Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Post by batch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Bachelard wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:55 pm
wanne wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 am
Bomauch wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 am
I'm pretty seriously considering a Black Sequencer but have a question about the randomization of CV- is it possible to randomize the CV per step, so that every time the sequence runs, there is a different CV value each time? Specifically, is it possible to have a different note on a single step within a range of values every time a sequence is played? The only sequencer that I've used that can do this is the Novation Launchpad pro mk3 with the Mutation feature.
eloquencer can do this !
Westlicht PerFormer can also do this - you can program, for any step, a Note Range and then set the Probability that the step with switch to other notes.
Copper Traces Seek too
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:36 pm

batch wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:51 pm
Bachelard wrote:
wanne wrote:
Bomauch wrote:
I'm pretty seriously considering a Black Sequencer but have a question about the randomization of CV- is it possible to randomize the CV per step, so that every time the sequence runs, there is a different CV value each time? Specifically, is it possible to have a different note on a single step within a range of values every time a sequence is played? The only sequencer that I've used that can do this is the Novation Launchpad pro mk3 with the Mutation feature.
eloquencer can do this !
Westlicht PerFormer can also do this - you can program, for any step, a Note Range and then set the Probability that the step with switch to other notes.
Copper Traces Seek too
FrapTools USTA can do this.
Squarp Hermod can do it, with the Random MIDI Effect. One thing I think is really cool about this one (though I haven't actually used the Hermod) is you can set it to randomize Octaves, rather than half-steps. I wish more sequencers had that in their probability features.

viroxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viroxx » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:01 am

I would also love more randomization features and an octave randomization option :)
Love randomization :)

aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:39 am

CV randomization would be nice - why not have a step below C0, eg "M' that uses the current magic range and scale to select a random pitch - should not use that much extra UX

With the current firmware you can maybe fake it with some effort, e.g. use a mod-trigger to capture a S&H feeding into CV-in for that step only

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:41 am

I continue to think that the Black Sequencer is one of the easiest, most intuitive sequencers to play with. Just a great balance of size, functionality and ease of use. It’s great. Adding more capabilities that can be CV controlled would be amazing. I think the sequencer really has 4 in’s - 2 CV (CV In, Mod In) and 2 gate (Gate In, Rst In). Having some form of mod matrix where these can be assigned would be awesome. Given this could get complicated very quickly this would probably be easiest if you had a setup page where you could add/edit/ delete mod routings. I would argue that this would replace the current IO page which seems a bit static because I think you want at least 3 editable - ie, which in, to what parameter, and how it should effect that parameter. For example, the current options are That CV In goes to Track/ Pitch and is Added (or replaces) the sequence. Would be nice to have attenuation available in the matrix too.

Then I think it would be great to add more options for things that can be CV controlled. Given the huge amount of functionality that this sequence has, there is a lot that could be done.

Use a gate
- to change (eg. Random while high, backwards while high)
- apply magic
- add ratchet
- apply microtiming
- sequence song mode
- apply probability
- turn on arp
- change user scale
- mute or solo a track
- applies glide

And use CV to control the amount of any of these and ranges could be setup in the magic section. In addition to this would be nice to have CV

- subtracted (not just add) from pitch
- add/ subtract to Mod
- shuffle
- BPMs

Adding/ subtracting really require the option for quantizer to be after the sequence so that any CV adding is in scale.

Assuming we’re going to have recording capabilities at some point have controls over what reset does

- “run” on high
- trigger recording

Some other random thoughts

1. Require encode click to change BPM so you can go from 120 to 80 without having to scroll through all the bits in the middle
2. Quantize apply magic - ie make change at end of loop not immediately
3. Change Mod set up so that changing mod type requires an encoder click to confirm. Currently it changes immediately as you move through the menu.

Appreciate that this is a long wish list. I love this sequencer as is.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 am

batch wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:51 pm
Bachelard wrote:
wanne wrote:
Bomauch wrote:
eloquencer can do this !
Copper Traces Seek too
Five12 Vector as well.

sandspit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sandspit » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Hello, I'm a new owner of the Black Sequencer and I am so far quite excited about this module. Very intuitive, and simple to get into. Cheers to the Erica team for a great sequencer, I only hope I can get it to play nicely with everything else in my system. I will note that I have had some sync/reset issues with the Black Seq so far, paired with my Erica Drum Sequencer and other clock sources, but I'll hold off on posting about those until I can run some more tests and articulate specifics.

In the meantime, can someone tell me where to find a comprehensive overview of the feature updates/fixes? With so many revisions, and a manual which is not up to date, it's a bit tricky to keep track of some of the new functionality. Because each firmware update only lists the fixes/updates in that particular update, it would be nice to have an ongoing list of these updates.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:36 pm

The manual is actually up to date, or at least pretty close. Has the new features in 1.01, anything else, this thread is probably the best place and happy to help answer and specific questions you have.

sandspit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sandspit » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 pm

batch wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:36 pm
The manual is actually up to date, or at least pretty close. Has the new features in 1.01, anything else, this thread is probably the best place and happy to help answer and specific questions you have.
My bad if I missed the manual revisions! I'll read through it again

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

They updated it without changing the date on the website so it’s definitely a bit confusing!

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:30 pm

I can’t wait for recording of v/oct via CV in!!
Am I nuts/dreaming, or do I remember this feature being planned?
Anyone?

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:50 am

Girts23 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 am
Record functionality coming soon!
Have fun!
Girts
Also, from manual:
FEATURES
> 4 CV/GATE/Modulation tracks
> CV/GATE/MOD recording
> MIDI IN and MIDI OUT

..... not nuts/dreaming.

davegutt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by davegutt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 am

What an upgrade from my Orbitals.

UI suggestion -
Currently, when dialing in notes with scale set to none (page 7 of the manual) the UI shows the note in a large font, and next to it a meter for microtonal adjustments. When you're in a quantized scale, this meter has no function. Since it's taking up space already, I think it would be useful to show how many intervals away from the root as you make adjustments. IE I'm set to C Major, turn my dial to E and it shows me a '3' on the meter.'

And yeah, being able to ping the Magic button with MOD In would be cheat codes for ambient/generative music.

sandspit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sandspit » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:44 pm

davegutt wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 am
And yeah, being able to ping the Magic button with MOD In would be cheat codes for ambient/generative music.
Agreed that magic pinging via CV would be the ultimate for this sequencer.

Perhaps others have already suggested something like this, but here's my take:

I would love to be able to ping certain magic parameters via CV, where we could use v/oct or some other CV value, and assign it by track and parameter, to each of the potential magic destinations. If we could do this, we could even self patch from a mod track on one of the four tracks to sequence exactly when and what you want to get the magic ping. You could set up the magic ping either through a value system of v/oct, or use the 1-100 CV value scale that corresponds to the Black Sequencer's own mod track. Under the former value scheme (v/oct.), you could use any keyboard or other simple sequencer to trigger the assigned magic parameters. Under the latter value scheme (CV 1-100), you could self patch from the Black Seq itself, using the mod track of one voice for "magic" duties, where, for example, 10 volts could ping track 1, 20 volts could ping track 2, etc. The next obvious step would be to break it down into the other magic targets for that particular track. 11 volts would ping track 1, value 1 (CV), 12 volts would ping track 1, value 2(glide), etc. Again, if using v/oct., certain notes can trigger the magic parameters in a similar fashion. Something like this would be unbelievably powerful.

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:20 pm

One more for the wish list: Being able to manually trigger steps via pushing the encoders. Would be huge to be able to dial in notes, gates, envelopes per step while working on a sequence. Or, maybe add this to the Perform page?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”