Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by xxeyes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:37 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:32 pm
xxeyes wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:40 pm
I understand from other users that I should be able to play field recordings from my phone directly into Arbhar. However, I'm confused as to why Jason runs his guitar through a preamp in the instructional video. If the built-in gain controls can handle line level, should they not also be sufficient for instruments? I want to make sure I won't need a separate preamp module before I purchase Arbhar, as space is very tight.

Whatever the answer is to my question above, this is probably taking it a bit far, but can the built-in preamp bring a contact microphone up to modular level?
Guitars and microphones don't output line level, so both would require a preamp. My Arbhar needed a quick trip back to Glasgow--must have been homesick, so I can't test it with phone output, but I do have the Lubadh, and I think it has the same input stage (minus the onset detection). I'll test my iPhone with it and report back. "Line level" can also vary a lot.
Thanks, that's kind of you. I would appreciate it!

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:51 pm

xxeyes wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:25 pm
cranleigh wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:15 pm
A guitar gives a much lower-level signal than a line level device like a synth so it makes sense that he'd need a pre for it.
Thanks, that makes sense. However, I didn't convey my confusion properly in my first post. I would presume the built-in microphone is mic level, which is the lowest-level signal, so the gain controls should be able to handle anything, no?
I don't know how the actual signal path of the input stages is designed and executed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the onboard microphone had its own fixed-gain preamplifier stage "upstream" from the onset analysis and recording inputs, to avoid issues with coloration, fidelity, and overall gain-staging with different types of inputs (considering the pretty wide signal level discrepancy between "line" and Synth level).

So the internal microphone is bumped up to line level internally, but the onset/external inputs don't go through the same amplification circuit, meaning that instrument sources require external preamplification. That also would allow you to switch sources without dealing with issues with gain level (i.e. if you had to crank the gain up for the electret microphone, then switched to a synth source, the signal would probably clip)

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:58 pm

corbetta wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:51 pm
xxeyes wrote:
cranleigh wrote:
A guitar gives a much lower-level signal than a line level device like a synth so it makes sense that he'd need a pre for it.
Thanks, that makes sense. However, I didn't convey my confusion properly in my first post. I would presume the built-in microphone is mic level, which is the lowest-level signal, so the gain controls should be able to handle anything, no?
I don't know how the actual signal path of the input stages is designed and executed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the onboard microphone had its own fixed-gain preamplifier stage "upstream" from the onset analysis and recording inputs, to avoid issues with coloration, fidelity, and overall gain-staging with different types of inputs (considering the pretty wide signal level discrepancy between "line" and Synth level).

So the internal microphone is bumped up to line level internally, but the onset/external inputs don't go through the same amplification circuit, meaning that instrument sources require external preamplification. That also would allow you to switch sources without dealing with issues with gain level (i.e. if you had to crank the gain up for the electret microphone, then switched to a synth source, the signal would probably clip)
Ah, I see; that's logical. Thanks for the explanation.

nmramchandani
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nmramchandani » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:44 pm

In the case of summing stereo recordings from a phone directly into the Arbhar's mono input, would you all advise using a simple stereo to mono cable like the Hosa CMP-103, or is there a better solution?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:20 pm

Just tested out my iPhone directly into Lubadh, and with the iPhone volume and Lubadh input gain cranked up, the output was plenty hot. I used the Apple lightning to 1/8" adapter with a normal patch cable between the iPhone and the Lubadh input. If I was using the iPhone as a source, I don't think it's necessary to have an intermediate preamplifier.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:47 pm

Great news! Thank you very much, hovercraft!

nmramchandani
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nmramchandani » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:53 pm

Aren’t you losing the entire right side of a stereo track if you just use a regular patch cable from your iPhone?

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:44 pm

nmramchandani wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:53 pm
Aren’t you losing the entire right side of a stereo track if you just use a regular patch cable from your iPhone?
you can switch your phone audio playback to mono through the accessibility settings (same for laptops, btw)

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:24 pm

Wow-- AWESOME demo... I'll be drooling over it until mine arrives...
corbetta wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:52 pm
dunno if folks have seen this but it's a nice demo of the follow/time stretch mode

--

Sync

gran_syth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gran_syth » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:23 am

Thought this might be of interest to some here. :yay:
I love the idea of a miniature case!

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 am

I'm planning out my first modular system and I have an Arbhar on order. Can someone advise what I need to control the HOLD parameter on the expander? I presume I could just use one of the four outputs of Maths (with no input required), correct? However, it would be a shame to waste part of Maths on this, so I'm trying to figure out what else I could add to my system to do this and serve other needed functions. Could I use any bi-polar VCA output, with no input signal or CV - just plug the VCA output into the HOLD jack and adjust the parameter with the attenuverter on the VCA? The VCA I plan to use is the Happy Nerding 3x VCA:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-3x-vca

Thanks in advance!

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:17 pm

gran_syth wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:23 am
Thought this might be of interest to some here. :yay:
I love the idea of a miniature case!

What is the "keyboard" do-dad that is being used there?
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48 pm

How/where are people getting their Arbhar's? I've had mine on pre-order at Perfect Circuit for nearly 3 months now, without so much as an update concerning an ETA. Has any hit the USA yet at all?
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:54 pm

r05c03 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:17 pm
What is the "keyboard" do-dad that is being used there?
https://sensel.com/pages/the-sensel-morph

Alas, no direct CV out, so you need some sort of MIDI-to-CV converter.
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Innerself2007
Common Wiggler

Post by Innerself2007 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm

VanEck wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48 pm
How/where are people getting their Arbhar's? I've had mine on pre-order at Perfect Circuit for nearly 3 months now, without so much as an update concerning an ETA. Has any hit the USA yet at all?
That sucks, I preordered from Control in Brooklyn and received mine a few weeks ago. So they are in the U.S.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:02 pm

VanEck wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48 pm
just my personal experience but pre-ordering anything from PC has always been the longest wait...

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm

Perfect Circuit shipped mine today :omg:

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:50 am

drxcm wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm
Perfect Circuit shipped mine today :omg:
Yeah oddly enough, a couple hours after I posted about this, I got a shipping notification. Weird timing lol.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Love my Arbhar... Very straight forward, inspiring and musical. The led strip is genius, and I keep on discovering new ways to use the module.

Anyone experienced any troubles with CV control? Today it seemed like a quarter of the time it was not registering the CV change from a sequencer for length and start position.
I'm pretty sure the cable and connections were alright.
As if it had too much to do to keep on registering CVs?Jumps to new static values were not always recognised. I like to sequence to specific starting points.
If I started to provide a moving CV, that was registered more easily. Maybe add some slew to overcome!?

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:20 am

In the meantime I started sequencing the layers, which was more stable. Ended up with this recording, Arbhar taking care of the chord-like, breathing, granularry backdrop, with which the track starts

https://soundcloud.com/dob/dobular-1

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anton414 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:15 am

corbetta wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:51 pm
xxeyes wrote:
cranleigh wrote:

There is a gain knob on the back of the module for the microphone preamp level, it's very small but u can turn it with a small screwdriver!

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anton414 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:47 am

Btw does anyone know if it's possible to clock the intensity parameter?

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:58 am

anton414 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:47 am
You can turn intensity down and clock the "strike" (is it called that?) input. Next to "capture".
From the top of my head, your can trigger 20 extra grains like that, next to the grains that stem from intensity.
Also, you can mix these.
I use this a lot, to have grains play in sync with the rest.

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anton414 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 am

Dob wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:58 am
anton414 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:47 am
You can turn intensity down and clock the "strike" (is it called that?) input. Next to "capture".
From the top of my head, your can trigger 20 extra grains like that, next to the grains that stem from intensity.
Also, you can mix these.
I use this a lot, to have grains play in sync with the rest.
Yeah I do that too, control the strike with my Marbles, would be cool to be able to make the intensity sync and burst to the clock tho!

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anton414 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:19 am

I mean it's easy with the Marbles, I guess I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”