Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by Besfar » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:09 am

I agree, this module sounds hifi, its great.
But the intensity knob is bullshit.
It would be infinitly more great to have one side smear grains like both sides seem to do now, and one side just fire grais in lesss rapid succession as you go ccw.
Just like clouds.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:39 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 am

Another idea: make intensity and length independent of each other. I‘d love to be able to have only very few, short grains. As I understand it now short grains will be triggered in rather quick succession, even at low intensity settings, while long grains are more slow to emerge, even at higher intensity.
Is that a technical limitation or a choice?
If I remember from that very long, but informative, video that Jason did a little while back, there is a limit on how many grains can exist at any moment.

However, I completely agree that having length & intensity independent would make more sense from a UI and modulation standpoint. I would guess the current scheme is in place to make sure the user doesn’t exceed the max number of grains Arbhar is capable of. I would guess that “failure” where either grains aren’t triggered, or the oldest are suddenly dropped, doesn’t sound all that interesting.

So far, Arbhar is so much more playable and deep sounding than any other granular module, or software, that I’ve tried.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:54 am

There is the trigger in option which divests grain length from how quickly grains are played.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:55 am

Besfar wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:09 am
I agree, this module sounds hifi, its great.
But the intensity knob is bullshit.
It would be infinitly more great to have one side smear grains like both sides seem to do now, and one side just fire grais in lesss rapid succession as you go ccw.
Just like clouds.
Luckily there’s Clouds.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:26 am

stujay18 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:50 pm
Whatisvalis wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:13 am
Sync wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:12 am
corbetta wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm
Update: mine shipped from CV today and it looks like they have more in stock (ludabh too!)

https://www.controlvoltage.net/instruo-arbhar.html

Both Control Voltage and Control currently show them in stock. Perfect Circuit shows their usual "more coming soon" and Detroit lists it as "pre-order." Hopefully the Perfect Circuit and Detroit shipments are soon to arrive, unless they just got some and were all reserved by previous pre-orders...
Fingers crossed Detroit Modular can fill their pre orders with this next shipment - not heard anything yet.
Agreed. I'm waiting for mine from Detroit Modular too.
Looks like status went from pre order to out of stock

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:13 am

If anyone hadn't spotted it yet, the official manual for Arbhar has just been posted online... Looking forward to getting stuck in! https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... ual-A5.pdf

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 am

dandandaaan wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:13 am
If anyone hadn't spotted it yet, the official manual for Arbhar has just been posted online... Looking forward to getting stuck in! https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... ual-A5.pdf
Awesome!!

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:02 pm

It’s a pity that one can either control reverb or stereo field through the one mod input. I’d love to use the beautiful reverb, but also have a less extreme panning of the grains.

The new information about loading and saving audio is interesting. Let’s see how unmounting Arbhar every time I want to access the USB stick will feel after a while.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:09 pm

i'd like the reverb to be less long and a bit darker. feed it a nanovolt and there's allready tails of a few weeks

I'm now standard in stereo imaging mode

Sareal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sareal » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:21 pm

corbetta wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm
Update: mine shipped from CV today and it looks like they have more in stock (ludabh too!)

https://www.controlvoltage.net/instruo-arbhar.html

So pissed with this store . I bought from them. I’m not from the US but I used my credit card as normal. I sent it to my friends house. I called my credit card service and it was registered . Ok .
After a few days emailed them to ask if they already shipped and didn’t get replies. I asked my friend to call them . They reported to my friend that the shipped had problems and they refunded me . But they didn’t contact me or anything . Now the item is out of stock. They should contacted me before send to another person.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 am

fjoesz wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:09 pm
i'd like the reverb to be less long and a bit darker. feed it a nanovolt and there's allready tails of a few weeks

I'm now standard in stereo imaging mode
The reverb easily gets too big. But when you hit the sweet spot it‘s so.. sweet!

One problem is that some external reverbs will NOT work with Arbhar!
I connected it to Clouds and Magneto and and they were not able to add reverb to the sound coming out of Arbhar.
With FX AID some reverb algorithms worked while others didn’t.
Note: this is using Arbhar in stereo mode (with hard panning). It‘s all fine when using only the left output where the signal is only mono.
Jason is aware of is and says this may have to do with the way Arbhar processes and outputs audio (phase reversal on one channel, etc.).

In his long video he mentions that Arbhar‘s reverb is meant as a bonus for small systems were there might not be a separate reverb module.
This is a bit of a conundrum for those who DO want to use a separate reverb after Arbhar, only to discover it won‘t work.
Let‘s see how this develops and if Jason finds a way around this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas for a solution?

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Post by Bartelby » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:00 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:02 pm
Let’s see how unmounting Arbhar every time I want to access the USB stick will feel after a while.
Make a usb module? Panel mounted USB A socket, solder on a length of old USB cable with an A plug. Plug and play...
It's what I plan to do. I made a 4 port USB hub module so I can program mt Pr0K drum modules without having to take them out the case.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:45 am

Bartelby wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:00 am
MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:02 pm
Let’s see how unmounting Arbhar every time I want to access the USB stick will feel after a while.
Make a usb module? Panel mounted USB A socket, solder on a length of old USB cable with an A plug. Plug and play...
It's what I plan to do. I made a 4 port USB hub module so I can program mt Pr0K drum modules without having to take them out the case.
A very practical idea. How much hp would that occupy? I‘m guessing four.

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:47 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:45 am
A very practical idea. How much hp would that occupy? I‘m guessing four.
i think 2 is enough: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-183-9

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:48 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 am

One problem is that some external reverbs will NOT work with Arbhar!
I connected it to Clouds and Magneto and and they were not able to add reverb to the sound coming out of Arbhar.
With FX AID some reverb algorithms worked while others didn’t.
Note: this is using Arbhar in stereo mode (with hard panning). It‘s all fine when using only the left output where the signal is only mono.
Jason is aware of is and says this may have to do with the way Arbhar processes and outputs audio (phase reversal on one channel, etc.).

In his long video he mentions that Arbhar‘s reverb is meant as a bonus for small systems were there might not be a separate reverb module.
This is a bit of a conundrum for those who DO want to use a separate reverb after Arbhar, only to discover it won‘t work.
Let‘s see how this develops and if Jason finds a way around this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas for a solution?
first, put some negative voltage in mod, for some nice pan spread :tu:
then, take one output form arbhar, invert it and then put it with the other output signal in mimeophon for instance
phase gone, rockin on
:sb:

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:34 am

fjoesz wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:48 am

first, put some negative voltage in mod, for some nice pan spread :tu:
then, take one output form arbhar, invert it and then put it with the other output signal in mimeophon for instance
phase gone, rockin on
:sb:
Nice, I’ll try that.
But, Mimeophon actually works fine with Arbhar in stereo mode. I forgot to mention that.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:17 am

I’ve heard a lot about phasing issues with Arbhar in stereo, but I don’t understand it (I’m new to modular). Why was Arbhar designed to output stereo this way if it causes so many problems? These issues don’t exist with other stereo modules, right?

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:41 am

The issue is more of an artifact than a design from what I understand.

One way to get rid of the issue is to use the arbhar in wet only as the phase reversal only affects the dry sound.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:01 pm

wet only gives out of phase signals as well

just invert one side

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:40 pm

I just read the following in the History of the Lexer Method section of the manual:

The fundamental approach for arbhar utilises granulation techniques on audio captured in real-time in response to the sounds produced by the acoustic instrument or sound source. Playing back multiple instances of grains which are out of phase with one another to create the illusion that the sound is continuous. As few as eight grains of approximately 80ms length are sufficient to create convincing results retaining an acoustic resemblance to the original.

So I guess this quirk is fundamental to this method of granular synthesis?

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:33 am

Got it yesterday after the package took an unscheduled tour of the Central Valley.

First patch with whimsy guitar improv repitched in harmonic ratios by o_c with some additional modulation of scan and spray.

fywzheng
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fywzheng » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Anybody heard anything from Detroit Modular for Arbhar preorders?

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:39 pm

Copying support email I just sent to Jason. Anyone else experiencing this?
Hi, I found a bug in the Arbhar.

I'm using a gate sequencer to trigger the strike input to fire grains rhythmically and constantly which works great for the first 20-30 minutes the Arbhar is powered on but then the output develops a constant crackle which does not go away until the Arbhar is power cycled. Resetting/ changing/ rerecording/ deleting buffers does nothing to solve this problem and only power cycling works, though this is not a practical solution for live performance.

Do you know what might be causing this and if a firmware fix is possible?

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 am

fywzheng wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm
I’m going to email today - not a peep and preordered December.

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:14 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 am
fywzheng wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm
I’m going to email today - not a peep and preordered December.
Trump is restricting all cargo travel between the US and Europe as of this Friday (03/13/20)-- if it's not in the country by then, it might be impacted...
--

Sync

Return to “Eurorack Modules”