Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by scragz » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:49 am

Black_Materia wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:44 am
Are you guys sure about the SD card? I don't remember there being one on the back of the arbhar. The software works for both SD cards and USB. I think the mention of SD card is just generalization. In the Arbhar firmware dropdown section, there are only references to the usb stick.
I'm sure, I did the update last night. Just like Lubadh, there is an SD card with the firmware on the bottom and a separate USB stick for sample storage on the back.

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:23 pm

Update on firmware update (eh):
Went through without issues, was able to edit the new config file to customize the additional setup options, I have to say the new random amplitude/random timing is *chef’s kiss*

Word to the wise: it looks like updating the firmware may erase the currently-saved buffers, so if you have something in there that you deeply love and care about you may want to export it first.

fluorescentgrey
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fluorescentgrey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:35 pm

Has anyone attempted yet to get Arbhar to function as a 'normal' overdubbing looper?
I've been trying all day to get it to work in this realm and besides it sometimes inexplicably stopping (even while i'm scanning it with a sawtooh) It seems to work pretty good. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong so that it stops occasionally. Seems to happen randomly maybe 1 out of every 30 or 40 loops. I also notice when it drops out like this I hear a 'leftover' piece of audio that doesn't seem to have been deleted from the buffer (even after i've cleared it multiple times).

Very cool module so far!

edit: see talk about the new firmware, I just received mine yesterday from Control in NY. Did these likely not have he newest firmware installed? The leftover piece of audio makes me think its a potential glitch that could be fixed in the update.

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:06 pm

Make sure the capture is not being triggered by the sense input as well (turn sensitivity all the way down)

fluorescentgrey
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fluorescentgrey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:25 pm

ok, I just tried that to see if it changed anything and it seems to still happen even while not capturing. I'm thinking it has something to do with the scan input or scan knob setting, i am not sending an offset or scaled sawtooth wave just a regular sawtooth LFO from an A-143-3 Quad LFO Doepfer module.

edit: turning the scan knob all the way counter clockwise while receiving a sawtooth intput seems to lessen the frequency of it occurring but its still happening. I so far haven't been able to get it to continuously loop without interrupting for more than a minute
Last edited by fluorescentgrey on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:29 pm

To scan through you’ll need a 10v range in the ramp—the CV input value is summed to the knob. -5 to +5v with scan at noon should cover the whole range.

Also make sure spray is turned all the way down :)

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:31 pm

Oh, one more thing—I assume you’re in “follow” mode, the regular granular mode is probably worse suited for smooth buffer looping (which is incidentally not really the way the module is designed to work)

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:33 pm

I just saw your edit 2 and that tells me you’re likely not in follow mode. Make sure you activate that first (check the quick start guide)

Max grain length is 3 seconds btw

fluorescentgrey
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fluorescentgrey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:36 pm

yup you're right I wasn't. I will try that thank you. and just based on what you said does that mean essentially that the maximum looping time for a phrase being looped would be 3 seconds?

edit: i totally realize this wasn't designed to be a straight forward looper, but as soon as I got it the 'two birds with one stone' obsession kicked in

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:39 pm

No, follow mode automates the playback head which runs through the entire buffer at a selectable speed (from glacial to several times faster than the original recording). So you can do some looping, time stretching, etc

fluorescentgrey
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fluorescentgrey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:53 pm

Ok this mode does seem to be a working for what I was trying to do thanks. Probably reading the granular looping section of the manual led me in that direction without realizing the other mode was better

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:30 am

Just to let everyone know here, the very latest version 1-6-b is now available from here: https://www.instruomodular.com/support/ and has
  • Reduced power consumption (compared to version 1-6-a)
  • In the arbhar_config.txt file, Scan CV can be defined to control either playback speed or play head offset when in Follow Mode.
  • minor bug fixes
If you want to check what firmware version your arbhar has, you can check the first line of the arbhar_config.txt file (on the USB stick) or insert the SD card and check the arbhar version text file on the /boot partition. Please note that the firmware update requires the SD card to be flashed with the new firmware image and not the USB stick.
corbetta wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:23 pm
[...]
Word to the wise: it looks like updating the firmware may erase the currently-saved buffers, so if you have something in there that you deeply love and care about you may want to export it first.
Yes, good point! Please be aware that the firmware update is flashing the SD card, so all previous sound files will be lost, so exporting the layers is a good idea.

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:36 pm

slexer wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:30 am
Just to let everyone know here, the very latest version 1-6-b is now available from here: https://www.instruomodular.com/support/ and has
  • In the arbhar_config.txt file, Scan CV can be defined to control either playback speed or play head offset when in Follow Mode.
  • minor bug fixes
thanks Sebastian,
re-updated to the newest one.

Question—did follow mode always have the playback head "parked" at the end of the buffer until the next strike input, or is that a bug? I didn't use it that much before and I can't remember. Basically now the playback will always end with "steady" granular seeding according to length/spray/intensity parameters once the playback head reaches the end (far right) of the buffer. I seem to remember that follow mode used to behave as a "one shot" playback mode starting and ending in silence...but I may be wrong!
Last edited by corbetta on Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:30 pm

Just updated and now I can't seem to get onset detection working. Tried normal and follow mode, with jack and with mic, sense is up all the way, can record fine by manually pushing the button. I had intermittent issues with 1-6-a but could always get it to kick in eventually.

I take it back, I downgraded and it still wasn't working but it appears the onset detection mode got set to something besides default, either accidentally or during upgrade. Phew!

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:13 pm

I think there may be some funny business happening if you have an old/mismatched config file on the USB stick when updating the firmware; safer to let the new firmware load and generate a new config, then modify that one.

Another possible issue: it seems like pitching grains up more than one octave may be screwing with the gaussian windowing/envelopes, as it results in audible attacks/clicks (especially with reverse playback grains) whereas lower-pitch grains are faded in/out smoothly. This happens for instance with Dub fully clockwise, window at noon, and both pitch and offset fully clockwise (or by feeding a 2v offset into v/oct and then applying the octave offset with the trimpot)

I'm on 1-6-b.

Still loving the new firmware though! the toggle capture, easy access to phase relationship, and new asynchronous implementation are all great.

morgve
Common Wiggler

Post by morgve » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi everyone! I recently updated mine to 1-6-b and I'm noticing a strange behaviour now (that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before). It might be a veeeery stupid thing but I can't seem to figure it out at the minute.

In a nutshell: the audio that goes out is pitched down 1 semitone compared to what went in (so wet = dry -1 st).

The pitch knobs are obviously all in the center position and all the parameters and down except a bit of length/intensity.There is no CV happening either. I also did the factory reset just to be sure.

Did anyone encounter such issue as well? Might be a config issue but it would be weird cause I did the reset.

Thanks!
Last edited by morgve on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:38 pm

FWIW mine definitely does not do that.

morgve
Common Wiggler

Post by morgve » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks for letting me know! I wrote to them, let's see.

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Post by Bartelby » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:47 am

Black_Materia wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:44 am
Are you guys sure about the SD card? I don't remember there being one on the back of the arbhar. The software works for both SD cards and USB. I think the mention of SD card is just generalization. In the Arbhar firmware dropdown section, there are only references to the usb stick.

edit: guess i was wrong. That looks pretty tricky

He makes a meal of getting that SD card out.

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:06 am

I'm trying to update my Arbhar and having a bit of difficulty. I've downloaded the .zip and balenaEtcher software as instructed, but when I navigate to the SD card in balenaEtcher it tells me there is insufficient space to flash the new firmware. Do I need to reformat the SD? If so, what should it be formatted to?

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:11 am

dandandaaan wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:06 am
I'm trying to update my Arbhar and having a bit of difficulty. I've downloaded the .zip and balenaEtcher software as instructed, but when I navigate to the SD card in balenaEtcher it tells me there is insufficient space to flash the new firmware. Do I need to reformat the SD? If so, what should it be formatted to?
No, reformatting should not be necessary.
etcherSdCard.png
This is how it looks in etcher on my machine here, the black info bubble is coming up when hovering the mouse over the SDCard icon. If this is not as it looks on your machine, contact me directly and I will try to help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:28 am

Couple of tracks i've made since getting hold of an Arbhar....this thing is really tons of fun! Sound quality is amazing and the way it works is just really musical and obvious (for want of a better word). Its true there is latency on the triggered grains but if you have a sequencer that can shift triggers its not really a problem.

In this track the Arbhar is triggering grains of the Akemie's castle main synth lead. Every now and then I send some CV in to smear and glitch things up. Please note any comb resonator sounds aren't the Arbhar, but all the other weirdness is. (comb is Rainmaker).

In this one the Arbhar is in right from the start. I got a bit more adventurous and recorded in two layers, one of an Akemie's castle and one of a Furthrrrr generator. I'm using a square wave LFO which is sync'd and having its multi/divisions modulated at random to flip between the two layers, then triggering 16th grains. Also sending in CV periodically to fuck shit up.

Gives a good sense of what the arbhar is capable of, which appears to be loads haha. I had one quick play with the mic and it blew me away so really need to get to grips with that in a proper track. Big kudos to Instruo :party:
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

bennyp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bennyp » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 am

slexer wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:30 am
  • minor bug fixes
Hi there! I can't seem to find which part of the config file changes the scan cv in 1.6b? Also, changing the followFadeInTime value did not seem to change anything. I just wanted to make sure I was changing the correct value at the top of the arbhar_config file and not in the body of the text below? Thanks!

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:21 am

It might be necessary to delete the arbhar_config.txt file from the USB stick and power cycle the arbhar to start with a fresh default config file. Message me directly if that does not resolve the issue.

Ptbarnum
Common Wiggler

Post by Ptbarnum » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:19 am

morgve wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 pm
Thanks for letting me know! I wrote to them, let's see.
Get an answer? It’s happening with mine Now as well

Return to “Eurorack Modules”