Klavis - CalTrans

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Riggar
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Klavis - CalTrans

Post by Riggar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:10 am

There's something I'm not clear about regarding presets. It may be obvious to some but I can 't quite see where it's stated. Here' the query - suppose I have 8 VCOs and I set up and calibrate 4 and all is fine, and I save that to preset 1. Later I want to use the other 4 in combination - I calibrate those and save to preset 2. Now (I'm assuming) depending which group of 4 VCOs I want to use I simply select preset 1 or 2. Is this right?

This is the bit in the manual that leads me to that thinking ....'Each preset stores the transposition, portamento and glissando for all four channels.
Each preset also stores the input scaling for all four channels. This way, each preset can handle a different voltage source if needed'

BUT later - '8. Note that CalTrans automatically can store a single V/Octave Calibration setting for each of its four channels. However, the same setting will be applied to all four presets. The setting for any channel can be updated at any time using the procedure here, but only one setting is stored at a time.'

I'm confused - and I'm not clear what the bold statements above mean? Any help appreciated.

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:32 am

Pitch calibration is not per preset

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:13 am

Riggar wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:10 am
This way, each preset can handle a different voltage source if needed'[/i]
This relates to the Caltrans inputs calibration.
In case you want to use the CT with various (CV melodic) sources that require a different V/Oct calibration.
This is the case when the V/Oct setting cannot be adjusted on these generators.
Therefore, you could use presets to recall a V/Oct setting according to a source.
If all your CV melodic sources are OK regarding V/Oct, you will not need different settings/presets for that use.
Riggar wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:10 am
BUT later - '8. Note that CalTrans automatically can store a single V/Octave Calibration setting for each of its four channels. However, the same setting will be applied to all four presets. The setting for any channel can be updated at any time using the procedure here, but only one setting is stored at a time.'
This one is for the CalTrans outputs. This is the relation between the CT and each of the VCOs attached.
For each channel, the same V/Oct setting applies regardless of the presets.

I hope it is clearer now :wink:
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

SarahB
Common Wiggler

Post by SarahB » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:27 am

Just wondering.. can the CalTrans be used just as a 4 channel quantizer? Can I send an LFO into the input and get quantised voltage at the output?

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:30 pm

SarahB wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:27 am
Just wondering.. can the CalTrans be used just as a 4 channel quantizer? Can I send an LFO into the input and get quantised voltage at the output?
Yes. You can use any number of channels in Neutral calibration in order to only use their musical features (quantizer, transposition, portamento and glissando)
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Riggar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Riggar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am

Yes that's great - got it now thanks - one on order!

Dizzy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dizzy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:17 am

Hello. Hopefully somebody can help me out. Calibrating the Zero-Coast and the Dixie2+ works very well. And it works with all my Sequencers ( Generators ). Thats why I really want/need to calibrate Plaits and the BIA but it won't work. Any advises?

Thank you

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:13 am

You need to setup Plaits and BIA so that you get a clean, simple waveform out of them. And they need to drone, of course.. so nothing plugged into the trig input on Plaits.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

Dizzy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dizzy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 am

Thank you. Hm, at least with the plaits I did it with a clean signal. Anybody else had problems with calibrating plaits?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:59 am

What kind of error do you get?
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

Octognoma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Octognoma » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:00 am

Dizzy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 am
Thank you. Hm, at least with the plaits I did it with a clean signal. Anybody else had problems with calibrating plaits?
Took me a while. I went through all the modes before realizing that plaits itself needed a calibration doing.

After doing the mutable calibration process it worked first time on green algorithm no 1.

i turned down Timbre, morph and harmonics and used the main output. I also found that restricting the v/oct range helped when doing the calibration.

Rings however . . . i dont think its possible!

Dizzy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dizzy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 am

I don’t get an error message. Only the upper 2 yellow leds light up. If I play it then with my keyboard the Oktave „loops“.
I guess the calibration from plaits itself is good. If I play it directly with my keyboard it is very stable.
The reason why I want it to use with CalTrans, is because I use different „generators“ and that works good for me ( zero coast, Dixie )

Dizzy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dizzy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 pm

Perfekt, this was the key for calibrating plaits:

"i turned down Timbre, morph and harmonics and used the main output. I also found that restricting the v/oct range helped when doing the calibration."

But still no chance with the BIA.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Nice that you managed to solve it with Plaits. What are you doing to get BIA to drone?

Dizzy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dizzy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:06 pm

I droned it with an lfo ( Pulse Audio Rate )recently and then it worked. Maybe not perfekt, but good enough.

Thank you

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:22 pm

I hate tuning oscillators and this looks perfect, have any better alternatives come out since this was released or is this the best option?

lturner241
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lturner241 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:51 am

I seem to have a bit of a tuning issue when using CalTrans. The oscillators calibrate fine, including Plaits, but when I play C1 of my keyboard it is playing a -40 cents flattened C# through CalTrans. If I then plug the CV directly into the oscillator it plays a C. With Plaits I can access C0. After calibrating with CalTrans the lowest I can get is C1. This is not an issue but the sharpened C1 is.

I've checked the cv voltage with a multimeter and it is showing the correct voltages. Is there a reset that will recalibrate the input voltage for C1?

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:20 pm

What is the scaling tolerance for Caltrans? After calibrating a few different oscillators, I seem to be drifting about 8-10 cents per octave. Without Caltrans, those same oscillators tend to drift about 5-6 cents.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:39 pm

Can someone please confirm what the base note output of their default, neutral-calibrated CalTrans output is with no input? In other words, with just the CV output connected to your oscillator and no transposition at all, with your oscillator tuned to C1, what note gets played? For me it's F1, and I'm confused as to why its output isn't 0V at the neutral position. Maybe I've missed something obvious.

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:01 am

lturner241 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:51 am
I seem to have a bit of a tuning issue when using CalTrans. The oscillators calibrate fine, including Plaits, but when I play C1 of my keyboard it is playing a -40 cents flattened C# through CalTrans. If I then plug the CV directly into the oscillator it plays a C. With Plaits I can access C0. After calibrating with CalTrans the lowest I can get is C1. This is not an issue but the sharpened C1 is.

I've checked the cv voltage with a multimeter and it is showing the correct voltages. Is there a reset that will recalibrate the input voltage for C1?
The input range of the CalTrans is zero to 7V.
However, the voltages very close to both ends are not handled (tens of mV). This is why the lowest note is altered.

Keep in mind that there are no rules/standard about absolute notes in modular; V/Oct only defines relative pitch spacing.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 am

Zentek,

Can you please describe what the output of a neutrally calibrated / untransposed output should be with no voltage at the input?

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:04 am

soon_come wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 am
Can you please describe what the output of a neutrally calibrated / untransposed output should be with no voltage at the input?
Around 40mV.
It relates to the input whose lowest usable voltage is a bit above zero.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 am

Zentek wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:04 am
soon_come wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 am
Around 40mV.
It relates to the input whose lowest usable voltage is a bit above zero.
Thanks for the quick response. So why would my CalTrans be outputting what is essentially an F note (a fourth above) at neutral settings when my oscillator is tuned to a C? Clearly I’m missing something. I’ve done the neutral calibration for each channel as the manual suggests.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:58 am

soon_come wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 am
Thanks for the quick response. So why would my CalTrans be outputting what is essentially an F note (a fourth above) at neutral settings when my oscillator is tuned to a C? Clearly I’m missing something. I’ve done the neutral calibration for each channel as the manual suggests.
You’ve probably already done this, but just to ask: Have you reset transposition by simultaneously pressing both push encoders?

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 am

mvdirty wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:58 am
soon_come wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 am
You’ve probably already done this, but just to ask: Have you reset transposition by simultaneously pressing both push encoders?
Sure have. All settings as neutral as possible.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”