Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by scragz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 pm

No but I never actually contacted Instruo directly. They're not frequent or bad enough to be real showstoppers. I will bug them today.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:34 pm

cyclyk wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 am
First time I saw Lubadh, I knew this module was for me. And my idea was just like yours: having a small system to play with, outside for example. I have Lubadh and adore it but, it is "just" a looper (a super looper don't quote me bad).
Thanks! But it's effectively two fancy loopers or a fancy looper and a delay or two delays, no? I've had good times previously jamming with just contact mics into similar combinations in guitar pedal format, which is why it seems like it might work here.

I do kind of like the idea of adding something else that can do capture and playback (or analogue style delay, or both) in the long run, but I'd shy away from getting something like Morphagene immediately because of the :75: ...

Regarding input preamps - I was looking at Ears for that, which seems to tick the boxes?

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:12 pm

It will still loop in delay mode so it could be two loopers and two delays. But the second looper and how they work together is what really makes the module something special.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:43 am

Came across an issue that might have been reported on before; when I put the module into tape decay mode, there's always a bit of a click (or at least a fraction of noticeable silence) at the top of the loop. I know this was resolved in the normal loop mode with the last update (and I double checked, still works like a charm there!) but not being able to make seamless loops in decay mode is a bummer

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:28 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:43 am
Came across an issue that might have been reported on before; when I put the module into tape decay mode, there's always a bit of a click (or at least a fraction of noticeable silence) at the top of the loop. I know this was resolved in the normal loop mode with the last update (and I double checked, still works like a charm there!) but not being able to make seamless loops in decay mode is a bummer
I think your best plan is contacting Instruo directly through their site and showing them video of it.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:36 pm

By the way - I went with just Lubadh plus Mutable Ears and 4MS Listen IO for getting noises in and out.

First up, yep, like everyone says, Lubadh is pretty heckin great.

Second up, I'm pretty happy with the approach so far - I'm getting some very cool noises from just wanging in sounds and plugging cables and twiddling knobs, and I reckon that after quite a lot more playing with it I'll have a lot more of an idea of what I really want to expand it out with.

Thanks for all the help!

mkdvb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mkdvb » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:47 pm

Still trying to wrap my ears around my Lubadh but was wondering if anyone's using a foot pedal to trigger recording? Any suggestions? Jason uses some modded sustain pedal in his video manual but doesn't really go into detail. Seems like a lot of footpedals have TRS so how would I "translate" that to TS for euroland? Don't wanna fry my module.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:14 am

mkdvb wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:47 pm
Still trying to wrap my ears around my Lubadh but was wondering if anyone's using a foot pedal to trigger recording? Any suggestions? Jason uses some modded sustain pedal in his video manual but doesn't really go into detail. Seems like a lot of footpedals have TRS so how would I "translate" that to TS for euroland? Don't wanna fry my module.
A standard sustain pedal doesn't generate any voltage, I believe the voltage goes down the ring and out the tip when it's pressed. So your options are breaking out the TRS into two TS with one giving a voltage and the other going to the Lubadh, modding the pedal to have a 9v battery that outputs its own voltage, or using a Doepfer A-177-2, ADDAC301, or perhaps the new Ritual Electronics Pointeuse.

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Johnnyfive » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:09 pm

mkdvb wrote:
Yep, I use a boss fs-6 plugged into a doepfer a-177-2 - the boss pedal has two separate foot switches which come out as separate outputs on the doepfer, so I use it to toggle recording on both reels of the lubadh independently. It’s a pretty simple approach that works well!

mkdvb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mkdvb » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks. I was hoping for a (inexpensive) solution outside of the rack as I only have a Palette. The 1u row is completely accounted for & even 4hp in the main row is a lot to give up when I only have 62.

Apparently there's a common DOD FX17 pedal that outputs 1/8" 0-5v CV.

But I will probably end up w/ the doepfer ... the 2 footswitches does seem pretty handy & maybe using an expression pedal to control aux i/o sliders may be cool.

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:40 pm

mkdvb wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:47 pm
Thanks. I was hoping for a (inexpensive) solution outside of the rack as I only have a Palette. The 1u row is completely accounted for & even 4hp in the main row is a lot to give up when I only have 62.

Apparently there's a common DOD FX17 pedal that outputs 1/8" 0-5v CV.

But I will probably end up w/ the doepfer ... the 2 footswitches does seem pretty handy & maybe using an expression pedal to control aux i/o sliders may be cool.
I've used the Koma Kommander for that sort of thing—only caveat is that you have to be careful on how/where you place it and it's not 100% foolproof (because you could activate either channel with a foot, and there's no "tactile" feedback as with a switch). But it's 0hp and cool.

cyclyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cyclyk » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:42 am

mkdvb wrote:
Doing some percussive stuffs here (hands occupied), I will use inexpensive Ritual Electronics Pointeuse for that and rethink my 1U palette row..

snoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snoop » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:28 am

Can anyone confirm this bug:

Send unattenuated noise modulation / or sine wave (at audio rate) to time. For me this erases the audio.

Latest software update
Last edited by snoop on Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:29 pm

I just noticed Lúbadh received an update in recent days:

https://www.instruomodular.com/support/

v1.3:
Supports multiple file exports to usb
Improved re-trigger timing
Minor bug fixes

maaark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maaark » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:15 am

I recently acquired a Lubadh, and I love its functionality- the only thing is, I can't seem to get rid of a digital beeping noise which always seems to be there. I've sent Instruo an email this weekend but have not received anything back yet- will post if they do, but for now:
I am using two 62hp Intellijel Palette cases, and I did all kinds of tests, but whatever I do, even if the Lubadh is in a case all by itself, it keeps making this digital beeping sound in the background.

Audio example. First of the always-present beeping sound, then of fadeouts of sound pieces I made in which the sound is also there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/baso50wp36nyd ... e.wav?dl=0

I love the looper, and would love to get rid of this noise so I can use it with confidence. I updated the Lubadh's firmware a few weeks ago. That did not help. Anyone who has some tips? :)

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:28 am

Sorry to hear that. I have the same issue with my Arbhar—the noise is always present as long as the Arbhar shares power or ground with other modules in my setup (it goes away if it’s the only module in the case). I briefly had a Lubadh and noticed the same problem, even exacerbated by the fact that it seems the Lubadh actually records the sound into its buffers, so it gets louder over time. I’ve been troubleshooting it for months and although I haven’t solved it I can offer some advice.

One thing that helps is using some kind of di with galvanic isolation. I use a lehle P-Split and verified it suppresses most of the noise if inserted anywhere in the patching (in other words, it doesn’t need to be used directly “after” the offending module). Gain staging can also help—in my experience the noise is constant regardless of module output level, so don’t be afraid to crank the levels and attenuate after the fact. Good luck!

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:28 am

maaark wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:15 am
I recently acquired a Lubadh, and I love its functionality- the only thing is, I can't seem to get rid of a digital beeping noise which always seems to be there.
are you using the AUX output ? I have 2 spots with digital noise when moving the fader. The tempo is the same but the noise is different.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 pm

I have a used Lúbadh coming to me this week. I'm predicting that the firmware has never been updated on it, but curious what people think of the current firmware version(s). I've read a lot of conflicting stories about which firmware breaks which feature (and of course, there is the new v1.3). Any thoughts? Should I "start clean" by installing the latest firmware? The option to export multiple files to USB does sound intriguing.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:11 pm

antonriehl wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 pm
Any thoughts? Should I "start clean" by installing the latest firmware?
I would install the latest especially since it's solely a bug fix release. They don't tend to introduce a lot of regressions and the later firmwares have tightened up the timings quite a bit.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:22 pm

scragz wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:11 pm
antonriehl wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 pm
Any thoughts? Should I "start clean" by installing the latest firmware?
I would install the latest especially since it's solely a bug fix release. They don't tend to introduce a lot of regressions and the later firmwares have tightened up the timings quite a bit.
Thanks, that was where I was headed with my thinking as well, but just wanted to confirm.

I'm pretty excited to put this into my rack and test it out! :)

maaark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maaark » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:26 am

pelang wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:28 am
maaark wrote:
I recently acquired a Lubadh, and I love its functionality- the only thing is, I can't seem to get rid of a digital beeping noise which always seems to be there.
are you using the AUX output ? I have 2 spots with digital noise when moving the fader. The tempo is the same but the noise is different.
Yes, I also have one spot where I have this, but the noise is also always present in the background.
corbetta wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:28 am
Sorry to hear that. I have the same issue with my Arbhar—the noise is always present as long as the Arbhar shares power or ground with other modules in my setup (it goes away if it’s the only module in the case). I briefly had a Lubadh and noticed the same problem, even exacerbated by the fact that it seems the Lubadh actually records the sound into its buffers, so it gets louder over time. I’ve been troubleshooting it for months and although I haven’t solved it I can offer some advice.

One thing that helps is using some kind of di with galvanic isolation. I use a lehle P-Split and verified it suppresses most of the noise if inserted anywhere in the patching (in other words, it doesn’t need to be used directly “after” the offending module). Gain staging can also help—in my experience the noise is constant regardless of module output level, so don’t be afraid to crank the levels and attenuate after the fact. Good luck!
Sad to hear I'm not the only one. Having some experience with embedded systems, I think it has to do with using a system like a Raspberry Pi, as both Arbhar and Lubadh do- it's quite hard to get rid of the noise of the system when designing something like this.
I'm a bit dissapointed Instruo has not gotten back to me.
I just hope the noise will be less when I acquire my new case from CLANK with a different PSU... Let's see if I have a DI lying around that I can bring in.

If anyone has any other tips, let me know, and I'll keep you updated on how will sound in my new case.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:27 pm

maaark wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:26 am
pelang wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:28 am
maaark wrote:
Yes, I also have one spot where I have this, but the noise is also always present in the background.
corbetta wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:28 am

Sad to hear I'm not the only one. Having some experience with embedded systems, I think it has to do with using a system like a Raspberry Pi, as both Arbhar and Lubadh do- it's quite hard to get rid of the noise of the system when designing something like this.
I'm a bit dissapointed Instruo has not gotten back to me.
I just hope the noise will be less when I acquire my new case from CLANK with a different PSU... Let's see if I have a DI lying around that I can bring in.

If anyone has any other tips, let me know, and I'll keep you updated on how will sound in my new case.
Does your case use a switching supply? or a linear supply. I will have my Lubadh tomorrow. That type of digital noise in the audio is unacceptable. I have a large system powered by a high current linear supply. I've never experienced any artifacts from any of the embedded or micro based modules. ( I have quite a few.)

If I experience the same in my system as you're hearing I'll return the Lubadh.
I'll report back after some testing.

maaark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maaark » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:34 am

Hi @glennfin- it's a Intellijel Palette case. Pretty sure it's a switching supply.

Curious how your linear supply will do! I read some other topics and apparently it's a tradeoff between portability and functionality.

I will let you know when I get my Clank case with XPSU if it is better or worse. :)

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:18 am

maaark wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:34 am
Hi @glennfin- it's a Intellijel Palette case. Pretty sure it's a switching supply.

Curious how your linear supply will do! I read some other topics and apparently it's a tradeoff between portability and functionality.

I will let you know when I get my Clank case with XPSU if it is better or worse. :)
Well, you may lose portability but certainly not functionality. I'm a retired electronics engineer (40+ years) I've also been a licensed amateur radio operator for going on 50 years. (Yea, old dude). Switching power supplies have always been notorious noise generators. Noise (emissions) from switching supplies can be conducted and or radiated. If a device like a Nano is placed right next to a high gain analog input circuit, it is certainly possible for radiated noise to be heard / picked up at the high gain input. Please understand, I'm not saying this is the case with the looper but just something to consider.

maaark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maaark » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:36 am

glennfin wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:18 am
maaark wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:34 am

Well, you may lose portability but certainly not functionality. I'm a retired electronics engineer (40+ years) I've also been a licensed amateur radio operator for going on 50 years. (Yea, old dude). Switching power supplies have always been notorious noise generators. Noise (emissions) from switching supplies can be conducted and or radiated. If a device like a Nano is placed right next to a high gain analog input circuit, it is certainly possible for radiated noise to be heard / picked up at the high gain input. Please understand, I'm not saying this is the case with the looper but just something to consider.
Yes- I mean that switching PSU's tend to be more portable, while linear PSU's tend to be better (but bigger and less portable).

Well this issue definitely made me read up on analog, digital modules, PSU's et cetera (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157455). Wow :sstorm:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”