Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Re: Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Post by Back Down the Path » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:13 am

RingAndTones wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:37 am
Pulled the trigger on the Black Sequencer and am beyond excited. Gonna be replacing a Metropolis (which I love, but only 1CV/gate), Varigate 4+ (which I hate because of the non matching slider positions when switching channels. Confuses me all the time) and the PEXP-1. I only hope I don't lose too much of the performance-oriented Metropolis sequencing. I really like to just hit play and evolve from a starting sequence and see where it takes me. But I guess that's what "magic" is for.
I switched from a Metro and the only thing I miss is the quantization being post sequence, and those sweet spot sequences you sometimes stumble upon with with the 2 mod inputs. With a Metro you can accidentally create a really musical and evolving sequence.

We’re not quite there yet with Black Sequencer, but it has SO MUCH more than Metro and they’re not done yet!

mat1
Common Wiggler

Post by mat1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:02 am

Just ordered one of these. Looks like they've come up with a great workflow.

One question/feature request - Is there a way to restrict the encoders to within a specified octave range? Most musically useful melodies are within a couple of octaves at most so it would be good to be able to set this - probably at the same time you're setting the quantisation. I assume this was the reason behind having this setting in the magic configuration - so you actually end up with something pleasing.

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:57 pm

mat1 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:02 am
Just ordered one of these. Looks like they've come up with a great workflow.

One question/feature request - Is there a way to restrict the encoders to within a specified octave range? Most musically useful melodies are within a couple of octaves at most so it would be good to be able to set this - probably at the same time you're setting the quantisation. I assume this was the reason behind having this setting in the magic configuration - so you actually end up with something pleasing.
There isn't... but the rotary encoders have detents and the distance to the next note is always the same, one click (though the 'next note' is dependent on the scale you are quantized to). So, it isn't like the sequencers that use sliders, where lowering the range makes it much easier to dial in a specific note. On the Erica it wouldn't have that effect/advantage. I guess what I am saying is, with the way the Erica works, I'm not sure how being able to set the range would be very useful (outside of the Magic setting, where it is very useful).

That said, I think being able to lower the range on the CV mod outs would be useful.

mat1
Common Wiggler

Post by mat1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:30 am

SingleCell wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:57 pm
There isn't... but the rotary encoders have detents and the distance to the next note is always the same, one click (though the 'next note' is dependent on the scale you are quantized to). So, it isn't like the sequencers that use sliders, where lowering the range makes it much easier to dial in a specific note. On the Erica it wouldn't have that effect/advantage. I guess what I am saying is, with the way the Erica works, I'm not sure how being able to set the range would be very useful (outside of the Magic setting, where it is very useful).

That said, I think being able to lower the range on the CV mod outs would be useful.
I see what you're saying. Perhaps a compromise would be one note every two (or three) detents as an option? It would mean you get to use more of the knob range, not just the one bit where your useful notes are. I imagine it's extremely rare that someone would use the full range on a single part.

I think 303s sequencers are 3 octaves and 101s are around 4.5 octaves. Probably for good reason!

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:51 am

mat1 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:30 am
SingleCell wrote:

I see what you're saying. Perhaps a compromise would be one note every two (or three) detents as an option? It would mean you get to use more of the knob range, not just the one bit where your useful notes are. I imagine it's extremely rare that someone would use the full range on a single part.

I think 303s sequencers are 3 octaves and 101s are around 4.5 octaves. Probably for good reason!
Huh. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. I think when you actually get the thing and try it, this request won't make so much sense.... but then again maybe I'm wrong.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:47 am

mat1 wrote:
SingleCell wrote:
[...] That said, I think being able to lower the range on the CV mod outs would be useful.

Really think you need to try it.

When on the CV page the encoders move in scale notes. If you want bigger jumps then Shift + encoder will move in octaves. The encoders have a nice chunky, clicky feel to them so it’s very easy to dial in any sequence. I think anything other than this would make it weird. Imagine - if a click was 3 notes, how would you dial in a sequence than used notes two degrees apart? And how would that work with a pentatonic scale?

Anyway, it’s not like you are going to be turning the Rotary knobs and suddenly find you are several octaves up or down (unless you want to and use shift). It doesn’t work that way.

On the mod CV note page it’s the opposite way around, rotary moves in octaves and shift+rotary moves in notes.

Haven’t had a 303, but did build an X0X Heart. Am guessing the 303 sequencer range is only 3 octaves as the VCO only tracks 1V-5V.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 am

mat1 wrote:
Perhaps a compromise would be one note every two (or three) detents as an option? It would mean you get to use more of the knob range, not just the one bit where your useful notes are. I imagine it's extremely rare that someone would use the full range on a single part.
I also don’t think your worry is a problem in practice. The Black Sequencer knobs are endless encoders. So scrolling through the notes of all octaves already takes multiple turns. It’s precise enough and “zooming in” wouldn’t help at all in my opinion.

mat1
Common Wiggler

Post by mat1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:38 am

You guys are right of course, just moved the default note to C3 and it's perfect. Encoders feel great. Think I've written the lead sound for a new song already.

Just need to figure out the reset behaviour so I can keep it in sync with ableton

mat1
Common Wiggler

Post by mat1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:53 am

Ok so one more question..

I've got it sync'd via midi clock. Is there a way to set this up so it resets the sequencer via midi?

It works fine with a reset trigger coming from Ableton but could do with saving the output.

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:15 pm

Is this the place to find out when new updates will hit? A guy on FB said today or tomorrow .... where can I find that kind of info? Is Erica Synths active in this thread like Os from Expert Sleepers is in his threads? They don't seem to have a forum of their own.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:29 pm

ForAiur wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:15 pm
Is this the place to find out when new updates will hit? A guy on FB said today or tomorrow .... where can I find that kind of info? Is Erica Synths active in this thread like Os from Expert Sleepers is in his threads? They don't seem to have a forum of their own.
A quick glance at this thread and you will see that Erica Synths are active in this thread ;)
They always post as the firmware drops

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 pm

I just look at their website:
https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorac ... sequencer/

It seems that there has already been a 1.01 update on the 11th that I have missed. Still no list of all changes. Anyone know what has been changed?

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 pm
I just look at their website:
https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorac ... sequencer/

It seems that there has already been a 1.01 update on the 11th that I have missed. Still no list of all changes. Anyone know what has been changed?
again, all listed on here if you scroll back a few pages !

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:21 am

The recording functionality looks awesome on Molten Music's review on YouTube....can't WAIT to load this firmware when it comes out!
Wish it were now for the weekend! =)

mat1
Common Wiggler

Post by mat1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:26 am

Gotta say I love this thing so far. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for from my Turing machine.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:35 pm

With the CV / gate inputs the Black Seq can do some interesting self patching stuff. I’ve got a 16 step sequence going from channel 1 which is controlling a synth voice, and 14 step sequence on channel 2 with just a couple of steps turned on, routed into the CV and gate inputs, which are set to ‘addfill’ on channel 1. So I get a constantly shifting variation in my sequence. Very nice.

It’s also nice to use a gate output (either the mod output of channel 1 or the gate output of another channel) to determine when to ‘addfill’ on channel one whilst feeding the CV input from a random source like marbles which is quantised to the same scale. This allows you control which steps in the sequence get a random CV value and which play the sequence.

Bloody excellent sequencer this.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:52 pm

mat1 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:53 am
Ok so one more question..

I've got it sync'd via midi clock. Is there a way to set this up so it resets the sequencer via midi?

It works fine with a reset trigger coming from Ableton but could do with saving the output.
If you're sending sync from Ableton to the Erica, it automatically resets on start/stop from Abelton. Did you check "remote" in Ableton's midi settings for that midi output?

mat1
Common Wiggler

Post by mat1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:38 am

auditorycanvas wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:52 pm
Did you check "remote" in Ableton's midi settings for that midi output?
Thanks, that's what I was missing. Working perfectly now :hail:

Paulyvoks
Common Wiggler

Post by Paulyvoks » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:22 am

I can't wait for this new firmware. It looks absolutely stellar.
Hopefully squashing some bugs, and it will be soon!

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:54 pm

This thing is so damn good, even better than I expected. After two days of always trying everything in the manual and advancing further, the Mod stuff blew me away. Song mode is also something that is missing from so many sequencers. The best thing is that everything is so easy and direct. You read it twice, maybe thrice, and you know it! CONGRATS!

Is there a bug where settings are reverted without you doing anything? I made a completely new project, and whenever I change MOD type or end of RANGE, after a few seconds it jumps back to what it was before. Super strange.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0XQ8PcW ... FTGpQZ0V8w

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:23 am

Curious can you have different pattern lengths for the gate, CV, and mod within the same channel?

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:23 am

Lokua wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:23 am
Curious can you have different pattern lengths for the gate, CV, and mod within the same channel?
No.

4LEW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 4LEW » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:23 am

Looking to add it to my slowly evolving rack.The only thing that bothers me is limitation to 4 channels only. I could use some of mod outputs for trigger sequences, but do features like ratchets or probability work on these?

realeoin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by realeoin » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:03 am

Probably written here already but I'm in work and not really meant to be trawling through forums.. but do the clicky encoder knobs mean that only quantized note values can be selected?

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:20 am

realeoin wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:03 am
Probably written here already but I'm in work and not really meant to be trawling through forums.. but do the clicky encoder knobs mean that only quantized note values can be selected?
No, you can also have no scale and tune by much smaller increment if that’s your thing.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”