Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by anton414 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:58 am

I'm currently building my rack around arbhar and one thing I can't figure out is what module to use for the mod input? It's a steady CV pulse signal? How do I find this, seems like it should be the easiest thing but I'm lost.

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anton414 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:00 am

Besfar wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:09 am
I agree, this module sounds hifi, its great.
But the intensity knob is bullshit.
It would be infinitly more great to have one side smear grains like both sides seem to do now, and one side just fire grais in lesss rapid succession as you go ccw.
Just like clouds.
I agree 100% it's such a great module but I rarely use intensity, it's too flimsy and gets way too intense, would love to see an update.

everythingcontinues
Learning to Wiggle

Post by everythingcontinues » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:49 am

I definitely don't want to argue the point, but in the chance that Jason (or anyone else who doesn't have one and is trying to glean a representative sample of opinions) skims this thread, I just wanted to say that I love the Intensity parameter. The interaction between it, the Strike input and Length give me a great balance of control or controlled randomness over triggering sound; I make use of every position on the knob, depending on what I'm going for. I love that triggering via Strike does so at a higher amplitude, so accents and variation in loudness are really easy to achieve within the module.

I love arbhar; I find it to be creatively inspiring and a joy to use, every time I use it.

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:39 pm

anton414 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:58 am
I'm currently building my rack around arbhar and one thing I can't figure out is what module to use for the mod input? It's a steady CV pulse signal? How do I find this, seems like it should be the easiest thing but I'm lost.
Jason talks about that port at 1:10.58 in his overview video.

It's also on the back page of the cheat sheet that comes with the module. It responds to steady CV, and does different things from 0 to +5v, and 0 to -5v depending on the settings of the dip switches located on the back side of the module.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:51 pm

same here, intensity and grain size works well for me. I don't like the small pots and use MI blind to have better control. The push-button are too loud and i wondering if it is possible to make the quieter by replacing the spring element. And a way to save and recall full banks of sounds would be nice.
Arbhar is excellent and supreme sounding, very happy with it.

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anton414 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:12 pm

antonriehl wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:39 pm
anton414 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:58 am
Jason talks about that port at 1:10.58 in his overview video.

It's also on the back page of the cheat sheet that comes with the module. It responds to steady CV, and does different things from 0 to +5v, and 0 to -5v depending on the settings of the dip switches located on the back side of the module.
Thx for the answer! This much I get but I have no idea what module to use that puts out a steady CV. Like I said it seems like it would be super easy but I have no idea how to achieve this. I feel kinda stupid :))

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anton414 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Offset Generator is the word I was looking for!! :)

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:08 pm

anton414 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:12 pm
Thx for the answer! This much I get but I have no idea what module to use that puts out a steady CV. Like I said it seems like it would be super easy but I have no idea how to achieve this. I feel kinda stupid :))
So, it completely depends on how you want to use it. If you just want to "set" a value, any kind of offset generator could work. Channels 2-3 of maths, or an attenuverter like MI Shades or Befaco's A*B+C. You could use a sequencer. An LFO would modulate it around for you. Use an audio rate signal and see what happens. Use a clock channel through an attenuator, and modulate between two states. Use the DivKid Mutes to manually offset between two values. It's pretty flexible in that sense.

anton414
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anton414 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:16 am

Ok thx a bunch!!

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:32 am

just got a few of these badboys back in stock if anyone in the UK is looking? (UK only at present, due to international shipping issues)
:tu:

akrenaut
Common Wiggler

Post by akrenaut » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:12 pm

It's a beautiful module in every sense. The ability to morph a large piece of audio into small intricate pieces and vice versa. Take a small piece of audio and turn it into a "symphony of grains". The ascetics of the module with lighting that is hugely beneficial to see how you're manipulating the audio.
The condenser mic to live capture any sound and easily mix it into piece with clocked playback. That's just scratching the surface. Yes, granular synthesis has been around, but this combination of features/parameters took granular to another level.

Esgal
Common Wiggler

Post by Esgal » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:30 pm

So if I understand correctly, this turns your sample into a wavetable and allows you to get down to single cycle sounds. Is there a way to use 1v/oct to change the position in the Wavetable?
ESGAL - BORGASM - TOBIAS KELLER - BLAZE OR BUST
Https://www.kunstwerkmultimedia.com
https://www.blazeorbust.com

FS/FT: Bastl DC Motor, Erica Black Stereo Mixer v2, Beatstep Pro

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Esgal wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:30 pm
So if I understand correctly, this turns your sample into a wavetable and allows you to get down to single cycle sounds. Is there a way to use 1v/oct to change the position in the Wavetable?
Arbhar has a 1V/Oct input that works for grains down to single-cycle sounds. It works by pitching the grains. You can move the playhead around the buffer with cv, but I don't understand the context of moving the playhead at 1V/oct. It's not a wavetable with individual slots, and changing position doesn't have a constant relationship to pitch. The bottom line is, Arbhar's 1V/Oct input should do what you need.

Esgal
Common Wiggler

Post by Esgal » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Esgal wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:30 pm
Arbhar has a 1V/Oct input that works for grains down to single-cycle sounds. It works by pitching the grains. You can move the playhead around the buffer with cv, but I don't understand the context of moving the playhead at 1V/oct. It's not a wavetable with individual slots, and changing position doesn't have a constant relationship to pitch. The bottom line is, Arbhar's 1V/Oct input should do what you need.
I’m not looking to change pitch, just position on the table. Currently I, using the quantized sequencer from PGH game system to change positions on a disting in wavetable vco (y input). Not because of its 1v/oct pitch, but because higher numbers in the sequencer move further into the table. I’m wondering if the same can be accomplished on here.

Why? I do this thing where I take a wavetable and use a number replacement cipher ( programmed into the game system sequencer) to encode a message. Thus, each change on the table representing a letter of a word.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Esgal wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 pm

I’m not looking to change pitch, just position on the table. Currently I, using the quantized sequencer from PGH game system to change positions on a disting in wavetable vco (y input). Not because of its 1v/oct pitch, but because higher numbers in the sequencer move further into the table. I’m wondering if the same can be accomplished on here.

Why? I do this thing where I take a wavetable and use a number replacement cipher ( programmed into the game system sequencer) to encode a message. Thus, each change on the table representing a letter of a word.
Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, you can sequence playhead positions in the buffer with quantized cv. I haven't tested the precision available, but it seems fairly repeatable for musical uses. You can cv within an individual buffer or within all in six buffers (with the buffers chained together). You could also individually sequence between buffers, and within buffers. So you could imagine addressing a matrix with six positions on the Y axis, and some larger number of positions on the X axis. You'd have to experiment a bit to determine your maximum number of X positions, based on your sample sizes, Arbhar cv precision, and play head behavior.

Esgal
Common Wiggler

Post by Esgal » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:03 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:00 pm
Esgal wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, you can sequence playhead positions in the buffer with quantized cv. I haven't tested the precision available, but it seems fairly repeatable for musical uses. You can cv within an individual buffer or within all in six buffers (with the buffers chained together). You could also individually sequence between buffers, and within buffers. So you could imagine addressing a matrix with six positions on the Y axis, and some larger number of positions on the X axis. You'd have to experiment a bit to determine your maximum number of X positions, based on your sample sizes, Arbhar cv precision, and play head behavior.
Awesome, thanks

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Is anyone actually getting random grain distribution on the CW side of the Intensity knob? It seems to me that the “trigger out” is always spitting out triggers at a regular rate determined by the intensity and length parameters, but it doesn’t really do bursts or irregular rhythms as far as I can tell.

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:01 am

corbetta wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:59 pm
Is anyone actually getting random grain distribution on the CW side of the Intensity knob? It seems to me that the “trigger out” is always spitting out triggers at a regular rate determined by the intensity and length parameters, but it doesn’t really do bursts or irregular rhythms as far as I can tell.
You are correct, the current release version had settled to include a more 'measured' random approach, randomly modulating the grain amplitude. The latest firmware version, soon to be ready for release, will offer some additional user settings that allows to also have random time distribution and/or random grain amplitudes.

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:01 am

Fantastic, thanks S!

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:27 pm

I plan to buy this module.
What kind of FX do you use with Arbhar ?

I hesitate between a phaser AJH Next Phase and a delay like 4ms DDL
Arbhar already have stereo effect but it could be great and wider with DDL ?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:30 pm

rafyc wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:27 pm
I plan to buy this module.
What kind of FX do you use with Arbhar ?

I hesitate between a phaser AJH Next Phase and a delay like 4ms DDL
Arbhar already have stereo effect but it could be great and wider with DDL ?
Usually, the reverb included with the Arbhar is all I need--the verb is pretty lush, although it gets out of control fast. It also depends on the source you sample. It's interesting to sample sources with some fx added.

peachesandbacon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by peachesandbacon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:25 am

behndy wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:04 am
Rings pattern into Arbhar throughout, triggering the record and playback with Metron (flurked the live video so... CAT COLLAGE LOOP) -

This is awesome.
Where are the percussion sounds from?

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 am

Made some Atmospheric Drones yesterday Night with my Arbhar.

Sound Source are 4 Different Layers from the Japanese Band Mono. Arbhar is Modulated by Ochd for slowly scanning trough the Layers.

Offset to Change between the 4 Layers is made with Intellijel Quadratt.

I'm not quite happy with the overall Sound Quality when I sample from my iPod into Arbhar. Could someone recommend me a Module to get Line Levels to Modular Level?

Chaos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chaos » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Granular wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 am
Could someone recommend me a Module to get Line Levels to Modular Level?
Erica Synths Pico Input
It's small and does its job well.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Chaos wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:27 pm
Granular wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 am
Could someone recommend me a Module to get Line Levels to Modular Level?
Erica Synths Pico Input
It's small and does its job well.
Thanks. This looks great to hook up my iPod or Notebook :party:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”