Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by aphex2000 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:19 pm

How sensitive is your onset detection with the onboard mic? Mine when just slightly moved up triggers on the tiniest noise, eg when i touch a cable or press a button.

I tried extreme settings on the Mic Preamp trimmer but that didnt help much.

Ptbarnum
Common Wiggler

Post by Ptbarnum » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Ptbarnum wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:19 am
morgve wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 pm
Thanks for letting me know! I wrote to them, let's see.
Get an answer? It’s happening with mine Now as well
Instruo got back to me, quickly, with a calibration procedure that fixed me right up :tu:

morgve
Common Wiggler

Post by morgve » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Ptbarnum wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm
Ptbarnum wrote:
morgve wrote:
Instruo got back to me, quickly, with a calibration procedure that fixed me right up :tu:
Oh nice! No they didn't write back yet. In fact I'm starting to think my message didn't go through, I got no confirmation whatsoever after submitting the form.

Any chance you could let me/us know how you fixed that? Many thanks!

Ptbarnum
Common Wiggler

Post by Ptbarnum » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:50 pm

morgve wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:32 pm
Ptbarnum wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm
Ptbarnum wrote:
morgve wrote:
Oh nice! No they didn't write back yet. In fact I'm starting to think my message didn't go through, I got no confirmation whatsoever after submitting the form.

Any chance you could let me/us know how you fixed that? Many thanks!
They sent a video describing the process, not too hard, but I don’t want to give you inaccurate instructions. I’d resend the email, they got back to me in a couple hours

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:38 am

Does anyone else find that the dry signal is much much quieter than the wet output? I’m sure it was more evenly matched when I first got the module but now when I monitor a dry signal with dry/wet fully CCW it sounds super quiet...if I record in at this seemingly low volume then the grains it spits out are super loud (not distorted as far as I can tell, just much much louder)

Is this the same for other people or have I got an issue?
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am

Carrousel wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:38 am
Does anyone else find that the dry signal is much much quieter than the wet output? I’m sure it was more evenly matched when I first got the module but now when I monitor a dry signal with dry/wet fully CCW it sounds super quiet...if I record in at this seemingly low volume then the grains it spits out are super loud (not distorted as far as I can tell, just much much louder)

Is this the same for other people or have I got an issue?
I’ve notice that occasionally and it has to do with the phase selection option. Switch the phase around (by holding down shift+capture and turn hold all the way to either extreme) and it will be back to normal. Not sure if it’s a bug or intended behavior; it seems to happen to me when I push shift+capture to change some other setting, and if the hold parameter is fully CW (it usually is) then the phase switch is registered as well. I’ve since begun keeping hold at less than max to try and avoid that, but I haven’t really tested it thoroughly.

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 am

corbetta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am
I’ve notice that occasionally and it has to do with the phase selection option. Switch the phase around (by holding down shift+capture and turn hold all the way to either extreme) and it will be back to normal. Not sure if it’s a bug or intended behavior; it seems to happen to me when I push shift+capture to change some other setting, and if the hold parameter is fully CW (it usually is) then the phase switch is registered as well. I’ve since begun keeping hold at less than max to try and avoid that, but I haven’t really tested it thoroughly.
I've taken a note of this and investigate. It should not happen in the scenario you describe, so, yes, it's probably a bug. Thanks!

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:02 pm

corbetta wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am

Amazing, this fixed the issue...thanks so much!

I think I remember reading something about what that setting does in terms of changing how the stereo output works. So I guess it’s somehow having the unintended consequence of phase cancelling the dry input?

Glad to have fixed it anyway. I’ve only used the mono output so far, haven’t experimented with stereo at all.
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Using the microphone to record your live playing patch straight back in, perhaps with a few scrapes and taps on the faceplate for added glitch is just :mygod: :clap:

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:55 am

Does latching mode for capture gate input work? Mine works only for momentary.
Hold shift + capture and moving dub knob fully clockwise, correct?
Each time capture input gets trig signal, it blinks white. That's it.

Can you make layer's duration something other than 10 seconds? What would you do if you need only 3 seconds?

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:46 am

gummyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:55 am
Can you make layer's duration something other than 10 seconds? What would you do if you need only 3 seconds?
With onset detection you can use the hold parameter to determine how long the capture is.

If you manually trigger capture you could time your gate to release after 3 seconds; or use two triggers if you can figure out the latching issue you’re having. I’ve been able to get it to work both via the config file and the control panel (make sure you leave the dub knob fully up until you release the capture+shift buttons; also, if you then turn dub fully down and change another setting by holding shift+cap, I suspect the trigger setting may revert to gate).

Recording always starts at the beginning of the buffer. You can then use a combination of scan/spray/length to ensure your playback occurs only from the first 1/3 of the buffer length.

aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 am

Variable length would be nice indeed, e.g. stop capture and that would define the length until erased.
I often don't need 10 (or rather 12 seconds) of buffer and then have to manually control spray and the range of scan CV to not dig into the empty part of the buffer. But i guess it would be tricky to still get a sensible experience across the 6 buffers if they would all differ in length so i can understand the decision.

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:40 am

aphex2000 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 am
Variable length would be nice indeed, e.g. stop capture and that would define the length until erased.
I often don't need 10 (or rather 12 seconds) of buffer and then have to manually control spray and the range of scan CV to not dig into the empty part of the buffer.

But i guess it would be tricky to still get a sensible experience across the 6 buffers if they would all differ in length so i can understand the decision.
Yes.. I agree for both opinions

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:53 pm

Just updated to 1.6b. Given I read the issue about losing the buffers, I exported them first, and verified in my computer that they were there-- copied them over in order to save them, just in case. I did notice, that every time I put the USB stick back into my computer, my Windows pc thinks the files on the stick may not have been saved properly and asks me if I should scan it for errors. Initially I didn't tell it to scan the files, but I tried it both ways. The first attempt to export, I tried to export each of the 6 layers individually. Only the first file actually saved any data, it did create some of the other layer files, as I recall, 5 out of the 6, but only the first one was complete, all the rest were zero length and the last one was missing completely. Only when I did the export on the Omega layer did I get everything. It definately appears that powering down the module can leave files incomplete. Is there some action you have to take after doing an export to insure the file data has been flushed to the stick? Seems to me, it would not be too uncommon for someone to do an export and then right away power the module down so they can retrieve the stick and do something with the files.

So then I updated, and that part worked fine. New config file is now there (previously I was on the original 1.5 release).

Then, I go to the instructions on how to import, and first of all, the instructions are confusing. Says put them into the _toConvert folder on the USB stick. Ok, fine. Then, it makes an odd comment that, "converted files will appear in the _userfiles folder." But THEN it says, remove the stick from the computer. Ok, but what was it that was supposed to create converted files in the _userfiles folder? All I did was move files into _toConvert, it doesn't tell me to run anything on the computer to do any conversion into _userfiles, so that is either missing some information or is non-sequitur at that point.

But I continue. Then with the files in _toConvert, put the USB stick back into the Arbhar and power it up. I then try to do the load by shift-strike. It's not clear here what layer should be selected. If I'm on layer alpha, just holding down the shift button causes the strike button to pulse white. I hold it down, nothing changes, and nothing gets imported. If I'm on any other layer, the strike button stays dark, and holding it down, again, nothing changes, and nothing gets imported.

So I move the files into _userfiles and try it, with the same results. I fiddle with it some more, at times shift will cause the Strike button to pulse yellow, sometimes white, never seems to load anything.

So finally, I tried moving the set of files to ALL 3 folders, _to_Convert, _userfiles and _usersaved. At first, the alpha layer Strike button is pulsing yellow with shift. Beta layer is pulsing white, so I hold strike down, and it acts like it did something. Sure enough, it finally loaded the layer. I load all the other layers but Alpha, and finally figure out that the alpha layer had gotten something recorded in it while I was fiddling, so I used the erase to clear it out, and was finally able to get that loaded too.

Conclusion-- the instructions on import are confusing and mostly incorrect. Even in the 1.6b release notes say to put import files in the _toConvert folder, when it looks to me I had to put them in the _usersaved folder to make it work. And, it might have been helpful to suggest that before you do an import into a buffer you should erase it first. Figured it out, but was a bit of a pain to get there, trying every possible combination before achieving success...

But then, I figured I'd go back and try the export again. Started with all three of the folders on the stick empty. Fired up the Arbhar. All layers are making sounds. Went through the export of each layer one at a time, and all behaved the same-- shift-capture causes the strike button to go white, then holding it down causes it to turn yellow after a moment. Appears to be saving. But... then checking the stick on the computer, the Alpha layer file is there and complete, but only the next three layer files are there, and they're all zero length. Layers 5 & 6 don't even have files there. Export of individual files doesn't seem to be working. Seems to me, the best time to do a file flush to disk would be at the end of the export process, but it's pretty clear that isn't guaranteed...
--

Sync

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:14 am

Sync wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:53 pm
Conclusion-- the instructions on import are confusing and mostly incorrect. Even in the 1.6b release notes say to put import files in the _toConvert folder, when it looks to me I had to put them in the _usersaved folder to make it work. And, it might have been helpful to suggest that before you do an import into a buffer you should erase it first. Figured it out, but was a bit of a pain to get there, trying every possible combination before achieving success...
There is an update of the arbhar manual. https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... -1.6.a.pdf

The procedure has changed between the 1.5 and 1.6 firmware as problems with the export and import features were traced down to some inconsistencies we experienced. In the process the new firmware (1.6) is now only using the folders _toConvert and _usersaved on the USB stick, files placed in the _toConvert folder are available for importing into the layers (first six files in alphabetical order are available for the six layers (first into layer 1, second into layer 2 etc. )
Exported files will appear in the _usersaved folder, incrementing file count, so previous exported files will not be overwritten. Files in this folder will not be available to be imported into the arbhar, those files can only be accessed when the USB stick is inserted into a computer.

The loading sequence is indeed only working on an empty layer, we've intensionally done this to avoid accidental exchange of material in the layers during a performance since there would be no additional 'okay'/'cancel' stage when the button combination would be pressed unintentionally. Although the manual mentioned in the Save/Load section that "loading a saved recording from memory after it has been erased", I definitely can see that this should be made clearer. I'll see that the documentation will be reworded for this.

Also note that the folder _userfiles is now obsolete and can be deleted.

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:41 pm

slexer wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:14 am
There is an update of the arbhar manual. https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... -1.6.a.pdf

The procedure has changed between the 1.5 and 1.6 firmware as problems with the export and import features were traced down to some inconsistencies we experienced. In the process the new firmware (1.6) is now only using the folders _toConvert and _usersaved on the USB stick, files placed in the _toConvert folder are available for importing into the layers (first six files in alphabetical order are available for the six layers (first into layer 1, second into layer 2 etc. )
Exported files will appear in the _usersaved folder, incrementing file count, so previous exported files will not be overwritten. Files in this folder will not be available to be imported into the arbhar, those files can only be accessed when the USB stick is inserted into a computer.

The loading sequence is indeed only working on an empty layer, we've intensionally done this to avoid accidental exchange of material in the layers during a performance since there would be no additional 'okay'/'cancel' stage when the button combination would be pressed unintentionally. Although the manual mentioned in the Save/Load section that "loading a saved recording from memory after it has been erased", I definitely can see that this should be made clearer. I'll see that the documentation will be reworded for this.

Also note that the folder _userfiles is now obsolete and can be deleted.
I was able to figure most of this out, good that you're updating the documentation-- and I didn't know there was an update to it already (though BTW, in the new version there's a reference to page 33 on page 34 that now should be referencing page 36).

But the most concerning aspect is the fact that the individual layer export didn't seem to be saving all of the files completely when I went through them one at a time. Fortunately, the Omega layer export is a workaround, but if you don't know that it could result in some lost buffer data...
--

Sync

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 am

Sync wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:41 pm
But the most concerning aspect is the fact that the individual layer export didn't seem to be saving all of the files completely when I went through them one at a time. Fortunately, the Omega layer export is a workaround, but if you don't know that it could result in some lost buffer data...
Would you email me a video and maybe the files from the _usersaved folder to the support email of Instruo?

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:01 am

I sent the files to support@instruomodular.com. If that's not the correct address, let me know and I'll resend. Just importing these individually, then clearing out the USB stick, and then exporting them back to the stick, should show the problem, at least it does on mine. The USB stick I used was the one that was supplied with the module.

Whups-- the email bounced, that must not be the right address-- the only other one I know of is info@instruomodular.com-- is that the one I should use?
--

Sync

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:46 am

Sync wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:01 am
Whups-- the email bounced, that must not be the right address-- the only other one I know of is info@instruomodular.com-- is that the one I should use?
Yes, please.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”