Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:24 pm

:tu:

felt body
Learning to Wiggle

Post by felt body » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:18 pm

Wondering how everyone's experience is with this module in comparison to a Clouds - is having both redundant? I have a Supercell and have gotten good use out of it, and am wondering if I should sell to fund an Arbhar...thoughts anyone? Are they, in the end, really similar in function and output (the aesthetic and workflow is obv. very different!)

aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 pm

felt body wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:18 pm
Wondering how everyone's experience is with this module in comparison to a Clouds - is having both redundant?
I'm going to sell my Monsoon but i'm sure someone will jump in with an argument why having both is absolutely necessary ;)

To play devil's advocate: If you absolutely must use the "end of chain effect" style of using clouds, e.g. continuously updating buffer or need the flexibility of the alternative modes than why not. But i don't and much prefer the sound and UX of Arbhar.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 am

I've only had mine for one day, I think the answer to your question is always going to be it depends. How are you using clouds atm? Is it just for granular synthesis or do you also use the other modes? To you use the sample storage feature much or is it an end of chain effect?

The Arbhar definately has a better sound quality and user interface compared to Clouds that's for sure.

Johnnyfive
Common Wiggler

Post by Johnnyfive » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:36 am

djd_oz wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:24 pm
Overdubbing can be activated with the capture button and/or by using gates, however, it will stop capturing at the end of the buffer (10s).

The workaround is the use the onset detection which will keep recording as long as there is a loud enough signal in the Onset Input. This will then continously capture the inputs even after it has reached the end of the 10s buffer.

Also, another tip is to activate follow mode.
ah ok, good to know!

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:33 am

On the Clouds replacement topic: I've found I can get a reasonably close facsimile by using Follow Mode and following the record head closely. The main issue is when it wraps around there is a noticeable gap in playback with high Intensity. Anyone else hearing this or have any tips?

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:24 pm

^ yes, I'm also hearing this, increasing spray does help

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Someone from Instruo contacted me about troubleshooting this so I will report back.

And since I know the big eye of Instruo is watching: You've gotta be one of the best companies in modular right now with this level of support and communication. Seeking out user issues as problems to be solved instead of making excuses or blaming people for not understanding the grand design. Good shit!

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:42 am

scragz wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:49 pm
Someone from Instruo contacted me about troubleshooting this so I will report back.

And since I know the big eye of Instruo is watching: You've gotta be one of the best companies in modular right now with this level of support and communication. Seeking out user issues as problems to be solved instead of making excuses or blaming people for not understanding the grand design. Good shit!
I second that, they're very supportive. Kudos!
:sb:

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 pm

My experience with Clouds is limited to VCV rack, but there are some obvious differences in implementation and features:

1) the Arbhar multiple-buffer approach is a thing of its own; it really opens up interesting options and possibilities over the course of a performance, especially if you decouple the recording/playback buffers and use longer grain length.

2) Clouds has a feedback control built in. You can implement feedback patching using the Arbhar’s built in mic, but it’s quite finicky.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:10 pm

djd_oz wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:24 pm
^ yes, I'm also hearing this, increasing spray does help
Ok so word from HQ:

* There's a fade to reduce the artifact when starting over which can be tweaked in arbhar_config.txt
* Try the alternate mode where Scan is an offset instead of speed
* Go back to normal mode and send a pulse to the capture input with pulse width larger than the length and spray

Gonna mess with these a bit next time I get a chance. I haven't dove into the config file yet at all.

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:14 am

felt body wrote:
Wondering how everyone's experience is with this module in comparison to a Clouds - is having both redundant? I have a Supercell and have gotten good use out of it, and am wondering if I should sell to fund an Arbhar...thoughts anyone? Are they, in the end, really similar in function and output (the aesthetic and workflow is obv. very different!)
I've got three Clouds, an Arbhar and a Nebulae V2. I also had a Morphagene at one time, but I sold that one because I found trying to use it for real-time processing was clumsy at best, and in general didn't really like the workflow. The Morphagene was good for just random exploration, but if you had a specific idea to do some kind of processing, I found it was mostly frustrating, and mostly just useful as an overblown sampler. Once I picked up a 4ms STS, that turned out to be better for doing what I wanted to do in that regard than the Morphagene. And of course, then the Nebulae V2 came along, and now the Arbhar, so I've not looked back.

Clouds was the module that triggered the decision to get into Eurorack for me. I had done analog synthesis decades before on the Arp 2600, but until I realized that things have come a long way since then, the cost barrier to entry didn't seem quite worth it. With Clouds though, this was something new and so I started with a Doepfer mini-case with little more than a clouds and an input and output module to reduce my initial foray. I then got hooked, and now I've got a wall of stuff...

There's several things I like about Clouds. 1) it's very easy to use, and readily get interesting sounding results out of it. 2) its ability to be multiple personality, on it's own and further expanded with the Parasites software-- so the hardware, besides granular, can be a delay, reverb, or several other things, and in full stereo. it's pretty much always useful. After I got started, I spotted a used one on eBay that I picked up for a deal, as I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a backup and I've got a couple of cases now, so I can put a Clouds in each for convenience. The third one came about when I was getting tight for space in one rack and so I picked up one of the skinny ones.

I picked up the Nebulae V2 after I was finding the Morphagene less than useful after the newness wore off (it was fun to play with for a while). One feature of the Nebulae that attracted me is the independent pitch and speed adjustments, there are times when I want that and it does it pretty well. It's better than the Morphagene doing "real time" as well, and it's ability to be multiple personality is way better even than Clouds, because it's got a Raspberry PI inside that can run Pure Data, Csound, SuperCollider or even your own custom C programs. So theoretically, it can do practically anything if the I/O & UI can handle it, and I'm a professional software developer so that kind of thing doesn't scare me. Makes it a bit more work but it's so open ended I doubt I'll give that one up for that reason. I've got a couple of Raspberry PI's around here that I use for non-musical applications, so I'm pretty familiar with them and Linux.

Arbhar attracted me because I'm particularly interested in granular, and it was a new take on it. And I'm not sorry--it took me a couple of hours to realize that you want to feed it an audio in that has something going on with it, not just a drone (which is what I had handy at first), because you want to have some changes going on that you can scrub through. It's features are pretty nice, and in particular, the larger buffer (larger than Clouds). Also, I've been thinking the onset detection could allow for the continuous capture of percussive sounds where the start of the buffer can be presumed to be the start of an attack, and make particular use of that. I haven't yet done any testing of it, but it's recently occurred to me that could be worth playing with-- perhaps some kind of weird percussion instrument where it samples one thing and then stutters it or who-knows-what afterwards, driven by some beat and/or note sequencing.

One thing those percussive capture thoughts might suggest for a feature could be the ability for the onset detection to be continuously capturing, but not saving, incoming audio such that when the onset triggers, it's got a little bit of "pre-roll" so that the beginning of the buffer isn't halfway through the attack onset, but the buffer recording starts a little before the actual onset detection point. This is kind of the thing that security cameras do with motion detection, when the motion is detected, you get a capture where the video includes some of the time leading UP to the motion occurrance, so you can see how you got there. In the case of doing that with audio, it might allow for a more complete capture of the attack of audio based on the onset detection. Just a thought, I could see how it might be a pain to have to be continually sampling (and find some place to cache it until you decide whether to apply it to the buffer or not), and I don't as of yet really know how useful or important such a feature might be, it was just something that had occurred to me while thinking about how it might work to use the onset detection to capture staccato sounds aligned with the start of the buffer.

So I've no plans to get rid of any of these modules, I find them all pretty useful, and with a couple of racks, I often have a different project going on in each where having multiples of a few things can come in handy (I also picked up a second Pamela's and a second STS sampler, as both of those are also *always* useful, and having one in each rack means I don't have to tear apart one project to try something else in the other rack).

If the Clouds V2 ever arrives, I'll no doubt get one of those, as I like MI's take on things too, and am sure the new abilities there would interest me. The Arbhar I'm liking more and more, so I'll no doubt retain that too, I don't foresee it going the way of my Morphagene...

But your mileage may vary, hopefully some of this info regarding how I use them may be useful in deciding what you want to do for yourself...
--

Sync

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Is it possible to feed an external sound source into Arbhar and process it live? or does it just “work” on registered sounds?

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:00 pm

shize312 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:27 pm
Is it possible to feed an external sound source into Arbhar and process it live? or does it just “work” on registered sounds?
Totally possible either by using onset detection, manual or sequenced capture gates/trigger, or follow mode.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:54 pm

corbetta wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:00 pm
shize312 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:27 pm
Totally possible either by using onset detection, manual or sequenced capture gates/trigger, or follow mode.
Much easier to do compared to Nebulae but keep in mind the discussion two posts up that it can be fussy trying to get Clouds-style live granularization.

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:11 pm

Thanks for the replies lads; my only doubt was if it was possible to feed anything into it or it was processing only its own samples and it has been cleared out!

felt body
Learning to Wiggle

Post by felt body » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Sync wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:14 am
felt body wrote:

Arbhar attracted me because I'm particularly interested in granular, and it was a new take on it. And I'm not sorry--it took me a couple of hours to realize that you want to feed it an audio in that has something going on with it, not just a drone (which is what I had handy at first), because you want to have some changes going on that you can scrub through. It's features are pretty nice, and in particular, the larger buffer (larger than Clouds). Also, I've been thinking the onset detection could allow for the continuous capture of percussive sounds where the start of the buffer can be presumed to be the start of an attack, and make particular use of that. I haven't yet done any testing of it, but it's recently occurred to me that could be worth playing with-- perhaps some kind of weird percussion instrument where it samples one thing and then stutters it or who-knows-what afterwards, driven by some beat and/or note sequencing.

But your mileage may vary, hopefully some of this info regarding how I use them may be useful in deciding what you want to do for yourself...
Thank you so much for the wonderfully detailed reply! Interesting especially about the differences all these engines have in regards to live or captured granularisation. I do use my Supercell as a granular delay probably most often of all its features. Might just have to keep both!
Love your idea of Arbhar as its own semi-generative granular percussion machine, too. Keep us updated on your explorations with the module!

fwheel
Common Wiggler

Post by fwheel » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Me and my friend met in a semi-abandoned countryhouse halfway in Finland as the other was heading north and other south.

We had a few hours of spare time, so we piled our instruments and quickly made some live improvisations – in this piece most of the "organic" sounding noise is from Instruo Arbhar – it's a really phenomenal module both for capturing sounds via the mic as well as using the line in.

Audiodaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audiodaan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:38 pm

I have updated my Arbhar to 1.6 today and now it's producing intermittent but regular glitches/distortions on the input. I've done the update procedure twice in case something had gone haywire but it's still doing these glitches. This is with the signal fully dry, and using an input signal from a cable. When using the condenser, I don't hear the same glitching but I do hear the signal drop out occasionally.

Does anyone have any tips for how I could re-set or re-calibrate or do something else?

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:08 pm

fwheel wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:55 pm
Me and my friend met in a semi-abandoned countryhouse halfway in Finland as the other was heading north and other south.

We had a few hours of spare time, so we piled our instruments and quickly made some live improvisations – in this piece most of the "organic" sounding noise is from Instruo Arbhar – it's a really phenomenal module both for capturing sounds via the mic as well as using the line in.

Semi-abandoned. Hmmmm... what does that mean? The owner was out getting groceries and you went in and jammed? 😜

Looks like a beautiful place and a day full of vibe. The last couple minutes of that jam were beautiful.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:16 am

fwheel wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:55 pm
That was lovely! And what a great location... 🤩
My latest release, including vinyl!

fwheel
Common Wiggler

Post by fwheel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:08 pm

Semi-abandoned. Hmmmm... what does that mean? The owner was out getting groceries and you went in and jammed? 😜

Looks like a beautiful place and a day full of vibe. The last couple minutes of that jam were beautiful.
Ha! More as in, no one’s been at the place in a year and all renovations and other improvements are late a decade or two :) thanks for your comment!

Chrism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrism » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:54 am

Hello,

have anyone audio drops with the latest firmware 1.6b?
I noticed some audio drops with my. I have reinstall 1.6a and all is good.

Best!

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aintnopicnic » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Chrism wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:54 am
Hello,

have anyone audio drops with the latest firmware 1.6b?
I noticed some audio drops with my. I have reinstall 1.6a and all is good.

Best!
Me too, mixture of dropouts&clippings, went back to 1.6a.
Now everything works as usual.

Chrism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrism » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:21 am

Thanks for reply.
I send a mail to the support.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”