Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Re: Erica Synths Black Sequencer

Post by auditorycanvas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:14 pm

Double post.

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:42 pm

auditorycanvas wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:14 pm
JRC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm
Speaking of transpose; Is there any way to transpose a sequence and have it hold there? Like without having to continuously hold down the 1-16 encoders?
You don't need to hold the encoder down. It adjusts the sequence when you click it.
Oh boy...mine does...I have to hold the encoder down for the sequence to stay transposed. Once I let off with my finger it reverts back to the original sequence.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:50 pm

JRC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:42 pm
auditorycanvas wrote:
JRC wrote:
Speaking of transpose; Is there any way to transpose a sequence and have it hold there? Like without having to continuously hold down the 1-16 encoders?
You don't need to hold the encoder down. It adjusts the sequence when you click it.
Oh boy...mine does...I have to hold the encoder down for the sequence to stay transposed. Once I let off with my finger it reverts back to the original sequence.
Really? Even with a quick push of the encoder? I'll have to check mine when I'm near it later. Maybe it changed in a recent update?

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:55 pm

auditorycanvas wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:50 pm
JRC wrote:
auditorycanvas wrote:
JRC wrote:
Really? Even with a quick push of the encoder? I'll have to check mine when I'm near it later. Maybe it changed in a recent update?
JUST figured it out! It's Shift + Encoder to lock it in!

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:02 pm

JRC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:55 pm
auditorycanvas wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:50 pm
JRC wrote:
auditorycanvas wrote:
JRC wrote:
JUST figured it out! It's Shift + Encoder to lock it in!
Oh, sweet. I don't recall having to use shift, but it may have changed, or I may just be mistaken.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi! Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Wow!
Changes don’t remain when going out of performance mode?
Cheers!

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm

Would be great if in overview mode, where you can change clock, play mode, start end....you could select a track and edit in that screen the gates, that way you could have a direct feedback of where notes are overlapping from different tracks etc...

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm

djthopa wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:12 pm
Wow!
Cheers!
I just checked mine, and get the same. I don't remember if it remained when exiting performance mode before. I'm tempted to flash back the old firmware to see if it has changed, or was always that way.

One alternative, though it may not respect differences in key, is if you hold the Data encoder down, click and hold the first encoder down, then click the last encoder to select all notes, then transpose any of the notes, and the rest will follow.

JRC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JRC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:24 pm

auditorycanvas wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm
djthopa wrote:
Wow!
Cheers!
I just checked mine, and get the same. I don't remember if it remained when exiting performance mode before. I'm tempted to flash back the old firmware to see if it has changed, or was always that way.

One alternative, though it may not respect differences in key, is if you hold the Data encoder down, click and hold the first encoder down, then click the last encoder to select all notes, then transpose any of the notes, and the rest will follow.
That's a great trick, thanks!

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:27 pm

:party: Hey that’s a great trick!
Thanks a bunch!

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:29 pm

JRC wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:24 pm
auditorycanvas wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm
djthopa wrote:
Wow!
Cheers!

That's a great trick, thanks!
Cool. It works on any selection of notes, you don't have to select all of them. You can also apply Magic to just the selected notes too, as well as other adjustments.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:42 pm

Yes and the selection stays when changing track too :)

aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:48 am

Speaking of transposing, is there a way to transpose multiple channels via a single midi channel in parallel?

Aiyn Zahev
Common Wiggler

Post by Aiyn Zahev » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:32 pm

I'm roughly familiar with the feature sets, but does anyone here have anything to say about the Erica Black Sequencer vs the Five12 Vector sequencer?
Or is that better discussed in another thread?
I ask because I definitely want some hands on control, which Erica has more of, but Vector has a much more detailed display, which combined with 8 encodes does seem like a very nice combination.

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:05 pm

I considered Vector but realized that unless you get the expander, it cannot touch the IO of the Black Seq. But then you're talking about 54 hp instead of 42 and about $500 more for the entire Vector package.

That said, they both have fun features and the workflow is a bit different. Vector is a much better midi sequencer if that is important to you. In the end, I went with Black Seq because it packs a really good punch for features, IO and price.

mishka
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mishka » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:17 pm

do not know if this a dumb question because i can not find any info about the cv output range. i asume it is unipolar 0v-5v/10v? to control one of the moog semimodulars the mscale is needed? or maybe there is an option where this can be configured? if there is some info in the manual please let me know because i have not found any. thanks!

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm

The pitch tracks are unipolar, the mod tracks are bipolar and can be used as pitch tracks (using the CV Note option in setup).

Also, you don’t really need an mscale for the M32 in my opinion, just be aware that whatever goes in to the 1V/oct is added to the sequencer values. So just set the sequencer to the lowest possible note by clicking the left arrow so the LED is all the way to the left and then hitting the “C”. Should work.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

mishka
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mishka » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:08 am

Thanks! I do not have the mother but a dfam and am thinking about a subharmonicon. the black sequencer would be a great match with four 1v/oct if only it was bipolar. maybe i have to think about it again if i like to add some offset modules like the mscale the 321 or whatever.
batch wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm
The pitch tracks are unipolar, the mod tracks are bipolar and can be used as pitch tracks (using the CV Note option in setup).

Also, you don’t really need an mscale for the M32 in my opinion, just be aware that whatever goes in to the 1V/oct is added to the sequencer values. So just set the sequencer to the lowest possible note by clicking the left arrow so the LED is all the way to the left and then hitting the “C”. Should work.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:54 pm

mishka wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:08 am
Thanks! I do not have the mother but a dfam and am thinking about a subharmonicon. the black sequencer would be a great match with four 1v/oct if only it was bipolar. maybe i have to think about it again if i like to add some offset modules like the mscale the 321 or whatever.
batch wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm

As said, the mod tracks can be used as pitch tracks and are bipolar so work with the Moogs.

You can also use the pitch CVs too. Just be aware that what goes in is added to what ever you have the sequencer pitch AND the frequency knobs set to. So just set them where you want. In other words, if you want the Erica in complete control, disengage sequencer on the DFAM, don’t use the sequencer on the Sub and turn the selected step to zero, do what I suggested on M32. It’s doable, just need to be creative in your patching which is what modular is about.

Be aware that With the Sub and the M32 they are quantized, with the DFAM they are not.

Combined this means you can do some cool things as you can sequence the sequencer. However saying this, I have the three Moogs and they are pretty capable from a sequencing perspective (yes, the Erica is more intuitive) and so would advise playing with them first before adding a battleship sequencer. The sequencers for the DFAM and Sub are really integral to how they work (IMHO).
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:03 am

SingleCell wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:50 am
Girts23 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 am
Record functionality coming soon!
Have fun!
Girts
Also, from manual:
FEATURES
> 4 CV/GATE/Modulation tracks
> CV/GATE/MOD recording
> MIDI IN and MIDI OUT

..... not nuts/dreaming.
Have these "Features" been added yet?. Being able to record via CV and MIDI is important. I'm jumping on the bandwagon here.... considering a purchase. I already have a Hermod. 8-) I'm also considering a USTA but it looks a bit confusing.. :eek:

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:08 pm

glennfin wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:03 am
SingleCell wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:50 am
Girts23 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 am
Record functionality coming soon!
Have fun!
Girts
Also, from manual:
FEATURES
> 4 CV/GATE/Modulation tracks
> CV/GATE/MOD recording
> MIDI IN and MIDI OUT

..... not nuts/dreaming.
Have these "Features" been added yet?. Being able to record via CV and MIDI is important. I'm jumping on the bandwagon here.... considering a purchase. I already have a Hermod. 8-) I'm also considering a USTA but it looks a bit confusing.. :eek:
MIDI recording is definitely in. I use my OPZ and just record OPZ sequences right in. It's great. Haven't tried cv/gate in yet but I understand the feature is there. TBH what I really want is for cv/gate in is to modulate the parameters of sequences/patterns/the magic button.

For what it is worth, I tried Usta and couldn't wrap my head around it after a week with it. Black Seq is the most intuitive euro seq I've tried by far.

SingleCell
Common Wiggler

Post by SingleCell » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:23 pm

glennfin wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:03 am
Yes, recording has been added. I find it a little weird though. When playing in notes from midi, when I let off of a key, it instantly reverts to the last note that the sequencer played on that track... so if the sound has any release time, it jumps to another note as it fades out.

It really needs to stay on the last note played into it until the sequencer plays a new note (with an active gate). I'm hoping it gets fixed sooner than later.

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:16 pm

On a related topic: Is there an official place to send feature requests?

everythingcontinues
Common Wiggler

Post by everythingcontinues » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:08 pm

SOPiiAC wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:16 pm
On a related topic: Is there an official place to send feature requests?
https://bit.ly/3qGk0c2

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:01 pm

Zing! You really got me with your tired old trope! Perhaps in your haste to stick it to me you failed to think that maybe not everyone thinks a feature request deserves an individual support ticket. :hmm:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”