Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

realeoin
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Post by realeoin » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:43 am

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:20 am
No, you can also have no scale and tune by much smaller increment if that’s your thing.
Cool. I should probably just have a look at the manual but increments of how small are we talking here? Cents?

I'm guessing that despite the look of a classic analogue sequencer with knobs and that, this feels quite different to a classic analogue sequencer

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:23 am

realeoin wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:43 am
Kosmikos wrote:
No, you can also have no scale and tune by much smaller increment if that’s your thing.
Cool. I should probably just have a look at the manual but increments of how small are we talking here? Cents?

I'm guessing that despite the look of a classic analogue sequencer with knobs and that, this feels quite different to a classic analogue sequencer
Yes, I had a Behringer Sequential Controller before my Black Sequencer, and it is a totally different experience.
(TBH the tuning drove me crazy as I didn’t have a quantiser at the time).

Here’s what the Black Sequencer’s manual says about the increments:
For microtonal scales, rotate the relevant encoder clockwise to increase the tune for up to 50 cents and counterclockwise to decrease it for up to 50 cents. The OLED will indicate microtonal changes next to the relevant note in the scale.
Increments are one cent by one cent, so lots of clickety clicks and using the shift button you go directly to the next semitone.

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:45 am

4LEW wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:23 am
Looking to add it to my slowly evolving rack.The only thing that bothers me is limitation to 4 channels only. I could use some of mod outputs for trigger sequences, but do features like ratchets or probability work on these?
No. Using the Mod Tracks for triggers just gives you 'trig on/off', per step. Nothing fancy.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:37 am

SingleCell wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:45 am
4LEW wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:23 am
Looking to add it to my slowly evolving rack.The only thing that bothers me is limitation to 4 channels only. I could use some of mod outputs for trigger sequences, but do features like ratchets or probability work on these?
No. The Mod Trigger tracks are just 'trig on/off', per step. Nothing fancy.
I would think of it it first and foremost as a CV (ie. bass lines, melodies, etc.) sequencer versus a trigger/ gate sequencer. Yes it could be used to sequence percussion, but there are other sequencers that are more focused on that task including Erica’s Drum Sequencer. If you want something similar to that but smaller footprint, check the Roubaux SWT16+ which is what I use with it. But there are a lot of good options out there.

If you really want everything in one sequencer would consider looking at the Westlicht per|former which has 8 channels, or the WMD Metron with Voltera extender. Might get you want you want.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

4LEW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 4LEW » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:21 pm

batch wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:37 am
SingleCell wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:45 am
No. The Mod Trigger tracks are just 'trig on/off', per step. Nothing fancy.
I would think of it it first and foremost as a CV (ie. bass lines, melodies, etc.) sequencer versus a trigger/ gate sequencer. Yes it could be used to sequence percussion, but there are other sequencers that are more focused on that task including Erica’s Drum Sequencer. If you want something similar to that but smaller footprint, check the Roubaux SWT16+ which is what I use with it. But there are a lot of good options out there.

If you really want everything in one sequencer would consider looking at the Westlicht per|former which has 8 channels, or the WMD Metron with Voltera extender. Might get you want you want.
Ok thanks. Not really looking for a full drum kit sequencer as I have most of drums covered with my MPC sampler, also used to sync all my midi and cv devices. I was just hoping for that trigger mode to give me some extra options to sequence my DFAM or Basimilus not using gate tracks.
Black Sequencer still looks tempitng with its ease of use. So yeah I might just add something smaller like Varigate for additional drum tracks. I'll check Roubaux SWT16+ as well.

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:42 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:23 am
realeoin wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:43 am
Kosmikos wrote:

Yes, I had a Behringer Sequential Controller before my Black Sequencer, and it is a totally different experience.
(TBH the tuning drove me crazy as I didn’t have a quantiser at the time).

Here’s what the Black Sequencer’s manual says about the increments:
For microtonal scales, rotate the relevant encoder clockwise to increase the tune for up to 50 cents and counterclockwise to decrease it for up to 50 cents. The OLED will indicate microtonal changes next to the relevant note in the scale.
Increments are one cent by one cent, so lots of clickety clicks and using the shift button you go directly to the next semitone.
IIRC there isn't an indicator of microtonal/cents adjustments per step unless you are editing the step.
So, for instance, a 16 step sequence made of C0 steps with small cents adjustments per step shows only a sequence of 16 C0 steps with no indication that the pitch is actually different between steps.
Would be nice to have some indication at the pattern level.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:13 pm

4LEW wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:21 pm
Ok thanks. Not really looking for a full drum kit sequencer as I have most of drums covered with my MPC sampler, also used to sync all my midi and cv devices. I was just hoping for that trigger mode to give me some extra options to sequence my DFAM or Basimilus not using gate tracks.
Black Sequencer still looks tempitng with its ease of use. So yeah I might just add something smaller like Varigate for additional drum tracks. I'll check Roubaux SWT16+ as well.
The Mod/ Trigger might give you what you want. Effectively you have 4 pitch/gate tracks and another 4 trigger tracks. It’s just the trigger tracks are tied to the main tracks and don’t have all the fancy stuff (ratchets, etc.). But you could flip it around and use the gates for percussion and the mod/triggers for your CV sequences. That way you use the probability and ratchets on percussion.

I’d try it and then add another trigger sequencer if you feel the need.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:31 pm

batch wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:13 pm

But you could flip it around and use the gates for percussion and the mod/triggers for your CV sequences. That way you use the probability and ratchets on percussion.
I thought of that too... BUT, it would be pretty fiddly to do it that way, for a couple reasons. For one thing, the main CV track does not update it's value on steps where no Gate is present on the main Gate track. So reversing the Gates/Mod Trigs would mean notes can only change on steps where a drum beat occurs. I think you could overcome that using note ties, but that's too fiddly for me, and likely most people.

Paulyvoks
Common Wiggler

Post by Paulyvoks » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:56 pm

So...when is the new firmware with the record function gonna drop?

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:43 pm

CV, gate and modulation recording are listed on page 20 of the manual released today. Maybe there already?
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:41 pm

been checking in everyday waiting for it to drop !

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Has anyone replaced their Rene V2 (as in, now that you have the Black, you're either going to sell or box up the Rene) for a Black Sequencer? Any regrets?

I mean, I could keep Rene when I add Black. But I have other sequencing tools around, and really don't plan to keep Rene if I go for Black Sequencer, as even though they are different, I plan to use it in a very similar vein. I do think I'll miss Rene's snaking ability, but ultimately think it's worth it given everything else Black Sequencer brings to the party.

I have Vector as well (has been unracked for a couple months... will most likely sell), but found myself falling into too much of a DAW-like overthinking of sequences, so hoping Black Sequencer helps me find that balance between Rene's hands-on serendipity with Vector's control - not being able to match either fully, but getting close enough.

aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:54 am

Black Sequencer fully replaced Rene2 (and even Hermod) for me but YMMV depending on what features you are using. For me the differences were not significant enough and the added features (e.g. just having a display) more than made up for it.

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:27 am

aphex2000 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:54 am
Black Sequencer fully replaced Rene2 (and even Hermod) for me but YMMV depending on what features you are using. For me the differences were not significant enough and the added features (e.g. just having a display) more than made up for it.
Thanks for the feedback! I've got the Black Sequencer on order from DetroitModular - can't wait to get my hands on it.

RingAndTones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RingAndTones » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:18 am

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:53 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:20 pm

YESSSS excited to dive in later

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:02 pm

RingAndTones wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:18 am
1.02 is out, wohooo! :love:
https://www.ericasynths.lv/news/bseq-102/
Awesome! I originally said I wouldn't buy the Erica until the Midi/CV recording was implemented, but then I saw a really good deal and took a chance.
No regrets!

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:47 am

The gift that keeps on giving...Thanks very much for the update Erica Synths!

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:54 am

I'm getting some quirky behavior from the Record Monitor with Midi input. It always wants to revert back to the last pitch that the sequencer played, the moment I let off of a key. So, unless my sound has a release time of zero, I hear it go back to a previous pitch after every note I play.

Anyone figure out if there's a way to stop that from happening?

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:33 pm

SingleCell wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:54 am
I'm getting some quirky behavior from the Record Monitor with Midi input. It always wants to revert back to the last pitch that the sequencer played, the moment I let off of a key. So, unless my sound has a release time of zero, I hear it go back to a previous pitch after every note I play.

Anyone figure out if there's a way to stop that from happening?
Not near mine to check, but there’s a setting somewhere that affects if the note reverts, freezes, etc. see if that also applies to recording/monitoring?

Edit: scratch that, that setting relates to CV mute.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:15 am

Hi!

With the new update i cant change octaves of voices in performance mode, is this happening to anyone else?

Cheers

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:58 am

I can't change the octave either in performance mode...
And, CV IN - function ADD (or anything else) - is not working. With MIDI the ADD is working.

edit: solution for the 2nd case: CV IN function ADD is only working if you also set SETUP RECORD, SOURCE = ANALOG ! So, both settings must be ANALOG - SETUP I/O and SETUP RECORD

edit2: the octave in performance mode works:
original text from manual:
Rotate the DATA encoder to transpose tracks by octaves OR push one of first 12 step encoders to transpose the sequence by semitones.

should be:
Rotate the DATA encoder to transpose tracks by octaves AND push one of first 12 step encoders to transpose the sequence by semitones.
red

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm

Speaking of transpose; Is there any way to transpose a sequence and have it hold there? Like without having to continuously hold down the 1-16 encoders?

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:14 pm

JRC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm
Speaking of transpose; Is there any way to transpose a sequence and have it hold there? Like without having to continuously hold down the 1-16 encoders?
You don't need to hold the encoder down. It adjusts the sequence when you click it.
Last edited by auditorycanvas on Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”