/4 triplet note length loop using Pamela to trigger record and stop-record, and then hitting record again to overdub with Decay mode. This provides an incredibly realistic tape echo effect.... which answers your next question.... YES... Doing tape echo on Lúbadh is THE BEST.
I actually prefer it to all my tape plugins and even Magneto (going from memory). It just sounds so dark, complex, deep.
My Mimeophon is quite depressed and keeps reciting poetic statements about Zones and Halo. And my Eventide TimeFactor is just.. "I have Tape Echo too, but WTF?"
I have been having some issues with odd glitches, and timing drift - but I've been working with Instruo on that.

Pitch shifting? Nope. There is no capability of disconnecting pitch from the time domain. I actually don't have any desire for it on Lúbadh - the module is already deep enough functionally...
but...

locking record to playback speed... I wish. Being forced to dub reel-to-reel in order to record at a different speed is annoying - and counter to the objective of being two virtual tape recorders. The current functionality of recording being disconnected from playback has its benefits - but I wish it had the option to lock them so you could get sliding time-shifts while overdubbing in decay mode. all warpy, crazy, flangy, phasey effects.....
You can approximate this with tape echo - but it requires recording on deck 1 with monitoring off, modulating playback, and then recording on the second deck with overdub and tape decay. It's in mono but sounds really cool.
I haven't recorded anything with time shifts yet - but I did a track last night using modulation on start and length using smooth random CV sources...

And for a sampling of both decks in action - the second doing 2x dub echos - passed though a Korgasmatron II, and mixed on a Frap CGM along with Lexiconand Sony outboard fx, listen to this:

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 am

Just updated to the latest 1.2e firmware hoping that my AUX distortion is fixed and now there is a click every time at the beginning of the loop. Back to 1.2b
Edit: on1.2b the right reel resets to the start when recording.. (monitor mode)

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:54 am

pelang wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 am
Just updated to the latest 1.2e firmware hoping that my AUX distortion is fixed and now there is a click every time at the beginning of the loop. Back to 1.2b
Edit: on1.2b the right reel resets to the start when recording.. (monitor mode)
Same experience for me. My Lubadh was also randomly freezing in 1.2b and Jason hooked me up with a beta that’s been running great for the last week.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:52 am

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:32 pm
Faulty module SOLVED. If anyone else cannot get the capacitive faceplate to turn off follow these instructions given to me by Jason:
1.) Capture something to a buffer.
2.) Play it back at audible speed.
3.) Stall it with the cap touch.
4.) Change switch position to off and the speed should pick back up to defined pot speed position and cap touch should no longer function.

This procedure worked for me thanks to Jason.

Cheers
It worked temporarily but after restarting the module the capacitive faceplate is on again. In my case, even when touching the speed pots the capacitive faceplate response and slows down. It’s a bit annoying when trying to adjust the pitch.
Did it work for you permanantly ?
Did you do the process on both reels ?

Thanks for help

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:28 pm

I had another thought: Would you be able to get tape-style flanging and through zero tremolo out of the Lubadh? It seems like it would work in theory.

Despite a 2 hour manual it seems like there's more to the Lubadh story.

James_Fredrickson
Common Wiggler

Post by James_Fredrickson » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:41 pm

pelang wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:52 am
James_Fredrickson wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:32 pm
Faulty module SOLVED. If anyone else cannot get the capacitive faceplate to turn off follow these instructions given to me by Jason:
1.) Capture something to a buffer.
2.) Play it back at audible speed.
3.) Stall it with the cap touch.
4.) Change switch position to off and the speed should pick back up to defined pot speed position and cap touch should no longer function.

This procedure worked for me thanks to Jason.

Cheers
It worked temporarily but after restarting the module the capacitive faceplate is on again. In my case, even when touching the speed pots the capacitive faceplate response and slows down. It’s a bit annoying when trying to adjust the pitch.
Did it work for you permanantly ?
Did you do the process on both reels ?

Thanks for help
This worked on the SECOND model I received. My first module had some other issues and needed to be returned. I only did this with one of the faceplates and it hasn't regressed since.

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Hey, Did you get this fixed. Mine seems the same after going through the YT video tutorial. I don't get feedback as easily as it looks like I should.
scragz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:45 pm
Are there trimmers for record level? Mine seems awfully quiet. Recorded loops are quieter than the source and if I turn on delay mode the through volume is cut in half. This is with input and output all the way up, newest firmware.

I've only had it for a few days and it's possible there is some user error involved but I did watch the entire 2 hour overview and read the manual several times.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:39 pm

Wubz wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:11 pm
Hey, Did you get this fixed. Mine seems the same after going through the YT video tutorial. I don't get feedback as easily as it looks like I should.
scragz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:45 pm
Are there trimmers for record level? Mine seems awfully quiet. Recorded loops are quieter than the source and if I turn on delay mode the through volume is cut in half. This is with input and output all the way up, newest firmware.

I've only had it for a few days and it's possible there is some user error involved but I did watch the entire 2 hour overview and read the manual several times.
No....I been meaning to do some proper measurements and write in to Instruo for guidance. In delay and decay modes especially it is QUIET.

obakegaku
Learning to Wiggle

Post by obakegaku » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Quick minimal noodle tonight with Lubadh 🎧

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:10 am

dbeats wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:08 am
scragz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am
Please update with what Instruo says. I experience the same problems with syncing and have been working around it by always using the retrigger.
Happy to do so. Jason already replied, and we are in exchange of more details and possible solution ideas. It seems that there is a recording intro/outro of additional ~20ms that leads to the offset and that adds up with each repeat of the loop when not retriggering.
I don't know if it's interesting anymore, but I still owe you an update on the issue above, the offset when used as a plain vanilla looper.
I was in contact with Jason until end of may, testing the beta firmware 1.2e. I did some further measurements and comparisons with Morphagene and Bitbox but didn't get any more feedback at some point. Maybe I stressed him a little bit too much, dunno. Then I was on vacation for like 6 weeks, that's why I haven't followed up earlier. Meanwhile, v1.2e was officially released, with "improved timing", and indeed that fw does solve the loop length precision quite well, IMO. There is still a noticeable one-time initial delay, though, which could be improved a little bit.

FWIW, here are my average measurements with a short loop of 2 seconds length and without retriggering:
Bitbox: Initial delay: 8ms, loop length error: 4ms per loop
Morphagene: Initial delay: 2ms, loop length error: 0.25ms per loop
Lubadh: Initial delay: 13ms, loop length error: 1-2ms per loop

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 am

dbeats wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:10 am
dbeats wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:08 am
scragz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am
Please update with what Instruo says. I experience the same problems with syncing and have been working around it by always using the retrigger.
Happy to do so. Jason already replied, and we are in exchange of more details and possible solution ideas. It seems that there is a recording intro/outro of additional ~20ms that leads to the offset and that adds up with each repeat of the loop when not retriggering.
I don't know if it's interesting anymore, but I still owe you an update on the issue above, the offset when used as a plain vanilla looper.
I was in contact with Jason until end of may, testing the beta firmware 1.2e. I did some further measurements and comparisons with Morphagene and Bitbox but didn't get any more feedback at some point. Maybe I stressed him a little bit too much, dunno. Then I was on vacation for like 6 weeks, that's why I haven't followed up earlier. Meanwhile, v1.2e was officially released, with "improved timing", and indeed that fw does solve the loop length precision quite well, IMO. There is still a noticeable one-time initial delay, though, which could be improved a little bit.

FWIW, here are my average measurements with a short loop of 2 seconds length and without retriggering:
Bitbox: Initial delay: 8ms, loop length error: 4ms per loop
Morphagene: Initial delay: 2ms, loop length error: 0.25ms per loop
Lubadh: Initial delay: 13ms, loop length error: 1-2ms per loop

How do you make these measurements?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:13 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 am
How do you make these measurements?
I use an oscilloscope to compare input signal vs through or looped signal. And I use precise clock to trigger the loops. It looks like this:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/vv6486n5sfhqav ... 4.mov?dl=0
http://www.dropbox.com/s/xm2q66ce566xzw ... 5.mov?dl=0
http://www.dropbox.com/s/dpdzpxx1yrecgy ... 7.MOV?dl=0

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Just snagged one of these and I like it a lot, but there's a few frustrations that I've seen other folks have had - specifically,
-sometimes the erase button doesn't actually erase anything, needing a power cycle to get a clean buffer
-theres almost always a little blip of the old loop left over at the very start of a new recording
-even if it's a super fresh recording, there seems to be a click, or at least a small gap of silence, at the start of any loop

Have any of these issues been fixed? I haven't had a chance to upload the newest firmware, does it fix these?

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Just snagged one of these and I like it a lot, but there's a few frustrations that I've seen other folks have had - specifically,
-sometimes the erase button doesn't actually erase anything, needing a power cycle to get a clean buffer
-theres almost always a little blip of the old loop left over at the very start of a new recording
-even if it's a super fresh recording, there seems to be a click, or at least a small gap of silence, at the start of any loop

Have any of these issues been fixed? I haven't had a chance to upload the newest firmware, does it fix these?
Yes. You defiantly want to get the newest firmware as this has been taken care of. this was one of the things that drove me crazy when I first purchased.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:24 pm

Eurocat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:11 pm
Yes. You defiantly want to get the newest firmware as this has been taken care of. this was one of the things that drove me crazy when I first purchased.
Bless, can't wait to get home then

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:15 pm

FYI: Instruo published another firmware update "Lúbadh Firmware 1.2.f", you can find it on their support page as always:
https://www.instruomodular.com/support/
I already had the opportunity to test this update, and I can confirm that the looper timings are further improved. I would still recommended though to retrigger at least once to get the recorded loop in proper sync, if that is what you're after.

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:22 am

@studioutopia: Love your Demos! Really good.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”