Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Antl
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by Antl » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 pm

I've had my Arbhar for about 1 week now. It's beautiful but I have also been experiencing very annoying audio clippings and drop outs which has stressed me out! I've noticed that this is worse when the Intensity knob is left or right of the 12 o'clock position. The audio drop outs/clippings are happening both on audio input and when just processing audio in a buffer. I haven't checked what firmware I'm on, hopefully the fix is there.

Phaze
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phaze » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:31 am

corbetta wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:23 pm
Noise update: I think it's a power-related issue in my case. With the Arbhar plugged straight into my audio interface, with nothing else connected to the bus board, it's dead quiet. Now to solve it!
Did you solve this?

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:39 am

Chrism wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:21 am
Thanks for reply.
I send a mail to the support.
I'm having clipping/crackling too. Please let us know what support says.

Chrism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrism » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:09 am

Dasein1980 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:39 am
Chrism wrote:
Thanks for reply.
Hi,

I see I'm not alone with this.
The support says that these problems occur with some modules.
Sebastian is in the process of updating the firmware. I change to a beta firmware but the drops are still there.
I sent him audiofiles for analysis. I'm just waiting for feedback.
For my part, firmware 1.6a worked best at time.

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 am

New firmware version 1.6.c is now available from http://www.instruomodular.com/support/

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks for letting us know; installing it right now.

RGB
Common Wiggler

Post by RGB » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm

Is there any way to start the capture either via control voltage/onset or gate/trigger of the layers when the layers are decoupled and the layers are being modulated via cv? Hopefully this makes sense....?

If I have a random voltage modulating the layers (causing the active layer to be randomly changing) while at the same time having the monitored layer and the capture layer decoupled.... is it possible to trigger the capture of whichever layer is currently selected via cv/onset or gate/trigger? Then at the end of the 10 second recording of the current layer the random cv would then select another layer which could then be recorded into?

From what I can tell, when decoupled, the monitor layer is the one being modulated (changed by the random cv) while the record layer needs to be changed by hand (turning the layer knob)....?

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 am

Phaze wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:31 am
corbetta wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:23 pm
Noise update: I think it's a power-related issue in my case. With the Arbhar plugged straight into my audio interface, with nothing else connected to the bus board, it's dead quiet. Now to solve it!
Did you solve this?
Not completely, but I’ve bettered my gain staging to a point where it’s not as noticeable. Not quite ready to change power supply but may go down that route eventually.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:45 am

RGB wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm
Is there any way to start the capture either via control voltage/onset or gate/trigger of the layers when the layers are decoupled and the layers are being modulated via cv? Hopefully this makes sense....?

If I have a random voltage modulating the layers (causing the active layer to be randomly changing) while at the same time having the monitored layer and the capture layer decoupled.... is it possible to trigger the capture of whichever layer is currently selected via cv/onset or gate/trigger? Then at the end of the 10 second recording of the current layer the random cv would then select another layer which could then be recorded into?

From what I can tell, when decoupled, the monitor layer is the one being modulated (changed by the random cv) while the record layer needs to be changed by hand (turning the layer knob)....?

This isn’t possible, but why do you need them decoupled? If you recouple them it will work as you describe. You can still modulate the later with CV when playback and recording are coupled, just it will record into whichever layer is active when capture is hit with a gate
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

wajobu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wajobu » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:30 pm

I finally got an Arbhar and got around to making a recording with it. The basis for this is a 6 second recording of a yellow rumped warbler (yes, there is such a bird). The recording is processed through the Arbhar using two LFOs (pitch and sample) from the Instruo/DivKid Øchd, and some other modules and effects. Recorded in stereo, no overdubs. What an incredible module:
On a reach and planing

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:40 am

Chrism wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:09 am
Dasein1980 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:39 am
Chrism wrote:
Thanks for reply.
Hi,

I see I'm not alone with this.
The support says that these problems occur with some modules.
Sebastian is in the process of updating the firmware. I change to a beta firmware but the drops are still there.
I sent him audiofiles for analysis. I'm just waiting for feedback.
For my part, firmware 1.6a worked best at time.
I just received my arbhar and I’m also getting. audio crackles on the input. I updated to 1.6c but no improvement (although the crackles on playback seem better). Anybody have any ideas how to clean up the input?

wajobu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wajobu » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am

For those experiencing clipping/crackling, have you tried totally isolating the module and just import audio data direct from a source (computer, mp3, or onboard microphone)?

I have found that clipping can occur passing audio sources through multiple modules (including VCAs and effects processing) or mixing (by accident) USBa, USBb or USBc. As sound sources are passed through multiple modules and processors the noise floor is raised and often distorted even before it reaches the Arbhar. I've also had issues with crackling and distortion when I've discovered that I've inadvertently mixed USBa and USBc.

I'm not denying that some folks are having problems, but if after installing updated firmware the problem still exists, try isolating modules or sound sources until the (potential) problem is isolated. Noise and distortion can come from a variety of sources.

For the record, I just got my Arbhar, and have no idea what firmware it has, but it is from a recent shipment, so it likely has a later firmware installed. I'm not sure if the serial number would indicate the likely firmware.

EDIT: Just checked: I have serial number 100.
On a reach and planing

nine rams
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nine rams » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:22 am

buyingitwontmakeucool wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:33 am
LunaticSound wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 am
Arbhar comes with a a mono input? Shock.
So don’t buy it. Supply is already short
WOW so cool, you´re sooo cool !! Moses and the 10 eurorack commandments. lol

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:57 pm

mrerdat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:39 pm
Copying support email I just sent to Jason. Anyone else experiencing this?
Hi, I found a bug in the Arbhar.

I'm using a gate sequencer to trigger the strike input to fire grains rhythmically and constantly which works great for the first 20-30 minutes the Arbhar is powered on but then the output develops a constant crackle which does not go away until the Arbhar is power cycled. Resetting/ changing/ rerecording/ deleting buffers does nothing to solve this problem and only power cycling works, though this is not a practical solution for live performance.

Do you know what might be causing this and if a firmware fix is possible?
Did you get this fixed? I think I have this issue also.

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:15 am

Leighzi88 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:40 am

I just received my arbhar and I’m also getting. audio crackles on the input. I updated to 1.6c but no improvement (although the crackles on playback seem better). Anybody have any ideas how to clean up the input?
wajobu wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am
For those experiencing clipping/crackling, have you tried totally isolating the module and just import audio data direct from a source (computer, mp3, or onboard microphone)?

Yes, I've found that the crackles I'm experiencing seem to only happen when I'm passing audio through the Arbhar (from my Blackbox to the Arbhar, then to an Intellijel Headphone Out). I've isolated each module and the crackling is definitely coming from the Arbhar.

But then when I record, the crackling is no longer in the recorded material—at least, I can't hear any grains with pops in them. But I haven't had a chance to update to 1.6c, so I can't say if that has helped with my issues.

Thought I should chime-in again though, since it seems we're having the same issues.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:17 pm

Finally got my Arbhar today.. I am absolutely loving this thing.
I paired it up with Lúbadh and some sequences on the Tš-L and Frap Tools Brenso.

Here are my liner notes:
Tape loop from Lùbadh with KorgasmatronII low-pass filter.
Granular samples from two layers on arbhar with QPAS filter and live performance from Planar2.
Bassline: Tš-L into Ripples with Quadigy envelopes. Sequenced on Ableton.
Drums: Toontrack custom kit, performed on Push 2. Compressed with UAD Distressor.
Lead synth: USTA sequence, with Brenso modulator/carrier, extensive modulation of shapers, wavefolder, FM and integrator - into LXd low pass gate. Envelopes from Falistri. also sampled into Arbhar.
Mixed on Frap CGM with Eventide H9 SpaceTime, Eventide TimeFactor; and Lexicon MPX550 reverb.
Modulation for Lúbadh, arbhar, Brenso, filters and CGM panning from Batumi, Quadrax and Pamela.

osten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osten » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 am

I can confirm, I have the latest firmware, 1.6.c and when I pass audio through it, I get intermittent crackling noise. Kind of a cool effect, but also annoying

zupaloop
1-Post Wiggler

Post by zupaloop » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:00 am

I received my Arbhar in the mail today and have similar crackling issues to others in the thread. Just updated firmware to 1.6.c and crackling, while it seems to happen less often, is still present...

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:36 am

New firmware addressing the problems in 1.6.b and c is in final testing and should be up on the website very soon.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:53 am

The noise floor on my Arbhar’s built-in microphone is so loud the microphone is unusable. I thought the issue must be with the microphone itself because I don’t hear noise on Arbhar’s input and none of my other modules are noisy. I also tried removing all modules besides Arbhar from my skiff, but the issue persists. Also, there is no noise if I plug an external microphone into Arbhar’s input. However, I sent my Arbhar to Instruo for servicing and I’m told it is functioning as-new - no issues. I guess that means the problem must be with my Make Noise 104 HP powered skiff, though I don’t understand how that would affect only the microphone. I’ve held the Arbhar outside the skiff and the noise persists, so the microphone isn’t picking up on any internal audible noise.

Does anyone else have their Arbhar in a Make Noise 104 HP powered skiff? Are you experiencing an unusably high noise floor with Arbhar’s microphone? I’m thinking of downsizing to a Intellijel Palette Partially to solve the issue and for other reasons. Have people had positive experiences with this setup? Are there any other possible causes of this issue I could be overlooking? For example, could the power at my house be noisy, or something like that? I’m going a bit mad trying to solve the problem.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 am

Noise Floor can be very subjective. Is the noise floor still high when you record just above the mic some glas, shakers, paper scrambles etc ?

Sakr
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Sakr » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:25 am

Just put my new Arbhar in my case. running 1.6.c getting crackle sounds when moving around the length and intensity knobs. Either with recorded material or monitoring. Anyone else getting this?

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 am

pelang wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 am
Noise Floor can be very subjective. Is the noise floor still high when you record just above the mic some glas, shakers, paper scrambles etc ?
Yes, I can’t get usable material Leaning over and speaking 10 cm from the microphone. Noise is immediately audible at the slightest turn of the input gain. I’ve watched a number of YouTube videos where the internal microphone is used or demonstrated and there is nothing like the noise level I am experiencing.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:20 am

slexer wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:36 am
New firmware addressing the problems in 1.6.b and c is in final testing and should be up on the website very soon.
That’s great. Thank you!

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 am

wajobu wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:30 pm
I finally got an Arbhar and got around to making a recording with it. The basis for this is a 6 second recording of a yellow rumped warbler (yes, there is such a bird). The recording is processed through the Arbhar using two LFOs (pitch and sample) from the Instruo/DivKid Øchd, and some other modules and effects. Recorded in stereo, no overdubs. What an incredible module:
Sounds great! :sb:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”