Klavis - CalTrans

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

User avatar
paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Stockholm

Post by paperCUT » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:17 pm

sir stony wrote:I don't think trying to squeeze many more modes and options into this wonderful module is a great idea. If it had a few more ways of visual feedback like a display or a couple more leds, ok.

But it's really a great module already, as it is, and for a reasonable price considering the hours of unavoidable tuning work saved over a couple of years of use. If people need precision adders and cv'able transposers, there are other modules to do that, thinking e.g. vpme t43 and frequency central transeuropa. They are good, but not everyone needs them, and modules that are overstuffed with features and too little visual feedback about what's going on are a sure call for chaos to get lost in, and nobody is a fan of that, right?

I'd prefer to leave the caltrans as it is, nice and slim, but maybe make a bigger brother to it which incorporates such extras, also maybe all the different scales that are in the twin waves, too? Looking at the the µO_C, it wouldn't even have to be any bigger than that.
That's a fair point. After the first 20 mins I had the whole module committed to memory, certainly a welcome change from menu diving.

The thing I cared least about when I got it was the presets but now it's the real power of the module. To illustrate I just recorded this:

Patch is attenuated rising saw into first input on Caltrans. Caltrans feeding all 4 vcos in A-143-4. Then into Derish for delay.

All the variation is from preset switching and adjusting delay, I didn't touch anything else. You can hear in parts the speed the cv changes causes pops 8-)

https://soundcloud.com/tensiontype/calt ... esets-only


Edit: I didn't think to add the quantizer on different channels, next demo!

User avatar
paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Stockholm

Post by paperCUT » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:11 am

When changing presets it seems like the previous g/p 'states' are still remembered if you're quick enough, as in if it was slowing gliding up to a note and you switch to a new preset - but then back it remembers where it was along the path. Zentek is that correct? It makes for some really interesting variations.

I'm committed this weekend to make a patch that controls every module I dare from those 4 outs just changing presets 8-)

The spreading of 4 tightly tuned triangle waves, again just changing presets (no fx at all).

https://soundcloud.com/tensiontype/calt ... ets-only-2

User avatar
j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:02 pm
Location: blono, il

Post by j_dowe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:46 am

I think I need this.

One question .... I'm sending MIDI that is already tweaked for alternate tunings (e.g. Just Intonation, etc. etc.) and then converted to CV. As long as I don't turn on the semitone quantization, the calibration shouldn't affect any sort of micro-tuning, correct?

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:15 am

j_dowe wrote:I think I need this.

One question .... I'm sending MIDI that is already tweaked for alternate tunings (e.g. Just Intonation, etc. etc.) and then converted to CV. As long as I don't turn on the semitone quantization, the calibration shouldn't affect any sort of micro-tuning, correct?
Yes. That's right.

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4262
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by lisa » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:44 am

I can’t find CalTrans anywhere in Europé atm. When will a new batch be available?
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂


User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:04 am

lisa wrote:I can’t find CalTrans anywhere in Europé atm. When will a new batch be available?
According to the tracking, I should receive the shipment ... TODAY ! :sb:
Allow me the time do the checking, programming, packaging and shipping to retailers.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4262
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by lisa » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:35 am

Ah! Lovely. :loves:

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 am

Post by ookrsia » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:38 am

Has anyone had any problems with the Caltrans possibly not working with some module? I am especially curious about using it with filters.

My guess is that a filter that outputs a solid sine should work fine, but of course if the output signal gets slightly hairy Caltrans will not work with the module, right?

Also, I'm positively surprised to see that they actually recommend using the module with Buchla (hz/V) devices!

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:41 am

ookrsia wrote:Has anyone had any problems with the Caltrans possibly not working with some module? I am especially curious about using it with filters.

My guess is that a filter that outputs a solid sine should work fine, but of course if the output signal gets slightly hairy Caltrans will not work with the module, right?
You are absolutely right, as long as the filter (put in resonance) provides a solid sine, it will work perfect. If the signal becomes unusable at some point, the notes from there and beyond (below) will not be playable.
Also, I'm positively surprised to see that they actually recommend using the module with Buchla (hz/V) devices!
Beware, we don't deal here with Volt/Hertz but various Buchla ranges such as 1.2V/Oct or 2V/Oct.

Analog VCOs drift away from their straight V/Oct curve at the top and bottom which is unavoidable by design.
To make the most of the situation, the CalTrans allows the spacing between semitones to be far off the Eurorack's 1/12th of a volt.
Since this capability is always there, it allows tracking oscillators that are not 1 V/Oct. You can easily test the feature by putting an attenuvertor in front of a standard V/Oct input to "create" a non-standard VCO and see how the CalTrans behaves.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 am

Post by ookrsia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 am

Zentek wrote: You are absolutely right, as long as the filter (put in resonance) provides a solid sine, it will work perfect. If the signal becomes unusable at some point, the notes from there and beyond (below) will not be playable.
Good to know! I was kinda hoping Caltrans could be used to solve the wacky volt/octave performance of my Akemie's Taiko, but I think it's probably not possible to make it output clear waveforms.

Zentek wrote: Beware, we don't deal here with Volt/Hertz but various Buchla ranges such as 1.2V/Oct or 2V/Oct.
Thanks for this correction. For some reason I had convinced myself that Buchla use Volt/Hertz!

User avatar
Tun
Common Wiggler
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Thailand

Post by Tun » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 am

Bought. Love it. Plays great with Marbles. I have all 4 Klavis modules now but unfortunately no room for a Quadigy. Only one thing for it, I'll have to start another row :goo:

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:43 am

Tun wrote:Bought. Love it. Plays great with Marbles. I have all 4 Klavis modules now but unfortunately no room for a Quadigy. Only one thing for it, I'll have to start another row :goo:
Thanks a lot. Please send a picture! :party:

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

User avatar
Tun
Common Wiggler
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Thailand

Post by Tun » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:28 am

Zentek

Sorry the Caltrans isn't next to the other 3. To be honest I need to do some reorganising and I doubt the others will stay side by side for much longer.

Image

Cheers :tu:
Last edited by Tun on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tun
Common Wiggler
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Thailand

Post by Tun » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 am

paperCUT wrote:
That's a fair point. After the first 20 mins I had the whole module committed to memory, certainly a welcome change from menu diving.
Agreed

User avatar
deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Post by deftinwulf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:08 pm

williamjturkel wrote:By the way, if you are looking for ideas for future projects, please make a 16hp 4x4 matrix mixer using the same knob and switch arrangement you used for Mixwitch. I need one for each of my cases.
+1, this would be badass.

User avatar
Heliophile
Common Wiggler
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Heliophile » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Just bought a CalTrans, expecting that it will save me a lot of headaches! The manual states that you shouldn't touch the coarse tuning knobs of your oscillators again after calibration, but that is very difficult with some of my oscillators, which might get knocked out of tune very easily. Can't I just tune them to, say, C1 before calibration and then, if the knobs get bumped, tune them to that note again before patching them into CalTrans? I don't see how that could destroy my calibration.
Heliophile - synthpop
http://heliophile.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am

Heliophile wrote:Just bought a CalTrans, expecting that it will save me a lot of headaches! The manual states that you shouldn't touch the coarse tuning knobs of your oscillators again after calibration, but that is very difficult with some of my oscillators, which might get knocked out of tune very easily. Can't I just tune them to, say, C1 before calibration and then, if the knobs get bumped, tune them to that note again before patching them into CalTrans? I don't see how that could destroy my calibration.
Sure! If you put the knob back in place as closely as possible it will be OK.

The phrasing in the manual is maybe not the best?
Thanks for drawing my attention.

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Graffie
Common Wiggler
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:16 am

Re: Klavis - CalTrans

Post by Graffie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 am

The more I think about it, the more I like it. It definitely would solve some tracking issue's while also opening up new posibilities and it optimizes my workflow. This might very well become my third Klavis module i'm buying within relatively short time span. Very nice module considering its size, functionality and price. Starting to become a Klavis fanboy :hail:

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”