Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by d2ba » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:41 am

Anyone know how to do a factory reset ? I cant seem to erase anything by pushing erase button
Thanks in advance
###Solved### user error ---quick press does the trick:)
Last edited by d2ba on Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 am

don't do a long press, just a quick push. That may help

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:21 am

d2ba wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:41 am
Anyone know how to do a factory reset ? I cant seem to erase anything by pushing erase button
Thanks in advance
It's not described in the manual, so you might want to ask Instruo about that. A workaround would be (re-)flashing the latest firmware.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:51 am

There's the soft reset where you push all four small buttons anti clockwise starting from top right (or maybe I'm remembering backwards)

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:09 pm

I played a gig (stream) last friday, where the Lúbadh was the heart of my skiff:

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:12 pm

pyrolator wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:09 pm
I played a gig (stream) last friday, where the Lúbadh was the heart of my skiff:

I really like what you are doing --are you signed to a label?

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:30 am

d2ba wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:12 pm
I really like what you are doing --are you signed to a label?
Not with this kind of music, but yes, different labels...
(https://www.discogs.com/artist/20571-Pyrolator)

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:42 pm

Silly newbie question—just started exploring Lubadh today. The normalization path is NOT broken by plugging a cable into either output, correct? I was trying to use just the aux in (leaving the inputs unpatched) to alternate sending signal to either reel, but each output was heard on the opposite channel as well. That went away once I plugged dummy cables into both inputs...still wrapping my head around this!

ether
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ether » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:26 pm

pyrolator wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:09 pm
That was great, danke!

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:37 am

To save a recording to internal memory (USB Flash drive), press and hold the. Retrigger/Shift ...and Rec buttons for 2 secs
You can save as many samples as you like but it will always load the first in in root level!
Last edited by d2ba on Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Been having some bugs....

On many occasions it has restarted without the previous loops. This last time the right reel started up with what I had last night but the left reel was replaced with a 1 second test tone. I've had it start up with the reels empty too. This is with just the normal buffer memory and not saving to disk, which I haven't messed with but probably should.

Pretty frequently in one-shot mode it will freeze up and refuse to trigger. Switching it to loop mode and back to one-shot will unfreeze it. (Also in one-shot mode it would be nice if it didn't play through once on startup)

If Instruo comes across this post: Unfortunately I do not have reliable repros on either of these. I've been trying to repro the one-shot issue as it's more frequent and doesn't involve power cycling my case a bunch. Will report back if I have more info.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi Lubadh fans! I mentioned in another thread that I'm thinking of getting some micro-setup for living-room jams (think minimal ambient noises rather than polished EDM anthems), and the thing that I'm currently leaning towards is dipping my first toe into modular and basically plugging couple of contact mic mini-instruments and other noise sources into a mini-skiff based around Lubadh. But now I've got a couple of questions for the experts before I commit...

Firstly - do people who already have Lubadh find that it's rich enough to sustain that sort of approach essentially on its own? It seems like there's quite a range of stuff in there: tweaky sound-on-sound looping, Steve Reich-y phase games, self-sustaining pitch-shifting echoes and suchlike. And secondly - my current thought is to start very simply with just some inputs, maybe an EQ, Lubadh itself and some sort of output and tweak everything by hand, adding more triggering, modulation and processing options as I get more of an idea of what would be most useful. But is there anything else that's a total neccessity to include?

Thanks!

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:27 pm

The Lubadh makes an excellent music concrete tool, but at a minimum, I think you'd want to pair it with a modulation source. Maybe something like an Ochd or a MATHS. It would also be good to pair it with a sample player. By itself, the Lubadh isn't a solution for keeping a library of samples that can be used for layering.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:36 pm

It's great with ochd but make sure you get some attenuation.

cyclyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cyclyk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:09 am

scragz wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:36 pm
It's great with ochd but make sure you get some attenuation.
Exactly. And the idea of a sample player to pair with is the perfect combo.
Slothrop , you should look at the Morphagene maybe, for your idea of minimal setup.

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:13 am

I haven't used any modulation CV with Lubadh so far.
How do you use CV like ochd with Lubadh ?

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Johnnyfive » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:10 am

I don’t have ochd, but fwiw I quite like stepped modulation with lubadh (e.g. to start and length times), and a bit of noise into the speed input can be nice for tape flutter/wow effects (be sure to attenuate it lots!). Actually thinking about it fm-ing speed input with the audio output might be fun too, something for me to try!

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:48 am

Yeah it sounds great when you send a little noise and an LFO to the speed input for wow and flutter. It also does some nice granular sounding stuff if you set the length to one of its lowest settings and send slewed random to the start CV. And using a sequencer to chop up recordings sounds cool--the little bit of slew that occurs on step changes can be really musical sounding.

One thing I really wish you could do with CV though is activate punch-in recording. I would love to be able to have random gates or triggers running into it to replace recorded audio with whatever is incoming. I suppose you can achieve that by using tape decay mode and setting up an external feedback path to cut between recorded and new audio though.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:51 pm

Thanks!

On the modulation I'm tempted to go with my first instinct and hold off for now. I'm assuming that I'll want something fairly soon, but it seems worth having a play with Lubadh on its own first and then seeing whether I wish bits of it would wobble gradually up and down, or jump between a sequence of values, or what, and expand as appropriate.

Regarding sample players, what's the thinking there? I was mostly anticipating playing with "live" external sounds (kalimba, spring box, induction coil etc) - would a sample player be necessary on top of that? I'm looking to keep the cost under control as much as possible, so just going straight for something like Morphagene would be good to avoid if possible...
Last edited by Slothrop on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Possibly relevant extra context here - I'm hoping to end up with something that's satisfying enough to noodle with on its own, but it doesn't have to be a fully self-sufficient performance rig. For more complex pieces I'd be expecting to use it alongside other gear, or get back to jamming with other people when things are a bit less plague-y.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:46 am

I don't see why you would need an additional sample player unless you find yourself needing more sound sources. If you do, then there's no need to go for something big and expensive like Morphagene, there are plenty of small, cheap sample playback modules. Disting has a pretty good sample recorder/playback system, and comes with a whole slew of other functions you could make use of. TipTop's One is good and simple option, or Music Thing's Radio Music if you like the interface of it.

One thing you will need though is an audio input/preamp module--not sure if you've looked at those yet or not but I don't think Lubadh has enough gain to sufficiently boost a signal straight from a contact mic.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:28 am

Hi - I'm thinking about this and wondered if anyone has done something similar.
I'm currently playing Eurorack alongside electric guitar and bass that goes with a Midi-synced Pigtronix Infinity Looper. It works well but I've become so focused on the Eurorack as a control centre for everything. I already have a good Line-In solution to my modular for external gear so now considering to replace the Infinity with Lubadh to make the setup more compact and get all the extra CV control and modulation potential.

Any insights from others who have switched completely from a coventional footswitch looper to Lubadh (or another Eurorack solution).

cyclyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cyclyk » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 am

Slothrop wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:51 pm
Thanks!

On the modulation I'm tempted to go with my first instinct and hold off for now. I'm assuming that I'll want something fairly soon, but it seems worth having a play with Lubadh on its own first and then seeing whether I wish bits of it would wobble gradually up and down, or jump between a sequence of values, or what, and expand as appropriate.

Regarding sample players, what's the thinking there? I was mostly anticipating playing with "live" external sounds (kalimba, spring box, induction coil etc) - would a sample player be necessary on top of that? I'm looking to keep the cost under control as much as possible, so just going straight for something like Morphagene would be good to avoid if possible...
First time I saw Lubadh, I knew this module was for me. And my idea was just like yours: having a small system to play with, outside for example. I have Lubadh and adore it but, it is "just" a looper (a super looper don't quote me bad).
As a drummer I have lots of percussive objects and things like that, lots of sound sources to play with. As someone else says here, you will need a module to level up the volume of those sounds to play with. And then you will need more sounds.... because Lubadh loves sounds!!
I was suggesting Morphagene because it is a sample player AND because you can do a lot on those sounds on its own. It seems more capable of being alone in a very small portative setup. Just a little thought from a guy who really loves its Instruo Lubadh...

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:56 am

Anyone know when these will be back in stock?....... I want! I want! :guinness: :guinness:

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:19 am

Did you get any resolution on this?...... I'm "concerned before purchase" :eek:
scragz wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:30 pm
Been having some bugs....

On many occasions it has restarted without the previous loops. This last time the right reel started up with what I had last night but the left reel was replaced with a 1 second test tone. I've had it start up with the reels empty too. This is with just the normal buffer memory and not saving to disk, which I haven't messed with but probably should.

Pretty frequently in one-shot mode it will freeze up and refuse to trigger. Switching it to loop mode and back to one-shot will unfreeze it. (Also in one-shot mode it would be nice if it didn't play through once on startup)

If Instruo comes across this post: Unfortunately I do not have reliable repros on either of these. I've been trying to repro the one-shot issue as it's more frequent and doesn't involve power cycling my case a bunch. Will report back if I have more info.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”