Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Teer
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by Teer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:23 pm

Any news about noise or how to get rid of?

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:13 am

Teer wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:23 pm
Any news about noise or how to get rid of?
Radio silence best I can tell

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:18 am

I still haven’t been able to test it with a linear supply or more robust distro system. My hunch is that a more stable ground/comm may be the only thing that eliminates the noise altogether.

In terms of real world usage, using the Arbhar fully wet through some sort of isolated or balanced output ends up being perfectly usable for me in terms of SNR

axm311
Common Wiggler

Post by axm311 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:10 pm

Yeah in a recording fully wet I didn’t notice the noise with a lot of spray going on, but I note quite a few videos with a mixed dry / wet balance without any noise. I haven’t come across the use case for that yet because I haven’t been blending with external audio at the same time

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:39 pm

Honestly even in dry/wet with proper gain staging the noise is really only noticeable at high volume levels and with extra quiet/sparse stuff. It’s there, and it can be bothersome/noticeable, but it’s also something that can be handled.

Jay
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jay » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 am

Mine got from „noticable“ to „only hearable with really bad gainstaging“ when I switched from my messy buscable setup to an ACL busboard. My power supply is a Frap tools Silta.

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:54 pm

Jay wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 am
Mine got from „noticable“ to „only hearable with really bad gainstaging“ when I switched from my messy buscable setup to an ACL busboard. My power supply is a Frap tools Silta.
Out of curiosity, which ACL board?

submute
Common Wiggler

Post by submute » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:52 pm

Is there a meaningful difference between using the Omega layer and modulating the Scan, or just modulating the Layer w/ the expander?

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:14 pm

Only a functional difference really, in that by modulating layer you could target the same bit of the play head on each layer and then scrub around it, for example if you had 6 different variations on a theme, each one recorded in to a different layer and kept in time. That would be much easier with modulating layer and scan together rather than using omega and just scan.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:22 pm

The above, plus the resolution of using scan to scrub through the combined six layers is obviously 1/6th than when modulating layers.

Doing time stretching stuff when modulating layers can yield some gorgeous/impossible cross fades

Personally I prefer to modulate the layers with the expander, also to allow for recursive movement between layers (like an expanding “reach” from alpha to beta and gamma, then back...) but while having the playhead loving freely within the layer as opposed than “scanning” progressively through it. Perhaps the same effect could be obtained by modulating scan while in omega and using high spray, but I like the controllability of separate modulation destinations.

Jay
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jay » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:41 am

corbetta wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:54 pm
Out of curiosity, which ACL board?
ACL - Power Distribution Board. The hexagonal one.

Teer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Teer » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:04 pm

To the arbhar owners: what are the main uses for the module in "song"? And for what kind of music do you use it? Do you use it most of the time on its own or with other modules?
Really excited to hear about how you integrated it into your workflow.

Thanks in advance!

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Hello, I’ve got an arbhar and love it, fantastic musical module. Im experience low comuterlike noice, very low, but it’s still there. Ist totally ok when using arbhar, and I barely hear it, but it spreads to the other modules, and is annoying when don’t use it, and do fine things with other modules, or stuff with a bit silence in between. I’ve got 2 rackbrute 6u, so it’s probably not the finest psu. It’s gone when I remove it from the rack, got mainly analogue modules in that case. I’m strongly considering adding a small extra psu only for that module, and further digital modules.
Have any of you found a solution for this, I might upgrade my case in the future.
Bobb

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:45 am

It’s definitely feels like a eurocase problem, and current problem, looking for a way to get clean and filtered psu. Maybe a filtered busboard

modeleus
Common Wiggler

Post by modeleus » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:08 am

Bobbfett wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:27 pm
Hello, I’ve got an arbhar and love it, fantastic musical module. Im experience low comuterlike noice, very low, but it’s still there. Ist totally ok when using arbhar, and I barely hear it, but it spreads to the other modules, and is annoying when don’t use it, and do fine things with other modules, or stuff with a bit silence in between. I’ve got 2 rackbrute 6u, so it’s probably not the finest psu. It’s gone when I remove it from the rack, got mainly analogue modules in that case. I’m strongly considering adding a small extra psu only for that module, and further digital modules.
Have any of you found a solution for this, I might upgrade my case in the future.
Bobb
If Im understanding correctly even when you are not using Arbhar its noise propagates to other modules, is that correct? Those LEDs seem to be a double-edged weapon...

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 am

Yes, you’re right, but I’m listening on high volume. It’s not arbhars fault, it feels more like a flaw in euro in general, many digital modules propagates noice. I get a similar thing if I put a computer on high volume, and inside arbhar is a phi, isn’t it. It would be nice if there is a current filter or shielding you could put on modules that propagates noice, hmm

Just want to point out that it’s very very low. It’s the coolest module in my rack.

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 am

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:00 am

I tried the NKP from miso-hardware and it did NOT help with the noise in my case.

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 am

Have you located if its noise from some module, or if its the case psu? Im definetly not an expert, but in my case in this case its the module, and probably bad too sensitive busrail in the case. Hmm

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:27 am

It’s the Arbhar in my case—it becomes noisy as soon as it shades power with another module or is connected to a module on my second powered busboard. The NKP plug I tried didn’t help.

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:32 am

Bobbfett wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:27 pm
Bobb
.. only solution i found is as you said put in it's own case. i have arbhar and lubadh and expanders in a 48hp pod and that works for me (still some noise but not nearly as bad). also good ergonomically i find

i've had to do similar with other modules too eg. nebulae v2 , sometimes alm, so it's not just specific to instruo of course

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:39 am

Very interesting. Yes, it feels like a general euro problem.

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:43 am

Bobbfett wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 am
..it feels more like a flaw in euro in general, many digital modules propagates noice. I get a similar thing if I put a computer on high volume, and inside arbhar is a phi, isn’t it. It would be nice if there is a current filter or shielding you could put on modules that propagates noice, hmm
there are some good threads on here about noise and reduction of it, esp lots of good info from Mr Hinton I find. obviously it costs quite a bit to reduce noise. actually I wish manufacturers would sort it out

in my situation i've just gone for the separating things out with pod satellites route, around a main case where i place modules that don't tend to be noisy, which helps and keeps my setup more modular and clear anyway

I also tend to record straight out of those pods via an attenuator (rather than into the main case and out again) and that works well to keep noise at bay also

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:52 am

Very good advice, having smaller digital effect racks on the side is a good idea, to keep noisy modules separated. :)

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:55 am

I won’t go into the behringer discussion, but they have a really cheap 4hp power supply, I’m considering buying one of those, and separate noisy modules in the same case, hmm

Edit: maby a 4ms when I come to think on it, better power for such fine modules

Return to “Eurorack Modules”