Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by glennfin » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Yes- I mean that switching PSU's tend to be more portable, while linear PSU's tend to be better (but bigger and less portable).

Well this issue definitely made me read up on analog, digital modules, PSU's et cetera (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157455). Wow :sstorm:
Yes, a lot to read.... gotta go.. my Lubadh just arrived! :hyper:

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:34 am

Avoid swichting power supplies ! small and low cost, low weight, but not appropiate for sound stuff !.

mkdvb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mkdvb » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 pm

glennfin wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Yes- I mean that switching PSU's tend to be more portable, while linear PSU's tend to be better (but bigger and less portable).

Well this issue definitely made me read up on analog, digital modules, PSU's et cetera (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157455). Wow :sstorm:
Was wondering if you've had a chance to play with your Lubadh & report back on the noise issue? Is it a power supply thing? That'd be my guess ... my Lubadh in the Palette makes the same sound but I think it's the Palette, not the Lubadh. It makes the same sound when I plug into my Apex module as well.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:05 am

I've had some limited time with the Lubadh and so far no noise issues as you described (digital noise)
I don't hear any noise in that recording you posted, only what sounds like a percussive hit at one point.
mkdvb wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 pm
glennfin wrote:

Was wondering if you've had a chance to play with your Lubadh & report back on the noise issue? Is it a power supply thing? That'd be my guess ... my Lubadh in the Palette makes the same sound but I think it's the Palette, not the Lubadh. It makes the same sound when I plug into my Apex module as well.

mkdvb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mkdvb » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Quick update on my noise issue w/ the Lubadh + Palette. The noise is very similar to what I hear when I connect a recording interface to my laptop & the laptop charger is plugged in -- I have to remember to unplug the laptop before tracking. Thankfully, balancing the lines out of euro-land (the Lubadh in yesterday's instance) took care of the problem going into the DAW (I usually don't notice it otherwise).

Tricky though because I found that if I tried to re-balance a signal that was already balanced (coming from my Matriarch), I introduced more noise. In that instance, I was sending the Lubadh out into a Zen Delay into the Matriarch VCAs & I guess the Moog balanced the signal on its back end.

When I took the Lubadh aux out directly into my interface, noise was there but patching through an Ebtech line level shifter got rid of it. I remember trying a DI solution unsuccessfully but don't recall the details other than it was a JDI. DI's aren't meant to take euro signals so that may have something to do with it. Also tried inline line noise filter, which did reduce the noise somewhat but not sure how it would affect the signal.

Hope that helps anyone with the same problem.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:56 pm

I've been starting to play with my Lúbadh, and so far I'm loving it. :)
One thing I've noticed is that after restarting my rack, the speed is not always the same as when I turned it off the night before. So, I'll come back and something will be playing 2x, or the wrong pitch, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? It's not the end of the world, since it's easy to adjust again, I was just surprised since it's a digital module.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:55 pm

Having strange issues with Lubadh where if I touch and hold the pitch knob (the one in the middle of the reel) then the slow down effect slowly kicks in and the tape comes to a stop even though I'm not touching the capacitive plate and the knob is made of plastic. Is this normal? (I'm not accidentally pitching down as the 1:1 pitch light remains lit).
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:27 am

I have the same problem. I disabled it with the tiny switch..wasn't able to use it even with sensitivity on minimum. You may try to adjust it with the screw on the back.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:51 am

pelang wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:27 am
I have the same problem. I disabled it with the tiny switch..wasn't able to use it even with sensitivity on minimum. You may try to adjust it with the screw on the back.
What exactly did you disable?.. the capacitive touch function? and what "screw" on the back? :hmm:

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:53 pm

pelang wrote:
Shame, I know this is a bonus feature but it seems like it’s not quite up to scratch. I’ll switch it off. Thanks for the tip.

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:23 pm

glennfin wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:51 am
pelang wrote:
What exactly did you disable?.. the capacitive touch function? and what "screw" on the back? :hmm:
oh...yes, the capacitive tape reel trimmer is at the front. the switch on the back

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:47 pm

For anyone that's gotten the capacitive touch to work, does the trimmer adjust the slew or does the trimmer adjust how hard you must press for the effect?

It seems like a gate that slews the speed control, but if you can adjust the rate of the slew is something more important to me if I can get it to work.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:33 pm

I'm having issues where the Lubadh is re-triggering a little inconsistently. Most times the retriever will be on the money and sound the same, though sometimes (maybe 20% of the time) it will be off and sound different. I notice it most with a drum loop where every now and again, the transient of the kick drum is lost and instead is sounds soft. With this being a digital module shouldn't it be the same every time?

[EDIT} If I use the Equal Division Retrigger patch (in the manual) where clock out is patched into retrigger then it seems to retriever on the money every time. Weird.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:39 pm

I love my Lubadh, just got it after Christmas, but man it is one of the flakiest modules I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot.) Does not erase consistently at all, sometimes erase only gets part of the loop or none at all, other times it's perfect. A couple of times it has booted with nothing on the reels, then I reboot and content is there. Sometimes it saves what I was working on when I power down, other times not. This is on current firmware. It sounds AMAZING when you slow down the loop with the capacitive touch, or spin the loop backwards, way more tape like than the Morphagene. Just wish it wasn't so psychotic. Can't imagine relying on this module in a live setting as a primary sound source - Pyrolator's excellent post/performance above notwithstanding. Anyone else find a fix for these issues?

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:53 pm

trickness wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:39 pm
I love my Lubadh, just got it after Christmas, but man it is one of the flakiest modules I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot.) Does not erase consistently at all, sometimes erase only gets part of the loop or none at all, other times it's perfect. A couple of times it has booted with nothing on the reels, then I reboot and content is there. Sometimes it saves what I was working on when I power down, other times not. This is on current firmware. It sounds AMAZING when you slow down the loop with the capacitive touch, or spin the loop backwards, way more tape like than the Morphagene. Just wish it wasn't so psychotic. Can't imagine relying on this module in a live setting as a primary sound source - Pyrolator's excellent post/performance above notwithstanding. Anyone else find a fix for these issues?
I'm still trying to get reliable steps to reproduce any of these. I've experienced the booting with nothing many times and also having reels erased with some kind of test tone. I reported to Instruo but really hard to troubleshoot anything without repro.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:40 pm

scragz wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:53 pm
trickness wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:39 pm
I'm still trying to get reliable steps to reproduce any of these. I've experienced the booting with nothing many times and also having reels erased with some kind of test tone. I reported to Instruo but really hard to troubleshoot anything without repro.
Yeah same here. It makes me wonder whether or not there is some kind of flaky mechanical or electrical contact that works intermittently somewhere in the interface.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:26 pm

Following up on my post above. I spent a bit more time and have discovered the following issue in one shot mode. On trigger, Lubadh cuts off the start of the recorded sound. However if you retrigger while it is playing it will play the complete sound. Here's the set up I did to test this...

1) Put Lubadh into 1 shot mode
2) Mult a trigger into an Assimil8or (with one shot drum sample) and Lubadh's record gate
3) Add second trigger into Lubadh's retrig input
4) Output of Assimil8or into Lubadh's input
5) Output of Lubadh to speakers

On trigger, the Assimil8or triggers the drum sound and simultaneously the Lubadh records it. With the second trigger, the Lubadh plays back the drum hit - but the transient is not audibly not there. Pressing trigger again (whilst the Lubadh is still playing) the transient is there. If I let it play out and stop, and then retrigger the Lubadh, it cuts off the start again.

I've also noticed that if you manually retrigger using the retrigger button when the Lubadh is not playing there is a noticeable latency when compared to repeatedly pressing the retrigger button when it is playing.

Playing with it some more - if you send a steady trigger stream into the retrigger input, playback is audibly not steady, it struggles keeping up and jitters around quite noticeably. Source is a square LFO (Just Friends). Taking it up into Audio Rate can throw the Lubadh out entirely - I just had it stop playing / respond to triggers completely.

I've sent this to Instruo via their contact form, though on submit there was no confirmation it actually sent... the form just clears :woah:. Hopefully it went through, otherwise, maybe Instruo will see this post... either way, I hope these glitches can be resolved - it's a great module otherwise but it needs to be rock solid on timing and audio consistency.

THX

maaark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maaark » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:49 am

glennfin wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:05 am
I've had some limited time with the Lubadh and so far no noise issues as you described (digital noise)
I don't hear any noise in that recording you posted, only what sounds like a percussive hit at one point.
mkdvb wrote:
glennfin wrote:

Just to give an update from my side- my Lubadh is still experiencing the same beeping noise, no matter where or in what case (though all cases I tried had switching PSUs: a CLANK case, two Intellijel Palettes and a small EOwave case). I again emailed Instruo, otherwise I will sell it as it has annoyed me enough. The module is brilliant, can't live with the noise though.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:24 am

I think you must have a lemon. Mine is in a case with a switching PSU and have no issues. Assume you have tried different wall warts?

Hopefully Instruo will sort you out.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:30 am

maaark wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:49 am
glennfin wrote:
mkdvb wrote:
glennfin wrote:

Just to give an update from my side- my Lubadh is still experiencing the same beeping noise, no matter where or in what case (though all cases I tried had switching PSUs: a CLANK case, two Intellijel Palettes and a small EOwave case). I again emailed Instruo, otherwise I will sell it as it has annoyed me enough. The module is brilliant, can't live with the noise though.
I had a lot of digital noise when I first started using it, but I have largely reduced it as a concern by concentrating on signal to noise and gain staging. If the incoming signal is loud enough I don’t really hear it; I had been going straight from my OP-1 into the Lubadh and it wasn’t hot enough. Changed it up and used an input module and it largely alleviated the issue - not saying that’s the problem you have but perhaps? The Lubadh isn’t a “clean” module by any means though, there’s digital noise for sure.

maaark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maaark » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 am

trickness wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:30 am
maaark wrote:
glennfin wrote:
mkdvb wrote:
glennfin wrote:

I had a lot of digital noise when I first started using it, but I have largely reduced it as a concern by concentrating on signal to noise and gain staging. If the incoming signal is loud enough I don’t really hear it; I had been going straight from my OP-1 into the Lubadh and it wasn’t hot enough. Changed it up and used an input module and it largely alleviated the issue - not saying that’s the problem you have but perhaps? The Lubadh isn’t a “clean” module by any means though, there’s digital noise for sure.
Yes, I tried all this, it helps for sure-
but as I make quite ambient music, which often is quite dynamic in nature, the beeps are always audible. People complain about Make Noise modules being noisy, but I never experienced that- my Lubadh is in a whole other league.
Anyway, in contact with Instruo again, hope it's fixable :)

Is the noise I am experiencing (the beeping) the same as you have experienced?

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:03 am

maaark wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 am
trickness wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:30 am
maaark wrote:
glennfin wrote:
mkdvb wrote:
glennfin wrote:

Yes, I tried all this, it helps for sure-
but as I make quite ambient music, which often is quite dynamic in nature, the beeps are always audible. People complain about Make Noise modules being noisy, but I never experienced that- my Lubadh is in a whole other league.
Anyway, in contact with Instruo again, hope it's fixable :)

Is the noise I am experiencing (the beeping) the same as you have experienced?
I would not characterize my noise as beeping, but pulsing in waves. My rack is Needham with Eskatonic, but I’ve also tried it in my Mantis case, it’s there also. Eskatonic might be slightly quieter.

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:43 am

I had a lemon, Jason replaced it. Couldn't be happier.
batch wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:24 am
I think you must have a lemon. Mine is in a case with a switching PSU and have no issues. Assume you have tried different wall warts?

Hopefully Instruo will sort you out.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:25 am

Hey, I recently updated fw & it turns out the 16gb micro sd in the Lubadh is corrupt/kaput. I replaced it with a 4gb card I had lying around. Anyone know if its sufficient or should I just buy a new 16gb card? Im not sure how much space the audio files take up on the disk/whats necessary to run the module. I appreciate your help

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:51 am

possible small bug in 1.3: The left reel doesn't start automatically when in reverse mode after restart the system.

any news on the new firmware?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”