Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

strangejock
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Instruo arbhar granular processor

Post by strangejock » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 pm

Wick wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:20 am
antonriehl wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:39 am
Wick wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:43 pm
has anyone has issue with the arbhar? I turn up today onmy case I cant hear the module ins or outs. the layers lights are spining constantly and changing colors is the first time is happening on my arbhar since I got it in November
When I updated my firmware, I accidentally broke the SD card, and the behavior when I put it back was basically the same as what you are describing. Maybe check that the SD card hasn't accidentally come unseated, or update the firmware on the SD card.
thanks I contact Sebastian from instruo told me the exact same thing I did reset everything and reformat the sd card also refresh the firmware and now is working again thanks
Anyone else experiencing issues? My Arbhar was doing the same thing here, so I tried updating the firmware. Still doing it after the update. What exactly did you do to reset / reformat the SD card?

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 pm

strangejock wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 pm
Wick wrote:
antonriehl wrote:
Wick wrote:
has anyone has issue with the arbhar? I turn up today onmy case I cant hear the module ins or outs. the layers lights are spining constantly and changing colors is the first time is happening on my arbhar since I got it in November
When I updated my firmware, I accidentally broke the SD card, and the behavior when I put it back was basically the same as what you are describing. Maybe check that the SD card hasn't accidentally come unseated, or update the firmware on the SD card.
thanks I contact Sebastian from instruo told me the exact same thing I did reset everything and reformat the sd card also refresh the firmware and now is working again thanks
Anyone else experiencing issues? My Arbhar was doing the same thing here, so I tried updating the firmware. Still doing it after the update. What exactly did you do to reset / reformat the SD card?
if your issue continues contact instruo support Sebastian help me out with my issue

strangejock
Learning to Wiggle

Post by strangejock » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:27 pm

Thanks, I tried writing via their contact form a few weeks ago but haven't heard back. I'll try it again. Thanks!

strangejock
Learning to Wiggle

Post by strangejock » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:29 pm

Wick wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 pm
strangejock wrote:
Wick wrote:
antonriehl wrote:
Wick wrote:
if your issue continues contact instruo support Sebastian help me out with my issue
Thanks, I tried writing via their contact form a few weeks ago but haven't heard back. I'll try it again. Thanks!

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:08 am

strangejock wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:29 pm
Wick wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 pm
strangejock wrote:
Wick wrote:
antonriehl wrote:
Wick wrote:
here is contact+ sebastian@instruomodular.com

DirkB
Common Wiggler

Post by DirkB » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:25 am

question: how to verify which FW is installed ??

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:15 am

Going back to the noise / bleed / interference issues with the Arbhar as discussed earlier in this thread...

Just in case it helps anyone else, since racking the Arbhar in a new, proper case ( an Antonus SideCARP ) with a decent built-in PSU ( rather than from a 4ms Row Power module ) all my noise problems have vanished. I can now hear that the noisiest thing in my rack is Magneto, which is classic Strymon HF processor noise - my TimeLine pedal does it too. Super negligible though, so I'm well happy.

So it was definitely a power /EMF noise bleed type problem in my case at least.

8cloud8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 8cloud8 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:50 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:02 pm
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:33 am
Got mine the other day and I'm really liking it so far. Here's a lil clip of it massaging Rings

I'm a little annoyed that there doesn't seem to be a way to make it constantly record - I have to keep hitting the capture button or send a gate. Ultimately not too big of a deal for how dope it sounds
You can send your audio into the onset input, adjust the sense control, so it's constantly triggering record, and adjust the hold so it runs to any point in the buffer. That's working for me.
I am trying to achieve a constant real-time processing of an external signal and have a problem with the Sense and Hold controls when sending audio into the Onset input. Even though they are turned 100% clockwise, strangely enough the Capture button keeps being triggered quite randomly and very seldom. What am I doing wrong? I admit I am having a hard time understanding this part of the manual, so any help would be much appreciated.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:35 am

8cloud8 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:50 am
I am trying to achieve a constant real-time processing of an external signal and have a problem with the Sense and Hold controls when sending audio into the Onset input. Even though they are turned 100% clockwise, strangely enough the Capture button keeps being triggered quite randomly and very seldom. What am I doing wrong? I admit I am having a hard time understanding this part of the manual, so any help would be much appreciated.
Sometimes Sense can be really flakey. Last time I used it was without issues but there have been times in the past it won't trigger at all. I feel like there's a bug where it can get into a weird state.

afaafa
Common Wiggler

Post by afaafa » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:55 am

I’ve also noticed a bug where onset detection stops working occasionally. Scrubbing through the onset modes resets it and it works again.

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm

8cloud8 wrote:
I am trying to achieve a constant real-time processing of an external signal and have a problem with the Sense and Hold controls when sending audio into the Onset input. Even though they are turned 100% clockwise, strangely enough the Capture button keeps being triggered quite randomly and very seldom. ...
The hold controls the minimum duration between any recognised onsets that started a recording, so hold on 100% will ensure a full layer to be recorded in one take (10 seconds), without the capture processes being retriggered. So getting very sparse capture triggers is expected in this setting! I assume you are trying to do the reverse, set sense up but keep hold at a very low setting (CCW). Personally I would 'tune' into the material I would like to use to trigger the capture process by starting off with 'hold' fully CCW, turning up 'sense' to get some good triggering happening, then increasing the 'hold' to set the minimum capture time for each detected onset to make musical sense. If sense is set too high, it can appear to retrigger very randomly, as so many minute changes in timbre might be sufficient to be recognised as a new trigger, or in reverse that the analysed input is actually so overdriven that significant timbral changes to your ear might be masked by distortion of the audio signal.

The onset detection is FFT based, so its analysis is not dependent on an amplitude threshold as it would be using an envelop follower. Here, significant changes in the overall spectrum will cause the trigger.

Personally I am not aware of bugs around this feature, so if you manage to capture something on video and send it to me directly or to Instruo, that could be very helpful.
Last edited by slexer on Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:37 am

deleted

afaafa
Common Wiggler

Post by afaafa » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:37 am

I’ll see I can get it to happen again. It’s rare and I’m not fully sure it’s a real problem or just clumsiness on my part. It might be that the layer knob registers an unintended change when I’m using the button combo to switch to follow mode, and then I spend a few seconds trying to figure out why onsets are not triggering before switching it back to the first mode.

On an unrelated note, when dialed in the onset detection is quite good. The ability to get a chordal bloom of grains following a note is superb and sets Arbhar apart in the granular world.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 am

Hey, guys! If I sent you two files: 1.) Glass breaking, 2.) Explosion, would someone volunteer to time-stretch them as slow as you can and post a Soundcloud clip here? Thanks! PM me for files.

kshep
1-Post Wiggler

Post by kshep » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:58 am

Speaking of noise, last night after moving some things around in my Intellijel 7U 104hp I noticed some digital noise that hadn't been there before. Whenever I'd turn on the case, after a few seconds I'd start hearing the noise coming through the line out (the jacks built into the case). After some troubleshooting I discovered that with the Arbhar plugged into a power header, even with nothing patched into the module at all and with the module physically out of the case just connected via a power cable, when I'd route any OTHER module's output to the line out... even with everything turned down and no other patch cables in place... once the Arbhar booted up it would feed back noise into the system that would come through on the line out.

In other words, no patch cables in place anywhere else on the system, Arbhar physically out of the case connected only via power... as soon as I plugged any other module into the line out module I'd get the noise from the Arbhar on the line out signal.

This was with Arbhar plugged into one of the lower right headers, just a header or two away from where the line out module was plugged in.

Moving Arbhar to a header on the left edge of the board this morning eliminated the noise entirely. I haven't experimented to see whether it was because of how close the Arbhar power connection was to the line out power connection or if there's something about specific power headers... but just thought I'd pass along the observation.

EDIT: The Arbhar *itself* it still noisy... but it seems at least the noise isn't leaking back into the output module directly. If the Arbhar's not in the patch, everything's dead quiet :(

pr0t0
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pr0t0 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 am

I love this concept, but one thing is bothering me. When you pitch down (full CCW) to get more somber tones and plug a V/Oct keyboard (beatstep pro in this case), the pitch goes up, even with the lowest keyboard note, you can't get even close to the lowest 2 octaves below original pitch. Maybe something related with unipolar/bipolar CVs? I'd love to control lower pitches for drones and basses without having to rectify or offset the signal..
Thoughts?
FS - Orgone Accumulator

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:48 am

pr0t0 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 am
I love this concept, but one thing is bothering me. When you pitch down (full CCW) to get more somber tones and plug a V/Oct keyboard (beatstep pro in this case), the pitch goes up, even with the lowest keyboard note, you can't get even close to the lowest 2 octaves below original pitch. Maybe something related with unipolar/bipolar CVs? I'd love to control lower pitches for drones and basses without having to rectify or offset the signal..
Thoughts?
The v/oct input accepts +/-5v. What's the voltage on your lowest keyboard key? You might need to offset it with some negative voltage to get to -5v.

gran_syth
Common Wiggler

Post by gran_syth » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:12 pm

scragz wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:48 am
pr0t0 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 am
Thoughts?
The v/oct input accepts +/-5v. What's the voltage on your lowest keyboard key? You might need to offset it with some negative voltage to get to -5v.
Should also work if you pitch the arbhar to a lower transposition with the pitch pod for the lowest key on your keyboard. Then you'll get plenty of lower transposition for the other keys.

8cloud8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 8cloud8 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:19 am

slexer wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm
8cloud8 wrote:
I am trying to achieve a constant real-time processing of an external signal and have a problem with the Sense and Hold controls when sending audio into the Onset input. Even though they are turned 100% clockwise, strangely enough the Capture button keeps being triggered quite randomly and very seldom. ...
The hold controls the minimum duration between any recognised onsets that started a recording, so hold on 100% will ensure a full layer to be recorded in one take (10 seconds), without the capture processes being retriggered. So getting very sparse capture triggers is expected in this setting! I assume you are trying to do the reverse, set sense up but keep hold at a very low setting (CCW). Personally I would 'tune' into the material I would like to use to trigger the capture process by starting off with 'hold' fully CCW, turning up 'sense' to get some good triggering happening, then increasing the 'hold' to set the minimum capture time for each detected onset to make musical sense. If sense is set too high, it can appear to retrigger very randomly, as so many minute changes in timbre might be sufficient to be recognised as a new trigger, or in reverse that the analysed input is actually so overdriven that significant timbral changes to your ear might be masked by distortion of the audio signal.

The onset detection is FFT based, so its analysis is not dependent on an amplitude threshold as it would be using an envelop follower. Here, significant changes in the overall spectrum will cause the trigger.

Personally I am not aware of bugs around this feature, so if you manage to capture something on video and send it to me directly or to Instruo, that could be very helpful.
Thank you for your thorough explanation. My problem was eventually much less complex to solve: it seems that the audio source I was using (a drone coming from my 4MS SWN) was not strong enough to trigger the onset input circuit. I tried using a gate to transpose the 6 voices of the SWN and now the Capture button is triggered every time the gate fires.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”