Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Post by JRC » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:40 pm

Just got my hands on one of these as well. I love the hardware, UI and general workflow but, I noticed a few things that were kind of annoying right off the bat. Not sure if they are actual problems, or user error, but I've tried to follow the manual pretty closely...

1: Clearing info from any individual parameters (gates, cv, ratchet, etc.) clears the whole channel! I hope this isn't intended, and I don't think it is, because there is a procedure in the manual for this very thing. Learned the hard way that it doesn't seem to work.

2: I have a sequence of cv for channel 1 and channel 2 saved to the pattern 1 slot. If I then want to switch to a second pattern for channel 1, it switches channel 2's pattern as well. Shouldn't the patterns between channels be independent of each other?

3: I'm surprised it seems you can't shift a sequence left or right. Say I use the magic button on cv, and I really want step 3 to start the sequence, I should be able to shift the whole sequence to the left so step 3 becomes step 1 and the rest follow suit. I may have missed how to do that though.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:53 pm

#1 - might be a bug, I’ll see if I can duplicate the behavior. If it is a bug, strongly recommend sending a report into ES via email (link on the FW download page).

#2 - this is how it works. If you look at p13 of the manual it shows that tracks are below patterns in the hierarchy. In other words, a pattern is made up of 4 tracks, so when you change pattern you change all 4 tracks. Make sense? If you want a sequencer where tracks are independent of patterns, take a look at the Westlicht. It’s similar (and arguably more powerful) but nowhere near as easy to use (I have both).

#3 - this is a known issue. You can move the sequence, but it doesn’t “wrap”. Think many of us want this fixed.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:45 pm

batch wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:53 pm
#1 - might be a bug, I’ll see if I can duplicate the behavior. If it is a bug, strongly recommend sending a report into ES via email (link on the FW download page).

#2 - this is how it works. If you look at p13 of the manual it shows that tracks are below patterns in the hierarchy. In other words, a pattern is made up of 4 tracks, so when you change pattern you change all 4 tracks. Make sense? If you want a sequencer where tracks are independent of patterns, take a look at the Westlicht. It’s similar (and arguably more powerful) but nowhere near as easy to use (I have both).

#3 - this is a known issue. You can move the sequence, but it doesn’t “wrap”. Think many of us want this fixed.
1: Ah, right on. I just tried it again after reading your reply. Cycled power as well, and it still doesn't work. I start a new clean pattern, hit magic cv and magic gate. I then select the Gate mode and hold clear+ch1 (as per the manual) and it clears not only the gate info, but all cv and any other modes for the whole track. I've also tried just being in gate mode and holding clear+gate instead just to see if that would work. It doesn't. Guess I'll submit a bug report...frustrating.

2: Bummer, I guess I missed that detail in my research prior to buying it. Not sure yet if it's a deal breaker. I may just have to get used to it. I guess I could always just copy/paste whole patterns...I'll definitely check the Westlicht out. I think I may still be on the search for the sequencer that works best for me.

3: Really nice to know I'm not alone with this one!

Thanks so much for the reply!

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:10 am

For clearing Gates only... it's just that the manual is wrong. Reading thru the whole section, it turns out the instructions for clearing the entire track are the same as the instructions for clearing CV only, Gate only, etc... If you open the Gate page, press and hold Clear AND Shift, then hit the track number, it will do what you are trying to do.

EDIT: Also, I think the Clear, Copy, Paste could use some work. It's one of the few things about this sequencer that is not very intuitive.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:42 am

Hi!
New black sequencer user here.
I seem to have read people got a midi cable with it? Mine did not.
Also, what´s the latest firmaware 1.0?
Cheers

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:39 am

Yes it looks like the latest frimware is 1.0. You can find out on this page:
https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorac ... sequencer/

I had a single midi cable 3.5jack to DIN, and a micro SD card with adapter inside the box
By the way, anyone knows whether the cable works as MIDI out as well as MiDI in?
Last edited by Kosmikos on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:39 am

djthopa wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:42 am
Hi!
New black sequencer user here.
I seem to have read people got a midi cable with it? Mine did not.
Also, what´s the latest firmaware 1.0?
Cheers
Heya djthopa! I got mine used, but it did come with a midi cable. Can't tell if it's original though. The cable is a Type B though in case you need to buy one. And afaik, FW 1.0 is latest.

SingleCell wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:10 am
For clearing Gates only... it's just that the manual is wrong. Reading thru the whole section, it turns out the instructions for clearing the entire track are the same as the instructions for clearing CV only, Gate only, etc... If you open the Gate page, press and hold Clear AND Shift, then hit the track number, it will do what you are trying to do.

EDIT: Also, I think the Clear, Copy, Paste could use some work. It's one of the few things about this sequencer that is not very intuitive.
That did the trick! Thanks so much for clearing that one up!

The Black Sequencer, as is, feels like an early access game on steam... :razz:

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:40 am

A bloody good game then. ;)

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:56 am

Kosmikos wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:40 am
A bloody good game then. ;)
:tu:

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:03 am

Kosmikos wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:39 am
By the way, anyone knows whether the cable works as MIDI out as well as MiDI in?
I'm sure it would work on either of the jacks. I'm actually using it as midi out to sequence an OB6, I didn't realize (and haven't tried) midi in as I thought it wasn't implemented yet. I'll have to try midi in, when I'm back home!

wanne
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wanne » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:08 am

JRC wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:03 am
Kosmikos wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:39 am
I'm sure it would work on either of the jacks. I'm actually using it as midi out to sequence an OB6, I didn't realize (and haven't tried) midi in as I thought it wasn't implemented yet. I'll have to try midi in, when I'm back home!
midi in clock/start/stop works here :tu:

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:53 pm

SingleCell wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:10 am
Sweet! Thanks for this.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:01 pm

Thanks for the replies, and clarifications.
I had done midi adapters and have been using the black sequencer to sequence euro, vst, its a great module!
Using v 1.0 and have noth midi in and out working, but i get better sync with analog clock as expected.
Cheers

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:00 am

wanne wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:53 pm
JRC wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:36 pm
Hi there! I would also like to know if anyone knows what type of midi adapter it uses. I just got a hold of a used unit, but it did not come with the cable. Anyone know?

*btw Batch, your video certainly helped sell me on the Black Sequencer, so thank you!
Type B
Edit: I thought it was Type A, as the Elektron adapter didn't work, but it appears Perfect Circuit are wrongly saying the Elektron adapter is type B, when it's actually type A.

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:16 am

IDK anything about Model Cycles. But I'm pretty sure the Erica is type B.
EDIT: NM, previous post was corrected.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:34 pm

edit - solved

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:33 pm

picked one up during Vintage Kings $499 sale, wow what an awesome purchase. Really intuitive to use, the ratchet/retrigs/arps per step feature is loads of fun. haven't tried Midi In yet but can you transpose sequences over midi in the current firmware yet? I would like to see #3 above implemented in next update as well.
3: I'm surprised it seems you can't shift a sequence left or right. Say I use the magic button on cv, and I really want step 3 to start the sequence, I should be able to shift the whole sequence to the left so step 3 becomes step 1 and the rest follow suit. I may have missed how to do that though.

dave999z
Common Wiggler

Post by dave999z » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:37 pm

dubnspace wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:33 pm
picked one up during Vintage Kings $499 sale
Wow, great price.
Last edited by dave999z on Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm

dubnspace wrote:
...haven't tried Midi In yet but can you transpose sequences over midi in the current firmware yet? ....
I just tried it with two controllers. Couldn't get it to work.

But, just FYI in case you didn't know yet (I just figured it out tonight...) If you Shift+Magic you enter "performance" mode, and you can transpose sequences via pushing the step encoders.

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:47 pm

JRC wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm
dubnspace wrote:
...haven't tried Midi In yet but can you transpose sequences over midi in the current firmware yet? ....
I just tried it with two controllers. Couldn't get it to work.

But, just FYI in case you didn't know yet (I just figured it out tonight...) If you Shift+Magic you enter "performance" mode, and you can transpose sequences via pushing the step encoders.
cool thanks, gate fill in that mode is nice too.
yeah couldn't get it to transpose over CV or Midi so guess that's not functional yet.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:46 pm

Don’t think the MIDI or CV in work yet other than MIDI clock.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:07 am

SingleCell wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:16 am
IDK anything about Model Cycles. But I'm pretty sure the Erica is type B.
EDIT: NM, previous post was corrected.
Yeah, sorry for the alarm, PC wrongly state the Elektron adapter is type B on their site. I should have researched more before trying to be a smart arse :)

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:35 pm

It seems they updated the User Manual on their website. It says Dec 9th (I think it used to say Dec 10th, oddly)... but when I clicked on it, the file it opened is from yesterday (1/6/21)

They fixed the 'Clear CV only/Gate only, etc' instructions, and added the CV-glide Mod type. Not sure what else changed.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:51 pm

-S.L- wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:36 pm
I still think the Quantizer how it is right now is a big no go. I'm glad i actually work with external quantizer , i have plenty to choose from. But if this was my only sequencer and had not other choice than using the inside quantizer, I'd be pretty pissed off on how it works. Changing on the fly scales won't affect the melody, you first need to choose what scale you want to work with and.... deal with it ! That's mental if you ask me. Any other sequencer with on-board quantizer that I know, works the "logical" way, meaning you create whatever random sequence, then swap from scale to scale until you find a melody that suits your need. Here, no.

Appart from this major issue in my opinion, this is a very nice sequencer, very intuitive, simple to use and easy to have complex results, fast , without headache :)
I just ordered the sequencer but this comment is making me have doubt. Changing scales after I sequence is very important to me and I don't want to use an extra module for quantization, any idea if this is going to be addressed in an update?

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:45 pm

Well not only this is annoying, but also the number of scale available is ..... 9! :party:
Can't use it as it is, very poor choice and it's pre sequence. :foul:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”