Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by corbetta » Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 am

Personally I love the reverb—both the wet-only implementation with negative voltages, for hazy, blurry, distant backdrops (not a huge fan of shimmer in general but it’s a nice option to have), and sending gates to the positive side to freeze bits of audio in the reverb without it getting out of hand.

Here’s some subtle wet-only arbhar verb:

And here’s some frozen/not frozen verb (this was done by riding an offset knob but it could be done with gates or envelopes too)

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 am

Ok cool, thanks for that
nrg242 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:53 pm
adg672 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:23 am
Anyone else getting triggers being dropped on the external input? Some Turing machine pulses not registered for example.
i was having the same issue using triggers from my Sapel. below is my convo with Instruo about it:

ME: Lastly, is there a minimum trigger length for the Strike input? it doesn't respond to triggers from my Sapel but Planar and Marbles (even at shortest gate length), seem to work fine.

INSTRUO: Trigger length is a generally undefined standard in modular. Theoretically a trigger should be a unipolar positive pulse with effectively no duration. In practice it is becoming more common for a trigger to be anywhere from around 10ms up to 30 or 40ms. Digital modules are a reason for trigger’s requiring a slightly longer duration. Analogue modules will often respond immediately to a rising edge, but digital modules will always have some form of subroutine testing on a GPIO pin that is either scanning at a particular internal clock frequency, or utilising a hardware interrupt.
As you have experiences, some modules’ triggers are working as you’d expect where some do not. This will be a case by case situation. There are methods of elongating triggers where necessary. My Cèis envelope can function as a gate to trigger and trigger to gate utility for these exact cases.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Sun May 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Fri May 29, 2020 12:02 pm

anton414 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:12 pm
Thx for the answer! This much I get but I have no idea what module to use that puts out a steady CV. Like I said it seems like it would be super easy but I have no idea how to achieve this. I feel kinda stupid :))
If you're still wondering about this, my solution might be worth considering-- I already had a Happy Nerding 3x MIA, and use that. It's a relatively skinny and inexpensive module but can be used in a variety of ways so it constitutes a really handy utility module. It has 3 attenuator/offset channels which can be used as an attenuator, a constant voltage, an attenuator+offset, a mixer, and the outputs can be connected so it can operate as an up to 6 input mixer. For a simple adjustable voltage, you only need one of its channels for something like the Arbhar, so the other two are available for other uses.
--

Sync

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sat May 30, 2020 11:23 am

Had fun with this one, nice crunchy edges

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Does anyone else notices noise from the leds of the Arbhar? I’ve been trying to minimize it and it’s definitely an eminently useable module, but I can hear some whining/buzzing with say intensity all the way down and the level controls pushed up. Just curious if it was “dead silent” for anyone in that config so I don’t go chasing noise gremlins...

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Sat May 30, 2020 2:12 pm

:sstorm:
corbetta wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 pm
Does anyone else notices noise from the leds of the Arbhar? I’ve been trying to minimize it and it’s definitely an eminently useable module, but I can hear some whining/buzzing with say intensity all the way down and the level controls pushed up. Just curious if it was “dead silent” for anyone in that config so I don’t go chasing noise gremlins...
Haven’t noticed this myself.

EDIT: don’t know how the poop deflector emoticon got there, gonna keep it :D

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sat May 30, 2020 3:52 pm

corbetta wrote:
input gain could have a factor, it does have the ability to soft clip nicely so if you've captured some noise floor that could be your issue?

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Sat May 30, 2020 7:30 pm

MossGarden wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:52 pm
corbetta wrote:
input gain could have a factor, it does have the ability to soft clip nicely so if you've captured some noise floor that could be your issue?
nah, it exhibits the same behavior with empty buffers as well. I think it's a ground/common issue, since it's more apparent when connecting to external speakers or other gear. Iso transformer on the audio path helps a fair bit too.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 am

corbetta wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:30 pm
MossGarden wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:52 pm
corbetta wrote:
nah, it exhibits the same behavior with empty buffers as well. I think it's a ground/common issue, since it's more apparent when connecting to external speakers or other gear. Iso transformer on the audio path helps a fair bit too.
My Arbhar is fairly noisy when it is fully dry (even with input gain fully CCW), but becomes silent at fully wet. However, I’m actually just about to return it partially because of this noise, but mostly because the in-built microphone is extremely noisy - unusable. I spent a week trying to figure out what could be causing the noise without success. I see there is a LED directly beside the microphone - maybe that is the source of my noise...

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm

xxeyes wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 am
... the in-built microphone is extremely noisy - unusable. I spent a week trying to figure out what could be causing the noise without success. I see there is a LED directly beside the microphone - maybe that is the source of my noise...
Just saw this post just now. I am wondering whether you have contacted Instruo about this? If you can, send a video to give us an indication what might go -or be- wrong. The microphone is obviously only an additional feature that was included to the arbhar to capture some close sounds. It should work well if you have your sound source approximately 10cm away. It certainly cannot replace proper microphones/pickups and pre-amps to capture instruments.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:32 pm

slexer wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm
xxeyes wrote:
... the in-built microphone is extremely noisy - unusable. I spent a week trying to figure out what could be causing the noise without success. I see there is a LED directly beside the microphone - maybe that is the source of my noise...
Just saw this post just now. I am wondering whether you have contacted Instruo about this? If you can, send a video to give us an indication what might go -or be- wrong. The microphone is obviously only an additional feature that was included to the arbhar to capture some close sounds. It should work well if you have your sound source approximately 10cm away. It certainly cannot replace proper microphones/pickups and pre-amps to capture instruments.
Yes, I have been in communication with Jason at Instruo and I sent him an audio recording of the noise I am experiencing. I am sending my Arbhar for him to service/repair. There is definitely something wrong with my Arbhar (or perhaps my setup, but I don’t think so as none of my other modules, including Morphagene have noise issues). The noise is considerably louder than what I have heard in YouTube videos that demonstrate the microphone. I can’t record my Natural speaking voice from 10 cm away without audible noise, no matter what configuration of input/output gain I use and the noise increases considerably as I raise the input gain. The noise reduces significantly to usable levels with something plugged into the input jack (though I would consider even this level of noise to be high) and is unaffected by the input gain, so my issues must have something to do with the microphone. With the W/D knob fully wet, the noise disappears completely if the buffers are empty. Noise picked up in a recording would remain, of course.

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:15 pm

xxeyes wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:32 pm
slexer wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm
xxeyes wrote:
Yes, I have been in communication with Jason at Instruo and I sent him an audio recording of the noise I am experiencing. I am sending my Arbhar for him to service/repair. There is definitely something wrong with my Arbhar (or perhaps my setup, but I don’t think so as none of my other modules, including Morphagene have noise issues). The noise is considerably louder than what I have heard in YouTube videos that demonstrate the microphone. I can’t record my Natural speaking voice from 10 cm away without audible noise, no matter what configuration of input/output gain I use and the noise increases considerably as I raise the input gain. The noise reduces significantly to usable levels with something plugged into the input jack (though I would consider even this level of noise to be high) and is unaffected by the input gain, so my issues must have something to do with the microphone. With the W/D knob fully wet, the noise disappears completely if the buffers are empty. Noise picked up in a recording would remain, of course.
Good, sorry. I did not know you are going to send it in to us to check the input channel. I just wanted to make sure you had contacted us if what I've written above would not apply to your module.

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:36 am

any word on the new firmware update release??

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Noise update: I think it's a power-related issue in my case. With the Arbhar plugged straight into my audio interface, with nothing else connected to the bus board, it's dead quiet. Now to solve it!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”