Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Post by batch » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:23 pm

OK, so just tried a few things out. Was unable to get copying and pasting across projects working. Interestingly it did do a paste, but the resulting pattern was null. Copying and pasting patterns across banks does work though.

I think this is because when in a project you are working within the internal memory, when you load the new project it loads everything, and so wipes the internal memory. Would need ES to confirm this.

Anyway, the last idea of doing this by copying the files on the SD card DOES work. There is a project folder, you can simply copy the file over. The sequence files start 00, 01, etc. I didn’t try renaming them, it would expect that this will simply move them to different slots. So yes, you can move patterns across projects, but not in the sequencer itself.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:49 pm

Renaming the files also works. Couple of other things have noticed.

1. Shift + Pattern does not work in the pattern page. Works in all other pages.
2. Loading a new project when the sequence is running is instant (not at that end of the running sequence), and will load the last running track in that project. But it’s also instant in that it doesn’t miss a beat. Very different to say the Westlichtmwhich basically shuts down for a second or so when you do card operations.

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 pm

Something that caught my attention while looking at the online manual (they updated it recently, though the date on the link doesn't reflect that)
There are instructions for several features that I (and others) have been asking for:

1. The ability to select multiple steps and edit them simultaneously.
2. The ability to 'rotate' the sequence.

I tried it, and these things aren't implemented in the current firmware, but it's nice to see they are coming.

auditorycanvas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by auditorycanvas » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:34 pm

batch wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:23 pm
OK, so just tried a few things out. Was unable to get copying and pasting across projects working. Interestingly it did do a paste, but the resulting pattern was null. Copying and pasting patterns across banks does work though.

I think this is because when in a project you are working within the internal memory, when you load the new project it loads everything, and so wipes the internal memory. Would need ES to confirm this.

Anyway, the last idea of doing this by copying the files on the SD card DOES work. There is a project folder, you can simply copy the file over. The sequence files start 00, 01, etc. I didn’t try renaming them, it would expect that this will simply move them to different slots. So yes, you can move patterns across projects, but not in the sequencer itself.
Thanks for digging it. Good to know it's possible via file editing. I had done a lot of edits to a pattern, and rather than save it to another pattern or bank, I wanted to save it to a new project. I wrongly assumed that creating a new project would save it to a project...I lost my edits, and discovered that's not how it works haha.

It's not a huge deal. I can always save it to a new pattern or bank, and then edit the file later if I really want to move patterns around projects.

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:54 am

THIS JUST IN!

1.01 CHANGELOG

- Added I/O config (MIDI&CV routing functions ADD, FILL, ADDFILL, THRU added)
- Step selection / Multi-edit (Hold DATA encoder and then press step keys to select steps, then turn any of the selected step encoders to adjust parameter for all selected steps at the same time)

- MAGIC for selected steps (apply MAGIC function to selected steps)

- MUTE arming (hold MUTE key and then press CH keys to arm)

- Step rotation feature (hold SHIFT and press BAR buttons to rotate the sequence left or right)

- GUI improvements

- Bug fixes
+ Clock out PPQN settings not saved/loaded
+ Unable to paste patterns/songs in other project
+ Last loaded project did not load on start
+ Song mode did not start correctly from MIDI
+ Wrong LFO shape names
+ When adding MAGIC to whole track, scale was not applied

EDIT: Bugger. I mistakenly assumed the Midi/CV inputs being functional meant real-time recording was implemented. Does not appear to be the case.
The new editing features are very nice though.
Last edited by SingleCell on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:00 am

Regarding quantization I recieved a reply
"Thank you for the request!
We will see what we can do about this option in the future firmware updates.
Best regards,
Emils"

So there is hope!
I just recieved my module, updated it to firmware 1, and I noticed that when I hold magic and click on a track it says shazam track x but it doesn't change anything.
It works when I select cv / gate etc but not when I select a track. Am I missing something?

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:08 am

viroxx wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:00 am
I just recieved my module, updated it to firmware 1, and I noticed that when I hold magic and click on a track it says shazam track x but it doesn't change anything.
It works when I select cv / gate etc but not when I select a track. Am I missing something?
You have to tell it which parameters you want it to Magic. Press & Hold Setup, and press Magic. Scroll thru with encoder. Press encoder to select parameters you want it to effect. The little circles on the left side column fill in when selected. showing you which ones are going to be applied.

The selections made here have no effect when you Magic just a specific page of parameters, only when you Magic the whole track.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 am

SingleCell wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:08 am
viroxx wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:00 am
You have to tell it which parameters you want it to Magic. Press & Hold Setup, and press Magic. Scroll thru with encoder. Press encoder to select parameters you want it to effect. The little circles on the left side column fill in when selected. showing you which ones are going to be applied.

The selections made here have no effect when you Magic just a specific page of parameters, only when you Magic the whole track.
Thank you!

Girts23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Girts23 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 am

Dear colleagues, Black Sequencer users!
We are happy to announce FW V1.01 with plenty of new, previously unplanned, features, analogue/MIDI inputs enabled and few bug fixes! Head to https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorac ... sequencer/ and download the new firmware and updated User Manual.
Backlog:
- Added I/O config (MIDI&CV routing functions ADD, FILL, ADDFILL, THRU added)
- Step selection / Multi-edit (Hold DATA encoder and then press step keys to select steps, then turn any of the selected step encoders to adjust parameter for all selected steps at the same time!)
- MAGIC for selected steps (apply MAGIC function to selected steps - nice way to slightly alter the sequence)
- Mute arming (hold MUTE key and then press CH keys to arm)
- Step rotation added (SHIFT + BAR buttons)
- GUI improvements
- Bug fixes

Record functionality coming soon!
Have fun!
Girts

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:10 am

Girts23 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 am
Record functionality coming soon!
Sweet!

The new editing features are great. Thanks for that!

I found a bug: If you are editing a pattern, then switch to another pattern that is quantized to a different scale, and start editing notes, it will quantize the notes to the scale of the previous pattern until you open up the quantize page. Then it remembers what scale it is supposed to be quantized to and behaves properly. Oddly, Magic doesn't have this problem.

Request: The Midi/CV ins could very much use an offset/transpose setting. For example, when using the Midi-in ADD function, my little Minilogue XD can't be transposed down to C0, so even the lowest possible key is going to transpose the whole sequence up by a couple octaves.

EDIT: OR... make C4 = 0v when ADD is active, then we can transpose up or down. TBH tho, I don't see myself using ADD much unless it can be made to adhere to the quantized key signature of the song.
Last edited by SingleCell on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:17 am

Oh ... these updates sounds great, can’t wait to try!

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:59 pm

Just ran the firmware update and seems awesome so far ! Loving the GUI improvements, much easier to see whats going on now.
Step selection/multi edit instantly so useful too ! Looking forward to a deeper dive later
Last edited by lyesmel on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:05 pm

Appreciate the early beta adopters as the Black Sequencer along with Vector are definitely on my future wish list once the kinks are worked out. Probably in few years when I build a massive 18u system would get one along with more Erica Synth modules hehe.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Drmdmamd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Drmdmamd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 am

Appreciate the firmware update Erica! Will dig into this later.

auditorycanvas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by auditorycanvas » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:26 am

batch wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:49 pm
Renaming the files also works. Couple of other things have noticed.

1. Shift + Pattern does not work in the pattern page. Works in all other pages.
2. Loading a new project when the sequence is running is instant (not at that end of the running sequence), and will load the last running track in that project. But it’s also instant in that it doesn’t miss a beat. Very different to say the Westlichtmwhich basically shuts down for a second or so when you do card operations.
Today’s update included:

+ Unable to paste patterns/songs in other project

Gold!!!!

auditorycanvas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by auditorycanvas » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:27 am

Loving this update. Thanks Erica synths!!

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 am

I've had Rene 2, Eloquencer, an Octatrack, a Keystep Pro, and this sequencer is my favorite by far.
-The workflow is great, I love how the buttons and the system is laid out, it's easy and quick to use.
-The magic button is amazing, it's great to have instant access to randomizations and to be able to deeply customize them.
-The constant updates and quick replies from Erica synths show great customer service, I'm sure any bugs we find will be taken care of and our requests will be heard.

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 am

The new updates rule, thank you! Only thing left (personally speaking) is the record functionality. Can't wait! That said, everything added so far is huge!

Bomauch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bomauch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 am

I'm pretty seriously considering a Black Sequencer but have a question about the randomization of CV- is it possible to randomize the CV per step, so that every time the sequence runs, there is a different CV value each time? Specifically, is it possible to have a different note on a single step within a range of values every time a sequence is played? The only sequencer that I've used that can do this is the Novation Launchpad pro mk3 with the Mutation feature.

wanne
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wanne » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 am

Bomauch wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 am
I'm pretty seriously considering a Black Sequencer but have a question about the randomization of CV- is it possible to randomize the CV per step, so that every time the sequence runs, there is a different CV value each time? Specifically, is it possible to have a different note on a single step within a range of values every time a sequence is played? The only sequencer that I've used that can do this is the Novation Launchpad pro mk3 with the Mutation feature.
eloquencer can do this !

Bomauch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bomauch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 am

Cool thanks for letting me know that! Was just wondering if the Black Sequencer could do this, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:32 pm

Bomauch wrote:
I don't think you can automate/save this sort of functionality, which is what I think you want to do. The closest thing to this would be to select whichever steps you want to "mutate" and hit the Magic button. But, afaik, that is a totally manual function. That would definitely be a cool feature though! Say you "mark" the last step (or highlighted steps) of the sequence to "auto-magic", then what ever is selected on the Magic setup page gets applied.

Bomauch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bomauch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Gotcha! Yes, an auto-magic function would be incredible and extremely powerful. I would rather not have to manually trigger it because I would want that single step to be constantly changing. That would be my first request for a future firmware addition! Regardless tho, still seems like a powerful sequencer, and I'm still thinking about going for it. :)

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:31 pm

JRC wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:32 pm
... then what ever is selected on the Magic setup page gets applied.
Or when the “gate in” is high!

I’ve been thinking, given the firmware is still being worked on, and Erica is listening to our feedback why don’t we compile a wish list of features! I for one would love to see some CV control of the magic function, ratchets, probability and the like.

Ps. The new firmware is awesome!

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:55 pm

wanne wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 am
Bomauch wrote:
eloquencer can do this !
Westlicht PerFormer can also do this - you can program, for any step, a Note Range and then set the Probability that the step with switch to other notes.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”