Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

everythingcontinues
Common Wiggler

Re: Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Post by everythingcontinues » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:54 pm

SOPiiAC wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:01 pm
Zing! You really got me with your tired old trope! Perhaps in your haste to stick it to me you failed to think that maybe not everyone thinks a feature request deserves an individual support ticket. :hmm:
There's a section that's clearly marked for suggestions and feedback. I can confirm that they are responsive through this channel. It's about as clearly-marked, easily-found avenue to get in touch with them as could possibly exist with regard to your question.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:53 pm

You can also just email them
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

weirdo
Common Wiggler

Post by weirdo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:59 pm

I mailed their support a few days ago and requested also the cv-modulation of magic/pattern. They think about it but i hope that they really read this topic here and realise that there are quite a few other users who would like this feature (and not only on myffwiggler).

Otherwise this sequencer is really a joy to use and i find the current features and improvements via fw updates great so far.

Well done ! :)

Thoow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thoow » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:00 pm

I spent my sunday afternoon on figuring out, how to trigger the Black Sequencer from my Octatrack.
From my understaning, I should be able to send Midi from the OT to the Black Seqeuencer, select a Chanel, select Midi Chanel and set it to trough.
Without success.

Did anybody have more success on this combination?

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:55 pm

I received my Black Sequencer a couple of days ago: super happy with it.. except I seem to have an issue: the screen is going black pretty randomly but always when I'm performing an action... and it stays black. Only solution is to power cycle... which is.. not a solution when you're recording or performing live.

The first day, it happened once, as I push shift +1st and last knob.. which is not supposed todo anything, so I thought it was a bug.
Yesterday it did it twice (once when I was saving a pattern and the other one as I changed page).
And today 3 times, doing other things (but always using shift it seems).

Anybody has had this issue ? What can I try before contacting Erica Synths ?

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:29 pm

You can try upgrading to the latest firmware see if that helps, but to be honest it sounds like you need to create a support ticket.
Good luck, hopefully it’ll get resolved soon.

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Upgrading is the first thing I did.. I'll create a support ticket. Thanks

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:46 pm

koyl wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:55 pm
I received my Black Sequencer a couple of days ago: super happy with it.. except I seem to have an issue: the screen is going black pretty randomly but always when I'm performing an action... and it stays black. Only solution is to power cycle... which is.. not a solution when you're recording or performing live.

The first day, it happened once, as I push shift +1st and last knob.. which is not supposed todo anything, so I thought it was a bug.
Yesterday it did it twice (once when I was saving a pattern and the other one as I changed page).

Mine went black screen once, but it happened while I was away from it. I had to power cycle. That was some weeks ago and it hasn't happened since.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:03 pm

koyl wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:55 pm

How much power headroom do you have left in your case? Try swapping ribbon cables, and also try removing a few power hungry modules from the rig to see if that changes anything. Might help narrow down to if it's a power issue or not.
Last edited by auditorycanvas on Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:55 pm

I’m really liking the updated firmware! I’m using one of the channels to modulate the cv on the other channels - does anyone know if there is a way to make the clock divide slower than 1/8 on any of the individual channels?

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:12 am

black_label wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:55 pm
I’m really liking the updated firmware! I’m using one of the channels to modulate the cv on the other channels - does anyone know if there is a way to make the clock divide slower than 1/8 on any of the individual channels?
You could trick it into playing each step longer using the Repeat function.

SarahB
Common Wiggler

Post by SarahB » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 am

Just curious if the black sequencer can act as a midi to cv interface with the new firmware? I would use the onboard sequencing too, but it would be useful to be able to send midi from my daw sometimes? Is this possible?

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 am

SarahB wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 am
Just curious if the black sequencer can act as a midi to cv interface with the new firmware? I would use the onboard sequencing too, but it would be useful to be able to send midi from my daw sometimes? Is this possible?
Yeah it can do that.

SarahB
Common Wiggler

Post by SarahB » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Great, thank you

Dog Made Out Of Wigs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dog Made Out Of Wigs » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:33 am

How are you folks finding the modulation workflow on this (setting up LFOs, envelopes, CV sequencing)? Is it fun to play around with and try different options?

From videos it looks a slight (not huge) faff to set up modulation, but I thought the same about Pam's and was completely wrong.

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:07 am

Dog Made Out Of Wigs wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:33 am
How are you folks finding the modulation workflow on this (setting up LFOs, envelopes, CV sequencing)? Is it fun to play around with and try different options?

From videos it looks a slight (not huge) faff to set up modulation, but I thought the same about Pam's and was completely wrong.
Setting modulations is really super easy, and the graphic interface for doing so is great. I especially love the random S&H function on the LFO, or programming filter variations on the CV screen.

My only annoyance is that it seems impossible to get very slow LFO out of it (I think the minimum is 0.3 Hz).
Also it would have been great to have a scale on the CV range as entering small increment doesn’t show very much variation on the CV screen and small variations require holding the shift key (otherwise it goes by 10 increments). But that’s a minor detail.

I also seem to have cases where I have no mod out unless there is a gate programmed, which seems a bit counter intuitive for some modes, this said I still need to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Dog Made Out Of Wigs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dog Made Out Of Wigs » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:01 am

Cheers, great to hear!

Now I just need to find half a grand somewhere. :| Have already looked down the back of the sofa with no luck.

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:00 pm

There's a new Manual up on their website, which means there's a patch coming any day now. The first thing I noticed is we can change the output level per step of the AR envelope and Step LFO. Not sure what else is different.

I'd LOVE it if we could change the SLEW RATE per step, on Slided Step CV mod... at risk of sounding like a broken record.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 pm

So can the CV IN be used to approximate gesture recordings from MOD? I often wish the Mimetic Digitalis could be slewed so I usually just do that in patching, but I'm basically wanting knob record or joystick record functions.

Can this knob record with CV IN and not sound stepped? Are there any examples? I've watched a few long videos and didn't see anything that wasn't using a keyboard to record.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:32 am

@hawkfuzz:
As I understand it, it records the value at each step, and then slews between them. The slew lasts the entire duration of each step. It's like connect-the-dots, with a 'dot' at each step of the sequence. If your movements are slow, it might make a reasonably accurate recording of them, but it can't change direction during the timespan of a single step, for example.

If you look at page 11 of the manual, Slided Step Modulation, I think that gives you a good idea what you'll get from CV Mod Recording.

Cornerman
Common Wiggler

Post by Cornerman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:31 am

Got one yesterday, looking forward diving in this thing.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:16 am

Thanks. That’s the page I was looking at that had me excited! I was hoping it was kinda free like the LFO but know it has to be somewhat limited.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

RingAndTones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RingAndTones » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:09 am

SingleCell wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:00 pm
There's a new Manual up on their website, which means there's a patch coming any day now. The first thing I noticed is we can change the output level per step of the AR envelope and Step LFO. Not sure what else is different.

I'd LOVE it if we could change the SLEW RATE per step, on Slided Step CV mod... at risk of sounding like a broken record.
Good find! :hyper:

I compared the new manual with the one from 1.02 and I found these new features:
- decay envelope level per step
- ASR envelope level per step
- ADSR overall level
- LFO level per step

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Check it....

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:07 pm

Too bad they don't share how they did that. Pretty cool.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”