4HP (cheap) Clock Divider

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Best 4HP Clock Divider?

Doepfer A-160-2
43%
PMFoundations C-DIV
2%
omsonic Clock Divider MK2
2%
4ms Rotating Clock Divider
38%
other
15%

Total votes: 47

the_lorn_teat_flag
Learning to Wiggle

4HP (cheap) Clock Divider

Post by the_lorn_teat_flag » Wed May 22, 2019 10:46 am

Hi all :)

I'm looking for a cheaper version of the Doepfer A-160-2. Maybe a DIY kit.
I've seen 3 modules that seems really good for the price:
- PMFoundations C-DIV
- omsonic Clock Divider MK2
- 4ms Rotating Clock Divider

The omsonic is the cheapest but got less outputs than the PMF or 4ms, no /64 /128 but do you guys use those outputs really often?

Has someone already tried these 4 modules and can give me a comparison? ;)

Thanks,
Florent

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Wed May 22, 2019 10:55 am

SSSR Labs VC divider can be bought as a diy kit.

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Wed May 22, 2019 11:31 am

I mostly use my A-160-2 /64 output to trigger a sequential switch when I want to alternately send two sequences into a single source, or trigger a sequencer which is transposing another sequencer. I really like the odd divisions, especially when OR combining them to make rhythms.
What way are you planning to use a clock divider?

York Modular also makes a very cheap 4hp one:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/YorkModular

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 4HP (cheap) Clock Divider

Post by euromorcego » Wed May 22, 2019 3:34 pm

the_lorn_teat_flag wrote: The omsonic is the cheapest but got less outputs than the PMF or 4ms, no /64 /128 but do you guys use those outputs really often?
Has someone already tried these 4 modules and can give me a comparison? ;)
as usual, there is no "best". Many of the cheaper DIY modules also use the same or a similar chips, like the 4024 binary counter. So they should not differ that much ... only in how elaborate the remaining circuitry is (e.g. if there is an input comparator, etc ...).

I mostly use the dividers with audio rate, or, the other side, as very slow modulation (clocking once per bar, then some parameter slightly changes its values every 16 or 32 bars, etc ... a bit like a song structure). For these case more outputs are better, but many differences (for example between musical and mathematical division) do not matter much. For other applications, e.g. to trigger percussion sounds, other features might be more important ... so the answer is: it depends (at usual).

In addition to those mentioned, also zlob had a very nice 2hp clock divider, unfortunately discontinued. And NLC has a few (eg https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nonlinear ... de-conquer), not 4hp but more versatile.

The SSSR labs is also quite good (but entirely different compared to those above, based on microcontroller, with cv input, but only one output). This one is nice, to e.g. create rhythms by putting both parts through a XOR.

presidentofvice
Common Wiggler

Post by presidentofvice » Wed May 22, 2019 5:58 pm

I love the 4ms RCD. Use it in every patch. The problem with the Doepfer (unless I'm mistaken) is that you can't use a division of say, 3 and 4 at the same time (which I do all the time). Plus it, you know, rotates... :spin:

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Circuit Abbey G8 is also worth looking into.

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Thu May 23, 2019 4:18 am

The omsonic is on sale now. Does anyone have experience with this divider? Has it also got the 4024 chip inside?
What about its build quality? Is the panel aluminium or PCB etc.

the_lorn_teat_flag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by the_lorn_teat_flag » Thu May 23, 2019 4:28 am

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your answers :)
Yes my plan is to use it to trigger a sequencer every 4 or 8 measure to transpose an other sequence. To create a song structure in a way ;)

I'll have a look and compare all the above-mentioned modules on modulargrid.

Thanks,
Florent

the_lorn_teat_flag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by the_lorn_teat_flag » Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 am

Hi mmpingo

I've asked Fenn @omsonic and here is his answer:
The sale ends on the 31st of this month.
The panels are standard 1.6mm FR4 fiberglass (PCB) and yes the dividers are based on the 4024 IC.

Cheers

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Thu May 23, 2019 7:22 am

Great! Thanks for your help. I'll get one.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am

Remember to check and see if the divider is a "Musical" or "Mathematical" type. One works with the musical downbeat, the other doesn't. Easiest way to check is with a reset. On reset a musical one will have all outs going high, a mathematical one they will all go low. This makes a difference id clocking sequencers with them.

-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

david_r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by david_r » Thu May 23, 2019 11:36 am

atrostor wrote:Circuit Abbey G8 is also worth looking into.
+1
This is what I use, very flexible with different modes.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Yup, also was going to mention G8.

DCastillo
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by DCastillo » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am
Remember to check and see if the divider is a "Musical" or "Mathematical" type. One works with the musical downbeat, the other doesn't. Easiest way to check is with a reset. On reset a musical one will have all outs going high, a mathematical one they will all go low. This makes a difference id clocking sequencers with them.

Apparently there is a 3rd type of divider that the Omsonic falls into. Maybe there's already a name for it?

It's definitely not anything I'm used to, but at the same time curious about the musical applications for this sort of cascading division.

Here's what it looks like:
Attachments
omsonic_clock_divider.png
omsonic_clock_divider.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 181 times

PlateOfShrimp
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 4HP (cheap) Clock Divider

Post by PlateOfShrimp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:40 pm

I got the kit for the rcd which was an easy build and cost effective. The breakout makes it more interesting but adds another 4 hp, but you can set the parameters with jumpers on the pcb if you want to use it the same way each time. The rotation feature is a lot of fun for your purpose depending on how rigid you want the song to be, but it's generally great for experimentation, and I get a lot of musical results out of it too.

I saw the circuit abbey g8 mentioned earlier, and i was looking at that one too when making my decision.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by flashheart » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:12 pm

DCastillo wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 pm
ersatzplanet wrote:

Apparently there is a 3rd type of divider that the Omsonic falls into. Maybe there's already a name for it?

It's definitely not anything I'm used to, but at the same time curious about the musical applications for this sort of cascading division.

If the black represents the clock going high, it's just mathematical division.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

DCastillo
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re:

Post by DCastillo » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:31 pm

flashheart wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:12 pm
DCastillo wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 pm
ersatzplanet wrote:

If the black represents the clock going high, it's just mathematical division.
Though it's different from the charts referenced above in that the gates never go high together, but instead synchronize on the "off" cycle. Very different from what I'm used to on the 4MS, but something that may have a special use case I have yet to discover.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”