Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by digidandy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:37 am

I know this may be hard to believe, but it seems Trump said something that was wrong.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... 028734002/
My latest release, including vinyl!

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:43 am

digidandy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:37 am
I know this may be hard to believe, but it seems Trump said something that was wrong.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... 028734002/

I guess I'm not surprised--- thanks for the clarification...
--

Sync

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:20 am

Cargo is not affected I think.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 am

just an observation here about the strike input. 2ms triggers from Sapel seem to not activate strike as expected so i'm using Stages to convert to gates. T outputs from Marbles work as expected even when shortening the gate length to their shortest (hold button and turn down Bias CCW).

Arbhar manual says that the strike input accepts both triggers and gates so not sure exactly what the cutoff is for an appropriate trigger length.

agreed with whats been said about the intensity knob. even vs random distribution seems less useful than having the ability to just fire off a few grains sporadically (without having to turn them off completely and rely on strike).

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:42 am

Whatisvalis wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 am
fywzheng wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm
Anybody heard anything from Detroit Modular for Arbhar preorders?
I’m going to email today - not a peep and preordered December.
EDIT

Just heard from Dan - understandable things are mess at the moment. Arbhars due this week and Lubadh maybe a few more weeks later.

Now I just need recover from Covid and figure out a way back home to the US.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:44 pm

Did anybody find how or if you can record chunks shorter than 10 seconds?

I find with arbhar, i record some small sounds, with quite a bit silence in the buffer/recording. The module seems to have problems staying on the sounds in these situations, and often plays silence, even though spray is zero.

E.g. I find a sound with the search wheel, it plays for a bit, brrp brrp, and then it kind of skips a microsecond and i have to find the sound again.
Would be better if i could just set the whole buffer as one second or whatever i record.

Edit: Instruo actually got back to me on this one and seems there could be some firmware updates incoming to change the behavior a bit. Exciting :)
Last edited by Besfar on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:42 am
Whatisvalis wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 am
fywzheng wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm
Anybody heard anything from Detroit Modular for Arbhar preorders?
I’m going to email today - not a peep and preordered December.
EDIT

Just heard from Dan - understandable things are mess at the moment. Arbhars due this week and Lubadh maybe a few more weeks later.

Now I just need recover from Covid and figure out a way back home to the US.
I hope you're kidding with that last sentence... :eek:
--

Sync

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 am

Unfortunately not, although I couldn’t get tested. I developed symptoms after being in Europe. Good news is my chest feels a lot better!

And DM shipped out my order yesterday.

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:21 am

Whatisvalis wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 am
Unfortunately not, although I couldn’t get tested. I developed symptoms after being in Europe. Good news is my chest feels a lot better!
I hope you feel better very soon!

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 am

And DM shipped out my order yesterday.
Just got my tracking email from USPS, it's in their hands so mines on the way too.
--

Sync

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:44 pm

1.5.4b is the current firmware. But I don't see any way to know what my version is, or any changelog.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:03 pm

As far as I know there is only 1 firmware thats installed, you can check it by pulling the microsd card on the back and mounting it on your computer

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:49 pm

drxcm wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:03 pm
As far as I know there is only 1 firmware thats installed, you can check it by pulling the microsd card on the back and mounting it on your computer
WIll do, thanks.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Just received mine today from PC! It is already so much fun to use! Took me a little while to realize that the built in mic can be much hotter than anything taken in at line level. (Of course the mic is very useful to have, and quickly accessible!)

chewysoap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chewysoap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:19 pm

Just got my arbhar today, I seem to have been shipped a wrong expander... input jacks are labeled as "length start time erase" same for the bottom 4 inputs. My guess is this was for the lubadh? Has this happened to anyone else? Can using this expander to cv control (referencing the brochure) damage the arbhar?

I seem to be unlucky getting modules, also got shipped a defective switchblade last month :(

Appreciate any info :)

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:48 pm

chewysoap wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:19 pm
Just got my arbhar today, I seem to have been shipped a wrong expander... input jacks are labeled as "length start time erase" same for the bottom 4 inputs. My guess is this was for the lubadh? Has this happened to anyone else? Can using this expander to cv control (referencing the brochure) damage the arbhar?

I seem to be unlucky getting modules, also got shipped a defective switchblade last month :(

Please confirm with Jason, but I believe the expanders are identical. Pretty sure if you unscrew the jack nuts, you can flip the panel and you'll see the Arbhar labels.

chewysoap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chewysoap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:48 pm
chewysoap wrote:

Please confirm with Jason, but I believe the expanders are identical. Pretty sure if you unscrew the jack nuts, you can flip the panel and you'll see the Arbhar labels.

I pulled it out of my rack and I can see the arbhar labels on the back side of the panel (upside down)! phew :) Do I need a special tool for loosening jack nuts? Also I am hesitating to flip the panel because the guidance on the orientation of the ribbon cable in the quickstart guide is based on the labeling on the front panel, making it potentially confusing haha

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 am

A quick demo of the “acoustic drone” process outlined in the Arbhar manual. I LOVE this thing.

chewysoap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chewysoap » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:34 pm

chewysoap wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 pm
Hovercraft wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:48 pm
chewysoap wrote:

I pulled it out of my rack and I can see the arbhar labels on the back side of the panel (upside down)! phew :) Do I need a special tool for loosening jack nuts? Also I am hesitating to flip the panel because the guidance on the orientation of the ribbon cable in the quickstart guide is based on the labeling on the front panel, making it potentially confusing haha

Just an update. Jason and Sebastian got back to me (through contact email and muffwiggler respectively) and confirmed that the module is the same for the lubadh, and it was just a matter of flipping the face plate. I just loosened the brass nuts, flipped it and voila. If this happens to you just make sure that "When the cable is attached, the red stripe side must match the bottom of the faceplate." so you have it on the right way.

I will also note that they offered to send me a replacement expander, even if this was a very minor issue with a really easy DIY fix. Fantastic module and really great people over at Instruo.

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:01 am

Switched my Arbhar to reverb 'mode' for the first time and I'm blown away - what a beautiful, lush reverb. Curious to know what modes other people are using and how!

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:04 am

Rings pattern into Arbhar throughout, triggering the record and playback with Metron (flurked the live video so... CAT COLLAGE LOOP) -

music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:11 pm

I had intended to comment as soon as my Arbhar arrived, have had it a couple of weeks now, but I was also digesting what it did and how it works and what I think of it.

I'm a big fan of Clouds, to the extent I actually have three of them. And in fact, Clouds is what pushed me over the edge to go into Eurorack. I'd worked with modular since the 1970s with an Arp 2600, but didn't feel the need for an equivalent system or to expand it, so I had been avoiding Eurorack because it seemed like it could be a money pit. Well, now that I've gotten into it, it is that, but at this point I think it's worth it. The thing is, modern modules have come a long way since the 2600, and Clouds helped me to realize that. I've also got a Nebulae V2, so granular is an area of particular interest.

So when Arbhar came out I was interested as it seemed like was its own take on a Clouds-like module. And that's to a large extent true.

Once the Arbhar was in my rack, I recognized many of the features as nearly the same as Clouds, and at first, tried using it like I do Clouds, which is most often as an effects module. With Arbhar though, it seemed not as instantly useful, and needed something extra to coax good things out of it. For a moment, it looked like it might be a less-useful Clouds. But it turns out that was only a momentary feeling.

Now I'm seeing it as a Clouds that provides more explicit access to modulation capabilities.

The most noticable difference is the fact the buffer is larger and there are more of them. Clouds has the ability to store up to 4 buffers, but switching between them really isn't a performance feature, and in fact is not a feature I use much anymore (I did at first, but have not found it that useful lately).

While you wouldn't think the buffer length between the two would make that much difference, but combined with the visual feedback of where the playback is coming from at all times, this turns out to be pretty huge. It also is for the most part, why I struggled a bit at first to get good stuff out of it. And while you can constantly re-trigger the buffer record, I'm finding it's forte is more to stick with a fixed buffer after you record something interesting-- where you can explore it and manipulate it in more detail. The visual feedback really helps to know where in the buffer good stuff is happening so you can focus on it.

What's important to note is you need to feed Arbhar with something that has some changes going on, sampling a too-constant drone isn't going to be as interesting because wherever you are in the buffer it sounds too similar and I think you'll get the best out of it if there's stuff going on in that buffer that you can CV around in or tweak the position knob if you want to do it manually. I also found that rather than just letting it loop through the buffer or bounce around through the entire thing randomly, feeding it a CV to do the buffer scan, allows you to control how it hits those sweet spots. I suppose one could do the same with Clouds by using a CV on the Position control, but I've never found the need to do that, probably because the buffer isn't that big-- might be worth experimenting more sometime, but Arbhar's capabilities in that regard are certainly a different take and I'm finding it a welcome one.

There's a few minor nits I could pick with Arbhar. One is, the contact mic doesn't do a thing for me. If I want to pick up ambient sound I'd sooner feed an external mic into it where I can position it how I want. But I don't have to use it, so that one's particularly minor, but I would have rather they used the space to put the USB port on the front so you don't have to take it out of the rack to swap USB sticks in and out. Another is the fact you have to feed it a voltage to turn the reverb/delay on via the expander. Doable, but a little annoying. And lastly, the fact you have to pull it out of the rack to change the hardware configuration or swap-in or out a USB stick, is also doable, but annoying. As I said, relatively minor nits.

All and all I like the module quite a lot. Won't be selling off my Clouds but will probably be spending a lot of time with the Arbhar. The stream visual display is huge, you can see where in the buffer interesting stuff is as you listen to it and chose to then focus on an area and know where you are. And the bigger buffer, plus the fact you can switch between them easily, even with CV if you want, is also huge given this stream display allows you to take good advantage of it.

The advantages of Clouds includes that it has the Parasite firmware available and even the original firmware had a few different personalities, so it can be useful for a lot of things. The Nebulae excels in playing much longer sound files, though recording them in seems clumsy to do in performance, though it is possible. It's ability to time-stretch is a stellar feature of the Nebulae as well, as is the fact that it can run arbitrary CSound programs (and at least one other, SuperCollider? I forget). I had a Morphagene too at one time, but didn't like the workflow and it seemed problematic to set up for continuous record, so I ended up using it just to explore pre-prepared "reel" files, which was a bit too limiting so I sold it off. And if and when Mutable releases the rumored "new Clouds" I'll have to get one of those too. Arbhar strikes me as a gem though, and I look forward to further explorations with it...
--

Sync

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:49 am

First Patch with the Instruo Arbhar playing 2 different Sampled Layers. With a little Help from the Morphagene for some Spliced Sounds. Effects from ZVerb and Mimeophon.

Modulation for Morphagene from Ochd. Arbhar is Modulated manually.

Samples are from a famous '90s Electronic Band.

Use Headphones :omg:

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:57 pm

Anyone have experience with loading samples to the Arbhar from the USB? have sent a support email to Instruo but looking to compare notes on what works/doesn't work for others.

have been playing around with it today quite a bit and am getting inconsistent results. many times when doing the load procedure of hold shift, hold strike for 2+sec, nothing happens. will work for the first layer or two, but then nothing for the remaining layers. power cycling the module seems to help as i can then sometimes load the rest of the layers. looking at the USB after the unsuccessful attempts, sometimes there's only one or two converted files in the _userfiles folder (despite following the naming conventions needed). other times, there will be a full 6 converted files in the folder, but still no luck loading them.

sometimes a successful load seems to disable the Strike input button.

cavidim
Common Wiggler

Post by cavidim » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:59 am

i wonder when there will be the next firmware update, i would love to have a latch on/off option in the capture input

Return to “Eurorack Modules”